HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

B.J. Crombeen

Old
11-24-2011, 10:18 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

vCash: 500
B.J. Crombeen

Detroit fan coming in peace. What's the status of B.J. Crombeen? I know he got hurt during pre-season. Any updates?

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:30 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

There hasn't been any talk of Crombeen since the injury. I can't remember the ETA on him coming back.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:47 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Heard he's skating and shooting, but the timetable is still January.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Bruise Bros 2426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
There hasn't been any talk of Crombeen since the injury. I can't remember the ETA on him coming back.
Sucks. He's been my favorite Blue since they acquired him. Whose place do you think he takes when he gets back? Grachev?

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 11:16 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
Sucks. He's been my favorite Blue since they acquired him. Whose place do you think he takes when he gets back? Grachev?
It's a big assumption to say everyone will be healthy when Crombeen returns. But if we assume the team is healthy except for McDonald, then he's in a four-way fight for the 12th spot with Grachev, Reaves, and Porter. If McDonald's back, Crombeen doesn't have a regular spot unless he can unseat Nichol (probably putting Sobotka at center).

Honestly, Crombeen was really underwhelming last year and I think he needs to prove himself, bigtime. Making him a game-time decision depth player could be what it takes, but we'll see.

Old
11-25-2011, 12:15 AM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
It's a big assumption to say everyone will be healthy when Crombeen returns. But if we assume the team is healthy except for McDonald, then he's in a four-way fight for the 12th spot with Grachev, Reaves, and Porter. If McDonald's back, Crombeen doesn't have a regular spot unless he can unseat Nichol (probably putting Sobotka at center).

Honestly, Crombeen was really underwhelming last year and I think he needs to prove himself, bigtime. Making him a game-time decision depth player could be what it takes, but we'll see.
I would take Crombeen over Grachev, Reaves, and Porter any day of the week. IMO, his PK abilities alone(currently)put him far ahead of those three. I think Grachev could use some time in the minors to regain his confidence, and return to the player we saw in pre-season, and Reaves should still see a few games here and there when we need some extra grit. Crombeen and Nichol are on one-way contracts as well, which makes them much more likely to get the nod.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:08 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
I would take Crombeen over Grachev, Reaves, and Porter any day of the week. IMO, his PK abilities alone(currently)put him far ahead of those three. I think Grachev could use some time in the minors to regain his confidence, and return to the player we saw in pre-season, and Reaves should still see a few games here and there when we need some extra grit. Crombeen and Nichol are on one-way contracts as well, which makes them much more likely to get the nod.
The only one who is comparable is Porter. Reaves is hell on the forecheck because he uses his size and hits a ton. Crombeen, unfortunately, doesn't. Crombeen doesn't contribute to a puck-possession game like Grachev does, and cannot fill in on a scoring line. I can accept that Grachev would be better served with some time in the minors, but he's showed more determination than I've ever seen from Crombeen.

If the Blues were lacking PK forwards, I'm with you. If Crombeen starts hitting like he can, I'm with you. If Crombeen shows the finish he did when he first arrived with the Blues, I'm with you. But he has completely stagnated since his arrival. He's a borderline NHL player on a playoff team and the Blues have a lot of forward depth. So he either demands the team play him with his performance, or he goes somewhere else.

For the record, I like Crombeen a lot. He seems like a great teammate and his willingness to fight is admirable. But his performance needs to improve to keep a spot on the Blues now.

Old
11-25-2011, 04:03 AM
CCBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post

I completely, entirely agree with this. Crombeen was indeed underwhelming last year, and I'm really not anticipating his arrival. I love the team the way it is, and I wouldn't scratch Reaves or Grachev for him. He's a great PK'er, but even at times last year I'd see him way out of position or just make the wrong decision. I still remember his hat trick against Nashville though, good memory. Hopefully he's the 13th forward.

EDIT: Just checked out his stats from last year. I had no idea he was a -18. Yikes.

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 02:17 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
I want to see a few game stretch of Crombeen playing under Hitch's system before I write him off. I'm really starting to wonder if it wasn't something in Payne's scheme that made the usually super reliable McClement-Crombeen duo look like garbage last year. With Jackman and Polak looking much better under hitch I'd make a pretty strong bet that Crombeen will follow suit after a couple games to get back into the swing of things.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 07:52 PM
Dolph Ziggler
IC Champion

With the way the team has played overall since Hitch came here, I'm not sure I want to tamper with the lineup too much.

I don't think I'd put Crombeen in the lineup over Porter or Reaves at this point. With the logjam that will be created when B.J. gets back, I'd probably send Grachev down to get some solid minutes

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 08:47 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
With the way the team has played overall since Hitch came here, I'm not sure I want to tamper with the lineup too much.

I don't think I'd put Crombeen in the lineup over Porter or Reaves at this point. With the logjam that will be created when B.J. gets back, I'd probably send Grachev down to get some solid minutes
There's been some tampering since Hitch has gotten here. Stewart has been out. Porter's been in and out. Grachev has moved up and down. Colaiacovo got hurt. Sterling went in. Russel joined the team. It's worked out pretty well

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:02 PM
Bob Sacamanu

Remember when Crombeen was a guaranteed third liner for us? Now, he may not even have a spot on the team. I'm loving this depth.

Bob Sacamanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sacamanu View Post
Remember when Crombeen was a guaranteed third liner for us? Now, he may not even have a spot on the team. I'm loving this depth.
I think that Crombeen will return to the lineup over Porter and Reaves. And, depending upon injuries (or lack of), Grachev may be sent down (as he is not subject to waivers). But, I think a forward and defenceman and draft choice (or prospect) may be packaged to pick up a solid centre or LH first shift defenceman, some time before the deadline. That might clear some roster space.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2011, 01:25 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Porter (in Crombeen's same role) has played well enough to at least put the question in doubt.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 11:27 AM
stlweir

In reading grade the Blues it made me think where will Crombeen fit it when he's healthy. He is good on the PK but after a slow start the Blues PK has been good. Was Crombeen waived by Dallas when Hitchcock was coaching them?

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2011, 04:29 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
In reading grade the Blues it made me think where will Crombeen fit it when he's healthy. He is good on the PK but after a slow start the Blues PK has been good. Was Crombeen waived by Dallas when Hitchcock was coaching them?
BJ Crombeen was sixteen years old the last time Hitchcock coached a game for Dallas. So, no.

Old
12-26-2011, 11:40 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Crombeen back Dec 30 or 31? Very possibly.

Quote:
@lkorac10 Lou Korac
Asked B.J. Crombeen (shoulder) how close he is. His response: "Hopefully this weekend." #stlblues

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:17 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Porter (in Crombeen's same role) has played well enough to at least put the question in doubt.
This. Porter gets after players and is very physical. He tends to get a lot of hits in. Crombeen will fight, but isn't someone who throws the body around during games.

I haven't missed BJ and tend to think it may be time to go in a different direction.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:12 AM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
NO, he hasn't.
Porter is a solid 4th liner, but Crombeen is better.
Crombeen is bigger, better defensively, better offensively and is a legit middle-weight fighter.

The only thing Porter has on Crombeen is speed, and that is not enough to keep Crombeen out of the lineup.
When Crombeen is healthy enough to play, he will be back in the lineup. It might take McDonald and Sobotka getting healthy to knock all 3 of Reaves, Porter and Grachev out of the lineup; but there is no question what-so-ever that those 3 will be phased out of the lineup as we start getting healthy. The only question is which ones stay as our reserve guys.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:15 AM
execwrite

I like Porter and Reaves, but I'll take Crombeen over both of them.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:53 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I've never understood the love for Crombeen.

Murray put him in an important checking role and ever since then his importance to the team has been magnified. There's also this myth that he's a great penalty killer.

He's not.

Hitchcock has increased the responsibilities of guys like Steen, who was completely underutilized as a PKer in seasons past.

I'd take six guys over him when it comes to that element of special teams...I love seeing our more skilled guys killing penalties like Berglund.

Crombeen has a knack for being terribly undisciplined (anyone remember the end of the second period in Game 3 against Vancouver in '09 playoffs?)

In the end his best assets are his physicality and his ability to step up for his mates (even though he's a horrific fighter)

In other words, he's a dime a dozen player.

He will be fighting with numerous players for ice time and I could easily see him not making it past the trade deadline.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:18 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Let's assume Cracknell goes back to Peoria. When Sobotka and Crombeen get into the lineup this weekend the Blues will need to send one forward down. What will they do?

1. Backes
2. Oshie
3. Steen
4. Perron
5. Berglund
6. Stewart
7. Sobotka
8. Arnott
9. D'Agostini
10. Langenbrunner
11. Nichol
12. Reaves
13. Crombeen
14. Porter
15. Grachev

Grachev is the only one of those guys who is waiver-exempt, and while he's been great I think they're not going to risk losing anyone else on that list just to keep him with the big club. Reaves would get claimed, no doubt about it. Porter very well might as well, but when McDonald comes back at that point you have to make a decision between Porter and Crombeen IMO. Crombeen better come in full-speed and make the decision difficult.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Stang

He's baaaaaccckkkkkk

Kelly Chase
BJ Crombeen will be in the lineup tonight after suffering a broken shoulder in exhibition.Welcome back Beener the STL BLUES just got better
less than 1 minute ago from Twitter for Android

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
BluesRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
I've never understood the love for Crombeen.

Murray put him in an important checking role and ever since then his importance to the team has been magnified. There's also this myth that he's a great penalty killer.

He's not.

Hitchcock has increased the responsibilities of guys like Steen, who was completely underutilized as a PKer in seasons past.

I'd take six guys over him when it comes to that element of special teams...I love seeing our more skilled guys killing penalties like Berglund.

Crombeen has a knack for being terribly undisciplined (anyone remember the end of the second period in Game 3 against Vancouver in '09 playoffs?)

In the end his best assets are his physicality and his ability to step up for his mates (even though he's a horrific fighter)

In other words, he's a dime a dozen player.

He will be fighting with numerous players for ice time and I could easily see him not making it past the trade deadline.
IMO Crombeen's asset is his skating ability, which puts him in position to be physical and all that. On the flip side, his liability is his hockey sense, which does not fit well in a PK role.

BluesRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:49 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I doubt Porter would be claimed, but its probably Grachev that would go down.

The above descriptions of the 'good' Crombeen are the guy we saw two seasons ago. Last year he wasn't as good. I didn't see the same fire in him. Maybe there were nagging injuries, but I'm not aware of any.

If the same guy from last season shows up, I'm not convinced that Crombeen cracks the line-up. Porter has been successful at being part of the rapid shifts from defense to offense. Crombeen has a better shot, but that's not really why he's in there. Neither guy are going to be getting PP minutes.

I don't think either guy are the difference between winning a playoff series, but I really don't see Crombeen as head and shoulders above Porter.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote