HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Jacob Trouba - US NTDP, USHL (2012, 9th overall, Winnipeg)

Old
04-18-2012, 12:46 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
No no no I was fortunate to see one more USHL game and 2 Team USA games at the WJC18.

4 games isn't a ton but it's more than nothing.

I'm just critical of him I guess. His game is shallow.
In what way? The Jones-Trouba pairing has been phenomenal. Jones takes risks but he's good enough to eliminate the risk factor in his decisions. Trouba played, and plays with a ton of poise, intelligence, strength, and positioning. He could very well come out the most effective DFD in this draft.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
In what way? The Jones-Trouba pairing has been phenomenal. Jones takes risks but he's good enough to eliminate the risk factor in his decisions. Trouba played, and plays with a ton of poise, intelligence, strength, and positioning. He could very well come out the most effective DFD in this draft.
He's essentially the only top 30 DFD in this draft...

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
No no no I was fortunate to see one more USHL game and 2 Team USA games at the WJC18.

4 games isn't a ton but it's more than nothing.

I'm just critical of him I guess. His game is shallow.
Shallow? In what way?

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 12:59 PM
boredmale

I see Trouba falling a bit to 8-12. Teams generally want "star players" when they have a pick and Trouba seems like the "safe" pick that might scare a few teams away

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I see Trouba falling a bit to 8-12. Teams generally want "star players" when they have a pick and Trouba seems like the "safe" pick that might scare a few teams away
I wouldn't be upset if he was picked by the Jets.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2012, 01:07 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
He's essentially the only top 30 DFD in this draft...
That isn't where his game ends though. It's not like he's restricted to his own zone.

Old
04-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Shallow? In what way?
Besides hitting and occasionally a good pass I don't see him being an impact defender.

I'm digging myself into a hole. Obviously my opinions are against the grain here and in the scouts minds, and I am far from a professional scout.

It may just be a personal thing.

We'll see

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 08:15 AM
TheZec

Do you think he would be a reach at #4? From what I'm reading he would be a perfect fit on the Island, but I don't know if he's worth the 4th pick.

TheZec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Sundinisagod
93 v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
Do you think he would be a reach at #4? From what I'm reading he would be a perfect fit on the Island, but I don't know if he's worth the 4th pick.
If Murray is gone then it's definately not a reach.

Sundinisagod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 09:44 AM
wholesickcrew

Would Hamhuis be a good comparison? Very good defensively, high hockey IQ, smooth skating, and under-rated offense.

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I can't see him falling out of the top 10, but I couldn't see Fowler or Gormley falling out of the top 10 either.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:41 AM
weems

Jacob Trouba Underrated?

Every year there seems to be one guy in the top 10 who kind of flys under the radar. Now I have only seen very little of Trouba (2 games this tournament) but I was very impressed. Mostly it was his size, skating ability and overall hockeysense. You hear so much talk about Murray and Dumba but Trouba doesnt get much pub. This is what I see

-A big kid who is a fantastic skater
-Has really sneaky offensive skills
-A pretty big shot
-Good hands
-Solid puckmover and capable on the PP
-Good hockeysense and understanding of positioning
-A very good first pass

He shows flashs of physicality and grit but think once he matures and puts on some weight will become more nasty. He seems to have all the tools you want in the new age NHL shutdown defensemen. Seems like the kid has a fantastic skillset just needs some refining as he also looks a bit raw. To me if this kid is a hard worker he should develop into a Dman who eats big minutes, can play in basically any situation (PK, PP, offensive role, shutdown role) and bring some good leadership qualities to the table as he seems like a mature kid.

I've seen alot of Murray, Dumba, Rielly and I think Trouba has as big of a ceiling as any of those and maybe more.

I know it wouldnt be a popular pick amongst Leaf fans but I would be more then fine with taking this guy at #5 and dont think its that big of a stretch. A future first pairing of Gardiner - Trouba would bring unreal skating and puck moving ability and Trouba could play a nice steady safe game behind Gardiner.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 02:47 AM
Chrisd

Trouba

Trouba is pretty highly regarded and a almost certain top 10 lock.

His absolute ceiling for where he could go is probably #4 overall, more realistically 6-10.

A lot can happen between now and the draft, he's probably a player who will interview very well, from what I've heard of him and will test well in the combine.

There isn't a huge separation between players 2-10 imo......guys who are considered in the 5-10 range....etc.....guys like Trouba, Morgan Rielly, Teuvo, Collberg.....etc...

I think Yakupov is clearly the best player in the draft. 2-10....sure there are some who look like safer bets, but it wouldn't shock me if some guys who get picked between 5-10 are just as good as the 2-5 guys.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 03:13 AM
weems

I saw this comparison thrown around in another thread but I liked it.

A bigger right handed version of Nik Kronwall

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 05:16 AM
TheNudge

Send a message via MSN to TheNudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
I saw this comparison thrown around in another thread but I liked it.

A bigger right handed version of Nik Kronwall
I heard that Trouba was compared to Scott Stevens

TheNudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 09:06 AM
ottawah

Trouba has some discount to his game because he is rather raw and unfinished, and how that plays out remains to be seen. I see the potential for him to be the best D man taken in this draft, but I also see the potential for him to a low end D man. I personally believe if he takes his game to the OHL, he has a much better chance of fulfilling the potential than if he goes Div 1. I think ultimately that is what stalled Erik Johnson's development, and I would hate to see that happen to Trouba. Playing against the best of his peers in a hockey dominated schedule is what he needs now.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Trouba has some discount to his game because he is rather raw and unfinished, and how that plays out remains to be seen. I see the potential for him to be the best D man taken in this draft, but I also see the potential for him to a low end D man. I personally believe if he takes his game to the OHL, he has a much better chance of fulfilling the potential than if he goes Div 1. I think ultimately that is what stalled Erik Johnson's development, and I would hate to see that happen to Trouba. Playing against the best of his peers in a hockey dominated schedule is what he needs now.
I would argue Johnson's missed year due to injury is what hurt his development, not playing in the NCAA with the Gophers. The NCAA has a very good track record of developing d-men.

As for Trouba, I don't see him as raw at all. I think he actually has a very refined game for his age. The question with him is upside. Is *this* all you're going to get? That's fine if you're looking for a 3-5 d-man for 10+ years with good production on both sides of the puck-but if you are looking for star power-Reilly or Dumba are better bets.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:22 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Dmen tend to slip in the draft, having him at 6-10 is a fairly safe bet. So no, I don't think he's getting underrated.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:32 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1000
One of my favorites of the draft, but he's getting talk as a top 10 player so I don't think he's being underrated at all.

My full account
My Avs-only account
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 10:39 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by gifted88 View Post
Dmen tend to slip in the draft, having him at 6-10 is a fairly safe bet. So no, I don't think he's getting underrated.
Pretty much this. I think he deserves more praise then he gets but he tends to be ranked high.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:24 AM
Victorious Secret
Eyebrows Defcon 1

I'm hoping the Wild pick him up at number 7. By then the top 4 forwards should be gone and dumba and rielly. I've been clammoring for trouba for a while now and that'd be my dream scenario. I've only been able to watch him a few times, but hes never disappointed. Doesn't look flustered if he makes a mistake and is solid defensively. Plus, he makes a good first pass. Which would be huge for Minnesota.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 11:27 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I would argue Johnson's missed year due to injury is what hurt his development, not playing in the NCAA with the Gophers. The NCAA has a very good track record of developing d-men.

As for Trouba, I don't see him as raw at all. I think he actually has a very refined game for his age. The question with him is upside. Is *this* all you're going to get? That's fine if you're looking for a 3-5 d-man for 10+ years with good production on both sides of the puck-but if you are looking for star power-Reilly or Dumba are better bets.
I think Trouba can be better than a 3-5 D man. As as for Johnson, he was already well into his NHL career when he got hurt.

As for NCAA, I'm not sure I'd say they develop well. I think of the higher draft picks that chose that route, and in most cases they do not justify their draft position. Just looking through the years at guys taken top 15 where Trouba will be taken .... (looking ten years, so 2002 - 2007 (5 years ago, about the time needed to fully develop most D men))

Ryan Whitney - Great pickup
Ballard - Probably picked a touch high, but at least plays
Suter - Great pickup
A.J. Thelen - Dud
Jack Johnson, nice D man, but already on his third team, and in my mind has not lived up to his billing.
Brian Lee? Dud.
Sasha Pokulok? Dud.
Erik Johnson - Did not come close to billing

Other than a couple near ten years ago, its generally dud after dud, not as good as hoped.

The OHL is the biggest supplier of talent to the NHL for a reason, its a superior league with superior programs. It is not that the NCAA route is bad, and for the majority of players coming out of the USNDP I'd agree it is the right step, but when you have the talent trouba has and an NHL career looks like a lock, in my mind you go for the best development program there is. The one that stresses hockey over academics (I do not like or condone that fact, but it is true), and is filled with the NHL superstars of tomorrow. Many coaches at the OHL level go on to the NHL, from NCAA, not so much.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
I think Trouba can be better than a 3-5 D man. As as for Johnson, he was already well into his NHL career when he got hurt.

As for NCAA, I'm not sure I'd say they develop well. I think of the higher draft picks that chose that route, and in most cases they do not justify their draft position. Just looking through the years at guys taken top 15 where Trouba will be taken .... (looking ten years, so 2002 - 2007 (5 years ago, about the time needed to fully develop most D men))

Ryan Whitney - Great pickup
Ballard - Probably picked a touch high, but at least plays
Suter - Great pickup
A.J. Thelen - Dud
Jack Johnson, nice D man, but already on his third team, and in my mind has not lived up to his billing.
Brian Lee? Dud.
Sasha Pokulok? Dud.
Erik Johnson - Did not come close to billing

Other than a couple near ten years ago, its generally dud after dud, not as good as hoped.

The OHL is the biggest supplier of talent to the NHL for a reason, its a superior league with superior programs. It is not that the NCAA route is bad, and for the majority of players coming out of the USNDP I'd agree it is the right step, but when you have the talent trouba has and an NHL career looks like a lock, in my mind you go for the best development program there is. The one that stresses hockey over academics (I do not like or condone that fact, but it is true), and is filled with the NHL superstars of tomorrow. Many coaches at the OHL level go on to the NHL, from NCAA, not so much.
Johnson was one year in to his professional career when he got injured and missed the following season. He never played in the minors (except for a one game stint with Peoria). You're also cherry-picking d-men to fit your argument. OVERALL, the NCAA does a good job of developing d-men.

Old
04-23-2012, 12:45 PM
umwoz

Almost certainly top 10, might slip to 12 or so but no further.

I have heard some questions surrounding his hockey sense and passing ability though. Probably just overreaching expectations, since most people seem to think that every top 10 pick should be an elite puck mover as a defenseman.

umwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2012, 12:49 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by umwoz View Post
Almost certainly top 10, might slip to 12 or so but no further.

I have heard some questions surrounding his hockey sense and passing ability though. Probably just overreaching expectations, since most people seem to think that every top 10 pick should be an elite puck mover as a defenseman.
But when some of us have seen it be true with our own eyes, I don't really think it's over reaching.