HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weight Gain/New Workout Thread

Old
12-26-2011, 06:46 PM
boodangleroo28

vCash: 500
Weight Gain/New Workout Thread

Hey guys sorry if this clouds up the forum but i figure this is a good place for my question.

I'm 5'9" and only about 130lbs, Ive been going to the gym consistently over the past few weeks doing chest& triceps day 1, back&bi day 2, legs and abs, and shoulders& cardio.

Does anyone have any suggestions on efficient and healthy ways to gain weight and mass. I've been taking whey protein but was wondering if there is any other supplements out there most efficient but as well as healthy.

I appreciate any feedback and Happy holidays

Go FLYERS!!

boodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I've adjusted this thread to be the new workout related thread, since the old one is who knows where, and I'm sure others will want to discuss ways to drop off the inevitable holiday lard. Have at it!

12-26-2011, 07:02 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Steroids.

I know a guy (*cough* Lenny Dykstra *cough*) in the Philly area who could hook you up if you're interested...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Justified
Amaro out

basically just push yourself to your limit, always try to do one more rep even though you think you cant do anymore. I have just started lifting heavy again about a month ago and I have already started to put on weight. Also if you want to get in good shape, try a circuit when you lift. this is when you use weights that are fairly easy for you but you do multiple exercises without stopping for an extended period of time.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I've had success with Nitro Tech. It definitely helps muscle growth.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:44 PM
livewell68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I've had success with Nitro Tech. It definitely helps muscle growth.
Isn't Nitro Tech a "weight gainer" though which means it's packed with carbs as well?

I took Nitro Tech a few years ago, I was in pretty good shape as I was 6'0 tall and about 190 lbs mostly muscle. I went from 190 lbs in August of 2007 to 239 lbs in January 2008. What I noticed is I gained a lot of muscle but also gained at lot of fat in my stomach and had stretch marks all over my biceps.

I would never recommend Nitro Tech to anyone.

Best way to approach this is be very realistic, expect to gain lean muscle weight over a prolonged period of time.

A reasonable expectation always keeping fitness and leanness in mind is about 2-5 lbs of mostly pure muscle gain a month.

Have a well balanced diet with 20% fat ( you need good fats in your diet to allow your muscles to grow and not diminish), 30% carbs and 50% lean proteins such as white chicken, fish, extra lean meats and low fat dairy.

Also drink lots of water. Mix cardio with heavy weight lifting but don't add heavy weights only to sacrifice repetitions.

A good example is using the pyramid system. Take the flat bench press for example :

My maximum is about 230 lbs. What I do is 1 full 8-10 rep set of 230 lbs with the barbell.

Then I take off 30 lbs and do 1 10-12 rep set of 200 lbs.

Then I take off another 30 lbs and do 1 10-12 rep set with 170 lbs.

I then do 145 lbs 1 10-12 rep set.

I finish by doing as many reps as I could (until I feel the burn) with no weights on the barbell.

For muscle gain, always incorporate power exercises into your routine such as the bench press, squats, dips and the military shoulder press.

At the rate of 2-5 lbs of muscle a month, you can expect to gain about 20-30 lbs of lean muscle (which is a very big gain and can be seen rather easily, you would look like Ryan Reynolds in Blade) in 4-8 months.

That's my two cents.

Last edited by livewell68: 12-26-2011 at 07:51 PM.
livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 07:47 PM
whskybarJM

if youre trying to gain mass you need to pack in the food. carbs, protein, and the good fats. you can easily get a diet guide to give you the correct portions.

yoga, cardio, weight training, and diet.

I got tired of being a 6'1 160lb pole and went to a 195-205 pipe layer.

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Mgkibbles

High protein, high fat diet. Then when you're working out do low reps (3-5 reps) with high weight.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:14 PM
mm6492

If you eat above maintenance level, you gain weight. Below, you lose weight.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:38 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I'm really still considering going to a gym. Shouldn't be a bad idea considering how much free time I have right now. Also... I really do need to lose some weight.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Isn't Nitro Tech a "weight gainer" though which means it's packed with carbs as well?

I took Nitro Tech a few years ago, I was in pretty good shape as I was 6'0 tall and about 190 lbs mostly muscle. I went from 190 lbs in August of 2007 to 239 lbs in January 2008. What I noticed is I gained a lot of muscle but also gained at lot of fat in my stomach and had stretch marks all over my biceps.

I would never recommend Nitro Tech to anyone.

Best way to approach this is be very realistic, expect to gain lean muscle weight over a prolonged period of time.

A reasonable expectation always keeping fitness and leanness in mind is about 2-5 lbs of mostly pure muscle gain a month.

Have a well balanced diet with 20% fat ( you need good fats in your diet to allow your muscles to grow and not diminish), 30% carbs and 50% lean proteins such as white chicken, fish, extra lean meats and low fat dairy.

Also drink lots of water. Mix cardio with heavy weight lifting but don't add heavy weights only to sacrifice repetitions.

A good example is using the pyramid system. Take the flat bench press for example :

My maximum is about 230 lbs. What I do is 1 full 8-10 rep set of 230 lbs with the barbell.

Then I take off 30 lbs and do 1 10-12 rep set of 200 lbs.

Then I take off another 30 lbs and do 1 10-12 rep set with 170 lbs.

I then do 145 lbs 1 10-12 rep set.

I finish by doing as many reps as I could (until I feel the burn) with no weights on the barbell.

For muscle gain, always incorporate power exercises into your routine such as the bench press, squats, dips and the military shoulder press.

At the rate of 2-5 lbs of muscle a month, you can expect to gain about 20-30 lbs of lean muscle (which is a very big gain and can be seen rather easily, you would look like Ryan Reynolds in Blade) in 4-8 months.

That's my two cents.

No, the stuff I have isn't a weight gainer. It's just whey protein, no extra calories or carbs. I think it's the Muscle Tech variety.

You bring up a good point though: make sure you buy the right stuff. Nitro Tech does make a weight gainer.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 08:59 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

I actually just did this recently. I'm 21 years old and started at 180lb (ended at 210 in 3 months) so it's a bit different, but if you are trying to gain weight go buy a lot of whey protein and whole milk.

You could literally take your normal diet and add 3 (1 scoop of protein each) shakes with whole milk a day and you'd gain a ton of weight in no time (especially at your weight). I could type out my whole diet if you'd like, but the main contributing factor to gaining 30 pounds (mostly of muscle) in 3 months was adding whole milk protein shakes with 1/3 cup of oats (I would grind them up in a coffee grinder) to my diet.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:11 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:29 PM
SgtJoseph

If you want to gain some weight that's fine, but i have learned through my 53 years that being "lean" and strong has many more benefits than being heavy and strong.
During my 20 years in the military i learned that the lean strong guys were usually the 'REAL" tough guys that had much more endurance, agility, and the ability to go long periods with less sleep, food, etc than the heavier, bulkier muscled types could.
I suggest you get on a good work out regiment, eat 3 good meals a day, and eat a lot of fruit like oranges, Apples, Bananas, in between meals.I am 53 years old, 6ft 190lbs and i ride a bicycle 100+ miles per week and start each day Mon through Friday by rolling outta the rack and doing 100 push-ups.....Been doing that for 30+ years for the most part.If you eat well and get proper exercise, your body will be the weight its supposed to be at....Learn to accept that, and don't get caught up in all of that nonsense you see and read in magazines.....you will be much better served in the long run.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:31 PM
s3x

High protein, high fat, but you need carbs to spike your insulin levels post-workout so that your muscles can recruit protein into your cells. Make sure you're getting your L-glutamine either in your post-workout protein or as a separate supplement. There are many supplements out there that may help. Bodybuilding.com is a good resource, for obvious reasons.

But getting to the bigger picture -- research has shown that maximum hypertrophy (growth) has been found to be in the 6-8 rep range (where your last rep is to exhaustion). At your weight, most of your effort should be concentrated on compound lifts. If you have to, go to a trainer and spend a few days going through various compound lift techniques. You'll get your best results by hitting your legs hard -- the growth hormones released by squats and deadlifts will pack on mass over your entire body, not just your legs. If you neglect these lifts, you will not grow at nearly as adequate a rate.

A lot of people miscalculate diet. People that take Weight Gainer and end up putting on too much fat failed to balance their calories appropriately. To put on lean mass with a minimum amount of fat, you should only be looking for a maximum of a 300-500 caloric increase per day based on your current maintenance weight. Often, you'll see people trying to put on weight binging on foods. That's fine -- they will put on mass if they are lifting hard, but they will also put on a ton of fat -- and that requires a cutting phase that will inevitably strip some lean mass as well.

If you want, shoot me an email and I can give you the first phase of the workout I supplied to my rugby players. It's dedicated to maximum growth and hits your major muscle groups over the course of a week. What you don't need to be doing right now is isolation lifts. You should be incorporating a press and a pull in every one of your workouts to get the most out of it. s3x@me.com

Most of my friends and I were bigger in college playing collegiate athletics and realized that in the real word, leaner is better. Going to the gym to get huge is fun but it's difficult to maintain. Only taking a few weeks off leaves many of these bulkier men with sagging skin. Get to a comfortable weight that makes you feel good. Your body will find it if you are focused on a variety of activities specific to endurance, agility, and core strength.

Good luck.

Last edited by s3x: 12-26-2011 at 11:13 PM.
s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 09:46 PM
boodangleroo28

Thanks guys i really appreciate the feedback, one aspect that limits me a little is my left shoulder, i tore my rotator cuff about 5 years ago and its still a little iffy, my left shoulder blade is actually about an inch higher then the right. Eating more seems to be a key aspect for me being how skinny i am, i dont have the biggest appetite all the time so i guess I'm going to be forced to kind of stuff my self at some points.

boodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:34 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
If you want to gain some weight that's fine, but i have learned through my 53 years that being "lean" and strong has many more benefits than being heavy and strong.
During my 20 years in the military i learned that the lean strong guys were usually the 'REAL" tough guys that had much more endurance, agility, and the ability to go long periods with less sleep, food, etc than the heavier, bulkier muscled types could.
I suggest you get on a good work out regiment, eat 3 good meals a day, and eat a lot of fruit like oranges, Apples, Bananas, in between meals.I am 53 years old, 6ft 190lbs and i ride a bicycle 100+ miles per week and start each day Mon through Friday by rolling outta the rack and doing 100 push-ups.....Been doing that for 30+ years for the most part.If you eat well and get proper exercise, your body will be the weight its supposed to be at....Learn to accept that, and don't get caught up in all of that nonsense you see and read in magazines.....you will be much better served in the long run.
You are slowly becoming my favourite writer on this board.

For the OP, the above by SgtJoseph is great advice, because it optimizes your body type without changing who you are. Getting healthier and stronger is great; trying to remake your slim body into a bulky magazine image is an impossible journey, and will leave you feeling frustrated and with a flabby stomach. I was built like you. Trust me, weight will come on its own. The best thing you can do is eat well and focus on staying cut without bulking up.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Flyers845

Try body building . Com website. Their forum has a lot of good info on there

Flyers845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:12 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodangleroo28 View Post
Hey guys sorry if this clouds up the forum but i figure this is a good place for my question.

I'm 5'9" and only about 130lbs, Ive been going to the gym consistently over the past few weeks doing chest& triceps day 1, back&bi day 2, legs and abs, and shoulders& cardio.

Does anyone have any suggestions on efficient and healthy ways to gain weight and mass. I've been taking whey protein but was wondering if there is any other supplements out there most efficient but as well as healthy.

I appreciate any feedback and Happy holidays

Go FLYERS!!
This was almost 20 years ago, but playing football as a teenager I went from 140lbs to 165lbs in 2 months on a program called the "Dash Building Box". The coach thought I was on steroids and I had to convince him that I wasn't.

They do not make it anymore, but I have read recently that whey protein alone with creatine and l glutamine is what is recommended. I used creatine about 15 years ago and found that it only gave benefits for about a month or two and made muscles temporarily harder, but that is it.

What I can say is that I had gained more weight when I worked muscle groups less often than what I thought was necessary. Also, total calories matter. When I road the bench "playing" football at uni, I consumed 5000 calories a day. Then when I stopped I lost 30 pounds (a lot of it muscle) in 3 months just by not eating as much.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2011, 11:18 PM
s3x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
... trying to remake your slim body into a bulky magazine image is an impossible journey, and will leave you feeling frustrated and with a flabby stomach.
This is simply not true and some of the worst support/advice I've ever heard. Am I suggesting that one should strive for this? Absolutely not. But whatever one can imagine, within certain limitations of physics and genetics, can be achieved if one is focused and dedicated enough.

s3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:45 AM
whskybarJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
You are slowly becoming my favourite writer on this board.

For the OP, the above by SgtJoseph is great advice, because it optimizes your body type without changing who you are. Getting healthier and stronger is great; trying to remake your slim body into a bulky magazine image is an impossible journey, and will leave you feeling frustrated and with a flabby stomach. I was built like you. Trust me, weight will come on its own. The best thing you can do is eat well and focus on staying cut without bulking up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3x View Post
This is simply not true and some of the worst support/advice I've ever heard. Am I suggesting that one should strive for this? Absolutely not. But whatever one can imagine, within certain limitations of physics and genetics, can be achieved if one is focused and dedicated enough.
when you do it correctly, eat healthy, and switch your routine to prevent muscle memory you can obtain a desired build.

what you can not control is genetics. biggest example is abs. some people can not obtain a perfect 6 pack look because the inherited muscle formation is different from another person.

whskybarJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 10:12 AM
decadentia

PB Sammiches

oh and the ketone advice is good too I guess.

I just lift weights and eat lots of protein (tuna is great), whey protein shakes will help you as well. I have the opposite problem, i'm more of a stalkier build so i'd go with what Sgt Joseph said. Just get into good eating habits, get lots of cardio. For a toned build, you'd likely want to lift smaller weights but increased reps...if you want to get real big, you will have to increase the weights (thus, less reps). Make sure you take at least a day off per week, I ****ed up my arm by continous lifting and it set me back. (thus getting chub back)

A lot of bigger guys I know have 0 endurance, you can get huge and have short breath and probably be relatively unhealthy in some respects. Supposedly even women were polled wanting the "professional swimmer" look.

Last edited by decadentia: 12-27-2011 at 10:20 AM.
decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3x View Post
I'm sorry, but you make it sound like focus and dedication is almost on par with genetics. It's not even close. The OP is a very slim guy who's only been at the gym for a few weeks. The workout comments he's received here are helpful, but they assume he'll be able to stick with a body-building program over a long time and that he'll be able to override his basic shape. I wish the OP success, but the reality is that most people don't stick with an intense gym program. It's likely that despite the good advice of you and others, he may remain slim. My comments to him weren't intended to contradict yours or anyone else's; they were intended as a realistic alternative if his new-found gym interest fades away: Respect your body type and work with what you have. That's all I was trying to say.

Since I had a very similar build to the OP when I was in my 20s (I'm 5'10" and used to be 135lbs, now I'm 155), I speak from my own experience that the best exercise is usually the kind that fits your body type. I'm 51, I run long and short distances and I'm fast. I also do plenty of rep weights. I would've loved to have more bulk, but my body only added so much, despite focus and dedication. But I'm in great shape and can do almost anything I used to do. As the other writer I responded to said: Duration is a more workable goal when you're slim, and it yields much better longer-term benefits.

Old
12-27-2011, 11:32 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by whskybarJM View Post
when you do it correctly, eat healthy, and switch your routine to prevent muscle memory you can obtain a desired build.

what you can not control is genetics. biggest example is abs. some people can not obtain a perfect 6 pack look because the inherited muscle formation is different from another person.
No argument. As I just wrote in my previous post, my perspective is more long-term because I'm older. I see a young guy trying to exercise his way to a different body and remember all the people I know who tried, but ultimately hit a wall of boredom, time-management, injury, but mostly - genetics. Yeah, stomach's the biggest thing, but the same is true with arms, calves, etc.

Again, my two-cents wasn't intended to dispute the workout advice of others, it was more of a fatherly approach to appreciate what you have, because workouts won't outlast your genes.

Old
12-27-2011, 12:15 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

I'd say before you do any exercise at all, which I assume you already are (so keep doing what you are in regards to working out) track your diet/what you are eating for 2 weeks.

Food Name
Calories
Fat
Protien
Carbs.

THEN after 2 weeks, see where your intake is at - if trying to build muscle
1. 5 meals a day - 3 whole meals and 2 other moderate snacks - lots of water. You'll need to bring in 500 EXTRA calories a DAY to equal 3500 a WEEK in order to gain and maintain growth - 1lb a week.
2. 2x body weight in protien is a great start
3. try body weight exercises, pull ups, chin ups, dips - as that will create very stabile muscles - so work these into your program, if on one.
4. Always use correct form, you'll get big and have a nice 'shred' (if you want to call it) with great form.
5. cut out cardio all together if trying to GAIN weight - add it in LATER (months?)
6. Instead of the way you are training, which you are using the same types of muscles - pulls/pushes - try Back with tri - push AND pull(vice versa), bi with shoulder, back with chest, legs.

During this I would make sure you are warm while working out, don't wear shorts and tshirts - wear sweats and a long sleeve, keep the muscle warm but NOT hot.

A workout shouldn't be more than an hour, if you are eating right and following something you'll be fine.

Once you get a good base with discipline then start a program(s).

Any questions, PM me.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote