HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Johnson

Old
12-30-2011, 04:55 PM
Thekidline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
thanks for coming over and giving us some info

i dont think anyone here expected shatty to do this well here and it looks like he will be a staple of our team for years to come.

also, i was sooooo high on EJ ever sense we drafted him and i was not completely disappointed in his play, but very frustrated. my frustration was more that you could see his potential and game in and game out, he did not reach it. he would get flashes of fantastic play he was certainly capable of on both sides of the ice but just could not keep it going at all times.

i hope he can become the player that everyone knows is probably bottled up inside him somewhere. i think some of it could have been all the pressure and expectations he had here. im not saying he is not under pressure in CO but i dont think its the same kind of pressure.

i still have my EJ t-shirt and wear it proudly (around my house).
Hahaha same here!

Thekidline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:19 PM
blue bleeder 24-7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
Chris Stewart is another story. He's by far the laziest player on the Blues. Maybe we can find a trading partner for Stewart that thinks he's better than he actually is like Col did with Johnson.

Stewart has 14 pts through 33 games. Seven goals and seven helpers. At least 2 of those goals are empty netters. He has a long way to go. He has good speed, size, and hands. He's just incredibly lazy.
Not to take us too far off topic about EJ, but I don't think the Blues needs to worry about trading Stewart right now. Never sell low. Right now, Stewart's value is at possibly an all-time low. If you're right, and if management buys into the idea that he's lazy, then they're going to wait until his game picks up, otherwise they won't get as much in any deal.

So either way, the Blues need to focus on getting his game better, rather than looking around to dump him.

blue bleeder 24-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:10 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

I'm still not convinced Stewart is lazy. He's historically had an on and off relationship with hockey, so his confidence and focus are not going to be the same as the average NHLer.
He reminds me a lot of Tkachuk. When he scores once, he smells blood in the water and wants another. He has an innate sense that a goal is coming and turns into superman. So, when his confidence is down, he never gets that sense, and he never turns into superman.

Tkachuk had similar ups and downs. He'd be an absolute beast for a ten or fifteen game stretch, and he'd go a couple weeks getting caught flat-footed and having pucks ricochet off his stick for no good reason. And not because he was mailing it in, but because, for whatever reason, he lacked focus.
The difference is that Tkachuk was pretty much always physical, and his shot was never very good. His shot actually improved significantly after coming to the Blues and spending time with Demitra. When Tkachuk would bang around, he'd get fired up and overcome his focus issues. Stewart, on the other hand, is fast and has a good shot, which means that when his confidence is down, he can take the easy way out of a play, which means firing from the outside and using his speed to go around guys instead of through them. So he doesn't crash his way back into things and his streaks are more prolonged. Some people might call that soft, but I don't see him shying away so much as thinking too much and not playing with purpose. A lack of purpose and a lack of effort are not the same.

Would trading Stewart bother me? No, but only for something truly good, not just unloading him. Pretty much the only guys on the team I don't think could bring a return that would compensate for their loss are Pietrangelo and Backes. However, I don't see Stewart mailing it in. I'm open to the argument that a headcase is just as bad or worse than a lazy player. At the end of the day, the result might be the same as a lazy player, but, as a fan, laziness bothers me a lot more.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:58 PM
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
I'm still not convinced Stewart is lazy. He's historically had an on and off relationship with hockey, so his confidence and focus are not going to be the same as the average NHLer.
He reminds me a lot of Tkachuk. When he scores once, he smells blood in the water and wants another. He has an innate sense that a goal is coming and turns into superman. So, when his confidence is down, he never gets that sense, and he never turns into superman.

Tkachuk had similar ups and downs. He'd be an absolute beast for a ten or fifteen game stretch, and he'd go a couple weeks getting caught flat-footed and having pucks ricochet off his stick for no good reason. And not because he was mailing it in, but because, for whatever reason, he lacked focus.
The difference is that Tkachuk was pretty much always physical, and his shot was never very good. His shot actually improved significantly after coming to the Blues and spending time with Demitra. When Tkachuk would bang around, he'd get fired up and overcome his focus issues. Stewart, on the other hand, is fast and has a good shot, which means that when his confidence is down, he can take the easy way out of a play, which means firing from the outside and using his speed to go around guys instead of through them. So he doesn't crash his way back into things and his streaks are more prolonged. Some people might call that soft, but I don't see him shying away so much as thinking too much and not playing with purpose. A lack of purpose and a lack of effort are not the same.

Would trading Stewart bother me? No, but only for something truly good, not just unloading him. Pretty much the only guys on the team I don't think could bring a return that would compensate for their loss are Pietrangelo and Backes. However, I don't see Stewart mailing it in. I'm open to the argument that a headcase is just as bad or worse than a lazy player. At the end of the day, the result might be the same as a lazy player, but, as a fan, laziness bothers me a lot more.
This is what worries me about Stewart. Focus is such a huge part of the game. It is the difference between high skill offensive guys staying or leaving the NHL.

Also, its hard to say if Stewart is being lazy or not. Loosing focus can just as easily be about being lazy as it can be about being frustrated. Its hard to tell which one is plaguing Stewart (or possibly a combination of the two). Regardless, I think Stewart's focus issues are more of a factor than his laziness or perceived laziness. I do however see his lack of physicality as an issue and his lack of commitment to the forecheck and backcheck as big issues when he is not on his game and an area for improvement even when he is on his game.

As for your thoughts on trading Stewart, Pietrangelo or Backes, I strongly agree with your appraisal.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote