HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps vs Devils - Prudential Center - 7pm - 12-23-11

Old
12-26-2011, 12:59 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
Im much less worried about 8 than you I guess...that said, I dont know how much of the old 8 we will see in terms of crushing people at every turn, that player cant last forever. He needs to figure it out and become a top offensive player again.....but I think he will
he needs to figure it out. if he can't, its up to the caps to do something about it.
if ov were making lucic money, i'd be fine with his performance. he's making best player in the league money.

if you think ov will return to 90% of hart trophy ov, then no need to trade him. if by the end of the season, the team is struggling and ov is sitting on 27 goals and the playoffs are more of the same, i am not sure how you can say that changing the gm would be the fix. the coach even.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:00 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
At some point he needs to stop whining to the press and let his play do the talk for him.
Look through the Capitals Insider archives from this season. Vokoun is a talkative guy. He has a lot to say about everything, and he doesn't hesitate to let that show when he talks to the media.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:18 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Look through the Capitals Insider archives from this season. Vokoun is a talkative guy. He has a lot to say about everything, and he doesn't hesitate to let that show when he talks to the media.
You're not telling me anything we don't already know. I love it when the coaches and players talk. What's mystifying is the woe is me card. He doesn't know what got him in this position....really? Fantasy world stuff if he doesn't know.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 01:32 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
You're not telling me anything we don't already know. I love it when the coaches and players talk. What's mystifying is the woe is me card. He doesn't know what got him in this position....really? Fantasy world stuff if he doesn't know.
You said it was whining. He gives his interpretation of everything to the media when they ask. His interpretation can certainly be wrong.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:46 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
You said it was whining. He gives his interpretation of everything to the media when they ask. His interpretation can certainly be wrong.
This isn't the first "i'm shocked" kind of quote he's dropped. It's kind of whining to the press for sympathy in my eyes....not a huge deal.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
he needs to figure it out. if he can't, its up to the caps to do something about it.
if ov were making lucic money, i'd be fine with his performance. he's making best player in the league money.

if you think ov will return to 90% of hart trophy ov, then no need to trade him. if by the end of the season, the team is struggling and ov is sitting on 27 goals and the playoffs are more of the same, i am not sure how you can say that changing the gm would be the fix. the coach even.
a couple things....

I didnt say that changing the GM would be a fix....I did say that I see Ted making that move before trading 8, if any drastic changes were made. Both are moves that would signal a new direction....

The difference in Lucic and Ovechkin, in terms of salary, is 52.....Its funny how I never see you taking this position on 52. You talk of his skills and production like it was yesterday.....he has fallen further off his game than 8, and for longer. Add to that....he has never been able to put it all together in the playoffs. How you can talk of moving 8 but not be out in front of making a decison on 52 is beyond me.....and lets not start on 55. If salary is your concern, which the above posts seems to indicate....how do you have 2.7 mil in a suit watching the game more nights than not

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 03:18 PM
txpd

i am not against trading 55 if they have decided he doesnt fit what they are doing.

the 8 situation and the 52 situation are very different. the issue with green is his ability to be available to play. his point per game performance v the rangers answered whether he could bring his game in the playoffs. the injury that diminished and then took him out of the next round certainly adds to the injury question.

once healthy it seems to me that his game is on display as ever with better defensive play.

8's game is not on display ever. its 40% diminished.

if these players became ufa's with their current stats available, i'd bet green signed a contract closer to or better than his current numbers than ovechkin. you disagree?

Old
12-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Mothra

Quote:
i am not against trading 55 if they have decided he doesnt fit what they are doing.

the 8 situation and the 52 situation are very different. the issue with green is his ability to be available to play. his point per game performance v the rangers answered whether he could bring his game in the playoffs. the injury that diminished and then took him out of the next round certainly adds to the injury question.

once healthy it seems to me that his game is on display as ever with better defensive play.

8's game is not on display ever. its 40% diminished.

if these players became ufa's with their current stats available, i'd bet green signed a contract closer to or better than his current numbers than ovechkin. you disagree?
You need to take a step back and look at your arguement here....

52, with one good (not great) playoff series has answered all playoff performance questions.

8, with 3g, 3a in the series is at 60%

not only that, but you take 8's regular season performance as a basis for your point, ignoring 52's, when he is even on the ice.

I disagree....if 8 where somehow able to opt out of his contract as a UFA im willing to bet teams would line up to sign him at the same sort of rate. What you are almost saying is, teams would not take him right now with his contract/performance. You think they would have to "dump" him?

I dont see 52 taking a cut in pay this off season...i know he is only a RFA (i think anyway)

You say 52's game, once healthy (a much bigger concern IMO that if 8 finds his game) is "game is on display as ever". He hasnt been that guy since 09-10....you act like he was tearing it up last season...or when he was on the ice this season. The guy has what sounds like a serious injury...the kind that could very well impact "his game" which is skating with the puck. Yet you fully expect him to return to the regular season form of 2 seasons ago....and then duplicate that in the spring

at the same time, 8 is practically done...not for some real reason like a ripped groin, but just done because now he is on pace for another 30 goal season, or whatever it is.

I dont get you sometime

Old
12-26-2011, 04:36 PM
txpd

* Didnt say green answer all the questions. I said it was a significant step in the right direction.

* 3g 3a 8 games. yes. he was injured in game 1 v tampa and failed to play thru it. i am good with blaming his brittleness there. but he was scoring in each game til he was injured.

* seriously? if Ov finishes a second straight season at 30 goals or under with a fairly full compliment of games, you think someone steps up with 10 years at $9m? no chance. none

i'll just leave it at this. ovechkin's performance and contract is a peril for this team for the long haul if this player does not pick up his game. i am hoping he brings it back. i am praying. green? green's contract expires after this season and after his injuries he is not going to be expecting a long term deal. there is no albatross hanging in his locker.

i see them as two different things. i worry about them both.

in a nutshell i am throwing up the caution flag. i am no longer in the "he's fine. he will come around" catagory. i am in the worried catagory. its not bruce's fault anymore. its not backstrom's fault like it might have been last season. backstrom is out performing him to a significant degree.

i am surprised that you dont get that.

Old
12-26-2011, 04:50 PM
Mothra

Quote:
* Didnt say green answer all the questions. I said it was a significant step in the right direction.
maybe thats what you meant....but this is what you said

"his point per game performance v the rangers answered whether he could bring his game in the playoffs"

Quote:
* seriously? if Ov finishes a second straight season at 30 goals or under with a fairly full compliment of games, you think someone steps up with 10 years at $9m? no chance. none
I think you are wrong....teams would line up. have you seen the contracts players get? If you dont think a GM/owner wanted to make a splash by bringing in a still young player, entering his prime....thinking, "he just needs a fresh start" the you are kidding yourself

Quote:
i'll just leave it at this. ovechkin's performance and contract is a peril for this team for the long haul if this player does not pick up his game. i am hoping he brings it back. i am praying. green? green's contract expires after this season and after his injuries he is not going to be expecting a long term deal. there is no albatross hanging in his locker.

i see them as two different things. i worry about them both.

in a nutshell i am throwing up the caution flag. i am no longer in the "he's fine. he will come around" catagory. i am in the worried catagory. its not bruce's fault anymore. its not backstrom's fault like it might have been last season. backstrom is out performing him to a significant degree.

i am surprised that you dont get that.
Peril? really? you gotta be kidding....if he stays the same he is simply over paid by what, 4 Mil? And thats if his performance again, stays the same. Last season he had 85 points...yea, its not 100+ but you act like he cant play anymore, and never will again

you used to throw up the caution flag when he went 10 games with 2 goals, so pointing it out now is no surprise.

Last edited by Mothra: 12-26-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old
12-26-2011, 04:55 PM
txpd

ok, mothra. enough of this. hopefully its not an issue.

Old
12-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
With OV effort is enough for me. He does not have to score like he used to as long as he is playing hard. And I think he is coming around little by little.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 05:37 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
With OV effort is enough for me. He does not have to score like he used to as long as he is playing hard. And I think he is coming around little by little.
brooks laich plays hard too and can play center and defense in a pinch. he plays pp and pk. if ov is playing as hard as laich and putting up similar numbers to laich are you really ok with ov making more than twice his check and taking up all that cap space? seriously?

lets hope that ov gets it back to happening again, but when you make $10m per with ten more years on your deal results count too.