HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps? Tonic.

Old
12-27-2011, 03:26 AM
dire wolf
be cool

vCash: 500
Good:

4 goals in the first
Regehr - solid & dealing out the heavy hit
McNasty with his 1st goal
Boyes looked great for his first game back. Picked up right where he left off before the injury.
Stafford playing a strong game.
Hecht looked good.
Passing was crisp in all zones.
Miller looked good. I liked him freezing the puck.
Leo and Sekera were quietly solid. Weber made some nice plays and only a few relatively minor gaffes.
Vanek not looking hurt.
Movement on the PP was good.
Kassian is going to be a beast.
One of Ellis's best games ever. He was really strong with the puck.
Kaleta blocking shots.

Bad:
Not much. I'll leave it at that.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:12 AM
HiddenInLight

Good:
First period
Regehrs hit on ovechkin
Leo played a good game.
Boyes
Weber had a great hit in the second

Bad:
Should have been 9

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:52 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Stafford missed a bit of time at the start of the second. It's why Kassian got a little PP time/Boyes got shifted up to the first unit for a little bit.

And I don't see what Hecht brings that Stoll/Nielsen wouldn't with more consistency and being better at faceoffs. Jochen's gotta be healthy for a playoff series before I'd throw another year at him, much less several.
I agree that Jochen's strengths aren't unique, but bird in hand and all that. And yes, health is the number one issue with him.

The only advantage Hecht might have is cost, but that depends on what kind of hometown discount he gives the Sabres. It would probably have to be under 2M (which is not going to happen for Stoll and Nielsen I'm not really sure, he's definitely in line for a raise).

Ultimately though, Nielsen + Hecht together would be nice. It doesn't necessarily have to be one or the other.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:33 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Stafford missed a bit of time at the start of the second. It's why Kassian got a little PP time/Boyes got shifted up to the first unit for a little bit.

And I don't see what Hecht brings that Stoll/Nielsen wouldn't with more consistency and being better at faceoffs. Jochen's gotta be healthy for a playoff series before I'd throw another year at him, much less several.
Hecht has a lot more finish than Nielsen and plays slightly better defensive and much better responsible and half-wall hockey than Stoll. Not to say I wouldn't rather have Stoll centering a scoring line than Hecht, but I don't think the difference is all that big sans Jochen's injury history. I know everyone around here is obsessed with "gritty" players like Stoll, but we have plenty of guys on this roster now who can take the body.

IMO Hecht gets the Fedorov/Teemu/Grier treatment and just keeps re-upping for 1 year at depressed salaries until his bodily finally Broches for good.

And I don't think having Hecht on a lower-salary one-year deal precludes them from bringing in a Stoll or a Nielsen either.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 11:47 AM
gallagt01

If Goose re-signs, Hecht won't be here next year. If Goose doesn't re-sign, Hecht will be here.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:11 PM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 50
The "lol" -

TBN specifically using "tonic" in their game report. Hi guys!

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZackKassian View Post
The "lol" -

TBN specifically using "tonic" in their game report. Hi guys!
No wonder they're so angry all the time.

12-27-2011, 12:55 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
If Goose re-signs, Hecht won't be here next year. If Goose doesn't re-sign, Hecht will be here.
Neither should be here next year IMO. Time to start moving on from some of these guys. Jochen is getting up there in age, and while a 1-2 year cheap deal would be fine...if he's here, Ruff will force him into the top 6 no matter if he can't handle it anymore or not.

It's time to start working the kids in.

sba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Hecht will be here. He'll take a 1-year deal with a low salary and go year-to-year, similar to Grier's deal. He's a glue guy and you need guys like that on any contending team. If he wants more term or money, fine, let him walk. But I don't think that's going to happen, frankly. Jochen isn't that type of guy.

Goose..... Depends on the money. He's a GREAT 4th line center but you just can't pay those guys too much money.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:23 PM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
If the Sabres keep Goose and let Hecht go I might just burn down the FNC.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:35 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
Well, as bad as things have been, we can always comfort ourselves that the things in Washington are much worse.
Precisely why I won't let myself get too excited about this win. Yes, we'll take it, of course. But damn, the Caps are a team in total free fall. And I though we excelled at playing uninspired hockey...

I guess firing your coach doesn't always fix the problem on the ice.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Neither should be here next year IMO. Time to start moving on from some of these guys. Jochen is getting up there in age, and while a 1-2 year cheap deal would be fine...if he's here, Ruff will force him into the top 6 no matter if he can't handle it anymore or not.
Hecht started 09-10 on the 3rd line.

The first two lines sucked. Hecht moved up there and ended up with 22 goals and a key guy on the best PK in the league.

Honestly, I think Ruff, at this point, would prefer Hecht in more of a checking role.
It's not his fault the top two lines have always seemed to function better with Hecht there, be it with Briere, Dumont, Pommer, Connolly or Vanek.

Assuming the Sabres have the top-6 sorted out next season, I expect Hecht back on a cheap deal and he should be on the bottom-6 and the PK.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:06 PM
gallagt01

Quote:

This is where I'm at. The only issue with it is lack of organizational center depth. You're letting two centers go without bringing in another.

I'm starting to wonder if management has a plan to alleviate the wing depth we do have.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Haven't won 2 in a row since early NOV so I'm gonna hold off on all the praise this team and it's player do NOT deserve.They've been pathetic all year sans the first couple game, not going to get excited over beating an even more pathetic team.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:50 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:

But, you need to take apart a few of the kids to make the Mr. Potatohead that is Hecht. There's no single person to take Hecht's role and skills. Kassian can control and protect the puck below the faceoff dots; also Stafford when he wants to. Ellis can shadow and cancel an opponent, but can't skate with top-flight talent.

Honestly, as overpaid, slow, and replaceable as Gaustad is, Adam can't replace his PK skills, nor his faceoff %.

Right now, I'd prefer Hecht back. I understand if none, one, or both are back.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote