HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karlsson... Norris Candidate?

Old
12-31-2011, 05:08 PM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
You don't have to go far back at all. Duncan Keith and Scott Neidermayer come to mind and I have full confidence that he'll be playing at that kind of level for years. GET HIM SIGNED MURRAY.
I thought Keith would be the closest guy in the game today and watching him I'd say Karlsson's clearly a little quicker.

Wonder if he signs long-term at 5.5-6 if he's due for an "A" as soon as Alfie retires.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 06:08 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

I stand by what I said. Karlsson makes more bad moves defensively than he does excellent ones. That said he plays a solid game defensively. If he were making more excellent moves defensively than bad ones and playing solid the rest of the time he would be a shoe in for the Norris at this point. He isn't exceptional defensively -- that isn't saying a bad thing.

With that said Karlsson is infectious with more than just his level of play. His personality is growing more and more on me and I'm glad we have him on the team (at no point did I ever say he was a bad player, or that he shouldn't be on our team.)

I hope Karlsson does win a Norris one day, but even if he doesn't I know that he'll be a great contributor and impact player for Ottawa for the forseeable future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
I agree.

People tend to be negative about our players so that when they're proved right they can say I told you so, but if they're proven wrong they can jump on the happy wagon and eat crow. It's easy and it's win-win emotionally.

To go out on a bit of a limb and say that a player is great or will be great means that if they let you down you take flack, and if they fail it's even worse. When they live up to what you said everyone is riding the happy wagon so it's more of a win-lose gamble emotionally.

People seem to generally take the easy way out and hedge their bets I guess. I find it annoying to say the least. This is sports, it's entertainment. Watch some games and go balls deep on a prediction and live or die by it. This is supposed to be fun to watch and be a positive time, why the constant nitpicking?
It's funny that you seem to be using this in reference to me when you disagree with me about Karlsson when, if anyone on this board does, I put my opinion where my mouth is almost constantly. I always admit when I am wrong about doubting a player and I am never shy about pumping up the players that I believe have a ton of talent.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 06:13 PM
Minister of Offence

So far he's usually wrong.

Old
12-31-2011, 09:48 PM
Kershaw

Karlsson had that nice effortless poke check that started a 2-on-1 I believe. (In Overtime)

Was it just me or did anyone else notice that play?

Edit: 4000th post! Not sure if I should be excited about it or not.....

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:49 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Karlsson had that nice effortless poke check that started a 2-on-1 I believe. (In Overtime)

Was it just me or did anyone else notice that play?
Everyone was too busy blowing their load over how he caught up to Pominville on the breakway without taking a penalty.

That play was pure sex.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
Everyone was too busy blowing their load over how he caught up to Pominville on the breakway without taking a penalty.

That play was pure sex.

Amaza-zing.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 09:57 PM
Kershaw

I only tuned in overtime. Would love to see a youtube or gif of that play if possible.

Bad at playing defense!

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:20 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I thought Keith would be the closest guy in the game today and watching him I'd say Karlsson's clearly a little quicker.

Wonder if he signs long-term at 5.5-6 if he's due for an "A" as soon as Alfie retires.
Karlsson is not as good defensively or as strong but Karlsson is a lot quicker and faster than even Duncan Keith. His offensive presence and skills is also better already.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:00 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post

I don't like the idea of giving letters to the pretty boys who rack up the most pts besides he is too young, he doesn't deserve it yet. I'd rather give letters to the guys who work the hardest in practise, who the team listen to & who can motivate the players. Why not Z. Smith or Michalek or Greening or Neil or Condra. There is a long list of guys on this team who work hard, giving them a letter is recognition of their hard work but it also sets an example for the team to follow. Not saying that Karlsson doesn't work hard but the best players on a team aren't always the hardest workers or set the best examples.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Shanny
Let's Win It All

Last summer I was flamed on the main board for claiming Karlsson was the Swedish Duncan Keith. I was wrong though, Karlsson is even better then Keith offensively it turns out.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:03 AM
coladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
I find it's the opposite. I watch all of the games on Centre Ice and have to deal with out of town broadcast teams more often then not. I have to say that almost every game they gush over Karlsson.

The Calgary guys today couldn't mention how Karlsson was one of the "leagues best young players" enough times it seemed...
I think my annoyance has more to do with the TSN/Sportsnet panels. I agree the out of town boradcasters gush over him which will ne influential when it is time to vote.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I don't like the idea of giving letters to the pretty boys who rack up the most pts besides he is too young, he doesn't deserve it yet. I'd rather give letters to the guys who work the hardest in practise, who the team listen to & who can motivate the players. Why not Z. Smith or Michalek or Greening or Neil or Condra. There is a long list of guys on this team who work hard, giving them a letter is recognition of their hard work but it also sets an example for the team to follow. Not saying that Karlsson doesn't work hard but the best players on a team aren't always the hardest workers or set the best examples.
Like it or not "earnings" can play a role in these decisions. Especially for a cornerstone player that appears to be loved by teammates.

You don't just hand out letters and then take them back either. Day by day this team becomes his just a little bit more.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 01-01-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old
01-01-2012, 11:05 AM
coladin

[QUOTE=CJam613;41693721]The problem is that his defensive gaffes happen more often than his great defensive plays. QUOTE]

Maybe to the untrained eye...sorry, but he makes so many smart plays that it is hard not to notice how his defensive play is becoming stellar

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 11:05 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
Last summer I was flamed on the main board for claiming Karlsson was the Swedish Duncan Keith. I was wrong though, Karlsson is even better then Keith offensively it turns out.
Now I just call him Swedish Paul Coffey and no one says anything.

Old
01-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Kush

Watching this guy play I can't help but say it, he's already one of the best players in the NHL, period!

Kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:01 PM
Tuna99

If we make the playoffs Karlsson will have to be up for MVP consideration - he is one of the few players in the NHL that opposing fans love to watch - he's got the Toewes, St. Louis and Crosby thing going on - people love him because of the way he plays.

If we make the playoffs Karlson will be the guy that gets us there, he'll be in on all the huge goals down the stretch - just like he is now.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Rumcajs

I think for Karlsson to win it this year he would probably have to have 20 goals, 50-55 assists and have at least a +10.

Rumcajs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 01:20 PM
guyzeur

[quote=CJam613;41693721]The problem is that his defensive gaffes happen more often than his great defensive plays. QUOTE]

I'm not sure about his defensive play mistakes, I don't think he has that many probably because we disagree with the definition of it

Making a risky pass is an offensive play by a defenseman.

Overall his defensive coverage is fine, is stick work is above average since he has to compensate for his size and he does have a problem with bigger guys but that does not mean these are considered gaffes.

With time and getting to know the opposition better, he will learn to deal with them quite nicely IMO

guyzeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Tuna99

RESPECT

Hockey news predicts Karlsson will win his first Norris

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-for-2012.html

Old
01-03-2012, 09:45 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

LOL.

I still think the hockey media likes to talk about his gaffes and mistakes, and that could harm him this year.

At the same time, what would a Norris do for his contract demands?

Yowzas.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
LOL.

I still think the hockey media likes to talk about his gaffes and mistakes, and that could harm him this year.

Yowzas.
Don Meehan would tell him his other client, Drew Doughty, got 7 million with a hold out..

..and he didn't even win the Norris.

Old
01-03-2012, 09:47 AM
Tuna99

Quote:
LOL.

Yowzas.
I'd happily pay Karlsson 6.5 million a year long term 7+ Years. He's our best player, maybe the best player in the NHL, and it's not my money, so who cares what he makes, as long as he plays in Ottawa his entire career.

Old
01-03-2012, 09:51 AM
KarlSen

Offensive stats have always had to much influence in Norris considerations. Love his game but I don't think a Norris should be in the works yet.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:09 AM
NyQuil
Can't Play Defence

Well, if Mike Green had won one, I'd be more convinced.

Norris is a funny award that most people seem to have to earn, even if they have a Norris-worthy season.

I can recall Chara losing out to Niedermayer I think when he clearly had the better season.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Well, if Mike Green had won one, I'd be more convinced.

Norris is a funny award that most people seem to have to earn, even if they have a Norris-worthy season.

I can recall Chara losing out to Niedermayer I think when he clearly had the better season.
It's probably the hardest main award to judge. Typically people are very poor at evaluating defense...so if in doubt, and Lidstrom, Chara, Weber have played well....pick one.