HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which expo moment was the worse

View Poll Results: Which expo moment was the worst
Blue Monday 9 18.00%
The Strike 35 70.00%
The sale of the club 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2004, 10:18 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

vCash: 500
Which expo moment was the worse

Was it Blue Monday the sale of the club in 1980 something or the strike in 94

Old
09-29-2004, 10:32 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Blue Monday hurts, cause well I would love to of won. But you win some you lose some, thats sports. The strike is just gay and was the death of our team

Old
09-30-2004, 06:43 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Blue Monday is the moment that hurts the most.

Old
09-30-2004, 06:44 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Blue Monday hurts, cause well I would love to of won. But you win some you lose some, thats sports. The strike is just gay and was the death of our team
Crazy Nine, maybe it's me, I could be getting old and don't understand slang anymore. Gay meant happy at one point and then became a word to describe homosexuality. To the best of my knowledge it isn't considered derogatory as gay people use it, as have I in their company, and nobody punched me out. In that you call the stike of 94 gay,what has the word evolved to now ?

Old
09-30-2004, 07:04 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Crazy Nine, maybe it's me, I could be getting old and don't understand slang anymore. Gay meant happy at one point and then became a word to describe homosexuality. To the best of my knowledge it isn't considered derogatory as gay people use it, as have I in their company, and nobody punched me out. In that you call the stike of 94 gay,what has the word evolved to now ?
I dunno, but where and when I come from, it doesn't sound like an evolution at all... in the early 80's when "we was kids", gay was some amalgam like stupid/weird/just wrong/a big dumb joke/etc. You could say "The Toronto Maple Leafs are so gay". (And not just Wendel). You could say Duran Duran or Wham! are so gay. Whups. Okay, Michael Jackson. Whups. Well, you know. Gay worked pretty well as a lightly derogatory word that didn't necessarily have any connotations of homosexuality. Of course, you could call somebody a "homo" too, and mean pretty much the same thing. "Ronald Reagan is such a homo" didn't mean we thought he was any more or less gay than Boy George or George Michael.

If the kids are using it today, it's probably retro 80's.

Old
09-30-2004, 07:07 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Back on topic, though: Blue Monday may have been bad at the time, but... in the grand scheme, it might also be one of the highlights of Expodom. One of the pinnacles of almost-supreme-success. Like the Leafs and their glorious '93 trip to the semi-finals. The stuff of legends.

Old
09-30-2004, 07:13 AM
RLC

Blue monday may have been a realy bad day for the expos or the 1994 strike but the team could have made another run and kept going as a top contender but the sell -off or dismantling of the formation due to lack of money overall has to be the worse thing. When the selloff of players happened over and over the fans gaveup and started to stay away. The fans saw that the rich clubs had all the advantage, that the baseball league was tilted towards the big market clubs and that parity was impossible. I refute all aguements that MTL fans only back a winner. These are the same fans that filled the stadiums with good attendance for years waiting until the Expos had a good team. They also waited when the league was promissing to look at redistribution of market share but year after year this never happened and the MTL fans figured out that they as fans were being lied too, that the Expos had little or no chance to ever win it all unless MTL spent 100 million US to out bid NY or Boston or Atlanta for players. This game is fixed towards the big clubs and it is these clubs that every year refuse to have parity ( greedy ******** )
So take your fixed game and shove it when the sun don't shine.

Old
09-30-2004, 07:38 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Back on topic, though: Blue Monday may have been bad at the time, but... in the grand scheme, it might also be one of the highlights of Expodom. One of the pinnacles of almost-supreme-success. Like the Leafs and their glorious '93 trip to the semi-finals. The stuff of legends.
Blue Monday hurt at the time but you're right, we all felt it was a matter of time, we'd be back. The 82 all star game in Mtl. sort of celebrated the city and franchise as a premier team. It just never happened for whatever reason. When Rodney Scott was released and Bill Lee left the game in uniform and went to play pool and drink beer at that bar at Hochelaga and Lasalle sts., and subsequently was released and blackballed, the heart of that team got up and left. Thre were a lot of illegal substances around the team then, but hey, it was the early 80's, the teams that were winning were in the same situation.

Old
09-30-2004, 08:01 AM
scosar

Blue Monday was the culmination of my dying every year with the expos. In 79 we lost on the last weekend of the year to Willie (We are Family) Stargell and the Pirates who went on to win the World Series.

In 80 Mike Schmidt hit a home run on the second to last day of the year to beat us and the Phillies went on to win the World Series.

In 81 we only won the second half of the season. The expos never won a full years pennant. In fact the Phillies won the first half we won the second but the Cardinals had the best record over the whole year.

That was some Expos team in the late 70's early 80's. Drugs ruined the team especially Valentine who had an arm that would rival Vladdy's.

Old
09-30-2004, 09:31 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Blue Monday hurt at the time but you're right, we all felt it was a matter of time, we'd be back. The 82 all star game in Mtl. sort of celebrated the city and franchise as a premier team. It just never happened for whatever reason. When Rodney Scott was released and Bill Lee left the game in uniform and went to play pool and drink beer at that bar at Hochelaga and Lasalle sts., and subsequently was released and blackballed, the heart of that team got up and left. Thre were a lot of illegal substances around the team then, but hey, it was the early 80's, the teams that were winning were in the same situation.
You bet... I once saw a picture of the Pirates' "We are family" team, taken during the pre-game warmup, on the bench, showing Grant Jackson, John Candelaria and Dave Parker smoking a joint...

Old
09-30-2004, 09:32 AM
LePoche69

For me, the worst event was the '94 strike, since Blue Monday is a normal sport event.

Old
09-30-2004, 10:16 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Gay in my slang terms is how people looked at gay people back in the day, like disgusting, dirty, anoying... Like it has nothing to do with homo sexuals anymore when I use, but used as a word of dispointment really.

Old
09-30-2004, 03:43 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
the strike. Blue Monday would have been forgotten with the success the Expos would have had, I'm convinced.

Old
09-30-2004, 04:13 PM
LePoche69

I could add the trade that bring Jerry Willard to Montreal, a guy who was supposed to be our best lefty pinch hitter ever, which was important in all the significant ends of seasons the Expos had in the '80. He arrives very overweight and did something like 0 in 20...

...and what about the lack of a truly good left handed starting pitcher in 35 years? No joke! Try to name the best lefthanded starting pitcher in history and you'll discover that you'll have to name guys like Jeff Fassero!!! Of course we had Randy Johnson, but we trade him for Mark Langston, hoping to win the pennant, so he doesn't count.

Old
09-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Geez, that was a "Back to the Future" kind of moment.

Marty: "Wow, Doc, that's heavy!"
Doc: "Great Scott, Marty. Weight has nothing to do with it!"

Old
09-30-2004, 04:29 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY_NiNe
Gay in my slang terms is how people looked at gay people back in the day, like disgusting, dirty, anoying... Like it has nothing to do with homo sexuals anymore when I use, but used as a word of dispointment really.
I'm not going to tell you how to behave, because I don't even know you, but you really should try and remove bigotry from your slang.

Perhaps in your circles it's accepted that you are going to be bigoted toward homosexuals, but imgaine people around you over-hearing that and what kind of judgement they would make on you and how the reflects on you.

To get an idea of how offensive this is, substitute the word "Jewish" for "Gay" and ask yourself if you would use it.

Man, that strike in 1994 was so Jewish.

It really is offensive to pick a group of people and use a word that describes them as a synonom for "dissapointment."

I'm not even going to get into the fact that you think gay people were "disgusting, dirty and annoying back in the day."

Old
09-30-2004, 04:35 PM
Guy Caballero

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox
I'm not going to tell you how to behave, because I don't even know you, but you really should try and remove bigotry from your slang.

Perhaps in your circles it's accepted that you are going to be bigoted toward homosexuals, but imgaine people around you over-hearing that and what kind of judgement they would make on you and how the reflects on you.

To get an idea of how offensive this is, substitute the word "Jewish" for "Gay" and ask yourself if you would use it.

It really is offensive to pick a group of people and use a word that describes them as a synonom for "dissapointment."

I'm not even going to get into the fact that you think gay people were "disgusting, dirty and annoying back in the day."
Remember that the next time you use the word "gyp" in casual conversation, as in "That guy gypped me five bucks" or "What a gyp!"

"Rule of thumb" is also out, since it suggests you condone wife-beating.

Old
09-30-2004, 04:46 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Remember that the next time you use the word "gyp" in casual conversation, as in "That guy gypped me five bucks" or "What a gyp!"

"Rule of thumb" is also out, since it suggests you condone wife-beating.
I actually never thought of gyp[gypsies]. My Mother in Law used to use Jew as a verb [for attempting to lower a price]. I figured my kids should be allowed to learn their own prejudices so I remended her that her Scottish background, she was in no position to mention another races sense of thriftiness. I'm not too careful about a lot of that stuff, but just because something is deemed politically correct [and annoying] doesn't mean it's wrong. I would imagine that gays don't really enjoy being a bench mark for the negative. You know how it is, it depends what's behind the words.

Old
09-30-2004, 05:34 PM
tinyzombies

My god, you guys are too young. Blue Monday was awful.

Old
09-30-2004, 06:35 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
My god, you guys are too young. Blue Monday was awful.
Yes it was, I was young (around 14) and I did cry (no joke -- I love baseball and the expos), but still, it's a regular and normal sport event. The strike was a heartbreaker driving us real MAD. Damn, we were beating up the Braves!!! Loosing to the Dodgers was a heartbreaker driving us "amèrement déçu" (sorry, I can't translate that), which is less of a "worse" moment in a franchise history, IMO...

Old
10-01-2004, 12:10 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox

Ok you miss understood my post. I do not or ever have thought gay people were dirty and disgusting. I was merely stating a fact of in my young age of what I thought society thought of them. In all honesty I really think that society looked down upon homo sexual and they looked down on them as dirty. I could be wrong and if you want correct. In the word gay, I use it merely of how it is stereotyped. I have gay friends, one of my bosses is gay, and I really have no problem chillin with them or takin orders from them. In this day of political correctness, I find anything anyone says is scutinized. I am a fat jew, I say that about myself and people just on my back. Like look, I am like 260 pounds, played o-line, and if I am not fat, wtf am I horrizontaly gifted? Give me a break. I think by using the word gay in my dayly vocabulary doesn't look down upon them at all, since gay used to mean happy, then it was a word to make fun of homo sexuals. You can look at anyway you want, I don't make fun of people, I make fun of the stereotypes.(Because steretypes aren't true, so why take offence)

Oh and I do actually use the word jew and jewish in sentences, like my buddy and are shopping, and hes like "can I get a better deal" when the salesman walks away, I go to him "yo your sooooooo jewish" I make jokes based on stereotypes.

Old
10-01-2004, 06:39 AM
mcphee

Fair enough C-9, like I said, it's the intention behind the words. You can't be surprised though when people who don't know you get impressions from the words though.

Closed Thread