HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

hf's organizational rankings

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2004, 11:43 AM
tripledekehockey

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to tripledekehockey Send a message via AIM to tripledekehockey
hf's organizational rankings

where are we thinking the pens will end up??

top 3 easily -- if not #1 but i think wash will be #1 and the pens #2

Old
09-29-2004, 12:14 PM
Til the End of Time

I think they should be third, based on the criteria being a cutoff of 65 games in the NHL. But really, these rankings are meaningless so I could care less if the Pens were ranked 30th.

Old
09-29-2004, 12:19 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

we'll probably be up pretty high, but because no one ever fully agrees with the rankings, dont be offended if it isnt where you expect.

Old
09-29-2004, 02:00 PM
Jacob

3rd behind Chicago and Washington. No lower.

Old
09-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Ticallion961

Washington has to have first wrapped up, chicago and Pit can battle for second.

Old
09-29-2004, 05:47 PM
Lionel Hutz

Edmonton and Montreal would be the wildcards, they both have strong organizations.

Old
09-29-2004, 05:52 PM

Washington is easily first. They where pretty good to begin with and then had a monster draft year. AO is AO but I'm even high on guys like Green and Yunkov. Like the other posters have said 2nd and 3rd are between Pitt. and Chi. IMO Pitt gets it because MAF gives them a slight edge.

Last edited by #66: 09-30-2004 at 01:17 PM.
Old
09-30-2004, 02:37 AM
Jacob

Pittsburgh is ranked 2nd. It seems to be at least 3 years straight that the Pens are around the top 5 or so, doesn't it?

Old
09-30-2004, 08:31 AM
tripledekehockey

Send a message via ICQ to tripledekehockey Send a message via AIM to tripledekehockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
Pittsburgh is ranked 2nd. It seems to be at least 3 years straight that the Pens are around the top 5 or so, doesn't it?
i believe you are correct -- we were 2nd last year and the year before i dont remember exactly but i think it was top 5

i think the hf put the pens in the right spot; wash is easily #1 and the pens and chicago are pretty close but MAF gives us the edge for #2

Old
09-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Well I guess that goes to show that having great prospects is not as important as properly developing what you've got. So I am not exactly sure being high in the rankings is a good thing, but I guess three years isn't that long of a time.

Also, it pains me to see the Capitals at number one after deciding to rebuild, for oh, maybe ... a year.

Old
09-30-2004, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time
Well I guess that goes to show that having great prospects is not as important as properly developing what you've got. So I am not exactly sure being high in the rankings is a good thing, but I guess three years isn't that long of a time.

Also, it pains me to see the Capitals at number one after deciding to rebuild, for oh, maybe ... a year.
Tell me about it. With all of the talent that the Pens gave away over the last couple of years, it just chaps my ass that the Caps get so good so soon. Does anyone remember what the Flyers gave up for Oates? I remember almost puking when hearing of that deal.

Old
09-30-2004, 07:21 PM
craig1

Their analysis of Whitney is seemingly over a year old.......

Old
09-30-2004, 08:36 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

You mean the part saying that he "has not progressed quite as well as the Penguins scouts had hoped?"

Yeah, I found that a little off too. I'm pretty happy about his development thus far, but I guess I'm not a scout.

Old
09-30-2004, 11:19 PM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

while i think his last year of college was a little dissapointing, i think his play in WBS playoff's would have countered that as not only is the AHL more difficult and faster, but he came in at the most intense time under high pressure situations.

Old
10-01-2004, 12:36 AM
Jacob

Hockey forecaster just wrote up a scouting report for Whitney and it gushes with positives. Calls him a future #1 defenseman.

Old
10-02-2004, 12:46 AM
borro

Quote:
Hockey forecaster just wrote up a scouting report for Whitney and it gushes with positives. Calls him a future #1 defenseman.
Caps will be glad to take Whitney off your hands... :]

Old
10-02-2004, 01:52 PM
craig1

Quote:
Originally Posted by borro
Caps will be glad to take Whitney off your hands... :]

As would every other team in the league.

Old
10-02-2004, 03:17 PM
borro

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1
As would every other team in the league.
Yes. I wanted him at draft time. He is going to be a MONSTER. It may not be this year or next year, but the Pens Caps rivalry will be back. I like Orpik alot too. Where do you guys project him in your overall scheme? Is he a 2 or 3? I would say Tarnstrom might project as a 4 for you. Where does Orpik fit and what does your 2-6 look like? Our looks something like this...

Morrisonn
Eminger
Yonkman
Green
Lepisto
Hedman
Morrisonn and Yonkman are underrated. Green and Eminger are overrated. The Caps need to add some toughness on the blueline. Shultz figures when he gets stronger and more aggressive.

Yours looks like
Whitney
Orpik
Tarnstrom
???

The top3 or 4 are hard to fill. The bottom 3 are easy. Your defense is close to set if not there already. Im just familiar with those 3 as they are all talented. I would like to see us sign Witt and get better with him as a veteran. I have a feeling both he and Kolzig will be dealt at the trade deadline. Kolzig would have to agree to a reduction to about $4M. It would be nice to keep him too, but in an environment where we have Ovechkin, Semin, Fehr and possibly Crosby or Brule to sign, these guys will likely move on.

So who else do you see in the Pens future D?

Old
10-02-2004, 03:29 PM
davemess

Quote:
Tanrstrom isnt going to be around long term i dont think, we cant afford a guy who is top 10 in D scoring.

At a guess

Whitney - Orpik
Welch - Melichar
Jackman - Bissionette

Old
10-02-2004, 03:37 PM
Robert Paulson*

Quote:
Morrisonn and Yonkman are underrated.
Yonkman is injured too much to really be rated at all. He could be the toughness your blue line needs, if he can stay healthy.

Old
10-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Lionel Hutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemess
Tanrstrom isnt going to be around long term i dont think, we cant afford a guy who is top 10 in D scoring.

At a guess

Whitney - Orpik
Welch - Melichar
Jackman - Bissionette
If Jackman shows he isn't a flash in the pan, he'll be much better than 3rd pairing. I feel he will.

Old
10-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Evilo

Don't forget Nemec, Fernholm and Malenkhyk.

Old
10-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Yes. I wanted him at draft time. He is going to be a MONSTER. It may not be this year or next year, but the Pens Caps rivalry will be back. I like Orpik alot too. Where do you guys project him in your overall scheme? Is he a 2 or 3? I would say Tarnstrom might project as a 4 for you. Where does Orpik fit and what does your 2-6 look like? Our looks something like this...

Morrisonn
Eminger
Yonkman
Green
Lepisto
Hedman
Morrisonn and Yonkman are underrated. Green and Eminger are overrated. The Caps need to add some toughness on the blueline. Shultz figures when he gets stronger and more aggressive.

Yours looks like
Whitney
Orpik
Tarnstrom
???

The top3 or 4 are hard to fill. The bottom 3 are easy. Your defense is close to set if not there already. Im just familiar with those 3 as they are all talented. I would like to see us sign Witt and get better with him as a veteran. I have a feeling both he and Kolzig will be dealt at the trade deadline. Kolzig would have to agree to a reduction to about $4M. It would be nice to keep him too, but in an environment where we have Ovechkin, Semin, Fehr and possibly Crosby or Brule to sign, these guys will likely move on.

Why did he post that?

Old
10-03-2004, 02:19 AM
borro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens63
Yonkman is injured too much to really be rated at all. He could be the toughness your blue line needs, if he can stay healthy.
He has been a plus player when healthy. Perfect complement to Eminger or Morrison.

Old
10-03-2004, 02:26 AM
borro

Quote:
Why did he post that?
Just thinkin out loud. My question was really where you saw your 2-6 defense in the future. Ted seems to have a $30M payroll ceiling. No room to add a top flight dman at todays prices for us. We feel yer pain on Tarnstrom! New deal should bring some relief for you (and hopefully us too!)

Closed Thread