HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Drafting : "The Russian Factor"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-25-2011, 05:15 PM
  #1
MettleOiler
Registered User
 
MettleOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Drafting : "The Russian Factor"

Hey gents,

So I was wondering about the 2012 draft and russians seem high on the list. I keep hearing about this "Russian

Factor" and I'm not as familiar with it as most people are in the HFboards. I was also wondering of certain teams that

have picked russians over the past that had trouble keeping them. Would they take that chance again.
Just wanted to to go back to 2000 and see all the top 10 picks that were russians see where they are now.

2000 NHL Entry Draft


No. 8 Nikita Alexeev (Right Wing) Russia Tampa Bay Lightning (from New York Rangers) Erie Otters (OHL)

No. 10 Mikhail Yakubov (Centre) Russia Chicago Blackhawks HC Lada Togliatti (Russia)

Notable Mentions outside the top 10 but inside the top 30

No.20 Alexander Frolov (Left Wing) Russia Los Angeles Kings Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (Russia)

No.21 Anton Volchenkov (Defence) Russia Ottawa Senators CSKA Moscow (Russia)


2001 NHL Entry Draft


No. 1 Ilya Kovalchuk (Left Wing) Russia Atlanta Thrashers Spartak Moscow (Russia)

No. 3 Alexandr Svitov (Centre) Russia Tampa Bay Lightning Avangard Omsk (Russia)

No. 5 Stanislav Chistov (Left Wing) Russia Mighty Ducks of Anaheim Avangard Omsk (Russia)

2002 NHL Entry Draft


No Russians in the top 10

Notable Mentions outside the top 10 but inside the top 30


No. 13 Alexander Semin (forward) Russia Washington Capitals Traktor Chelyabinsk Jrs. (Russia)

No. 18 Denis Grebeshkov (defence) Russia Los Angeles Kings Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (Russia)

2003 NHL Entry Draft

No. 4 Nikolai Zherdev (Right Wing) Russia Columbus Blue Jackets CSKA Moscow (Russia)

The only russian to be picked out of the top 30.

2004 NHL Entry Draft


No. 1 Alexander Ovechkin (Left Wing) * Russia Washington Capitals Dynamo Moscow (Russia)


No. 2 Evgeni Malkin (Center) * Russia Pittsburgh Penguins Metallurg Magnitogorsk (Russia)

Notable Mentions outside the top 10 but inside the top 30


No 15 Alexander Radulov (Right Wing) Russia Nashville Predators Tver (Russia)

2005 NHL Entry Draft


No Russians Picked in the top 30

2006 NHL Entry Draft


No Russians in the top 10

Notable Mentions outside the top 10 but inside the top 30


No. 23 Semyon Varlamov (Goaltender) Russia Washington Capitals (from Nashville) Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (Russia)


2007 NHL Entry Draft


No Russians in the top 10

Notable Mentions outside the top 10 but inside the top 30


No.17 Alexei Cherepanov (Right Wing) Russia New York Rangers Avangard Omsk (Russia)

A tragic death of a promising young russian talent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexei_Cherepanov


2008 NHL Entry Draft


No. 6 Nikita Filatov (left wing) Russia Columbus Blue Jackets CSKA Moscow (Russia)

2009 NHL Entry Draft


No Russians in the top 10

Notable Mentions outside the top 10 but inside the top 30

No. 14 Dmitri Kulikov Russia D Florida Panthers Drummondville Voltigeurs Quebec Major

Junior Hockey League

2010 NHL Entry Draft


No. 8 Aleksandr Burmistrov Russia C Atlanta Thrashers Barrie Colts Ontario Hockey

League

2011 NHL Entry Draft


No Russians in the top 10


So out of the top 10 since 2000, there have been 10 Russians drafted.

3 Have been Impact players for their teams and are considered some the best players in the game today


No. 1 Ilya Kovalchuk

No. 1 Alexander Ovechkin

No. 2 Evgeni Malkin

6 others couldn't cut it and are now playing in the KHL

No. 8 Nikita Alexeev

No. 10Mikhail Yakubov

No. 3 Alexandr Svitov

No. 5 Stanislav Chistov

No. 4 Nikolai Zherdev

*Apparantly has the reputation to be a cancer in the locker room*

No. 6 Nikita Filatov (left wing)

Jury is still out for 2010 draft pick
No. 8 Aleksandr Burmistrov

Some notables outside the top 10 like


No 15 Alexander Radulov

have caused some bad publicity for Russians not honoring their contract.

High skill players with no passion

No. 13 Alexander Semin

No.20 Alexander Frolov

and the late picks in the top 30 that carved a somewhat decent NHL Career

No.21 Anton Volchenkov

No. 18 Denis Grebeshkov

No. 14 Dmitri Kulikov

If we drafted at this moment in time, the team picks would go like this.

Reference : http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

There are 3 Russians to be considered in the top 10 and 2 in the top 5



2012 NHL Entry Draft


1. Columbus Blue Jackets

Have failed with high draft picks in Zherdev (4) and Filatov (6)

Would they honestly pick Yakupov or Grigorenko considering the history?

Nail Yakupov *Russian
Ht/Wt:5'10"/175 lbs
Position:RW
Team: Sarnia (OHL)



2. Anahiem Ducks
Mikhail Grigorenko *Russian
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/183 lbs
Position:RW
Team: Quebec (QMJHL)



3. Carolina Hurricanes
Filip Forsberg
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/176 lbs
Position:LW
Team: Leksands (Swe)



4.New York Islanders
Mathew Dumba
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/165 lbs
Position
Team: Red Deer (WHL)



5. Tampa Bay Lightning
Ryan Murray
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/190 lbs
Position
Team: Everett (WHL)



6*. Washington Capitals

Jacob Trouba
Ht/Wt:6' 1"/185 lbs
Position
Team: USA U-18



7.Edmonton Oilers
Alex Galchenyuk *Russian
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/185 lbs
Position:C
Team: Sarnia (OHL)



8. Calgary Flames
Zemgus Girgensons
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/175 lbs
Position:C
Team: Dubuque (USHL)



9. Los Angeles Kings
Morgan Rielly
Ht/Wt:6' 0"/190 lbs
Position
Team: Moose Jaw (WHL)



10. Montreal Canadians

Cody Ceci
Ht/Wt:6' 2"/203 lbs
Position
Team: Ottawa (OHL)


The only russian I would have confidence in picking would be Yakupov and even then I'm a little hesitant. I am hoping to get a defenceman this year but again we'll see where we are at the end of the season. Pick BPA or by postion?

So anyways,is the "Russian Factor" still dominant in most people's minds that they would second guess in drafting a russian in the top 10? Has something happened in the past 10 years that has given a better outlook for russians to play in the NHL and have an impact? What do oiler fans think?
Please add anything else, I just want to have a better understanding of this 'Russian Factor"
Thanks!


Last edited by MettleOiler: 12-25-2011 at 05:21 PM.
MettleOiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:24 PM
  #2
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
I say stay away from Russians

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:25 PM
  #3
MettleOiler
Registered User
 
MettleOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
I say stay away from Russians
This is what I was thinking :S

Edit: Yaaaaay my 100th post

MettleOiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:26 PM
  #4
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Yeah I'm expecting us to finish in that area where Galchenyuk will fall to us and we'll have no choice but to take him.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:27 PM
  #5
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
if Galchenyk is still on the board when we pick, and is still the BPA, i expect the Oil to take him, Russian or not!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:32 PM
  #6
MettleOiler
Registered User
 
MettleOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
if Galchenyk is still on the board when we pick, and is still the BPA, i expect the Oil to take him, Russian or not!
Really? Has Stu drafted a russian in his Tenur? What is the oilers draft history with russians anyways? They seem to be a huge risk :S

MettleOiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:36 PM
  #7
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,132
vCash: 500
Galenychuk was born in Canada I believe and has spent most of his youth here, so throw that argument out.

If the Oilers are dumb enough to pass on a player because of this, then watch like say Yakupov or Grigorenko become 50 goal/100 point players.

That would be pretty much our luck at this point.

Malkin is the best player in the world right now in Sid's absence. Ovy will snap out of his funk sooner or later too.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:41 PM
  #8
MettleOiler
Registered User
 
MettleOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Galenychuk was born in Canada I believe and has spent most of his youth here, so throw that argument out.

If the Oilers are dumb enough to pass on a player because of this, then watch like say Yakupov or Grigorenko become 50 goal/100 point players.

That would be pretty much our luck at this point.

Malkin is the best player in the world right now in Sid's absence. Ovy will snap out of his funk sooner or later too.
That's good to know about Galenychuk. Thanks for that!
I could see Yakupov 50g/100p but don 't know too much about Grigorenko.

MettleOiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:42 PM
  #9
oilwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 604 Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
if Galchenyk is still on the board when we pick, and is still the BPA, i expect the Oil to take him, Russian or not!
I have no problems taking a Russian. Bottom line is that we need another higend centreman out of this draft.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:45 PM
  #10
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
Really? Has Stu drafted a russian in his Tenur? What is the oilers draft history with russians anyways? They seem to be a huge risk :S
Stus been in charge for three years, that's hardly a good enough sample size. I think Hall and Martindale are the only two players that the oilers have taken out of the OHL the last 4/5 years. Doesn't mean the oilers are boycotting OHL players.

and gagner.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:45 PM
  #11
MettleOiler
Registered User
 
MettleOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
I have no problems taking a Russian. Bottom line is that we need another higend centreman out of this draft.
I think the other bottom line that might be more of a priority is a highend Defenceman. This draft is suppose to be brimming with them.

MettleOiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:46 PM
  #12
Kloparren
Hth
 
Kloparren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,449
vCash: 500
Nothing wrong with drafting CHL Russians...they've all shown signs of wanting to stick to the NHL.

It's just guys like Filatov who are the problem. And even this is overblown...I mean Filatov has expressed a desire to play in NA but not the AHL so if an NHL team is patient with them then it pays off. You have to interview the kid and be sure he wants to be in the NHL like Filatov. Nothing wrong with KHL over AHL but if he considers KHL to be equal to an NHL spot then it's a problem.

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:46 PM
  #13
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
I think the other bottom line that might be more of a priority is a highend Defenceman. This draft is suppose to be brimming with them.
I think the oil need somebody that can come in and make an impact right away, dmen take too long.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:50 PM
  #14
MettleOiler
Registered User
 
MettleOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
I think the oil need somebody that can come in and make an impact right away, dmen take too long.
Larsson is making an Impact straight out of the 2011 draft (isn't he the devils top defenceman already?), IMO I would assume both Murray and Dumba can probably do the same in 2012

MettleOiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 05:57 PM
  #15
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
Larsson is making an Impact straight out of the 2011 draft (isn't he the devils top defenceman already?), IMO I would assume both Murray and Dumba can probably do the same in 2012
Adam Larsson is a rare case, look at dmen from the last 2 years of the draft, only him and arguably Doughty and Hedman made an immediate impact.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:00 PM
  #16
oilwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 604 Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Also we have to draft OV's cousin.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:05 PM
  #17
MettleOiler
Registered User
 
MettleOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Adam Larsson is a rare case, look at dmen from the last 2 years of the draft, only him and arguably Doughty and Hedman made an immediate impact.
I'll give you that, but you have to admit. Murray and Dumba seems to have the rare case aura around them XD

MettleOiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:08 PM
  #18
MettleOiler
Registered User
 
MettleOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
Also we have to draft OV's cousin.
who? cousin?

MettleOiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:11 PM
  #19
oilwings
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 604 Area
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
who? cousin?
Alex Ovechkin's cousin.

oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:13 PM
  #20
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MettleOiler View Post
Really? Has Stu drafted a russian in his Tenur? What is the oilers draft history with russians anyways? They seem to be a huge risk :S
no, there just hasn't been a Russian that's the BPA, when we have drafted in the 1st round in the last 4 drafts that Stu has been involved in.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 06:20 PM
  #21
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,733
vCash: 50
The "Russian factor" is certainly alive and well in NHL circles. Saying that... the "Big 3" Russians this year... Yakupov, Grigorenko and Galchenyuk are all lower risk imo than many Russians from years past.

Galchenyuk grew up in NA so personally I don't even consider him to have that "Russian factor". He is also good friends with Yakupov and Yakupov has stayed with the Galchenyuk family which has helped him with his orientation and transition to the NA lifestyle. I personally doubt Yakupov will be bolting back to Russia when he has played in the OHL and seems to have adapted well.

Grigorenko may be a slightly higher risk... but again he made the choice to come over to the Q in his draft year and seems to be assimilating well to the North American game as well.

Personally if I felt they were the BPA I'd have no problem choosing any of those 3... however the Oilers could have reservations with any and all of them so I'm sure the interview process will be a big part of their assessments of them (as I'm sure it is with every player).

As far as many of the past picks... most were just not talented enough to stick at the NHL level but that's the case with many other non-Russian picks as well. There are a couple well publicized cases like Radulov but how's that really any different than other players who don't want to play with a certain team and demand a trade? Pronger/Souray in Edmonton, Turris in Phoenix, (Lindros in Quebec, Roy in Montreal, if we really want to go far back ).

You can have problems with players no matter what their age or where they were born. I think the Russian factor business is somewhat overblown. If you were going to pass up an Overchkin/Malkin type talent because there was a chance there could be a problem down the road with that player I think that's a little shortsighted... unless that player out and out says they will never play for your team no matter what. Even then, the Nordiques did okay in that scenario when they chose Lindros.

Pick the BPA based on talent and potential and if they don't work out ... that's the way it goes, nothing is guaranteed in the world of drafting young talent no matter where they are from.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 07:54 PM
  #22
Baggers
Registered User
 
Baggers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Thailand
Posts: 1,520
vCash: 500
If Yakupov gets drafted by an American team, I wonder how the fans will feel about drafting a Muslim. Hope FOX doesn't get wind of that.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 08:35 PM
  #23
MettleOiler
Registered User
 
MettleOiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
The "Russian factor" is certainly alive and well in NHL circles. Saying that... the "Big 3" Russians this year... Yakupov, Grigorenko and Galchenyuk are all lower risk imo than many Russians from years past.

Galchenyuk grew up in NA so personally I don't even consider him to have that "Russian factor". He is also good friends with Yakupov and Yakupov has stayed with the Galchenyuk family which has helped him with his orientation and transition to the NA lifestyle. I personally doubt Yakupov will be bolting back to Russia when he has played in the OHL and seems to have adapted well.

Grigorenko may be a slightly higher risk... but again he made the choice to come over to the Q in his draft year and seems to be assimilating well to the North American game as well.

Personally if I felt they were the BPA I'd have no problem choosing any of those 3... however the Oilers could have reservations with any and all of them so I'm sure the interview process will be a big part of their assessments of them (as I'm sure it is with every player).

As far as many of the past picks... most were just not talented enough to stick at the NHL level but that's the case with many other non-Russian picks as well. There are a couple well publicized cases like Radulov but how's that really any different than other players who don't want to play with a certain team and demand a trade? Pronger/Souray in Edmonton, Turris in Phoenix, (Lindros in Quebec, Roy in Montreal, if we really want to go far back ).

You can have problems with players no matter what their age or where they were born. I think the Russian factor business is somewhat overblown. If you were going to pass up an Overchkin/Malkin type talent because there was a chance there could be a problem down the road with that player I think that's a little shortsighted... unless that player out and out says they will never play for your team no matter what. Even then, the Nordiques did okay in that scenario when they chose Lindros.

Pick the BPA based on talent and potential and if they don't work out ... that's the way it goes, nothing is guaranteed in the world of drafting young talent no matter where they are from.
Thanks for elaborating on that. You have some Valid points, and actually gives me a better understanding of the "the russian factor" I'm actually pleasantly surprised how many people don't really care about it, which means its more of a overblown reputation. I guess you gotta deal with it when it comes along, just like any player. (ex. recently Kyle Turris and he's canadian )

MettleOiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:48 PM
  #24
czar99
Registered User
 
czar99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shultz'z Place
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilwings View Post
Also we have to draft OV's cousin.
What? Did you say draft Strudwick?

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2011, 09:50 PM
  #25
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,429
vCash: 500
I'm not worried about Grigorenko or Yakupov, usually when a kid comes over to play in the "mini NHL", they want to have a career in the NHL one day.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.