vCash: 500
What an effing dirty play.

Dee Oh Cee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:39 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

On the bright side, it's going to be entertaining to see Russo flip his **** when he gets back from his mini vacation to see his crush taken out without so much of a comment from the league...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
"He turned his back to the forechecker"

He's clearly not turning "at the last second". He was facing the play. This isn't a guy turning to avoid a hit. He's going after the puck. AKA HOCKEY.

McLeod initiates contact at the goal line, 8-10 feet from the boards. Note Spurgeon has not turned at all.

"He caught an edge"

No, he didn't. He stopped. You see that white stuff coming off his skates? That's snow. That's what happens when you dig in to the ice.

"He was off balance"

Do you see his butt, how it's low, and his knees are bent? That's not off balance. That's a hockey stop.

Right there, you see how McLeod pushed Spurgeon so that he would go face first into the boards.

McLeod pushed him, 8-10 feet from the boards, and Spurgeon tried to stop. Instead McLeod shoved him into the boards, from behind, which he saw the whole way. He saw him clearly before either of them hit the goal line and he still went for the hit. He had the opportunity to not hit him, as evidenced by him reaching out to make the hit.

And that's what he did instead.

I'd give him 10 games, maybe 15. But I don't want to see dirty plays. Shanahan doesn't care. I bet he gets a $2500 fine. Because the NHL doesn't give two craps about player safety.

Look through all those pics again. Look at McLeod's head. He's not looking at the puck. He's trying to run Spurgeon into the boards. He had his mind made up before the goal line.

Look at Spurgeon's head. He's facing the puck the entire time. He's anticipating it going behind the net. He's not going in to get a puck that was dead along the boards.
This post is money.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:34 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
This post is money.
You should see the replies it garnered in the main board thread. Good god people are insane or trolling.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:13 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I'm always amused when threads start hemorraging posts like that one is right now.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Pretty much every other post is gone now. Thank God. What a mess. Apparently you can't have a rational argument without 20 crazies flying off the handle.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:30 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Open season on defensemen, time for us to join the party.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:31 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

vCash: 50
I take it the mainboard thread degenerated into a flame war or something?

Doesnt surprise me really.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:32 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

No matter how many people post, it won't stay 10 pages. I should stop watching and get back to work.

Old
12-27-2011, 01:35 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I take it the mainboard thread degenerated into a flame war or something?

Doesnt surprise me really.
Avs fans screaming bloody murder about how "if anyone gets suspended it better be Spurgeon" and clear denial about how "Spurgeon catches a rut in the ice and trips into the boards, McLeod doesn't even touch him and the same result would have happened if McLeod wasn't there."

The one guy threw out a statement which can only be interpreted as "Bertuzzi's hit and weak punishment means that Avs players are allowed to do this if they want to."

Old
12-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Is it October yet?

Glad I have yet to bother reading the whole thread then.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's just open trolling and flaming. The over dramatic stomping and screaming about how "15 games, no, let's just give him the death penalty".

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:32 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

The fact is that Shanahan has chosen to slap the Wild organization in the face again by not handing out any type of discipline. If he would have even levied a fine against McLeod he would have at least indicated that he was in the wrong. It's now open season on everyone in the league who dares to skate below the goal line. I just hope the Wild realize this and take advantage of the new rules.

Northland Wild Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:35 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Does anybody is really surprised that Shanahan explained the hit in Vancouver yesterday but didn't for this one?

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:09 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Avs fans screaming bloody murder about how "if anyone gets suspended it better be Spurgeon" and clear denial about how "Spurgeon catches a rut in the ice and trips into the boards, McLeod doesn't even touch him and the same result would have happened if McLeod wasn't there."

The one guy threw out a statement which can only be interpreted as "Bertuzzi's hit and weak punishment means that Avs players are allowed to do this if they want to."
Good thing there were only about 4 Avs fans posting in that entire thread....and not a single one of them were screaming bloody murder. Good grief some of you guys get your panties in a bunch over nothing.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:16 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
Good thing there were only about 4 Avs fans posting in that entire thread....and not a single one of them were screaming bloody murder. Good grief some of you guys get your panties in a bunch over nothing.
right on, man. someone has to patrol other teams' boards and let them know they're reacting inappropriately, amiright? And ****, why not an Avalanche fan? Everyone knows you guys are top notch impartial observers of the sport and never display bias when breaking down a play involving your team. Cody ****ing McLeod is a paragon of clean play, goddammit!

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:28 PM
NothingLikeAnEJ
Jimmies: Rustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
right on, man. someone has to patrol other teams' boards and let them know they're reacting inappropriately, amiright? And ****, why not an Avalanche fan? Everyone knows you guys are top notch impartial observers of the sport and never display bias when breaking down a play involving your team. Cody ****ing McLeod is a paragon of clean play, goddammit!
Did I claim it was a clean or dirty hit? I was just stating that it wasn't Avs fans that were saying all those things. Personally, I would have been fine with a 5-7 game suspension. It definitely wasn't a clean play, but it wasn't nearly as dirty as some of the guys in that thread were making it seem like.

The Avs had Wilson go out with a concussion on a similar play after getting hit by Lapierre and it was not looked at by the league either.

NothingLikeAnEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:38 PM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
Did I claim it was a clean or dirty hit? I was just stating that it wasn't Avs fans that were saying all those things. Personally, I would have been fine with a 5-7 game suspension. It definitely wasn't a clean play, but it wasn't nearly as dirty as some of the guys in that thread were making it seem like.

The Avs had Wilson go out with a concussion on a similar play after getting hit by Lapierre and it was not looked at by the league either.
I understand where you're coming from in the first place, but it's the same thing with your fanbase.

When Avs fans started posting around page three, a lot of the posts started with "lol at Wild fans calling for 10+ games" or "Wild fans have no reason to be mad", or something along the lines.

But up until that point(and through the rest of the thread, from what I've read), no Wild fan called for more than 8 games, max. Those calling for 10-15 games were neutral fans, or at least people who have no outward claims to either team.

You can't call out us Wild fans for overreacting when Avs fans did the exact same thing in the exact same thread.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:56 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i'm fairly certain I didn't even call for a suspension. I said it was a stupid play on McLeods part, and it was. Even if you don't believe it should have been a penalty you have to admit it was stupid: everyone knows the refs are going to call a penalty just to be on the safe side when you hit someone from behind into the boards from that distance. Stupid. Also stupid in that you know the guy is probably not going to land well but you don't try to avoid contact (this is "at best", leaving aside whether you believe he actually forced him into the boards or just sort of ran through him). Stupid. McLeod is a ****ing idiot any way you slice it.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:19 PM
SwimToTheMoon
Wild fan in WPG

Open Season! Crush a guy from behind into the boards but heaven forbid your stick gets slashed into someones face.

SwimToTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote