Old
12-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Baddkarma
El Guapo to most...

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Baddkarma
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
Just visited TSN and noticed 3 more players are out with concussions.

Weber with Nashville, Liles with Toronto and Gagne with the Kings.

Something has to give sooner or later.
Shut down the league, its the only way...

12-27-2011, 03:39 PM
LyricalLyricist

People are saying removing red line has caused more speed in neutral zone and has caused higher impact collisions. Not saying put the two-line pass rule back, but i'm sure something can be done to keep a good balance.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:40 PM
nonoffensiveusername

Something REALLY has to change, and I think it's the pads. Go back to the soft pads instead of the armor they wear now.

The league is losing lots of talent. Savard's going to have to retire, and it wouldn't surprise me if Crosby had to retire. If Crosby is done, twisted as it is, it would actually be really good for the league, because then they would actually address the problem.

nonoffensiveusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
People are saying removing red line has caused more speed in neutral zone and has caused higher impact collisions. Not saying put the two-line pass rule back, but i'm sure something can be done to keep a good balance.
Or widen the rink. I don't see any other solution than one, or both of these.

Therick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
BallroomBitz
What about Griffith?

Pretty hard for a helmet to protect you when it's bouncing around on your head like an accessory rather than a piece of PPE.

I just watched the Liles hit, and his helmet wobbles around as soon as he gets up and shakes it off. Gaustad lined him up with a BEAUTY hit, totally clean, and there wasn't even any head contact from the replays I saw.

Ever think of tightening the chin strap so the helmet can do it's job?

That's half the problem I think.

BallroomBitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:47 PM
TwineTickler
TheUltimateBruin

The solution has to be equipment related. You can't make huge alterations to the game every 5 years. It's an exciting, fast paced game that is wildly entertaining. I'm all for player safety, but I don't want the red line back in. It slows the game down horribly. You wanna take out the trapezoid, fine. No touch icing (not a huge fan), fine. . Cracking down on head shots/dirty hits, fine. Making the rinks a little bigger is also something I'm okay with, I just don't want the red line back in. Removing it was a genius move and is not responsible for the increase in concussions, at least not solely.

TwineTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:48 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Last night a player from the Minnesota Wild got hit head first into the dasher from behind. After laying on the ice for a few minutes he was taken to the quiet room.

I don't know the guy's name but I won't be surprised if he is on the list next. The guy who hit him got a 5 minute major and was tossed from the game.

For the 5,000,000 th time something has to be done with the dashers/glass, as well as the equipment the guys wear. They all play a part in the concussion problem.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:49 PM
CamDegs13
Nose Face Killah

Time to ban hitting from the game...

CamDegs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
NHL wanted a faster game with less contact away from the puck.

You cant back check anymore, so the player is meeting the defeseman at full speed. You cant interfere with the player when he dumps the puck into the zone so the player is meeting the defensemen and the boards at full speed.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 03:58 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
every time someone asks me if the Bruins can repeat, I tell them if they avoid injuries and specifically concussions they have a great chance...its crazy what is happening

I agree with Shawn Thornton and those here who say the equipment needs to be adjusted- the speed these guys move now is just incredible compared to even 15 years ago; add in the rule changes, the equipment, the shape these guys are in, and the mindset of 'seek and destroy' often preached by coaches, demanded by fans, and the money it brings and you have led to destruction.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:05 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
NHL wanted a faster game with less contact away from the puck.

You cant back check anymore, so the player is meeting the defeseman at full speed. You cant interfere with the player when he dumps the puck into the zone so the player is meeting the defensemen and the boards at full speed.
This goes along with the equipment, no redline, the trapazoid as mentioned and the lack of respect on the players part. I'm not sure how they go back without big changes.

Old
12-27-2011, 04:21 PM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

Start with a radical change in equipment composition. Make everybody carry a 40 pound backpack.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNHL View Post
Start with a radical change in equipment composition. Make everybody carry a 40 pound backpack.
make the skates heavier

Old
12-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therick67 View Post
This goes along with the equipment, no redline, the trapazoid as mentioned and the lack of respect on the players part. I'm not sure how they go back without big changes.
If there was no trapezoid, I doubt Bergeron gets boarded the way he did.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Therick67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
If there was no trapezoid, I doubt Bergeron gets boarded the way he did.
I agree. That IMO looks like the place to start.

Old
12-27-2011, 04:50 PM
The Old Ness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
i started a thread on this ages ago...and the general consensus seemed to be that with a centre red line in play...it allowed the defensemen to be more decisive and step up hard into oncoming forwards. i think there are more suicide passes with the red line as well. i seriously doubt reinstating the two-line pass will provide any help.

The Old Ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:00 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
teams are just more aware and aren't letting players play through minor concussions anymore. I don't think they are happening more often... I just think that we're hearing more about them

It's good for the players and other than tweaking equipment to help soften impacts.. there's not much you can do without drastically altering the game.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 05:08 PM
ThomasJ13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
every time someone asks me if the Bruins can repeat, I tell them if they avoid injuries and specifically concussions they have a great chance...its crazy what is happening

I agree with Shawn Thornton and those here who say the equipment needs to be adjusted- the speed these guys move now is just incredible compared to even 15 years ago; add in the rule changes, the equipment, the shape these guys are in, and the mindset of 'seek and destroy' often preached by coaches, demanded by fans, and the money it brings and you have led to destruction.
I agree - if you soften the equipment (more than they already have) then the players will self-regulate the speed at which they barrel into other players, for fear of injuring themselves. You can also reduce the footprint/area of the shoulder and elbow pads, which might save some heads. I know they have already introduced softer shoulder and elbow pads, and smaller shoulder pads, but that doesn't mean that they can't do more in this area, by reducing the stiffness and footprint even more. The NHLPA is going to squawk, of course, but at some point you'd hope they are willing to accept more shoulder injuries in exchange for fewer concussions. It is encouraging to see that the league is at least looking into this aspect more:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2270267/

From that December 13, 2011 article:

While many of the hard plastic caps on the elbow pads and shoulder pads in use now were eliminated or covered by softer padding, King (Kris King, NHL senior VP of hockey operations) said the league is testing a prototype now from equipment manufacturer CCM that has “very limited hard plastic. The rest is different grades of foam.”

ThomasJ13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2011, 06:11 PM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
What do you propose be done to the glass and dashers ?
The dashers and boards should be made of the same shock absorbing material that NASCAR has tested at some tracks- the material absorbs all of the collision and dissipates it throughout the panel, so none of it transfers back to the player hitting it.

As for the glass IMO right now the panels are too rigid- they should be more flexible. If that means they break more often so be it.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote