HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luke Schenn

Old
12-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Bushay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Schenn has had an up and down year. Glad he's been playing better lately, but you know he's got plenty of room to grow as a player. We're definitely going to need that continued improvement. If he keeps hitting and becomes more solid on the PK we'll have a key guy right there.
The problem is you never waste a no.5 pick on a defensive defense man. When you can find this same type of player in later rounds. I can pretty much guarantee you if Burke were in charge at the time he never would have drafted Schenn at no. 5. No Fn way.
Even the better players like Foote and Orpik were never drafted this high. Mcguire went on like a delusional Leafs fan when he was drafted. That should tell you something right there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLKBo9M2Jz0

Bushay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Bushay

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
Check the stats, games played, Hits, etc, etc, or ask Malkin, Ov, top players in the game of who they would rather face head to head!!!!! You will know what I mean!!! Ask Malkin if he would rather play against Schenn or Karlsson??????

He's top 5 no matter what YOU think!!!!....
Settle down there cowboy. Were just having a discussion. No need to wear your emotions on your sleeve in here.

Oh and FTR

Malkin 17 games played vs. Toronto
8-29-37 points

AO 25 games played vs. Toronto
23-17-40 points

Stamkos 13 games played vs. Toronto
6-11-17 points

LOL!

Way to do your home work

Old
12-25-2011, 08:27 AM
Bushay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Del Zotto, Carlson and Stepan are not better then Schenn. Im a huge fan of Schenn, but I can honestly say he will be the top defence men of that draft. Players like Karlsson Del Zotto and Doughty are fun to watch but die down quickly. In 2003 Phanuef and Weber were the obvious choices the first couple seasons. Maybe Webers still good but when he wasn't with Suter (at the Olympics) he wasn't nearly as flashy. Now I say hands down Suter is the best D man that draft had. People may not agree but it is my honest opinion
We believe you. That's the scary part.

Old
12-25-2011, 08:29 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushay View Post
The problem is you never waste a no.5 pick on a defensive defense man. When you can find this same type of player in later rounds. I can pretty much guarantee you if Burke were in charge at the time he never would have drafted Schenn at no. 5. No Fn way.
Even the better players like Foote and Orpik were never drafted this high. Mcguire went on like a delusional Leafs fan when he was drafted. That should tell you something right there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLKBo9M2Jz0
Are you kidding? Everyone in the draft knew the surefire top picks were Stamkos, Doughty & Bogosian were interchangeable and then it was pietrangelo and then luke schenn. There were no other contest. Everyone praised fletcher for that pick and never locked back. Myer was a HUGE gamble by the sabres and they know the risks and the reward, it was very fortunate that the he worked out and they are damn lucky for it. The other immediately after Myers pick were teubert who is another huge stay at home defensemen.

And you said no other defensive d were picked that high? Look back a year and look at karl alzner at #5. Keaton Ellerby at #10 by florida.

Another one from that same year was Plante I believe It wasn't that far

12-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Bushay

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
No arguement here...You misunderstood, I think Schenn will be the top d-man of his class and for what he brings to the table...He will be a rock on the d when it comes down to playoffs..

WJC...Schenn 0 points..but maybe the most valuable player on the team....he was outstanding...played his role to perfection....from that tournament I told all my buddies I wanted Leafs to draft Schenn!!!it's not all about goals and assists!!! It's about character..Schenn blew me away with his game, character, heart, desire, determination, hope you see what I saw!!!
He very well may have been all that in juniors. But this is the real show he;s in now. And the speed of the game is leaving him behind. When he's able to catch someone, he's very aggressive and tough on his skates. Any other time he's a real slug out there with little mobility and a terrible vision of the whole ice surface. If he ever does adapt to the speed of the NHL game, he could be a real asset. In the meantime, he'll continue to play on the 3rd pairing with the occasional nights in the press box. Pretty disappointing for a 5th overall. and too many drafted under him have already , or are in the process of establishing themselves as bonafide NHL players.

Old
12-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Courage*

Quote:
The problem is you never waste a no.5 pick on a defensive defense man. When you can find this same type of player in later rounds.
Pulling out a long-lost username today, huh?

One question: do a lot of guys picked in later rounds have 265GP at age 22 - and more upside to give (he's on pace to improve his offensive numbers again)?

It took Orpik 5 years to even get into the league as a regular and a decade from his draft year to put up over 20 points (25), a feat he's never matched. Foote had a very similar story, though he got into the league a little quicker. But those of us old enough to remember recall the way his progress and upside was questioned. "Can't skate", "no puck skills" were common refrains.

Courage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
He very well may have been all that in juniors. But this is the real show he;s in now. And the speed of the game is leaving him behind. When he's able to catch someone, he's very aggressive and tough on his skates. Any other time he's a real slug out there with little mobility and a terrible vision of the whole ice surface. If he ever does adapt to the speed of the NHL game, he could be a real asset. In the meantime, he'll continue to play on the 3rd pairing with the occasional nights in the press box. Pretty disappointing for a 5th overall. and too many drafted under him have already , or are in the process of establishing themselves as bonafide NHL players.
He's been slow this year but he's turned it around quite well after his benching.

What are you talking about his draft year being better than him?

Bogosian who was picked third still hasn't over run him in the ways that Schenn has played. Schenn is a defensive D and he got half the goals that Bogo got so far in their career(I am well aware of the injuries that he sustained but think about Pietrangelo who also had issues and hasn't looked back, making Johnson Expendable)

Filatov is an escape artist.
Boedker wasn't handled properly and is moving to a better area but even then is no where what he was suppose to be.
Bailey is similar to Boedker and nothing big.
Hodgson is not even close to what he was advertised, but looking more of a safe maybe good second liner tahn the top liner.
Beach nada
Myers good risk and reward lucked out big for the sabres
Boychuk...no?
Karlsson finally showing it but he is still weak defensively.
Colborne still in the process of showing us what is capable in the top 9.
Gardiner is in the process of being that top 4 defensmen
Pickard(goalies take a long time to develop)
Sbisa underwhelmed so far, solid d but still
MDZ was great but hasn't gotten to where he could(weak d still)
Anton Gustafsson another escape artist but i was very high on
Eberle (along with Stammer, Doughty, Pietrangelo & Schenn only other NHL true player)
Cuma still not in the NHL and developing
Tedenby still developing in NJ with the NHL team
Greg Nemisz still not there
Carlson still bringing out his tools for a Two way defender
Tikhonov...where
Daultan Leville..no idea who he is
Thomas McCollum (goalie longer time)

Thats the top 30 and out of it only 7 actually regulars for the 3 years thats been here

Stamkos,Doughty, Bogosian, Pietrangelo, Schenn, Myers & Karlsson(close as one was over 60 games)

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Thomas Malthus
The Dismal Team

Schenn has really picked up a mean streak as of late, something that I love and felt was missing that could nake him more effective. He started the season poorly but has improved. Last season I thought he looked far more comfortable with the puck and his skating seems perhaps a little worse this year.

He's going to be a good player for a long time and I'm sure almost every team would love to have him. He's 22, remember how people were preaching that Bozak would improve if we were patient? Same thing now with Frattin, both are older than Schenn so to assume that he's peaked because he's played a few seasons is ridiculous. I'm sure his shot and skating will improve but right now he keeps it simple and finds success, some of our other defensemen could take a hint.

Thomas Malthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:31 AM
Hawaiinleaf

Build from D out...I am guessing the naysayers were on the Filitov band wagon...How did that work out for you guys...LOL..

Schenn # 2 in NHL in hits...

And were not a physical team..we need him

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:39 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Schenn is a top four defender in the NHL, Merry Christmas.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
Build from D out...I am guessing the naysayers were on the Filitov band wagon...How did that work out for you guys...LOL..

Schenn # 2 in NHL in hits...

And were not a physical team..we need him
It's funny that that the unemployed NHL GMs amongst us pull out names like Foote and Orpik: how important were those guys to their teams' Cup wins? Oh no, a 5th overall pick on a consensus top 5 player! Don't look now, but the defenseman with no hands has many or more points than fellow top-10 picks Pietrangelo, Filatov, Boedker and Bailey.

Sure hope our unemployed GM friends find work soon, gotta be tough to be out of work around the holidays. Some organisation could luck out on a bargain. Buy low...

Old
12-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Rinzler

We got a big stay at home d man who is durable, produces a moderate amount of points and is reliable. Did I mention he stepped right into the league at 18? Any team would kill to get something that good at 5th overall. Look at his brother for what a typical #5 looks like.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 10:20 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
We got a big stay at home d man who is durable, produces a moderate amount of points and is reliable. Did I mention he stepped right into the league at 18? Any team would kill to get something that good at 5th overall. Look at his brother for what a typical #5 looks like.
Hard to tell what their ultimate upside will be, but for all the pre-draft hype about Schenn, Kadri is turning out just fine, thankyouverymuch.

Old
12-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
Hard to tell what their ultimate upside will be, but for all the pre-draft hype about Schenn, Kadri is turning out just fine, thankyouverymuch.
schenn always had some underrated offense in him and it shows up from time to time and yes kadri is on the right path.

Old
12-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Courage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
schenn always had some underrated offense in him and it shows up from time to time and yes kadri is on the right path.
I meant Brayden.

Old
12-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
I meant Brayden.
well then......
I got nothing.

Old
12-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Beleafer4

Schenn, at the age of 22, has already proven to be a top 4 D-man and possibly one of the most intimidating presences in the league. I hope you realize that. Unlike offensive d-men, defensive d-men peak rather late, so Schenn has a bit more to learn. As of know, his speed and shot are clear weaknesses but like I said before, he is only 22 and has room to improve.

Personally, I would like to see him in playoff action. Thats where you really evaluate a players worth and thats where I feel schenn will come out big.

Beleafer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 12:33 PM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
Schenn, at the age of 22, has already proven to be a top 4 D-man and possibly one of the most intimidating presences in the league. I hope you realize that. Unlike offensive d-men, defensive d-men peak rather late, so Schenn has a bit more to learn. As of know, his speed and shot are clear weaknesses but like I said before, he is only 22 and has room to improve.

Personally, I would like to see him in playoff action. Thats where you really evaluate a players worth and thats where I feel schenn will come out big.
Smash-mouth hockey! Defense bruiserweights are invaluable in the playoffs as they can key on skill players and make their lives miserable.

L Corncrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:06 PM
glucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
Gardiner is seen as the Kaberle replacement...

Schenn has a higher PPG.

both are the same age.

glucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by glucker View Post
Gardiner is seen as the Kaberle replacement...

Schenn has a higher PPG.

both are the same age.
I am well aware lol but I am just saying he has always had a underrated passing ability and shot at times.

Gardiner when he gets it all together will be a beast for us and man is that awesome. So far the 08 draft has worked wonders for us.

Colborne still needs work, Hayes flipped for Brad Ross.
Greg Pateryn n pick for Grabo
Champage in the piece to get steeg and then Biggs.
Rollheiser still work in progress
Same with Andrew Macwilliam who is another stay home defense finally getting his shot for ice time.

Old
12-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

People actually think Gardiner will be an NHL defenseman??

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:21 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Gardiner is already a top four defender in the NHL. Merry Christmas.

Old
12-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
...i guess he is going to become a forward?

Old
12-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernicious View Post
Gardiner is already a top four defender in the NHL. Merry Christmas.
I dunno about that...merry christmas!

Sokil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 01:28 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
I dunno about that...merry christmas!
Exactly, you don't know.