HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn

Old
12-23-2011, 05:33 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
I think he's been our worst defenseman this year. Looks slow, turns pucks over on a nightly basis and has been bad on the PK. To be honest, I would be fine if he was moved in a package for a top line player. I think Aulie will be better in the long run.
Everyone on the team turns the puck over on a nightly basis. Clearly, you don't watch the whole team.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 05:38 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Hits:

1) Schenn: 102
2) Phaneuf: 69
3) Steckel: 65
4) Lupul: 49
5) Bozak: 46
Wow, talk about a huge gap. That's his game, hopefully he keeps it going.

League hit stats

GP Hits
1 Matt Greene LAK D 34 104
2 Luke Schenn TOR D 33 102
3 Mark Fistric DAL D 22 89
4 Alexei Emelin MTL D 25 88
5 Dan Girardi NYR D 32 86
6 Robyn Regehr BUF D 33 86

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 07:03 PM
number72

Schenn has been inconsistent this year.
Last year he was solid dependable shutdown dman and was rewarded with a good contract.
This year he had great games and some very poor one.
His skating is much poorer likely because of the weight he added in the offseason.
Also he is one of the problems on the PK.

The Buffalo game was on of his better of the season but what he needs to do is show he can deal with shutting down tougher competition (and offload phaneuf). That is, it is easy to look strong against weaker forwards. And that he can play well consistently and for multiple games.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2011, 10:31 PM
RPeeters

Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
Schenn has been inconsistent this year.
Last year he was solid dependable shutdown dman and was rewarded with a good contract.
This year he had great games and some very poor one.
His skating is much poorer likely because of the weight he added in the offseason.
Also he is one of the problems on the PK.

The Buffalo game was on of his better of the season but what he needs to do is show he can deal with shutting down tougher competition (and offload phaneuf). That is, it is easy to look strong against weaker forwards. And that he can play well consistently and for multiple games.
What the hell are you talking about?

Yes he started the year of horribly. However, since his benching, he has been terrific five on five.

Yeah the PK's sucks. But it's not just Schenn, no one knows how to use their stick and the goaltending especially has been a letdown.

And plays against weaker forwards? Schenn and Gardiner are consistently put to the challenge against the oppositions top forwards.

RPeeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:24 AM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by eafsinup View Post
What the hell are you talking about?

Yes he started the year of horribly. However, since his benching, he has been terrific five on five.

Yeah the PK's sucks. But it's not just Schenn, no one knows how to use their stick and the goaltending especially has been a letdown.

And plays against weaker forwards? Schenn and Gardiner are consistently put to the challenge against the oppositions top forwards.
Schenn has been inconsistent. After his benching he played well for a few games.
And his most recent two games have been great.
But LA and Vancouver were not good outings.

What he needs is to show he can be a top shutdown defender against other team top forwards (not their #2 or #3 lines). And that he can play consistent and avoid these good games followed by bad games.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:27 AM
pooleboy
#tankformcdavid

lol at people on hf wanting to trade schenn. guys a beast and will remain a leaf hopefully his whole career. If we trade him everyone on the TML board will regret it trust me

pooleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
He had a GREAT game last night, but I'd say he's been average to good the last little while, nothing to rave about. On the PK he's been brutal clearing the puck and his lack of foot speed costs him when he tries to carry the puck.

I want to see him bring it for a good stretch before we start the St. Luke routine again.
Not to mention including him on any offense is just a ticket to an odd man rush against

Poignant Discussion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:58 AM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
Not to mention including him on any offense is just a ticket to an odd man rush against
That's not his fault. D goes in forward has to drop.

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Heis3nberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
please stop limiting our players potential, this is not just to you, but to our whole fanbase in general

just like how Kessel will not be anything more than a 1-dimensional sniper

just like how Bozak will be nothing more than a 4th liner

just like how Lupul will be nothing more than a stop-gap/salary dump
It's just like, my opinion man. That's what these boards are all about.

Heis3nberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:09 AM
WoratCase*

He's been pretty inconsistent and until he stops panicking when he has the puck, I will continue to be unimpressed.

WoratCase* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:12 AM
leafsforlife
The Dream

He makes a lot of passes to nowhere. He's typically got one hand on the stick swiping at the puck desperately. He definitely needs help with power skating to add some more speed.

That said, he has definitely improved from the way he was playing at the beginning of the season. I'm happy to have him on the team, but I think its obvious hes not a top 2 defenseman and thats ok. I think people get disappointed in him when they come in with the expectation he is going to be our #1 D.

He's a good d-man, but not great. Some of the other kids have shown a lot more prowess ... namely Gardiner

leafsforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:16 AM
WoratCase*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsforlife View Post
He makes a lot of passes to nowhere. He's typically got one hand on the stick swiping at the puck desperately. He definitely needs help with power skating to add some more speed.

That said, he has definitely improved from the way he was playing at the beginning of the season. I'm happy to have him on the team, but I think its obvious hes not a top 2 defenseman and thats ok. I think people get disappointed in him when they come in with the expectation he is going to be our #1 D.

He's a good d-man, but not great. Some of the other kids have shown a lot more prowess ... namely Gardiner
I think if he can be a little calmer when he has the puck, he will be an excellent defenceman. Hopefully this comes with age because I do like most other aspects of his game. I will never get over the panicking.

WoratCase* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:23 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

a guy like schenn who hunts along the boards can stop the opposing cycle game effectively.

love it

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:48 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Schenn is 22 guys. Twenty ****ing two. Defenceman like him usually don't come into their own until their mid-twenties, give him time.

He's been fine this year. Struggled early on, but has improved since his benching for that one game.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when all 7 of our defencemen are healthy. No one has played themself out of a spot, and Komisarek played well before his injury, enough to warrant a spot in the top 6 IMO

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 02:55 AM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

Quote:
I think he's been our worst defenseman this year. Looks slow, turns pucks over on a nightly basis and has been bad on the PK. To be honest, I would be fine if he was moved in a package for a top line player. I think Aulie will be better in the long run.
Except for the fact he's had less giveaways than Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Phaneuf and Liles, huh? (And more takeaways than all of them).

KesselLooksLikeRadar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:12 AM
pa2u292*

If anyone is to go it's gunnarsson.

pa2u292* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:22 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa2u292 View Post
If anyone is to go it's gunnarsson.
he's prolly been our best defender so i dont think so unless its for a legit top line player or someone very very promising.

12-24-2011, 04:45 AM
Liminality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey View Post
Schenn is 22 guys. Twenty ****ing two. Defenceman like him usually don't come into their own until their mid-twenties, give him time.

He's been fine this year. Struggled early on, but has improved since his benching for that one game.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when all 7 of our defencemen are healthy. No one has played themself out of a spot, and Komisarek played well before his injury, enough to warrant a spot in the top 6 IMO
That's what I keep thinking...imagine what Schenn is like at 25 or 26.

He's going to be a scary defenseman to play against.

Liminality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 04:57 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey View Post

we expect way too much from our players at times but yea its insane how young and how great he is for a defenseman

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 05:15 AM
AStanley

Burke enjoys players with an edge.

Gunner lacks that edge, although is a very sound, positional d-man, who would be a vital component in a package deal for a top notch, impact forward.

Before the trade deadline, expect Gunner to be moved.

BOOK IT!!!

AStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStanley View Post
Burke enjoys players with an edge.

Gunner lacks that edge, although is a very sound, positional d-man, who would be a vital component in a package deal for a top notch, impact forward.

Before the trade deadline, expect Gunner to be moved.

BOOK IT!!!
majority believe its him so i wont be surprised

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 09:15 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Gunnar was awesome last night.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Bushay

Quote:
Let me add slow footed, can't stay with his man, and 80% of every time he touches the puck he makes a wrong decision. He's being held onto right now because Fletcher drafter him so high. One of the biggest underachievers in the draft.

Bushay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:01 PM
contour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushay View Post
Let me add slow footed, can't stay with his man, and 80% of every time he touches the puck he makes a wrong decision. He's being held onto right now because Fletcher drafter him so high. One of the biggest underachievers in the draft.
I think Schenn is playing solid recently. So far in his career, if we look at it from a whole, its been impressive. I'm glad we drafted him high (*Filatov*). He's gonna be good for us years to come (and not too pricey)

contour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Bushay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
Except for the fact he's had less giveaways than Gunnarsson, Gardiner, Phaneuf and Liles, huh? (And more takeaways than all of them).
The oppositions scoring lines lick their chops when they see he's on the ice. He's a human turnover machine.

Bushay is offline   Reply With Quote