HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/26 Your New Jersey Devils at Not Hartford Whalers

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-27-2011, 02:14 PM
  #601
jBrett
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle evs48 View Post
Our team is in 7th. There is no way another coach would have us doing much better. The other teams are built better and are superior. We are playing in a tough conference and division. DeBoer is NOT the problem.
Do you really not remember what happened in the second half of last season? We were playing a lot better than now. Worse team then too (no Larsson, Parise, Carter, Foster).

jBrett is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 02:19 PM
  #602
Cowbell232
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBrett View Post
Do you really not remember what happened in the second half of last season? We were playing a lot better than now. Worse team then too (no Larsson, Parise, Carter, Foster).
And we had Zajac, Tallinder, and Greene all the time... or do you really not remember what happened in the second half of last season?

__________________
"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
"I learned not to question Cowbell's willingness to ban." - Brian Boyle
Cowbell232 is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 02:21 PM
  #603
Getzo5
The Punisher
 
Getzo5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Presov, SVK
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 21,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBrett View Post
Do you really not remember what happened in the second half of last season? We were playing a lot better than now. Worse team then too (no Larsson, Parise, Carter, Foster).
Playing or getting better results? There`s a difference pal.

We were better defensively (obvious reasons) though.

Getzo5 is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 02:23 PM
  #604
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,353
vCash: 500
lemaire would be getting more out of this group than deboer. no question in my mind. but the past is the past, and deboer has been doing OK so far.

MartyOwns is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 02:31 PM
  #605
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked
 
Richer's Ghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: photoshop labor camp
Country: United States
Posts: 47,800
vCash: 425
Can Lemaire get more out of Marty?

__________________

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 02:37 PM
  #606
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333
 
MartyOwns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 10,353
vCash: 500
probably yes, probably check marty's 2nd half numbers last year

MartyOwns is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 08:09 PM
  #607
NJD Kula
yay hockey
 
NJD Kula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Po'
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,896
vCash: 500
I was almost right about the Devs coming back, I thought for sure they would tie it up too, the Canes looked like they were in a panic in the last minute and the Devils were storming the gates!

So of course Kovy had to be the one to launchpad mcquack that pass

On the whole a lot went wrong that game but the Devils were pretty close to stealing a point, that is a good sign.

Now if the Devils can only figure out how to score maybe 2-5% better on the PP and allow only 1-2 more SH goals the remainder of the season I would say they are going to be very dangerous.


NJD Kula is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 08:21 PM
  #608
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Can Lemaire get more out of Marty?
Marty's been outplaying Moose the last couple of weeks. Lemaire could probably get them to play D, which would help the goalies. Then again, they wouldn't score as much.

guyincognito is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 08:26 PM
  #609
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Marty's been outplaying Moose the last couple of weeks. Lemaire could probably get them to play D, which would help the goalies. Then again, they wouldn't score as much.
I say DeBoer should coach them to the 3-0 lead, then Lemaire should take over for the rest of the game.

TheUnseenHand is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 08:45 PM
  #610
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,213
vCash: 500
So what you are saying is that we should sit back more on the lead?

I could swear that's the opposite of what this board has been preaching for years.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 08:48 PM
  #611
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
I love how our defense plays when we need goals to come back but they do need a lot of work on defending leads. And this SHG stuff is getting real old. I'm surprised Oates hasn't been let go by now.

Oroku Saki* is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 08:49 PM
  #612
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
So what you are saying is that we should sit back more on the lead?

I could swear that's the opposite of what this board has been preaching for years.
They are sitting back on their leads, that's the problem. If you're going to sit back on a lead, at least have a system when you're doing so.

guyincognito is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 08:53 PM
  #613
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
They are sitting back on their leads, that's the problem. If you're going to sit back on a lead, at least have a system when you're doing so.
I swear they are still sending 2 forecheckers up the whole game no matter what though. CD verified it too.

Or is it that 2 forecheckers are going forward but the rest are sitting back too far?

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 08:54 PM
  #614
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
So what you are saying is that we should sit back more on the lead?

I could swear that's the opposite of what this board has been preaching for years.
Not sit back with the lead. Just not play like chickens with their head cut off in their own zone.

I love what DeBoer does getting the lead, but even while they are scoring they are totally lost in their own zone. Come the third period, when the other team really dials up the pressure, that incompetence in their own zone becomes blatantly apparent. I just wish JL was there to just help them out in that regard. Not stop pressuring, just be competent in their own zone.

TheUnseenHand is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 08:56 PM
  #615
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Rocky Point
Country: United States
Posts: 24,130
vCash: 500
Does Stevens replace Big Bird next season?

Oroku Saki* is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 08:57 PM
  #616
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
They are sitting back on their leads, that's the problem. If you're going to sit back on a lead, at least have a system when you're doing so.
Actually I agree with kiwidevil here. I don't think they do sit back. It's just that the opposing team starts really upping the pressure and that accentuates the D zone issues. They get stuck in their own zone longer as the opposing D pinches more, and usually that leads to a goal against.

TheUnseenHand is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 09:03 PM
  #617
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand View Post
Actually I agree with kiwidevil here. I don't think they do sit back. It's just that the opposing team starts really upping the pressure and that accentuates the D zone issues. They get stuck in their own zone longer as the opposing D pinches more, and usually that leads to a goal against.
Is that more to do with the Dmen though?

Losing White and all the injuries lately don't help in that regard.

I'd like to see how a fully healthy D core can play now with Salvador doing well. Tallinder needs to pick it up though.

Quite a few of our D have trouble with positioning, which is actual "defense". Part of the risk you take when we move towards more PMD and a 19y.o rookie on a NA size rink as your biggest minute eater.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 09:04 PM
  #618
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
I swear they are still sending 2 forecheckers up the whole game no matter what though. CD verified it too.

Or is it that 2 forecheckers are going forward but the rest are sitting back too far?
I felt their forecheck got REAL soft against Washington. They keep a prescence but they were playing alot of box + 1 looks in that period. The 1 would harass guys a bit but the box was set back.

I think what gets people to think they're still forechecking is the ease the other teams have in getting into their zone.

guyincognito is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 09:07 PM
  #619
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie
 
TheUnseenHand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Appleton, WI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Is that more to do with the Dmen though?

Losing White and all the injuries lately don't help in that regard.

I'd like to see how a fully healthy D core can play now with Salvador doing well. Tallinder needs to pick it up though.

Quite a few of our D have trouble with positioning, which is actual "defense". Part of the risk you take when we move towards more PMD.
IMO the forwards have been just as responsible for the poor D zone play. No one knows where to go. There are way too many times I see all 5 guys following the puck around like pee wee players. Sure, the D being out of position throws off the forwards, but it goes the other way just as much IMO. The forwards being out of position throws off the D. It's just a total mess.

I agree with the sentiment that losing White doesn't help, but the D zone was mess even with Greene, Tallinder and more recently Larsson.

TheUnseenHand is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 09:12 PM
  #620
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
I felt their forecheck got REAL soft against Washington. They keep a prescence but they were playing alot of box + 1 looks in that period. The 1 would harass guys a bit but the box was set back.

I think what gets people to think they're still forechecking is the ease the other teams have in getting into their zone.
Oh ok. I just see two men in the camera shot when the opposition is trying to break out which we never sore with Lemaire etc.

I think most of the late goals scored against us have been scrambles and rebounds anyway, then dribble shots that make it straight to an open man in front. The amount of times we try that and it misses is frustrating.

We really need Greene back too. He may not be flashy, but he does everything well enough and seems to make the least amount of bad plays over 60 mins.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 09:20 PM
  #621
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Oh ok. I just see two men in the camera shot when the opposition is trying to break out which we never sore with Lemaire etc.

I think most of the late goals scored against us have been scrambles and rebounds anyway, then dribble shots that make it straight to an open man in front. The amount of times we try that and it misses is frustrating.

We really need Greene back too. He may not be flashy, but he does everything well enough and seems to make the least amount of bad plays over 60 mins.
Yeah, they didn't even contest last year. But the difference, they could keep the other team out of their zone and keep shot totals down. This year they're not preventing other teams from getting in during the 3rd period. And they're not keeping the possession they have earlier in the game, that they have when they're playing well...

Then when the teams get into the zone, our **** coverage goes into effect.

guyincognito is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 09:24 PM
  #622
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,213
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
Yeah, they didn't even contest last year. But the difference, they could keep the other team out of their zone and keep shot totals down. This year they're not preventing other teams from getting in during the 3rd period. And they're not keeping the possession they have earlier in the game, that they have when they're playing well...

Then when the teams get into the zone, our **** coverage goes into effect.
Yeah definitely see that.

Do you think Tao and Urbom have made it worse? Or do you think they have done well?

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 09:33 PM
  #623
guyincognito
Registered User
 
guyincognito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 31,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Yeah definitely see that.

Do you think Tao and Urbom have made it worse? Or do you think they have done well?
It's been a problem all year. I thouht Tao had a pretty good defensive sequence in the 2nd last night, but it didn't matter, they got scored on pretty soon after on the rebound off Moose's head/neck.

I don't understand what they're supposed to be doing in their own end. Even bad teams like Carolina seem to have a plan and keep their shape, even if they're backed all the way in (like that Sykora onetimer that got blocked in the 2nd) We run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

It's something that has to change, but isn't. You can't be a successful team when you need to score 4 goals to win a game outright. It's to the point I don't even get mad when they get scored on because I know they're not going to win a 2-1, 3-2 type game. They either score or they lose.

guyincognito is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 09:38 PM
  #624
kiwidevil
____________________
 
kiwidevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,213
vCash: 500
Yeah I find myself cringing lots when both our Dmen start chasing and leaving a guy all alone. Especially when our forwards don't seem to come down to help out. They act as if the point man is the biggest threat and would rather leave someone alone down low.

I don't feel our goalies have help us out a lot this year either at times. Seems to be a lot of goals from wristers coming down the wing from wide out.

kiwidevil is offline  
Old
12-27-2011, 09:39 PM
  #625
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks
 
BrodeursCups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NoDak now NYC area
Country: United States
Posts: 29,849
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyincognito View Post
It's been a problem all year. I thouht Tao had a pretty good defensive sequence in the 2nd last night, but it didn't matter, they got scored on pretty soon after on the rebound off Moose's head/neck.

I don't understand what they're supposed to be doing in their own end. Even bad teams like Carolina seem to have a plan and keep their shape, even if they're backed all the way in (like that Sykora onetimer that got blocked in the 2nd) We run around like chickens with their heads cut off.

It's something that has to change, but isn't. You can't be a successful team when you need to score 4 goals to win a game outright. It's to the point I don't even get mad when they get scored on because I know they're not going to win a 2-1, 3-2 type game. They either score or they lose.
I'm at that point as well. They run, the positioning is garbage and it results in clean lanes to the net from below the goal line all the time.

And the injuries on D mean nothing because it's not like it just changed when Larsson/Greene/Tally have been gone. Tally might make it worse because he's so soft and inconsistent

The season is almost halfway over so I'm not expecting some magical change because they've had plenty of time to work on it. This isn't all on the D either because all 5 go through long pinned in shifts where they seem confused..

BrodeursCups is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.