HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Cody Franson appreciation?

Old
12-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Gloob

vCash: 500
Cody Franson appreciation?

Didn't see a thread dedicated to him... maybe I just don't know how to use the search function. But I haven't had much of a chance to watch games this season, as I've been a 24 hour shift youth support worker. Following around teenagers doesn't eave 3 hours for a game (*sob*) Anyway I grew up in Salmon Arm and did some dryland training with Franson when he was on the Sicamous Eagles. He was a real good dude, and I was wondering how he's playing this season. I see he has 8 points in 18 games so far, how has he been defensively?

Gloob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1054271

mostly positive

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 11:56 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

he's been good since komi went down

but i'm guessing he's to be traded soon

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:02 PM
number72

I think it took him time to adjust from smashville trap to wilson's uptempo style. He is big boy with a great stiff forearm with long stick reach to make up for positional mistakes and skating.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
NewFang

Others will disagree, but I dont think he's looked that great.

He's big but relatively soft in his own end.
Skating is below average. Maybe average for a big guy. Seems to lumber around a bit.
Passing and zone exit's are below average.
Shot is above average and is his main asset. Hard, quick release from the point. Unfortunaley doesnt seem to get it off very often. Couple times a game maybe, on the PP.

Last edited by NewFang: 12-22-2011 at 12:19 PM.
NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 12:38 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

Long overdue, he's a stud.

Coaching staff criticized him on his physical play earlier in the year so he changed that. He's a monster in our end.

Unless he's bringing back a #1C obviously in a package, he's a keeper.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:13 PM
L Corncrick
Bodie not Brodie foo

I like him for the fact that he and Komi are the only two guys that punish fools for buzzing around the net.

L Corncrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Dangles McGavin
#Snip Bar South

Love Franson's play. Every time he shoots the puck it's dangerous. Goalies can't smother his shots. I'd like to see him get more PP time. Try Conolly- Franson on the point as the second PP unit. I could see that producing a lot from the back end.

Oh, and as it has been said, he has picked up his physicality a lot. He seems to be really strong and when he gets pissed he tosses guys around.

He also hasn't been a minus player since November 25th.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 01:19 PM
Dangles McGavin
#Snip Bar South

On that note of PP, remember when Timmy Brent was quarterbacking our PP last year?

Good times.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:35 PM
LeafsFan2342
#CallupColborne

Franson!!!!

LeafsFan2342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:38 PM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
On that note of PP, remember when Timmy Brent was quarterbacking our PP last year?

Good times.
Better than Passerle w/ Phaneuf.

Franson has been slightly less physical than Komisarek, but his value on offense is a keeper.

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Christ

Yes Franson has played very well for us...but do we need an appreciation thread for EVERY player on the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Swervin81
aka LeafsSharksBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Yes Franson has played very well for us...but do we need an appreciation thread for EVERY player on the Toronto Maple Leafs?
Phillippe Dupuis

Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:00 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
jesus christ

advanced happy birthday

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Jaqen

He's been our best defenseman for a while now.

Jaqen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:21 AM
siddy

The one thing that really surprises me about Franson is his ability to get the puck on net.

I don't know how he does it, but every shot seems to weave through traffic and hit the goaltender. He's set up numerous scoring chances that way.

siddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:34 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Corncrick View Post
I like him for the fact that he and Komi are the only two guys that punish fools for buzzing around the net.
Exactly what I'm thinking. Ever since we came out of the lockout without our usual tough forwards, Domi, Corson, Green, Nolan, Tucker, Roberts we've become to easy to bully. I love the way he and Komi make it personal hitting guys and clearing the crease. We need that bully presence back. I brings swagger throughout the line up. I know Schenn and Phaneuf can more then bring it, but they don't necessarily try to bully around the net.

Schenn hurts guys along the boards and I'm sure forwards are aware where he is when they're crossing the line. Phaneuf obviously brings that huge hit now and then and instigates, but you can't always throw those big hits. Aulie, Franson and Komi are active in clearing the crease with authority and aggression. I love seeing them pitch guys to the ice when they try to 'go to the net' like a power forward. I hope we can go forward in the long run with at least 2 of them. It will help wear down teams in a playoff series. That's (IMO) what Burke had in mind building this defense.

I'd love to see this D playing with the forwards in the early 00's. Too aggressive and tough to squash in a series.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:35 AM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddy View Post
The one thing that really surprises me about Franson is his ability to get the puck on net.

I don't know how he does it, but every shot seems to weave through traffic and hit the goaltender. He's set up numerous scoring chances that way.
That used to McCabe's bread and butter.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:36 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by L Corncrick View Post
Which Franson wasn't doing at the beginning of the season, most improved player over the course IMO.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:41 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Which Franson wasn't doing at the beginning of the season, most improved player over the course IMO.
I agree here. His physical game has been a very pleasant surprise.

12-23-2011, 10:50 AM
BrentZ10

He has played alright, but this is just another example of the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. He hasn't been anything better then a #5 kind of guy. He might look great to some because all they crave is constant change and roster turnover. But his feet are incredibly slow and his reaction time doesn't seem to be great. He has a great shot, but is a little awkward with the puck at times.

BrentZ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:52 AM
siddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentZ10 View Post
He has played alright, but this is just another example of the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. He hasn't been anything better then a #5 kind of guy. He might look great to some because all they crave is constant change and roster turnover. But his feet are incredibly slow and his reaction time doesn't seem to be great. He has a great shot, but is a little awkward with the puck at times.
I don't think anyone is calling him Bobby Orr here. He's just doing some good things right now and it really shows off our depth that he can come in as our 7th d-man and bring something to the game.

siddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:56 AM
mooseOAK*

All a team wants from a bottom pairing defenceman is to not cause problems, like Lebda failed at last season. Franson is on the plus side of the ledger and that is basically all we should want and he is providing some offence also.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:58 AM
zeke
#TeamReimer

It's really pretty rare to see a guy with a reputation as a big softie suddenly turn into a big meanie.

He was barely at a hit per game last year, and that is unacceptable from a physical defenseman. He's pretty much doubled that hit rate this year, and is levelling people regularly.

It's a HUGE improvement in his game and he looks just great because of it. So good to see.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 11:05 AM
lopes66

As much as hes come up in trade rumours I hope that Burke keeps him. He's a big body with really good physical play and offensive upside. It may have took him a little while to convert from the different play styles but he'll be a great to keep for the future.

lopes66 is offline   Reply With Quote