HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our Penalty Kill - Who to blame?

View Poll Results: Who is responsible for our horrible PK in the past 4 years?
Wilson 24 23.30%
Wilson AND the Assistant Coaches 40 38.83%
Goaltending 7 6.80%
Players/Face-off percentage 15 14.56%
Other (Please specify) 17 16.50%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-26-2011, 05:46 PM
iArts
ಠ_ಠ

vCash: 500
The biggest reason is probably the coaching stuff. None of us know which one of the coaches is responsible for the PK. (Maybe that's why Wilson got extended. Maybe he's not responsible for the PK)

However,there's one thing that I noticed in our penalty kill and I think that's the main reason we are so bad at it. 4 times out of 5,when we get posession of the puck,we can't clear the zone. I have no idea why,but our players don't seem to know how to do it at all.

They either:
A: Try to wire it around the boards,it gets caught by the defender on the point. (Shoot harder and higher).
B: They try to clear it through the middle,but not high,they do it low. Also,they almost never look if there's actually somebody there.

Now,why they make these simple mistakes is beyond me,but that's what I see from just watching the games on TV.

Both situation only lead to problems obviously. At least one of our PK'ers is out of position when the puck gets caught at the line (the one who tried to clear it),they can't change,they're tired etc.

TL;DR read it,that's why I wrote it.

iArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:51 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Buff View Post
It'll get better the more Reimer plays.
Out of 44 goalies who have faced 50+ on the PK, Reimer's save pct (.778) is 44th.

Gustavsson is 37th, at .835.

Reimer was 21/27 prior to his injury, for .778

He's 42/54 since his return, obviously for the same .778, as 42 = 2x21 and 54 = 2x27.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Doshy

It's because Mike Brown barely plays.

Doshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:58 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courage View Post
And without further examination this is perfectly plausible. When you're trying to look cleaver, confounding correlation with causation is to be avoided. (...)
When you're trying to mock someone for trying to look clever, it helps people to pay attention to your argument if you spell the word correctly.

Otherwise you pass for a mass murderer.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Doshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
When you're trying to mock someone for trying to look clever, it helps people to pay attention to your argument if you spell the word correctly.

Otherwise you pass for a mass murderer.
It wouldn't surprise me if half of Leafs Nation were mass murderers, judging on their split personality disorders that comes out after games.

Old
12-26-2011, 11:59 PM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Do the Marlies use their best players on the PK?

My guess is, we need to start using our better players with better hockey sense on the PK. Not that I'm blaming the players, because the coach plays a key role in this.
Better players, this I agree, said this last night, Wilson has errored in not using Kessel, here you have a guy who is very fast and dangerous when he is on the ice. If we can't stop them from scoring maybe we can score a shorthanded goal to change the tide of a game. Bozak IMO is our best PK fwd, Wilson has nothing to lose by putting Kessel out there with him. They may even win a game or 2 with a shorthanded goal, and that may be the difference in making the playoffs or not. Actually I suggested this last year, why not try Kessel on the PK? At this stage it is worth a try.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Al14
Fire Shanahan

I voted 'Other'. Burke has failed to provide this team with the right mixture of coaching and players!

Al14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:15 AM
Doshy

Kessel doesn't and won't play the PK (except the odd few seconds before a returning player [Bozak or Lupul] comes back on) because if he blocks a shot and breaks his ankle...well there go our playoffs.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:37 AM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshy View Post
Kessel doesn't and won't play the PK (except the odd few seconds before a returning player [Bozak or Lupul] comes back on) because if he blocks a shot and breaks his ankle...well there go our playoffs.
haven't you heard, Kessel is immuned to getting injured

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshy View Post
Perry, Giroux, Toews, Kessler, Staal, Richards, Thornton, Marleau, ect...all kill penalties. The risk of getting hurt in hockey isn't confined to the PK.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:49 AM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 50
Phillipe Dupuis is to blame

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:00 AM
Tak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Perry, Giroux, Toews, Kessler, Staal, Richards, Thornton, Marleau, ect...all kill penalties. The risk of getting hurt in hockey isn't confined to the PK.
Most of the players you mentioned have considerably more point-producing depth than we do at the current moment.

He wanted to play the PK this season, and has seen time on the PK, but there's no point at all risking it - not when you have guys there that apparently should be able to do the job.

I know I don't want my team's best player and most valuable player playing in a situation where there is a very high chance that he is going to have to stand in front of a bullet slap shot. No thanks.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:02 AM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 2050
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blue Devil View Post
PK was bad before Wilson.
And both those coaches are rightfully no longer in the NHL.

Epictetus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:11 AM
anderson3133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Better players, this I agree, said this last night, Wilson has errored in not using Kessel, here you have a guy who is very fast and dangerous when he is on the ice. If we can't stop them from scoring maybe we can score a shorthanded goal to change the tide of a game. Bozak IMO is our best PK fwd, Wilson has nothing to lose by putting Kessel out there with him. They may even win a game or 2 with a shorthanded goal, and that may be the difference in making the playoffs or not. Actually I suggested this last year, why not try Kessel on the PK? At this stage it is worth a try.
People usually try to get players on the ice who are willing to sacrifice the body. With a whopping 7 blocked shots and equally as many hits, that seems like a terrible idea. Not to mention, icing him for another 10% increase in ice time per game could affect him later in the game, when we need him the most.

I'm as big a Kessel fan as there is but please stop being delusional.

anderson3133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:05 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iArts View Post
The biggest reason is probably the coaching stuff. None of us know which one of the coaches is responsible for the PK. (Maybe that's why Wilson got extended. Maybe he's not responsible for the PK)

However,there's one thing that I noticed in our penalty kill and I think that's the main reason we are so bad at it. 4 times out of 5,when we get posession of the puck,we can't clear the zone. I have no idea why,but our players don't seem to know how to do it at all.

They either:
A: Try to wire it around the boards,it gets caught by the defender on the point. (Shoot harder and higher).
B: They try to clear it through the middle,but not high,they do it low. Also,they almost never look if there's actually somebody there.

Now,why they make these simple mistakes is beyond me,but that's what I see from just watching the games on TV.

Both situation only lead to problems obviously. At least one of our PK'ers is out of position when the puck gets caught at the line (the one who tried to clear it),they can't change,they're tired etc.

TL;DR read it,that's why I wrote it.
you make no sense.

you say the reason is the coach. then you say the think you notice is the players can't clear the puck. you think they need the coach to tell them how to do that after 15 plus years of hockey?

the PK falls on the players

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Briecheeze

Combination of things - no pressure on the PK, no willingness on the part of players to block a freakin shot (also known as the "Tim Brent Corollary"), and mental lapses (failing to clear the puck), leading to the players skating all over the place as they try to recover.

Briecheeze is offline   Reply With Quote