- That was one of the uglier games I've seen this year; not that either team was bad (though we played better than Florida), but there was no flow and a ton of mistakes.
- Please send Keith Aulie to the Marlies until he learns that here, in this league, you can't crosscheck guys into the boards from behind. He also did it in the Buffalo game and took a penalty for it. Recall Mikus or Holzer in his place.
- Name me one top team where Carl Gunnarsson would be playing over 21 minutes a game? You can't. Not that he was particularly bad tonight (he did let the puck out on the PP a few times and had a bad pinch or two, and of course, Fleishmann's last goal...), but he's not a 21+ minute a night guy, those are #2 minutes; he's a 16-19 minute a night guy (#4 minutes). And he should be getting next to no powerplay time; he rarely gets his shot through and has troubles holding the line. I think with the emergence of Franson, that he (or Aulie) might be shipped when Liles and Komi return.
- What's going on with Dion? People think he's injured, but if he was we would know. I think he's tired. Dial him back to 23 minutes for a few games and reward Franson. Nice that he scored though.
- Oh, Optimus...you escape blame for that first goal, but the second and third goals were weak and 3 GA on 6 shots is inexcusable no matter how you slice it. You blew it, it seriously felt like the Toskala-Raycroft days there.
- Kulemin is a heap. Last year he was shooting and playing in the corners, and this year he does none of that. Yeah he's solid defensively, but we're counting on him for some points here. He can go in the package with Gunnar/Aulie, hopefully for an impact forward.
- Look Schenner, just because you did it once last year against Boston, doesn't mean it your job to try and make a rush and score, and of course you turned the puck over and they scored, and of course it was late in the 3rd with the team down a goal...******, ****** decision-making there.
- A few days after being rewarded with an extension (for just a year thankfully), Ron Wilson's team goes 1/3 on the penalty kill.
- You have to beat the team that's missing 4 of it's top-9 forwards.
- 3 Goats: 1) Reimer, 2) Aulie, 3) Schenn
And now, The Good:
- Kadri continues to make it happen almost every shift. Definitely gonna be a good player very soon.
- Grabo gets the monkey off his back and has a good game. Mac was also very good.
- Franson and Gardiner are our top two PPQBs...I don't know if I should be elated or let down. Franson especially was great tonight.
- Monster, even if that last goal was a little soft (yeah yeah, my man Gunnarsson deflected it but it was a weak shot from far out), you played great. Why is Reimer the de-facto #1 on this team? Why is Gus the automatic backup? I'd like to see each of them getting little to no rope and as soon as they falter, they take a game or get yanked. I think even though he's older, that Monster plays a much more athletic game than Reimer, and his glove is ten times better.
- 3 Stars: 1) Grabovski, 2) Franson, 3) Kadri
Phaneuf's injured. I know that for sure. I believe it's his knees. That agility from earlier the season is gone and he seems to be falling more often.
Well that sucked. Played well for large stretches, but our breakdowns and special teams cost us again. I think Gustavsson should start the next game. I didn't believe in him for a long time (for good reason), but he's been excellent for quite some time now, so we need him in net more often.
Phaneuf is massively overrated around here, The guy has so much holes in his game and doesn't even care about playing defence most of the times when he is clearly a defensemen. I love how in the 3rd period, he had all the time in the world to pass the puck one of Kessel, Lupul, Bozak etc when he had the puck on his stick for like 3 whole minutes, and kept running circles around circles around like he is in a figure skating competition.
The guy is tremendously talented, no doubt, but he has a far too much of a weak brain to understand the game to be an impactful d-man consistently.
The second PK goal was a seriously unlucky bounce. Aulie did the right thing, going down to block the cross ice pass, Gustavsson had the right idea moving cross crease, and even managed to drag his back foot to keep it along the post. Had Steeg not raised the puck high enough, it would have been a very athletic save. The PK goal on Reimer, on the other hand... meh.
Also, the absence of Liles was felt big time tonight. I really hope he gets re-signed before the season's done.
I too troll on the leafs all the time, but im going shed some light
all the mistakes that we made today could have been prevented?
1. Garinders Pinch (I know its his first season in the NHL, but remember the trade off is we have a defensemen that is going to be successful)
2. Schenn trying to be Orr (The guy is almost tops in the league in blocked shots and hits, when hes good, hes really good. Remember he too is also young and yes he has 4 years of experience, but hes still valuable)
3. The PK can't be horrendous forever (We all know the pressure thats on burkie since he resigned wilson, so im sure he'll make some moves to make it better)
4. We are very young team, and with young players there's tendency to get fancy and lazy etc etc. And that laziness becomes contagious throughout the line up
5. **** Dion Phaneuf. Guys a retard.
Remember we have the talent, its the attention to detail. I don't think its entirely Ron Wilsons fault, the guys on the ice make him look 'bad' (giveaways, not taking away shooting lanes, pinching at wrong times, lazy back checking) Im sure he gives everyone their assignments, they just fail to implement them.
Ryan Murray would be a perfect type of defensemen that this team requires. He would make so much improvement on our back-end and improve our horrendous PK. The guy probably has the highest hockey IQ I have seen in a 17 year old d-men I have seen in a long-time since Peitrangelo. He can do it all and can eat up minutes like a horse.
I really wish we could somehow move up in the draft and draft this phenom.
Someone threw him a lifeline by trying to guess what he meant and he grabbed it like a man at sea.
There's nothing wrong in having an opinion, but at least try to articulate it and be able to defend it.
As a few posters implied, defense is far from the best part of Phane uf's game, and is probably to much of a weakness (along with his mental acuity) for him to be a true #1.
I have explained myself, that was one hour ago and the people I was having the discussion with know this and have also moved on. It is you that does not want understand so you can run away with your beliefs of what you think I said.