HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

12-27 Winnipeg @ Colorado

Old
12-27-2011, 01:42 PM
TheStranger

vCash: 500
Avs will dismantle Winnipeg tonight, 6-1 or something along those lines. This, coupled with the fact it will be our 6th win in a row and 9th(?) straight at home will start some rumblings around the league about the Avs.

Avs will promptly drop their next 4-5 straight.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
So any news on Mueller? Or are we taking the "no news is good news" approach with him in hopes he's working hard on getting into game shape and it's not concussion related problems.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
I haven't watched a game since Dec 15. Avs haven't lost a single game while I've been away. I'll be watching tonight, so I'd like to apologize in advance.
OMG we're gonna lose

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
So any news on Mueller? Or are we taking the "no news is good news" approach with him in hopes he's working hard on getting into game shape and it's not concussion related problems.
They have already said it's a head injury. It doesn't take 5 months to get into game shape.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 01:59 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
And what, if any significant impact has Hunwick had in any of the wins?
I think you're judging him solely based on last season.

He has had a turn around this season and has been solid. His defensive play and responsibility has made it easier for Elliott to play a more aggressive offensive style. Hunwick has been just fine at holding the defensive side of things when Elliott pinches in. He's not costing us goals, he's not costing us games.

Hell, I think he's only been on the ice for one goal against in the entire month of December, and he's been getting decent ice time. So really, what more can you ask of from a defensive defenseman?

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:02 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Quincey will play the game after our next loss. Sacco is taking the idea of not messing with a winning team to extremes here.
Just throwing this out there...
There are a few teams looking for a dman so I just wonder if they are keeping him out of the lineuo because he is being traded after the trade freeze which ends tonight at midnight. This way they don't risk him getting hurt. With Wilson starting to skate again (according to Chambers) we have a surplus of dmen again.

I'm probably looking at this too much. It's most likely Sacco sticking with a winning lineup. However contrary to the goalie situation where Giggy was clearly better than Varly (therefore you stick with the better goalie until you lose theory), in the case of Hunwick/Quincey I can't help thinking that Hunwick hasn't been a difference. In fact the Elliott/Hunwick pairing has been abused quite often by the other teams during the winning streak. I just can't see Quincey making a detrimental difference to our streak hence my thinking about a possible trade in the making.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfan View Post
However contrary to the goalie situation where Giggy was clearly better than Varly (therefore you stick with the better goalie until you lose theory),
Back to back games. Are you seriously criticizing Sacco for doing what every other coach does, splitting the games up between their goaltenders in that same situation?

Old
12-27-2011, 02:09 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Back to back games. Are you seriously criticizing Sacco for doing what every other coach does, splitting the games up between their goaltenders in that same situation?
They didn't criticize Sacco playing Varlamov, read it again. They were just comparing Quincey being scratched for the last several games, and pointing out how it's different from Giguere starting a bunch of games in a row because he was playing better.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:13 PM
cyberfan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
Not criticizing at all. Just like TheStranger said just comparing the two situations. I'm actually happy that they split the games.

cyberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:17 PM
RoyDekesGretzky
The Factor is in

We can move into a playoff spot with a win tonight. My boy Stef Elliott with the game winner tonight

RoyDekesGretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:24 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Of Pies View Post
We can move into a playoff spot with a win tonight. My boy Stef Elliott with the game winner tonight
Too bad the teams we have the opportunity to leap frog will have two games in hand after tonight. Meaning they are potentially 3 points up on us even if we win. Hell if we lost tonight and Edmonton won their games in hand on us they'd be ahead of us, jesus.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Fluke

Really wanna watch the game tonight, missed the last 3. So maybe I shouldn't? Plus the girl I'm seeing wants to start watching Avs games with me cause she "wants a favorite team" (yeah right, she just wants me to think she's cool). Not sure if I should subject her to Avs fandom.

Or go to the Slovakia - Latvia game in Calgary.....

Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
This guy makes a positive post......

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Of Pies View Post
And it's immediately shot down with a negative post........

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Too bad the teams we have the opportunity to leap frog will have two games in hand after tonight. Meaning they are potentially 3 points up on us even if we win. Hell if we lost tonight and Edmonton won their games in hand on us they'd be ahead of us, jesus.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:30 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
This guy makes a positive post......

And it's immediately shot down with a negative post........

I didn't mean to sound negative. It's just it seems we always have played more games than other teams. I'd rather be close in points but be games back. Just gotta keep winning though, that's all we can do.

Of course Calgary is keeping pace all of a sudden with 3 straight wins, ********.

Old
12-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Not criticizing at all. Just like TheStranger said just comparing the two situations. I'm actually happy that they split the games.
Ah okay

Old
12-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Mouse21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by en_snabb_svensk View Post
I haven't watched a game since Dec 15. Avs haven't lost a single game while I've been away. I'll be watching tonight, so I'd like to apologize in advance.
ugh. i mean, why? why would you watch?

respect the streak.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 02:47 PM
RoyDekesGretzky
The Factor is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
Really wanna watch the game tonight, missed the last 3. So maybe I shouldn't? Plus the girl I'm seeing wants to start watching Avs games with me cause she "wants a favorite team" (yeah right, she just wants me to think she's cool). Not sure if I should subject her to Avs fandom.

Or go to the Slovakia - Latvia game in Calgary.....
you have to subject her to avs fandom...plus slovak-latvia will be a brutal game..Dating an avs fan, would be a miracle, especially bein from canada

Old
12-27-2011, 02:49 PM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

vCash: 608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
ugh. i mean, why? why would you watch?

respect the streak.
If we lose now, he should get an infraction

AMDZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:00 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Just throwing this out there...
There are a few teams looking for a dman so I just wonder if they are keeping him out of the lineuo because he is being traded after the trade freeze which ends tonight at midnight. This way they don't risk him getting hurt. With Wilson starting to skate again (according to Chambers) we have a surplus of dmen again.

I'm probably looking at this too much. It's most likely Sacco sticking with a winning lineup. However contrary to the goalie situation where Giggy was clearly better than Varly (therefore you stick with the better goalie until you lose theory), in the case of Hunwick/Quincey I can't help thinking that Hunwick hasn't been a difference. In fact the Elliott/Hunwick pairing has been abused quite often by the other teams during the winning streak. I just can't see Quincey making a detrimental difference to our streak hence my thinking about a possible trade in the making.
Pardon my ignorance, but what trade freeze?

tucker3434 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Cinderella team

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what trade freeze?
The NHL has a trade freeze meaning that teams cannot make any trades or put anyone on waivers. It lasts from the 19th to the 27.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:17 PM
RoyDekesGretzky
The Factor is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchene2Mueller View Post
The NHL has a trade freeze meaning that teams cannot make any trades or put anyone on waivers. It lasts from the 19th to the 27.
ya i think its all about the holidays, so that players dont lose jobs or get traded during the holidays

Old
12-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hek View Post
And what, if any significant impact has Hunwick had in any of the wins?
He's played pretty well. You guys are brutal sometimes.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:43 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Record Robot View Post
He's played pretty well. You guys are brutal sometimes.
No kidding. He hasn't looked like Bumwick from last season.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Quincey will play the game after our next loss. Sacco is taking the idea of not messing with a winning team to extremes here.
Agreed.

Players and Coaches are superstitious, but Quincey is arguably the team's best all-around defensemen. At least he played like that for the majority of the early part of the season.

I think this is a rather crazy approach.

Goulet17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:04 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
Agreed.

Players and Coaches are superstitious, but Quincey is arguably the team's best all-around defensemen. At least he played like that for the majority of the early part of the season.

I think this is a rather crazy approach.
I try not to think about it too much (something I suggest for a lot of you...) but I think it's a combination of factors. Firstly, I think Quincey may very well be in the doghouse. If that's the case, case solved. Secondly, the team is winning. Thirdly, Sacco might feel like the pairings he has out there have the best chemistry of any other combinations he might put out there.

I would like to see O'Byrne sit a game for Quincey, or something like that, but that's just one fan's perspective. I agree with those who have said that it's not a problem as long as we're winning. I'd rather this team win doing things Sacco's way than losing with the lineup just exactly as I'd have it. Watching sports must be pretty harsh for some of you.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote