HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Leino, Gerbe, Myers, Tropp and Ennis return, who is gonna play?

Old
12-27-2011, 12:03 AM
Luceni

vCash: 500
If Leino, Gerbe, Myers, Tropp and Ennis return, who is gonna play?

So how would your libeup look like, if all bodies are available?

Well I would go with this Roster:

Vanek - Ennis - Pommineville* (Pomineville taking the most faceoffs)
Boyes - Roy - Stafford
Leino - Adam - Kassian
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta
Hecht, McCormick, Ellis

Rgehr - Sekera
Ehrhoff - Weber
Leopold - Myers
Grags

McNabb, Tropp Ellis, Stuart all heading back to Rochester.

What to yo think of that Roster?
What do you think of my first line idea? I really hate it sending guys like Tropp or mcnabb back but there are no room for them at the moment unless we unload some of or overpaid wingers for a urugently needed center (Stoll, Brassard, Nielsen). But the past showed that Darcy won't change the roster during regurlar season.

My dream deal would be Stafford and a second rounder for Brassard and a first round pick....

Oh and btw. here is What Lindy will do:

Vanek - Hecht - Pomineville
Leino - Roy - Stafford
Ennis - Adam - Boyes
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta

Regehr - Myers
Leopold - Erhoff
Sekera - Grags

So discuss....
What are your lines? What would you do?

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:06 AM
McTank

Your lines would be good if ennis played center.....

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:09 AM
McTank

And I would do
Vanek-Adam-pommers
Ennis-Roy-stafford
Hecht-leino-Boyes
Gerbe-goose-Kaleta

Myers-Regher
Sekera-Ehrhoff
Mcnabb-leopold

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:32 AM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
So how would your libeup look like, if all bodies are available?

Boyes - Roy - Stafford
Leino - Adam - Kassian
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta
Hecht, McCormick, Ellis

Rgehr - Sekera
Ehrhoff - Weber
Leopold - Myers
Grags

McNabb, Tropp Ellis, Stuart all heading back to Rochester.

What to yo think of that Roster?
What do you think of my first line idea? I really hate it sending guys like Tropp or mcnabb back but there are no room for them at the moment unless we unload some of or overpaid wingers for a urugently needed center (Stoll, Brassard, Nielsen). But the past showed that Darcy won't change the roster during regurlar season.

My dream deal would be Stafford and a second rounder for Brassard and a first round pick....

Oh and btw. here is What Lindy will do:

Vanek - Hecht - Pomineville
Leino - Roy - Stafford
Ennis - Adam - Boyes
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta

Regehr - Myers
Leopold - Erhoff
Sekera - Grags

So discuss....
What are your lines? What would you do?
so hecht is a healthy scratch in your lineup to play ennis at 1c? Considering he hasnt played C in the nhl yet?......I thought Ruff was bad lol...jk i like the creativity but the fact remains no team ends up completely healthy so thats good news, I agree we have great depth when healthy which is a good thing.

V-H-P

Staff-Roy-Boyes(looked great tonight)

Ennis-Adam-Boyes(ennis and boyes hard work along the boards help set up adams shot...ill admit its a defensive liability)

gerbe-goose-kassian

(sorry i love kaleta as much as anyone but the honeymoon is over)

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:33 AM
DJN21

ps grags over mcnabb equals NO

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:45 AM
gallagt01

As much as I hate to say it, I've got a feeling McNabb and Kassian will both be returned to Rochester when (if) we get healthy.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 12:57 AM
drew5580

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEYAREGOODSCARYGOOD View Post
And I would do
Vanek-Adam-pommers
Ennis-Roy-stafford
Hecht-leino-Boyes
Gerbe-goose-Kaleta

Myers-Regher
Sekera-Ehrhoff
Mcnabb-leopold
I like this however I'd like to see Boyes replaced with Kassian which would also free up cap space at the deadline.

drew5580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:33 AM
Girgenburger

Kassian was pretty effective for his first 8-10 games. In his last 5 or so I haven't noticed him as much, which makes me think he needs a bit more time in Rochester. Let him finish out the year and he'll be ready for the NHL next season.

McNabb on the other hand...I think he stays. He's been solid defensively. Agreed with whoever has mentioned that he should be in the lineup over Gragnani.

Vanek-Pominville-Stafford
Ennis-Roy-Boyes
Adam-Hecht-Leino
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta

Ehrhoff-Myers
Regehr-Sekera
McNabb-Leopold

I'd like to give Pominville a go at center. He's gotten way better at faceoffs and can undoubtedly handle the defensive duties as he is our best two-way player.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:40 AM
Husko

Adam, Kassian, Boyes, Kaleta, Tropp, Gaustad, Gerbe, and Ennis will all sit before a healthy Hecht does

Husko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Husko

Vanek - Leino - Pominville
Ennis - Roy - Stafford
Hecht - Adam - Boyes
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta

Husko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:18 AM
Mergus merganser

IMHO both will be returned to rochester as soon as everyone is healthy. Mostly for cap reasons. They just can't keep them, unless they make a move.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:34 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew5580 View Post
I like this however I'd like to see Boyes replaced with Kassian which would also free up cap space at the deadline.
At this point, I'd rather trade Goose and keep Boyes and Kassian, although I don't think the numbers work if we're all healthy.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think if everyone is healthy, McNabb and Kassian have to go back down for cap reasons (unless we waive or trade someone).

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:58 AM
HiddenInLight

Is grags still eligable to skip waivers to get sent to Rochester?

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:52 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post

Boyes - Roy - Stafford
Leino - Adam - Kassian
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta
Hecht, McCormick, Ellis
I am not amused.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:53 AM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Can we please discuss Kaleta? IMO, it's over with him. Super dumb penalties. The suspension type. I have no issue with an agitator but he crosses the line almost nightly. The team as a whole has been playing tougher since 54 & 81 (plus Tropp) have been up and Webers back since Ruff took the beer goggles off in regards to MAG. I know he'd get more playing time in Rochester but I'm switching out Kaleta and Kassian. If the rest of the guys come back, Kaleta is one guy who will sit.

Still think we need a true 40 point shutdown center. I'm so disappointed with the head butts, and the knee on Ovie last night, get him off the team. Neilson for Kaleta just to get him off the team. He has crossed the line too many times and is going to cost us big one day. He's a marked man and will get called on everything. No breaks for him as every ref knows his game. Bye-bye

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:00 AM
HiddenInLight

I can see buffalo trying to ship him out for a pick as players continue to return.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:16 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
Adam, Kassian, Boyes, Kaleta, Tropp, Gaustad, Gerbe, and Ennis will all sit before a healthy Hecht does
One would think yesterday's game is proof enough of the value of Jochen Hecht. When healthy, he needs to be in the lineup--he's the ultimate sidekick, the guy you think is never good enough but who makes everything mesh just a little bit better (or in some cases, a lot) because of all the little things he does.

Tropp is headed to Rochester the moment he's healthy. There's only one player he might play ahead of, and that's Ellis. But I think cap reasons and the fact that Ellis is fine for his role (which as Chain put it a while back is to be a null--he may not provide offense and nothing bad happens when he's on the ice), and I still believe Tropp has untapped offensive potential that he is better served developing a little more in Rochester getting big minutes. Besides, there will be more call up chances.

The first of Ennis/Gerbe/Leino to come back takes over for Ellis. But Kassian's emergence has thrown a wrench into this whole situation, because now there is really only 2 spots (Ellis, McCormick). I like Cody, but not ahead of those three. What this really means IMO is that one of Ennis/Gerbe could be trade bait--specifically at the deadline.

Myers sends McNabb back to Rochester. Yes, McNabb has played well, but this is simply a numbers game (both roster size and cap). I don't see Weber sitting for Myers, and obviously McNabb is better off playing in Rochester than sitting in the press box here. However, if a D-man gets hurt, I'd call up McNabb before putting in Grags.

My preferred lines (not what I think we'll see...because let's be real, Ruff will put whatever he feels like on a period-by-period basis):

Vanek-Adam-Pominville (reunite VAP, see if he early season spark comes back)
Leino-Roy-Stafford
Boyes-Hecht-Kassian
Ennis-Gaustad-Kaleta

Regehr-Sekera
Leopold-Myers
Ehrhoff-Weber

Gerbe is my odd man out, he simply hasn't been good at all this year. But no hesitation to put him in and bench someone else if they underachieve. VAP might get a bit of a spark, and I just love the idea of BHK--our two best puck possession guys and a proven goal scorer to ride shotgun? Yes please. EGK is basically the leftover line--yes Ennis was playing better before getting hurt again, but there's just no other place to put him.

Defense--no need to break up Regehr-Sekera the way they are playing, but Leopold-Weber is an awful pair, so breaking them up just has to happen.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 07:48 AM
LabattBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaSHian View Post
McNabb on the other hand...I think he stays. He's been solid defensively. Agreed with whoever has mentioned that he should be in the lineup over Gragnani.
How does McNabb play instead of Gragnani, when Gragnani is in the press box?

I doubt Lindy sits both Weber and Gragnani in favor of McNabb, and McNabb isn't going to be kept here as a 7th defenseman.

LabattBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:01 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

What I'd like to see and what Ruff will probably do are different things. What I think Ruff would end up doing:

Vanek - Hecht - Pominville
Ennis - Roy - Stafford
Adam - Leino - Boyes
Gerbe - Gaustad - Kaleta

Myers - Regehr
Ehrhoff - Leopold
Sekera - McNabb

Luckily this team will never be 100% healthy, so Kassian will stay up out of necessity.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:16 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabattBlue View Post
How does McNabb play instead of Gragnani, when Gragnani is in the press box?

I doubt Lindy sits both Weber and Gragnani in favor of McNabb, and McNabb isn't going to be kept here as a 7th defenseman.
That's why a move should be made to free up cap space. Ideally, a forward and a defenseman should be moved to free up some space and that will allow us to keep McNabb and Kassian. That way when it comes time to make a move to bring in outside help we can without having to worry about the cap.

Probably won't happen because we all know Darcy...

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Vanek-Hecht-Pominville
Stafford-Roy-Boyes
Leino-Adam-Kassian
Ennis/Kaleta-Goose-Gerbe/McCormick

Regehr-Myers
Sekera-Ehrhoff
McNabb-Leopold
x Weber

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:24 AM
JPurp26

Kassian, I feel will be returned make him hungrier. McNabb I think forces them to make a trade and stays, hes been exceptional.

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Ennis-Roy-Stafford
Gerbe-Hecht-Leino
Kaleta-Gaustad-Boyes
McCormick

Ellis sent down to Rochester

Regher-Myers
McNabb-Ehrhoff
Sekera-Leopold
Weber

Miller
Enroth

I still think McNabb has got to get them thinking about making a trade Move some winger depth and D for salary help and hopefully a center.

Last edited by JPurp26: 12-27-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Adam was on two lines
JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Kassian, I feel will be returned make him hungrier. McNabb I think forces them to make a trade and stays, hes been exceptional.

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Ennis-Roy-Stafford
Adam-Hecht-Leino
Gerbe-Gaustad-Boyes
Kaleta, McCormick
Cloning FTW.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:10 AM
Zip15

I agree with LDS that Tropp and Stuart go back to Rochester immediately after becoming medically cleared.

Kassian's definitely going back to Rochester for more seasoning once two forwards return, at least for a little while--I think Ellis/McCormick will be the spare after the first forward returns. One assist in his last eight games isn't going to keep Kass in the lineup over more productive RWs, and I don't see Regier/Ruff keeping him up to play 4th line minutes--that just isn't their style of development. Kassian had a great start, but has experienced the typical rookie inconsistencies of late. Nothing to worry about, but send him back to continue working on being a consistent player night in and night out. People will hem and haw about his demotion, and likely make easy jokes about how he's too physical for Darcy and Lindy, but it's the right decision in the short term. But he'll be back if this team wants to make any move of significance at the deadline (other than Frans Nielsen), because the team will have to clear cap and Boyes is the most likely candidate to go.

Also, I keep getting this odd feeling that they may send McCormick back to Rochester. In his last two interviews with WGR, Black has said that they'll put one-way contracts in Rochester if it'll improve the Sabres. There may come a time where Cody doesn't have a spot in the lineup and they decide that $1.2m is just too much to spend for an enforcer sitting in the press box, especially when Ellis can do it for half the cost--these are the concerns of a cap team. The flip side of that coin is that (a) they could lose him on waivers (I doubt it with that contract, though I'd welcome it), or (b) they could lose him on re-entry to a team that'd be happy to pay him $600k and have Buffalo pay the other $600k for the remainder of the contract. Since I doubt Darcy wants $600k of dead cap space, McCormick may be spared.

I think the most intriguing decision will be what to do with McNabb. He looks like he belongs, and he brings a physical element that we don't have in spades. While many will clamor for Gragnani to be traded/waived/buried in the woods, I don't see them exposing him to waivers and trading him doesn't provide much in the way of salary relief. I think they see MAG's value being the cheap labor that he provides and he can at least be a spare. So unless they move Weber, either alone or in a package, I think they're going to send McNabb back to Rochester when Myers returns. In the days leading up to Myers' return, I fully expect Ruff to be pointing out specific errors by McNabb to the media in order to grease the skids for the impending reassignment to Rochester. With that said, if they do send him back to Rochester, I do believe they'll promote him over playing Gragnani if any defenseman gets hurt and is going to miss more than a game or two.

If (ever) fully healthy, I think they'll roll with this lineup:

Vanek-Hecht-Pominville
Ennis-Roy-Stafford
Adam-Leino-Boyes
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta
x Ellis/McCormick (Kassian in Rochester for any extended injuries)

Regehr-Myers
Leopold-Ehrhoff
Weber-Sekera
x Gragnani (McNabb in Rochester for any extended injuries)

Miller
Enroth

But since we're talking about this, we'll get hit with another rash of injuries later this week.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 09:23 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I agree with LDS that Tropp and Stuart go back to Rochester immediately after becoming medically cleared.

Kassian's definitely going back to Rochester for more seasoning once two forwards return, at least for a little while--I think Ellis/McCormick will be the spare after the first forward returns. One assist in his last eight games isn't going to keep Kass in the lineup over more productive RWs, and I don't see Regier/Ruff keeping him up to play 4th line minutes--that just isn't their style of development. Kassian had a great start, but has experienced the typical rookie inconsistencies of late. Nothing to worry about, but send him back to continue working on being a consistent player night in and night out. People will hem and haw about his demotion, and likely make easy jokes about how he's too physical for Darcy and Lindy, but it's the right decision in the short term. But he'll be back if this team wants to make any move of significance at the deadline (other than Frans Nielsen), because the team will have to clear cap and Boyes is the most likely candidate to go.

Also, I keep getting this odd feeling that they may send McCormick back to Rochester. In his last two interviews with WGR, Black has said that they'll put one-way contracts in Rochester if it'll improve the Sabres. There may come a time where Cody doesn't have a spot in the lineup and they decide that $1.2m is just too much to spend for an enforcer sitting in the press box, especially when Ellis can do it for half the cost--these are the concerns of a cap team. The flip side of that coin is that (a) they could lose him on waivers (I doubt it with that contract, though I'd welcome it), or (b) they could lose him on re-entry to a team that'd be happy to pay him $600k and have Buffalo pay the other $600k for the remainder of the contract. Since I doubt Darcy wants $600k of dead cap space, McCormick may be spared.

I think the most intriguing decision will be what to do with McNabb. He looks like he belongs, and he brings a physical element that we don't have in spades. While many will clamor for Gragnani to be traded/waived/buried in the woods, I don't see them exposing him to waivers and trading him doesn't provide much in the way of salary relief. I think they see MAG's value being the cheap labor that he provides and he can at least be a spare. So unless they move Weber, either alone or in a package, I think they're going to send McNabb back to Rochester when Myers returns. In the days leading up to Myers' return, I fully expect Ruff to be pointing out specific errors by McNabb to the media in order to grease the skids for the impending reassignment to Rochester. With that said, if they do send him back to Rochester, I do believe they'll promote him over playing Gragnani if any defenseman gets hurt and is going to miss more than a game or two.

If (ever) fully healthy, I think they'll roll with this lineup:

Vanek-Hecht-Pominville
Ennis-Roy-Stafford
Adam-Leino-Boyes
Gerbe-Gaustad-Kaleta
x Ellis/McCormick (Kassian in Rochester for any extended injuries)

Regehr-Myers
Leopold-Ehrhoff
Weber-Sekera
x Gragnani (McNabb in Rochester for any extended injuries)

Miller
Enroth

But since we're talking about this, we'll get hit with another rash of injuries later this week.
So what makes the McNabb decision more intriguing? The definition you gave could easily be used to describe Kassian

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote