HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Can This Hamrlik Experiment End.

Old
01-14-2012, 08:53 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
I don't think the hammer is for sale right now.

Loved how he popped Malone during the scrum last night.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2012, 11:55 PM
IafrateOvie34

vCash: 500
Hamrlik has actually played good lately. Him and Kundratek have been pretty decent the last two games as a defensive pair.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 07:59 AM
Capsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Hamrlik for a 2nd, expand the package for Bolland.
What are people's take on Kundratek so far. Not half bad, IMO. Looks like he could be a decent bottom pair d-man down the road. One thing is for certain, I think we came out ahead in the trade.

Capsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:10 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
What are people's take on Kundratek so far. Not half bad, IMO. Looks like he could be a decent bottom pair d-man down the road. One thing is for certain, I think we came out ahead in the trade.
My though is he is much better than Collins. He hasn't done anything bad.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:12 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsman View Post
i think he has been decent in very managed minutes. v tampa bay he only played 7:25 while hamrlik played 18:25 just at even strenth. looked to me like the caps were playing 5 d with the occasional shift for 36 with hamrlik.

he's got a ways to go.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2012, 08:53 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think he has been decent in very managed minutes. v tampa bay he only played 7:25 while hamrlik played 18:25 just at even strenth. looked to me like the caps were playing 5 d with the occasional shift for 36 with hamrlik.

he's got a ways to go.
Decent way to protect him being that he is 21 and not a JC. They can get away with that as there haven't been back to back games with him in the lineup yet. Nice mobility /speed the kid has though.

01-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

The switch to man-on-man has been good for him: he's a +9 in 22 games under Hunter.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 05:07 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Some imply he was just injured. As bad as his skating had been perhaps its true. But if he was injured, he seemed to get healthy the day dale came on board.

Old
01-26-2012, 06:44 PM
NeilYoung

Hopefully if Green ever comes back they can try Hammer with him. Hamrlik basically got Phaneuf a Norris Nominee and got no credit for it

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Some imply he was just injured. As bad as his skating had been perhaps its true. But if he was injured, he seemed to get healthy the day dale came on board.
He did take a couple of games off, reportedly for an injury, right after Hunter took over. I doubt that was the main problem though.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:35 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
He did take a couple of games off, reportedly for an injury, right after Hunter took over. I doubt that was the main problem though.
I have this weird, completely unfounded, suspicion that Hunter just told Hamrlik and Semin to take two games off to just clear their heads and restart their (******) seasons after he took over.

I still hope Roman can put up a solid season, he just joined a team in turmoil at the start of this year.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:38 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
I have this weird, completely unfounded, suspicion that Hunter just told Hamrlik and Semin to take two games off to just clear their heads and restart their (******) seasons after he took over.
That's definitely what I thought at the time. I still think that was the case with Semin, but I'm leaning towards Hamrlik having had an actual injury. I forget why.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2012, 08:43 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
Hopefully if Green ever comes back they can try Hammer with him. Hamrlik basically got Phaneuf a Norris Nominee and got no credit for it
I didnt know that. But I do know that pairings get far too little scrutiny. Discussions are almost always about the individual. But the dmen work in pairs, some compliment some clash, some drag, some schlep. But when one pair does well, its not easy to differentiate just who carried who.

Prime example of course Jeff Schultz who can largely thank Green and his monster offensive year for that fat contract he landed. Its GM's job to see through the smoke and mirrors and he may have missed that one, still glowing over his own pick. I think he has stopped patting himself on the back.

Green has had some fine potential partners here, but they rarely got the chances because of... Sarge mostly. We had to have him with a fast guy. We could never have our best LD and RD together. It was tough to watch 3 meh pairs and never a great all situation pair.

Poti, Hannan, Alzner, Hammer... I think would all be great partners for Green. Yet I am not sure Green has gotten 50 games combined with those 4. Maybe Green should have won that Norris after all.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 01-26-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old
01-26-2012, 08:44 PM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
That's definitely what I thought at the time. I still think that was the case with Semin, but I'm leaning towards Hamrlik having had an actual injury. I forget why.
He's old and he was playing like dog****?

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:12 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Hunter said Hamrlik was injured. Hamrlik said Hamrlik was injured. My own thoughts are he was trying to play with an injury. The what's, where's and when's of injury are unknown. He was sent into the boards against NYI. He did get up slowly. He blocks a ton of shots. He left a game early not too long before he called it quits for four games.

He's in the top 15 of games played ever for d-men. I think you get there by playing through aches, pains and injuries. IMO there was something bothering him too much and he realized he was hurting his team more than helping. Taking four games to get well was the best thing for everyone concerned.

He quietly was 2nd star against Boston. He's "babysat" Orlov. He's "babysat" Kundratek. He blocks shots. He's contributing more offensively. IMO he's now doing all the things that GMGM expected him to do when he was signed. Now I'm just hoping he can get John Carlson squared away. And when (no ifs) Green comes back healty and with the emergence of Orlov the D as a unit could be a very good one.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:36 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Thanks Swim

Why have all the people been bashing Hammer and George when all indicators point to him simply playing injured?

Rolling back this beaut, I think I was THE only one that said he will get sorted out here.

But I didn't think it was injuries, I thought it was just Hannan Syndrome. Relearning a defense so complex, having to be scratched for their first game to watch how to play defense. I had never seen that before. It set the bar for vet DD's coming in here; expect struggles.

Old
01-27-2012, 11:56 AM
txpd

rh, if you want to give dale and jj the credit for the hamrlik returning to form, thats all right with me. the reason that hamrlik was taking such a beating was that he was as slow and maneuvorable as a tug boat. many that complained said he was over the hill.

i think hunter has had a real effect on alex semin. i give credit where its due. where hamrlik is concerned i give him credit for using hamrlik the right way. but i also think he was injured? reason? hamrlik sat out when hunter and jj were putting in the man to man defense. if hammer were injured in a way that effected his mobility, it makes perfect sense that they either told him to sit or he injured himself further trying to keep up in that system.

in short, hamrlik being injured is not code for dale can't coach. you can both give dale cred for coaching the defense and 44 in particular AND realize he is skating better because he was injured before.

Old
01-27-2012, 03:47 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Really, it can be both?

Old
01-27-2012, 03:59 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Thanks Swim

Why have all the people been bashing Hammer and George when all indicators point to him simply playing injured?

Rolling back this beaut, I think I was THE only one that said he will get sorted out here.

But I didn't think it was injuries, I thought it was just Hannan Syndrome. Relearning a defense so complex, having to be scratched for their first game to watch how to play defense. I had never seen that before. It set the bar for vet DD's coming in here; expect struggles.
If I recall correctly his first missed game coincided with a comment he made about hitting or not hitting Crosby. The media conjured that up in their minds that he was scratched for that comment and therefore had a lot of people anxious to jump on that bashing bandwagon which they did. When the dust settled Hamrlik WAS injured and not a healthy scratch. Crosby WAS re-injured by his OWN teammate. Hamr was expressing about the same thing as Wideman and Alzner but he speaks Czech. English can be misinterpreted between two English speaking folks so I figure a guy speaking a different tongue has an even greater chance of someone misconstruing what's said in English because he's maybe not sure what he said himself to begin with. LOL

Having said that I think his woes were due to unfamiliarity and his own injury(s). I thought he was coming into his own right before Green got injured. Shortly after that was the NYI game and a new D partner. He was taking a lot of penalties. Obviously man to man is what he's used to but I think he was fighting something injury wise too.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:00 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Oh yeah - good memory recall. I totally forgot the heat he took for saying he wouldnt hit the golden boy. Truth be told, few ever hit Gretzky, but didn't have the balls to admit it publicly. Long live Neil Sheehy. I wasn't thrilled when Hammer said it, then realized, he may be the only honest person on the team, saying whatever it was he said. There is so little hitting any way. As Benny Hill would say. Big. Deal.

It wouldn't surprise me if a memo came out saying to not hit him. Yes it's that bad playing favorites. Some sports protect their stars, starting with American Football and our precious QB's. NHL may need to do something. Suspending Ovi around the All Star game? Stupid, horrible short sighted marketing. It was easy to predict he would skip it.

Old
01-28-2012, 07:56 AM
txpd

Quote:
It wouldn't surprise me if a memo came out saying to not hit him. Yes it's that bad playing favorites. Some sports protect their stars.
do you actually believe this stuff?

Last edited by txpd: 01-28-2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old
01-28-2012, 12:13 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
do you actually believe this stuff?
You don't seem to be able to handle the things I merely speculate on. And turn a blind eye to the obvious efforts of the NHL to make him the face of the league.

Is hockey an entertainment business - or is it a sport? To me, profits are bottom line. The players all work for the same entity, with revenue sharing IIRC. They are on the same team. Who have the powers that be think deem the marketable face of the league? You imply you know what is said and done behind closed doors.

I merely speculate, and have learned to keep an open mind when money is involved. Follow the money.

Do you believe that QB's in football receive preferential treatment? I have seen it plain as day, one top notch high paid widely respected QB gets hit on a scramble - penalty. A young mobile QB that runs a lot gets hit just as violently, or blatantly out of bounds. No penalty. In fact I have witnessed it for years. Do you think the players are never counseled to not knock out the face of the game?

Air Jordan never getting called for traveling - or fouling Calbert Chaney on a 3 to shoot down the bullets playoff aspirations?

What is your proof to disprove my speculation that stars get preferential treatment in sports.

Old
01-28-2012, 01:11 PM
txpd

you are asking me to prove a negative? I have to admit that I've never considered that Gary Bettman had his own black helocpoters.

Old
01-28-2012, 03:06 PM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Why are you trying to hijack the hammer thread?

Old
01-28-2012, 03:10 PM
txpd

no, col. jessup. i should know better