HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Jacob Trouba - US NTDP, USHL (2012, 9th overall, Winnipeg)

Old
06-23-2012, 12:04 AM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
I wouldn't say he's a "takes no prisoners" type player.

I'd say he takes prisoners and beats the crap out of them until their future children feel it.

Really like the pick, although I'll have to listen to some Winnipeg fans moan about Couturier and Forsberg/Grigorenko.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:33 AM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Happy with this pick. Wouldve liked Forsberg but whatever.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:43 AM
puckfan13

vCash: 500
4 pts in 3 games to kick off his college career. Sounds promising on paper, anybody in Ann Arbor catch any of the past three games and care to give a report of sorts?

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 02:56 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
4 pts in 3 games to kick off his college career. Sounds promising on paper, anybody in Ann Arbor catch any of the past three games and care to give a report of sorts?
I didn't (so can't answer your question directly) - but a friend saw *one* game about a week and a half ago and said he was surprised at how good he looked offensively. he also said that he wasn't pushed around physically. other than that i can't add anything. sorry.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2012, 01:27 PM
JetsHomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reims View Post
Trouba will be a solid NHLer no doubt, the question I have is does he get booed every time he touches the puck in Winnipeg because of this last year:

This was at the World U17's last year in Winnipeg and the kid got booed for the rest of the game. If my memory is correct I think Jack Johnson still gets booed in Vancouver because of a similar incident.
I hope this still happens

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:00 PM
JetsHomer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7VSX...ature=youtu.be

Trouba straight annihilates a college player with a open ice hit

JetsHomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:24 PM
kitchen44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post

wow... that was vicious... completely destroyed that kid.

kitchen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 04:38 PM
The K Man

Quote:

Wow, was that straight on head contact? Kind of hard to see in the video but that's what it looked to me.

Pretty brutal if it was.

The K Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 05:52 PM
Madic

Hahaha wow. Massive. To the head, but he's bending over, and it might have been early (or late, depending on how you look at it)...yikes.

Madic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:

I remember when i played hockey, the coach used to say keep your head up...cause that would happen. Kinda makes me mad to see that hand go up. To me, its a clean hit.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:

I remember when i played hockey, the coach used to say keep your head up...cause that would happen. Kinda makes me mad to see that hand go up. To me, its a clean hit.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Third times a charm!

Garyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 09:58 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
It was clean 100%.

Player was still in possession of the puck too.

arsmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 10:05 PM
smokes lets go

that kids brain got rattled hard, hope he's ok. Trouba/Bogosian/Stuart are gonna be terrifying for opponents

smokes lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Clean hit. Poor call by the ref. I really like Trouba's progress thus far.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 12:52 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Maintained his body position, kept his elbow in on contact, skates on the ice, and the kid bent down into the hit (trying to chip the puck past Trouba). That was not a dirty hit at all IMHO but it was really violent. It had a Scott Stevens vibe as far a play ending hit! WOW

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2012, 08:54 AM
MHNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Clean hit. Poor call by the ref. I really like Trouba's progress thus far.
Um, no, it was the right call. College hockey has cracked down on contact to the head. Read the rule book this season and the entire Points of Emphasis section is on contact to the head, nothing else. Trouba's hit clearly nailed Reed Seckel in the head. Doesn't matter if Seckel was trying to play the puck, lunging forward, height difference, if it was Trouba's shoulder, whatever. The only thing that matters in making that call is whether or not Trouba hit his head, and he did. The onus these days in college hockey is on the playing making the hit. While I share the same sentiments about keeping your head up and this is what happens if you don't, this is the way the game is changing. As Red Berenson said, five years ago this probably doesn't get called a penalty (or probably a minor penalty at that). These days, it's a call every time.

It not just hockey, either. Look at football and how helmet-on-helmet hits are all personal fouls or anyone touching a quarterback get flagged (or so it seems that way).

With all the medical info on the effects of concussions these days, I understand why they want to eliminate the dangerous head contact like Trouba's hit.

BTW, Seckel did not get a concussion out of this. How he didn't, I don't know. He laid motionless on the ice for a good five minutes. Was told he stayed up that night waiting for the headaches to start and they never did. Doctors checked him out and he passed all the tests and was cleared to play the next night (and he scored two goals).

MHNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNet View Post
Um, no, it was the right call. College hockey has cracked down on contact to the head. Read the rule book this season and the entire Points of Emphasis section is on contact to the head, nothing else. Trouba's hit clearly nailed Reed Seckel in the head. Doesn't matter if Seckel was trying to play the puck, lunging forward, height difference, if it was Trouba's shoulder, whatever. The only thing that matters in making that call is whether or not Trouba hit his head, and he did. The onus these days in college hockey is on the playing making the hit. While I share the same sentiments about keeping your head up and this is what happens if you don't, this is the way the game is changing. As Red Berenson said, five years ago this probably doesn't get called a penalty (or probably a minor penalty at that). These days, it's a call every time.

It not just hockey, either. Look at football and how helmet-on-helmet hits are all personal fouls or anyone touching a quarterback get flagged (or so it seems that way).

With all the medical info on the effects of concussions these days, I understand why they want to eliminate the dangerous head contact like Trouba's hit.

BTW, Seckel did not get a concussion out of this. How he didn't, I don't know. He laid motionless on the ice for a good five minutes. Was told he stayed up that night waiting for the headaches to start and they never did. Doctors checked him out and he passed all the tests and was cleared to play the next night (and he scored two goals).
Trouble i have with that is, the player getting checked can move last second and there's nothing for the 'hitting' player to do. They are in the midst of finishing their check and if the other player leans in with their head, they can draw a penalty (and suspension). Will take more hits out of the game, not just 'dirty' hits. Which i'm not in favor of. The NHL still puts onus on the player with the puck to keep their head up, and have put in rules to take the blind-side hit out for player safety. I like those rules better, tbh.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:01 AM
Sweech
COYS!

I'm just surprised he's playing at nearly ppg level already in the NCAA.

Everyone knew about how well he could skate and defend, but the big question mark was whether he had much offensive skills.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 11:51 AM
MHNet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
Trouble i have with that is, the player getting checked can move last second and there's nothing for the 'hitting' player to do. They are in the midst of finishing their check and if the other player leans in with their head, they can draw a penalty (and suspension). Will take more hits out of the game, not just 'dirty' hits. Which i'm not in favor of. The NHL still puts onus on the player with the puck to keep their head up, and have put in rules to take the blind-side hit out for player safety. I like those rules better, tbh.
I totally agree with what you wrote. I absolutely hate it when a player is about to check someone and the player about to be hit turns his back at the last second. These days in college hockey that's a penalty almost every time (boarding, checking from behind, or worse yet a major for CFB if it's in to the boards). And you know a good portion of those players turn their back intentionally because they know they can draw a penalty that way. It's cheap, but I don't blame them because it works.

The same thing can be said with getting caught with your head down. Before if a player skated through center ice and got caught not looking, well, next time play with your head up. I wonder if, like the aforementioned scenario of players turning their backs to checks more often to draw a penalty, if more players going forward are going to play with their heads down knowing that if they do get nailed, there's a good chance the ref is going to call a penalty due to it being a big hit (clean or not).

But, that's the way sports is headed these days. Physical sports are becoming less physical. The NCAA is trying to crack down on head shots, blind side hits, etc... While I understand the concern for player safety, at the same time it seems to make some players play less responsibly. Football is the same way. I swear you touch a quarterback these days (college or NFL) and you're getting a penalty. Or how they moved up where kickoffs are from to eliminate kickoff returns because they claimed too many players were getting hurt on kickoff returns. It's like what's next, all punts must be fair caught? I'm all for player safety, but at the end of the day I'm still old school in that sports are physical and you accept that fact when YOU choose to play, so play the game it was meant to be played.

MHNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 01:22 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNet View Post
I totally agree with what you wrote. I absolutely hate it when a player is about to check someone and the player about to be hit turns his back at the last second. These days in college hockey that's a penalty almost every time (boarding, checking from behind, or worse yet a major for CFB if it's in to the boards). And you know a good portion of those players turn their back intentionally because they know they can draw a penalty that way. It's cheap, but I don't blame them because it works.

The same thing can be said with getting caught with your head down. Before if a player skated through center ice and got caught not looking, well, next time play with your head up. I wonder if, like the aforementioned scenario of players turning their backs to checks more often to draw a penalty, if more players going forward are going to play with their heads down knowing that if they do get nailed, there's a good chance the ref is going to call a penalty due to it being a big hit (clean or not).

But, that's the way sports is headed these days. Physical sports are becoming less physical. The NCAA is trying to crack down on head shots, blind side hits, etc... While I understand the concern for player safety, at the same time it seems to make some players play less responsibly. Football is the same way. I swear you touch a quarterback these days (college or NFL) and you're getting a penalty. Or how they moved up where kickoffs are from to eliminate kickoff returns because they claimed too many players were getting hurt on kickoff returns. It's like what's next, all punts must be fair caught? I'm all for player safety, but at the end of the day I'm still old school in that sports are physical and you accept that fact when YOU choose to play, so play the game it was meant to be played.

Young men (and women) should not be forced at the age of 19 or 20 to choose between a thousand dollar scholarship and coherent brain function later in life. An athlete, especially a young one, is always going to choose to play and suffer the risks later. Is your joy of a kickoff really worth this?

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:14 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Young men (and women) should not be forced at the age of 19 or 20 to choose between a thousand dollar scholarship and coherent brain function later in life. An athlete, especially a young one, is always going to choose to play and suffer the risks later. Is your joy of a kickoff really worth this?

There's a risk taken with everything you do in life. The risk is slightly higher playing those sports. It's your decision if you want to take that risk or not. Boxers take that decision and their risk of having concussion related problems later in life is much higher than hockey. Also, your photo points to nothing else other than the fact that regretful accident happen in life. This guy could've been injured in a car accident for all I know. It's a fallacious argument called an appeal to sympathy.

JAVO16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:30 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVO16 View Post
There's a risk taken with everything you do in life. The risk is slightly higher playing those sports. It's your decision if you want to take that risk or not. Boxers take that decision and their risk of having concussion related problems later in life is much higher than hockey. Also, your photo points to nothing else other than the fact that regretful accident happen in life. This guy could've been injured in a car accident for all I know. It's a fallacious argument called an appeal to sympathy.

Yep.

And to be entirely honest, i can think of a number of things that have the same likelyhood of accidents (still phenomenally low when you think about it) i would attempt to do for a 20k scholarship.

What happens is tragic, but no one said you wouldn't get hurt playing physical sports. It's awful what happens to these playes, but keep in mind, over there lifetimes i believe they are all statistically more likely to be injured driving to the game then performing in it

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Huffer

Can't wait to see him in the World Juniors.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2012, 03:47 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Can't wait to see him in the World Juniors.
as long as he doesn't run our goalie.... ahh hell even if he does i'll still love him for it!

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote