HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Opinions on the WHA's reputation?

Old
01-04-2012, 12:57 PM
SealsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackNgold 84 View Post
I just took a general perusing of this thread but i was wondering.. is there a book/s or documentary on the WHA I've always to know how many teams there was and how long is was considered competitive?
There's a great book called "The Rebel League" by Ed Willes.

SealsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:05 PM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
I don't know if there are any books that document the WHA, however I can tell you there were many teams, and many of them folded as quickly as they sprouted.

When that occurred teams would just sell players to other franchises to recoup the losses. Wayne Gretzky is a perfect example of that, when he was pretty much sold to Edmonton by Indianapolis...
Thanks for the info.. I mean there are documentaries and books put out about the ABA I don't know why they could have done a book about the WHA.

BlackNgold 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 01:06 PM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
There's a great book called "The Rebel League" by Ed Willes.
Just read this now.. thanks a lot. I'll do an ol' google search for it.

Old
01-04-2012, 01:44 PM
SealsFan

There's another one I don't have, it's out of print, called
Red, White & Blues: A Personal History of Indianapolis Racers Hockey 1974-1979

Old
01-04-2012, 01:55 PM
SealsFan

Here's another book, just learned of it so can't vouch for how good it is:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Hockey-A...ref=pd_sim_b_4

Old
01-04-2012, 07:08 PM
WheatiesHockey

There are a few good books on the WHA. Mostly about the ups and downs leading to eventual merger in 1979-1980.
There is a lot of emphasis on the fly by night operations like the New York Raider, Denver Spurs teams failing to meet payrolls and so on.
The WHA unlike the NHL was not well capitalised enough to overcome franchise failures.
The NHL Phoenix Coyotes would have probably sunk to the bottom and folded in the WHA. Simply put, the WHA was not financially strong enough to prop up individual franchise misadventures. The NHL could survive and has been able to survive poorly run franchises in Atlanta, Colorado, Kansas City, Phoenix Cleveland and so on because they were the NHL.
The WHA as a league was not financially strong enough to worry about individual trouble spots that routinely cropped up.
One of the other issues that does not get much discussion is that the WHA more than toyed with the idea of truly being a world league with a European division. It was a far reaching revolutionary idea that never materialised.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:18 AM
nutbar

Another book, which I think came out about 10-15 years ago, is 'Big Bucks and Blue Pucks'. It has a bunch of ancedotes and WHA player bios and facts.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 03:25 AM
kaiser matias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SealsFan View Post
Here's another book, just learned of it so can't vouch for how good it is:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Hockey-A...ref=pd_sim_b_4
The guy who put that together also has this:

The Complete Historical and Statistical Reference to the World Hockey Association, 1972-1979

I got it for Christmas after using a library copy for my essay. It has every stat for the WHA possible, including draft records, game scores, player records, etc. Its the type of book people here would really enjoy. I imagine the other book is just as good. He sells both copies on his website: http://surgent.net/wha/ For what its worth the author of the books, Scott Surgent, is a professor of mathematics at Arizona State, so he's obviously not just a fan of the WHA, he has some idea of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
Another book, which I think came out about 10-15 years ago, is 'Big Bucks and Blue Pucks'. It has a bunch of ancedotes and WHA player bios and facts.
This is also pretty good. Like you said, its mostly ancedotes and short bios of players, but it does have a brief overview of the league at the start, and since it goes over something like 50 players, you see a more varied opinion on the league, not just the same repeated stories of Hull, Howe and Sanderson.

Last edited by kaiser matias: 01-05-2012 at 03:30 AM.
kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 07:11 AM
BlackNgold 84
Known Kellyist

Went on Amazon and got The Rebel League.. but i also found this

http://www.amazon.com/WHA-Chronicles...rec_04_03_t_lh

Its a DVD of WHA... seems pretty interesting by the people who left comments.

Old
01-05-2012, 08:28 AM
mbhhofr

Here's a link about the WHA that not only has articles, but also videos. The categories section links you to the teams.

http://www.whahockey.tv/2009/11/bann...-stingers.html

mbhhofr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Hockeynomad

Yes, Rebel League is a good read on the WHA.

Reading these posts and links, the WHA reminds me somewhat of a real Slapshot league.

I didn't know Harry Howell played. Didn't he retire in NHL in 1967?

Hockeynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2012, 01:04 PM
SealsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynomad View Post

I didn't know Harry Howell played. Didn't he retire in NHL in 1967?
He played for the Seals and Kings from 1969-70 through 72-73, then for the Golden Blades/Knights/Mariners and Cowboys in the WHA.

A great candidate for the "I can't picture so-and-so in that uniform" thread. Plus he played for two teams that had colored skates!!! (Golden Seals, Golden Blades)

Last edited by SealsFan: 01-06-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
01-06-2012, 01:34 PM
cam042686

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
The guy who put that together also has this:

The Complete Historical and Statistical Reference to the World Hockey Association, 1972-1979

I got it for Christmas after using a library copy for my essay. It has every stat for the WHA possible, including draft records, game scores, player records, etc. Its the type of book people here would really enjoy. I imagine the other book is just as good. He sells both copies on his website: http://surgent.net/wha/ For what its worth the author of the books, Scott Surgent, is a professor of mathematics at Arizona State, so he's obviously not just a fan of the WHA, he has some idea of things.

This is also pretty good. Like you said, its mostly ancedotes and short bios of players, but it does have a brief overview of the league at the start, and since it goes over something like 50 players, you see a more varied opinion on the league, not just the same repeated stories of Hull, Howe and Sanderson.
You can find my book on the 1974 Summit where Team Canada was made up of WHA players on Amazon as well. It is entitled "The Forgotten Summit".

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:44 PM
cam042686

I am a huge “WHA buff” and wrote on a book on the 1974 Canada/Soviet Summit where Team Canada was made up of WHA players. The book is entitled “The Forgotten Summit, A Canadian Perspective of the 1974 Canada Soviet Hockey Series.” You can find it on Amazon.com.

Many people on this thread have tried to compare the NHL and WHA. Here is what I’d say;

1. Overall the NHL had more depth. A fourth or fifth defenseman in the NHL would be a top 2 defenseman on most WHA teams. You saw that with players like Rick Smith and Paul Shmyr. A fifth or sixth “d man” on a WHA team would not make most NHL teams at all.
2. On most WHA teams the top 2 lines were NHL caliber. After that there was a drop off and in the cases of some teams a big drop off.
3. Most WHA teams had starting goalies who were NHL caliber. Now by that I mean they would make a NHL roster although not always as the number one goalie.
4. The best teams in the WHA over the years (New England, Houston, Winnipeg, and Quebec) would have been “all right” in the NHL if they entered in the NHL intact. We are talking playoff caliber teams who probably win a round or so. Do they win the Stanley Cup? No way – but outside of the Soviet Nationals nobody in hockey was beating Montreal in those years. I think the 1975-76-1977-78 Jets in particular would have been a handful for all NHL teams outside of Montreal, Boston and Buffalo to handle. Heck the Soviet Nationals who kicked the crap out of most NHL competition struggled to beat them.
5. We forget the NHL had some truly terrible teams in this era. I don’t believe any WHA teams were ever as bad as the 1973-74 Golden Seals, the 1974-75 Capitals and Scouts or the 1976-77 Red Wings to name a few.
6. By 1978-79 the best young talent was in the WHA – not the NHL. Think of it – Wayne Gretzky, Mike Gartner, Rick Vaive, Rob Ramage, Mark Howe (NHL teams had been salivating over him since 1973-74) Mark Messier were all in the WHA.

Just my two cents.

Craig Wallace

cam042686 is online now   Reply With Quote