HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#35|Dec. 27, 2011|Flyers at Lightning |7:30 p.m. ET

Old
12-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Bryz is one of the better goalies in the league when he is playing in a good system that doesn't only thrive on offensive pressure. It seems like when he gives up a goals he loses his confidence and it goes into the next game.

What we need is a better system and I am sure Bryz will return to top form. Or they just need to really tighten up in this system (which they haven't since it has been here)
What do you mean better system? Fire Lavi?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:40 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Bryz is one of the better goalies in the league when he is playing in a good system that doesn't only thrive on offensive pressure. It seems like when he gives up a goals he loses his confidence and it goes into the next game.

What we need is a better system and I am sure Bryz will return to top form. Or they just need to really tighten up in this system (which they haven't since it has been here)
the goals Bryzgalov allowed last night had nothing to do with Laviolette's system

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:43 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroglycerin View Post
What do you mean better system? Fire Lavi?
I been on him for awhile now. It is a great offensive system for sure, but they need to figure something out. Sure they look great at times, but when they play a team like Boston in the playoffs it doesn't even look like they stand a chance. They either need to tighten it up defensively or something will have to change.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 12:45 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
the goals Bryzgalov allowed last night had nothing to do with Laviolette's system
People standing alone in front of the net all season has something to do with the system though. There is a reason the Flyers have been getting rid of all these players lately and it is because they didn't buy into the system. They were trying to improve the team chemistry and so far this season it has worked, but come playoff time they really need to pick up their defensive play in front of the net.

Old
12-28-2011, 01:03 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
People standing alone in front of the net all season has something to do with the system though. There is a reason the Flyers have been getting rid of all these players lately and it is because they didn't buy into the system. They were trying to improve the team chemistry and so far this season it has worked, but come playoff time they really need to pick up their defensive play in front of the net.
lets not act like nothing is the guys fault like some people around here. Bryzgalov hasnt been good enough. He is 41st out of 45 in save %. 34th out of 45 in GAA. You cannot pin all that on the team in front of him.
The guy is consitered a top notch goalie. He needs to start showing why he was brought here. I didnt expect him to be Tim Thomas or Lundqvist. I did expect him to be much better then he has been this season. you cant blame fans for being ticked off. He was brought here to shore up the goaltending position. A position that has killed us in the playoffs. What have we got so far? Leighton or Boucher type numbers.
good for him that everyone thinks hes a comedy act on HBO. Just stop the puck. thats all I want.

Old
12-28-2011, 01:18 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
Some of the goals, such as people being allowed to stand alone, I think we all understand.

But nobody in his right mind, that has watched games, would say that bryz has played well enough for his contract, not even close. He has let 1-2 soft momentum killing goals in quite often.

It isn't all the system, plenty of the blame is on bryz, and he knows it.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 01:23 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I been on him for awhile now. It is a great offensive system for sure, but they need to figure something out. Sure they look great at times, but when they play a team like Boston in the playoffs it doesn't even look like they stand a chance. They either need to tighten it up defensively or something will have to change.
Look, Boston is top 5 team in the league. You did not expect to win against Boston without Pronger, Giroux and JVR (playing with one hip), 6 rookies and Shelley. Did you want Lavi to come up with a plan against Boston with that roster?

Old
12-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Icedog2735

Quote:
I personally don't think that laziness in the defensive end of the rink, coupled with tons upon tons of backhand clearing attempts that fail and clearing attempts that are weak, no-look, shots around the boards are part of a faulty system. Every time we are pinned in our zone for longer than 20 seconds it seems like we yield a goal. Add in poor goaltending that can't get us a quality save or a faceoff so the team can regroup for a second and that's why we are getting beaten by the better teams.

Icedog2735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:35 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Look, Boston is top 5 team in the league. You did not expect to win against Boston without Pronger, Giroux and JVR (playing with one hip), 6 rookies and Shelley. Did you want Lavi to come up with a plan against Boston with that roster?
Then it's time for Plan B. Since you'll be marching into the playoffs with the goalies you have, better start looking for solid defensemen to clear out the traffic and make their lives easier. I'd be curious what Philly would give for the human wall, Hal Gill.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 02:38 PM
flyersfan187

Quote:
I was more on the lines of talking about Boston last year in the playoffs when they destroyed us. And Bryz hasn't been worth his contract this year either. He was brought in because we have an offensive system and an elite goalie is a must in this system, which he has not been.

Old
12-28-2011, 02:41 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
I was more on the lines of talking about Boston last year in the playoffs when they destroyed us. And Bryz hasn't been worth his contract this year either. He was brought in because we have an offensive system and an elite goalie is a must in this system, which he has not been.
You wanted to fire Lavi because we had Leighton, Boucher and rookie Bobrovsky in the net against Boston in playoffs in 2011 playoffs? What could Lavi do? I mean, he did changed goalies and they all sucked. What else did you want him to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Then it's time for Plan B. Since you'll be marching into the playoffs with the goalies you have, better start looking for solid defensemen to clear out the traffic and make their lives easier. I'd be curious what Philly would give for the human wall, Hal Gill.
4th round pick for 36 year old.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 12-28-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old
12-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Again, I'll respond to the "it isn't his fault" argument with: bryz was brought here to be an elite goalie. Not for us to be trying to figure out whether it was "his fault" after every game.

He's been far from good enough. Infact he's been a lot closer to awful.

The way this team is constructed, this level of play is unacceptable if the cup is the goal
That wasn't exactly an "it isn't his fault" comment I stated that he needed to be much better. However, blaming only him is ignorant. The level of play of the team defense, and not just the goaltending, is unacceptable if the cup is the goal.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:38 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Homer says bob in net in pitts and if he stops the bleeding he may go agianst the rangers as well..........

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Homer says bob in net in pitts and if he stops the bleeding he may go agianst the rangers as well..........
As it should be. Nothing would be a more jolting wakeup call for our $51-million-goalie-turned-reality-TV-star. I wonder how much Bryz spent on his Winter Classic mask....

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Slowbro

so pretty much as long as we dont play the jets, lightning or rangers in the playoffs we should be ok?

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:56 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
That wasn't exactly an "it isn't his fault" comment I stated that he needed to be much better. However, blaming only him is ignorant. The level of play of the team defense, and not just the goaltending, is unacceptable if the cup is the goal.
If anyone actually thought this team was a legitimate Cup threat going into the season then I'd have to laugh at them.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:17 PM
CavemanLawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
As it should be. Nothing would be a more jolting wakeup call for our $51-million-goalie-turned-reality-TV-star. I wonder how much Bryz spent on his Winter Classic mask....
Same thing i was thinking during the game. "Most expensive coolest mask in the world isn't gonna mean **** when you're not even starting the Winter Classic Bryz" - is pretty much what was going through my mind the entire game.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAUCE View Post
so pretty much as long as we dont play the jets, lightning or rangers in the playoffs we should be ok?
Bruins, too.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:18 PM
Slowbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Bruins, too.
ah yes. how could i forget.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Where'd you read that?

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:00 PM
SgtJoseph

I think some of you folks need to relax a little and chill out for awhile,I look at it all like this. Even having played poorly at times in goal and on defense, and have had nights like last night with more shots on goal and only one goal to show for it, and the many crazy games of bad bounces, ricochets, top players injured etc......Our club has been or is near the top of the East all season.Things will work out as we go along, its all just part of the Ebbs and flows of a long NHL season.....Look at the 1st period last night ? It looked like a 20 minute power play the way we dominated in their zone, and only got 1 goal to show for it....Other nights we might get 4 goals out of that deal..Bryz has certainly struggled, as has our Defense etc...Things will shake out in the long run, Bob might get hot, Read might bury a few, Jags might get a hattie, Roo might realize he needs to shoot more instead of trying to get too cute with the puck etc.....I am not even remotely ready to throw this club out with the bath water......This team has SERIOUS game when things are clicking, its just a matter of a few breaks and a few players getting hot and they will be rolling again..

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 07:29 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I think everyone is on the same page here. Not all of the goals last night were on Bryz. That said, he definitely isn't helping the team out there at all.

Example: On the deflected Downie goal, it was an awful bounce that contributed to the goal, but that doesn't change the fact that Bryzgalov off was brutally out of position and couldn't even attempt the acrobatic, potentially game-changing save that other top goaltenders will sometimes make. Furthermore, one of Stamkos's goals last night came off a terrible rebound.

The defense has lapses that cost us huge last night and recently, but a top tier goaltender has to bail out his defenders on occasion just as the defenders have to bail out a goalie on occasion.
I'd concur with most of that.

Except for the same page thing - some here blamed Bryz for the Stamkos PP goal, after all.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAUCE View Post
you forgot Bruins.

/UGH

doh little late to the party i see.. hahh

Flyerfan4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 09:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

oh i forgot. Bryzgalov has yet to give up a goal that was his fault.
too bad Mike Richards and Jeff Carter are no longer around to blame for the losing.

Old
12-29-2011, 06:49 AM
Xegiie

im sorry but you all are pissing me off how you overlook defence, simply leaving 5meters around a top scorer in front of the net is unforgivable. No matter what situation there should be someone, and i still get picture of Lilja backskating while not defending anyone and leaving Stamkos free to play... nobody even mentioned him, yet all blame comes to Bryz because of his contract..
Sure he wasnt really good yet, i said this myself few times, BUT you can NOT expect any decent numbers with such BAD defensive play we have atm.

and i agree with SgtJoseph's last post

PS:and for some ppl here.. im czech i dont really like russians, yet im defending Bryz becuase he doesn't deserve such bashing

Xegiie is offline   Reply With Quote