HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Is it safe to say that Kessel and Lupul are friends?

Old
12-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Suntouchable13

vCash: 500
Is it safe to say that Kessel and Lupul are friends?

Is it possible to have such good chemistry between 2 players on the ice if they don't really like each other as people off it? I was wondering about that, and curious to know what you think.

Suntouchable13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:08 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
Is it possible to have such good chemistry between 2 players on the ice if they don't really like each other as people off it? I was wondering about that, and curious to know what you think.
Heatley had problems in Ottawa yet had pretty good numbers with Spezza. I don't know if he had problems with Spezza but obviously they weren't close enough to stop him from demanding out.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Stats01

I'm sure they are.

Stats01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 1269
I have heard that Gretz and Kurri weren't all that close off the ice.
Really dont know if it is true tho.

Cyris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Paris in Flames

vCash: 50
From what I've seen through twitter, interactions during open practices etc I would assume most of the team get along pretty well.

Paris in Flames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Eamonn*

I know Kessel and Bozak are good buddies, most people become friends when playing with each other as well. Gotta talk a lot and such.

Eamonn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:17 PM
dimi78

It's possible. Don't know how old you are or how much you know about soccer but years ago on the Brazil national team Romario and Bebeto couldn't stand each other yet were a remarkable striking pair together.

I get what your saying though as from the outside looking in it seems that the whole team are friends and Wilson even made a comment how this off ice friendship runs down to the players on the Marlys both teams actually interact which Wilson loves due to the fact when players are called up there is no Marlys corner in the dressing room sticking out from the rest. They step right in and feel part of the team right away.

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Everlong
-

I don't think it matters really. They seem to have different personalities however I've seen them talk alot on the ice and on the bench. It doesn't hurt to have an off-ice relationship, but it's not necessary for success either.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Hurt
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
It's possible. Don't know how old you are or how much you know about soccer but years ago on the Brazil national team Romario and Bebeto couldn't stand each other yet were a remarkable striking pair together.

I get what your saying though as from the outside looking in it seems that the whole team are friends and Wilson even made a comment how this off ice friendship runs down to the players on the Marlys both teams actually interact which Wilson loves due to the fact when players are called up there is no Marlys corner in the dressing room sticking out from the rest. They step right in and feel part of the team right away.
Really? Wow that's interesting.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Interactif
Meet The New Boss

I'm sure they are ok, Lupul judging by his tweets doesn't go out with Bozie, Kess, Gunnar, #teamunit gang as much. He seems to hang on his own, that's okay, the important thing is they get along on the ice. Their reactions on goals looks like they enjoy playing with each other.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Suntouchable13

Ok, that's good then that the whole team gets along well with each other. I just think that if I was a player it would be tough to have great chemistry with a teammate on the ice if I did not get along with them off it. But I see what you guys are saying. Generally it is still possible to have great chemistry even if you don't particularly get along. So it does not matter how 2 players are off the ice. I was just curious to know how that works.

Old
12-24-2011, 12:25 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Let's kill the fantasy: It doesn't really matter. The only important thing is their professional relationship which right now seems terrific. I can see ways that being too close can harm a professional relationship. From personal experience, I know that I've done some of my best work for a boss I didn't personally like and some of my best collaborative work with a co-worker I never saw outside of work.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:27 PM
EazyB97

Who cares?

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:29 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

I thought it was well known that this team is unique in that it has no cliques or squabbles. That everyone seems to get along together. I'm not sure who reported on it, or if it was just general talk on a radio show, but they are known to all get along well.

The old Sundin team had some cliques that caused squabbles.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Aplayaz2000

usually when you have great chemistry with someone to the point where you both succeed

you can become friends

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Suntouchable13

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Who cares?
I know it doesn't matter, but I was just wondering if it is possible to have such great chemistry between 2 players if they don't get along with each other off it. That's what I was trying to get a gauge on. The general consensus that you can. Good, thanks, I got my answer

Old
12-24-2011, 12:41 PM
grabovski4norris

they're the bestest friends

Quote:
Let's kill the fantasy: It doesn't really matter.
hear, hear

don't think good chemistry necessarily means best friends

grabovski4norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 12:43 PM
HockeyCrazed101

Don't really care if they're besties off the ice, so long as they get it done on the ice. The guys already spend a lot of time with one another as it is, it's understandable if they don't hang out all that often in their downtime, especially when many of the guys have girlfriends/wives so they probably need to spend some time with them and families if they want to avoid the doghouse.

Didn't people on here mention that Lupul, Kessel and Mac had gone to some of the Jays game in April? I've read that Bozak and Kadri had Thanksgiving over at Lupul's place. I don't know the validity of these things but just things that I've read places that give me the impression that regardless of how often they hang out off the ice, the teams overall seems to genuinely like and get along with one another. Grabo has spoken about the comraderie and environment in the locker room. Connolly and Lupul have said that the guys do hang out and do other things besides hockey like ping pong (that seems to be a big off ice activity in the locker room - Gus asked for a new ping pong racket for Christmas, lol) and playing poker and stuff like that.

HockeyCrazed101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:00 PM
leafsfuture

If you base interactions based on Twitter you would have to think Schenn is the most anti-social guy on the team. Not saying its true or false, but thats the impression I get

And to everyone who says being friends doesnt matter..... it does.

The nature of pro sports is that comradarie among teams matters. When your on the road your around your teammates most of the time. For us in school and with jobs we try to be friendly with our workers but we have friends who we spend most of our time with. In sports the only "friends" you can see regularly are your teammates.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Baba Ganoush

the way they celebrate together tells me they like each other on and off the ice. just a pure guess by me...but sometimes stuff like that is easier to point out with some than others. they're probably buds.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:15 PM
mapes

This group is one of the closest groups to eachother I've seen, which could be why we are winning. Last night, Kessel could have attempted a move to score the empty net goal to take the goal lead (or tied with Gaborik) but fed it to Lupul instead. He is not this dislikable selfish guy many claim he is

mapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:21 PM
IBeL13f

Off-ice chemistry totally matters. And while people may be saying that just because they're great on the ice doesn't mean they're good friends off it, it definitely helps. My dad and I used to play gentlemen's hockey together, and whenever we were on a line together we had great chemistry because of the relationship off the ice. The more you trust people outside of the rink, the more you can trust them on it, and that leads to much better hockey.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:21 PM
leafsfuture

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
This group is one of the closest groups to eachother I've seen, which could be why we are winning. Last night, Kessel could have attempted a move to score the empty net goal to take the goal lead (or tied with Gaborik) but fed it to Lupul instead. He is not this dislikable selfish guy many claim he is
People to often confuse hitting with being passionate about winning and being a team guy.
Kessel cares about winning, and its pretty evident that he puts the team first. People (including myself at times) like to look at his defensive gaffs and lack of hits, but I know that if the other team has an odd man rush and Kessel is on the ice, he will skate as hard as he possibly cant to prevent a goal.

Kessel isnt one of our 'A's because he is our most skilled player. He has the 'A' because he works hard, is in great physical shape, is willing to change his game to help the team, and because he steps it up when we need him

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:32 PM
BLeafer2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBeL13f View Post
Off-ice chemistry totally matters. And while people may be saying that just because they're great on the ice doesn't mean they're good friends off it, it definitely helps. My dad and I used to play gentlemen's hockey together, and whenever we were on a line together we had great chemistry because of the relationship off the ice. The more you trust people outside of the rink, the more you can trust them on it, and that leads to much better hockey.
I agree with that. If you're playing with someone you trust you can play more aggressive knowing someone will have your back if you get cheap shot'd.

BLeafer2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Quadruple Dion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Heatley had problems in Ottawa yet had pretty good numbers with Spezza. I don't know if he had problems with Spezza but obviously they weren't close enough to stop him from demanding out.
Don't feel like looking for a source, but when Heatley was looking for a trade was also the time of Spezza's wedding. Heatley was invited and said he wanted to go, but decided not to because of the media attention he would've received/distraction he would've caused.

Quadruple Dion is offline   Reply With Quote