HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF New Organizational Rankings... Buffalo 14th

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
HF New Organizational Rankings... Buffalo 14th

Hockey's Future Fall 2004 Organizational Rankings (11-20)

Quote:
14. Buffalo Sabres (7)
Strengths: Buffalo’s main strength is up front with 14 of its top 20 prospects being forwards. Most prominent amongst these are potential top six candidates Thomas Vanek, Jason Pominville, Derek Roy, Drew Stafford and Daniel Paille. Buffalo also has a few players who could develop into solid third liners. They still have one of the top goaltending prospects outside of the NHL in Ryan Miller.
Weaknesses: The Sabres future blueline is dreadfully thin. Andrej Sekera, a two-way defenseman, is the most promising, with players like Michael Funk, Denis Denisov and Denis Ezhov likely to be career minor leaguers with occasional time on a third pairing in the NHL. Buffalo also lacks depth in goal with none besides Miller in its Top 20 prospects.
Top Prospects: Thomas Vanek (F), Ryan Miller (G), Derek Roy (F), Jason Pominville (F) and Drew Stafford (F).
Not Eligible: Taylor Pyatt and Jeff Jillson due to career NHL games played.

09-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Moskau

There was too much of an emphasis on Defense and Prospects from this years draft (which was weak according to the same people who ranked them).

I knew we would fall though.

Old
09-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau
There was too much of an emphasis on Defense and Prospects from this years draft (which was weak according to the same people who ranked them).

I knew we would fall though.
They seem tissue paper thin on the blueline which hurts their ranking overall and I wouldn't be surprised if the vocal dissatisfaction of some posters around the Funk and Stafford picks takes some of the bloom off the proverbial rose around this past draft as well. Opinion type pieces always bring out everyone's competitive nature (or cynacism). I thought they did a pretty good job overall.

Old
09-30-2004, 02:36 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
They seem tissue paper thin on the blueline which hurts their ranking overall and I wouldn't be surprised if the vocal dissatisfaction of some posters around the Funk and Stafford picks takes some of the bloom off the proverbial rose around this past draft as well. Opinion type pieces always bring out everyone's competitive nature (or cynacism). I thought they did a pretty good job overall.
I thought they were pretty good as well, with the exception of maybe Minn. and Chicago.

I think we'll go up next ranking if Stafford has a breakout year and if MacArthur continues to perform. I do think they underrated Thorburn though... I said in another post he could be as good as Paille when it's all said and done.

Old
09-30-2004, 06:38 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

Quote:
with players like Michael Funk, Denis Denisov and Denis Ezhov likely to be career minor leaguers with occasional time on a third pairing in the NHL.
this seems to be a real snap judgment on michael funk
i'm pretty surprised HF would doom a 2nd round pick to a minor league career 3 months after he's drafted

Old
09-30-2004, 09:25 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres
this seems to be a real snap judgment on michael funk
i'm pretty surprised HF would doom a 2nd round pick to a minor league career 3 months after he's drafted

No kidding, most other 2nd rounders from last year are already worth 1sts around here.

Old
10-01-2004, 08:24 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon
No kidding, most other 2nd rounders from last year are already worth 1sts around here.
How true. Some thirds even.

**Unabashed plug for Kris ahead, the squimish should take cover**

I love that we have a level-headed and fairly non-biased writer. And I have no problem with dealing with the Sabres prospects in both their strengths AND their weaknesses. If it "hurts" the Sabre ranking, meh, I'd rather deal with these guys from a more realistic point of view and THEN be surprised if they breakout in a big way when they hit the NHL. It certainly beats being all agog about a junior/minor/European league player who falls flat on his face when he hits the NA pro ranks.

Old
10-01-2004, 08:47 AM
cybresabre
Zemgus!

vCash: 723
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
It certainly beats being all agog about a junior/minor/European league player who falls flat on his face when he hits the NA pro ranks.
thank god all of our prospects are too good to do that.

Old
10-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre
thank god all of our prospects are too good to do that.
I think we have lower expectations. Years of Luce can do that to you.

Old
10-01-2004, 12:45 PM
cybresabre
Zemgus!

vCash: 723
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
I think we have lower expectations. Years of Luce can do that to you.
he can do a lot of things to a person.
hypothetically... where might i send my prozac bill to, the arena? accounting department?

Old
10-02-2004, 12:17 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Personally I'd rate our forward prospects top 3 in the league, but Miller's stock dropped and we don't have anyone behind him, so that puts us around 8-12th as far as goalies, IMO...and then the defense... well, probably around 25th or so...so it sort of all cancels eachother out.

Closed Thread