HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Rangers vs. Capitals. 7:30pm. Verizon Center. 12.28.2011

Old
12-28-2011, 10:40 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Not two years ago, a two assist game from Alex lay somewhere between a meh and a disappointment.
And those same two assists are so much better than where he's been that we see it as a sign of hope that he's getting back to what he once was.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:42 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i am looking for goals from ov. thats it in a nutshell
So are defensemen. That's it in a nutshell.

Get used to more assists.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:44 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

vCash: 500
Sounded like we played pretty well listening to the Rangers radio cast (iPhone app that has all radio stations)
I really liked their announcers too. Very nonhomer, called out good and bad calls on both sides, immediately pointed out callahans kicking motion and that it should be reviewed and reversed.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:46 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

OV's on pace to be a $9mil 25G 60 point player, that's it in a nutshell.

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:52 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I believe he is still on pace for fewer points than he had goals a couple years ago.

Staggering.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:54 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Nice to see the old Caps tonight.

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 10:55 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:

Good summary IMO... You don't pay a guy 10M a year to be a threat to score 55 goals a year... You pay him that to do it; regardless of how threatening he looks

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:07 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
OV had a multi-point game, but he was still lethargic out there. He really needs to improve in the D zone, but that seems to be wishful thinking at this point. He also didn't really have any good scoring chances.
You need to re-watch the game. He was great.

Old
12-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
OV had a multi-point game, but he was still lethargic out there. He really needs to improve in the D zone, but that seems to be wishful thinking at this point. He also didn't really have any good scoring chances.

Side note, Halpern has done an admirable job being thrown into a top 6 role, but we really need a 2C.
What game were you watching?

...Did you miss him making Richards his *****?

i thought it was a good game by OV.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:18 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I have nothing to contribute about the actual game. I just have to ask why Alberto Del Rio's theme song was playing during one of the breaks in the game. It might have been the most random thing I've ever heard.

12-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Mothra

Quote:
i am not stuck on anything. lets remove 28 from the occasion. the two assists are nice. i am looking for goals from ov. thats it in a nutshell
to me its about winning....I agree in the big picture they need goals from 8. Tonight he was a big part of 2 points in the standings. A nice hit on Richards seperates him and the puck at the Washington blueline...quick transition goal. To my eyes he is taking the body more and playing the style more of what we are used to. If nothing short of goals from him is bad, then I dont agree. It has to start somewhere....during this off time it hasnt been just him not scoring....its been a lot of things combined. He was, and has been, more assertive with his play as of late....getting a few points too. For now, thats a good thing IMO. Hopefully a couple 2 goal games or a nice run starts. Im not holding my breathe....but again, it starts somewhere

This team wont win at all without better goaltending, thats a bigger concern now, and moving forward

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:35 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
You need to re-watch the game. He was great.
People have the mindset about Ovechkin and Semin that if they don't completely dominate the other team every second they're on the ice and make one mistake that can be latched on to, they're lazy and worthless. It's not going away. If Semin plays the exact same way he did today but shanks those shots people would line up to proclaim him the worst player on the ice. It's just the way it is.

Halpysback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
to me its about winning....I agree in the big picture they need goals from 8. Tonight he was a big part of 2 points in the standings. A nice hit on Richards seperates him and the puck at the Washington blueline...quick transition goal. To my eyes he is taking the body more and playing the style more of what we are used to. If nothing short of goals from him is bad, then I dont agree. It has to start somewhere....during this off time it hasnt been just him not scoring....its been a lot of things combined. He was, and has been, more assertive with his play as of late....getting a few points too. For now, thats a good thing IMO. Hopefully a couple 2 goal games or a nice run starts. Im not holding my breathe....but again, it starts somewhere

This team wont win at all without better goaltending, thats a bigger concern now, and moving forward
Great post!

Yeah, even thou TVo only let 1 in at times he looked shaky.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:00 AM
LetsGoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
Watch the Caps come out and play a hell of a game. That has been the pattern so far.
Yeah, called it again.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:13 AM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
What game were you watching?

...Did you miss him making Richards his *****?

i thought it was a good game by OV.
Yes he had a couple of moments, but he didn't play anywhere near the player he once was. I guess its gotten to the point where this type of game is passable. Defensive zone aside, he still fumbled the puck, struggled to find space, get shots on net, and made poor decisions on the point of the PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
People have the mindset about Ovechkin and Semin that if they don't completely dominate the other team every second they're on the ice and make one mistake that can be latched on to, they're lazy and worthless. It's not going away. If Semin plays the exact same way he did today but shanks those shots people would line up to proclaim him the worst player on the ice. It's just the way it is.
Don't know about Semin, but Ovechkin is certainly held to a higher standard. He's the highest paid player in the league, captain and face of our franchise; yet he's played like horse poo virtually all year. We should expect him to give it his all night in and night out, which hasn't been the case.

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:15 AM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
i couldnt see the game. i dont know what kind of assists they were.
i watched the replay on the first semin goal about 10 times. i'm still not sure how they gave an assist to Ovie on that one. i really don't think he even touched the puck before #19 did. he hit a defender, who coughed up the puck, and #19 sent it ahead to #28. maybe the puck nicked Ovie's ankle before sliding to #19, but boy, i don 't see it on the replay.

anyway, i'm glad to have him scrape up every loose point he can. anything which bolsters his confidence is welcome. i'm also happy at the prospect of 2 games in next 3 days. i am hoping team can play its way out of the funk. games, games, and more games. i was thinking the recent 2- and 3-day breaks between games would help them implement new DH system, whatever that means. but they don't seem sharp when they come back after 3 days.

go, Caps! i may be out of vCash, but i'm not out of hope.

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:23 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyerlaw View Post
i watched the replay on the first semin goal about 10 times. i'm still not sure how they gave an assist to Ovie on that one. i really don't think he even touched the puck before #19 did. he hit a defender, who coughed up the puck, and #19 sent it ahead to #28. maybe the puck nicked Ovie's ankle before sliding to #19, but boy, i don 't see it on the replay.
He hit the guy and it hits his skate in the process. No doubt about it.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:

anyway, i'm glad to have him scrape up every loose point he can. anything which bolsters his confidence is welcome. i'm also happy at the prospect of 2 games in next 3 days. i am hoping team can play its way out of the funk. games, games, and more games. i was thinking the recent 2- and 3-day breaks between games would help them implement new DH system, whatever that means. but they don't seem sharp when they come back after 3 days.

go, Caps! i may be out of vCash, but i'm not out of hope.
Im thinking that I heard that when Backstrom threw it up to Semin that it clicked off Ovechkin's skate. Not saying it did because I didnt see on the replay just remember hearing the announcers say something about it.

Cappy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Thats our hairtrigger fan base. Where pace is absolute and regular season wins don't matter, all the while regular season losses mark the end of the world. The funny thing though is it's not just us. Before Crosby got hurt again I saw Pens fans calling both Crosby and Malkin lazy after one of the three losses Crosby played in this year. And yes that was the exact word they used, "lazy."

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Brian23

I know he's not doing it, but lets just say Ovi was on pace for a hundred points with predominantly assists.

Would people still be *****ing? I don't care how many goals he scores. I care about how many goals he HELPS score or is apart of. Whether he scores them or not, it doesn't matter; the team still gets a point for it going in the net.

Brian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:08 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Congrats on the win guys.

Took us out of our game with your physicality and earned the win.

You guys look good at home. Not sure what the road issues are, but if you play like you did last night, the PO's are shoe-in.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:27 AM
denzey*

somebody knows the name of the song after semin scored the goal?

denzey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:36 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

alright bud, lets have it your way. ov is now an assist man.

* who's the finisher? ovechkin-backstrom was an elite duo. backstrom the elite passer and ov the elite finisher. now they are both passing to....who?

* backstrom is the playmaker. his contract says he is the playmaker. he make 30% less than ov. if 8 is not making up that difference with 50 goals or there abouts, how is he earning it?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:39 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

It will take patience to let Ovi and the coach adjust his game now that he is played differently than in his glory days. The glory days from when which he set the highest of standards for fans. If you thought he could bring that same ultra rumbustious physical game, along with his ultra shooting gallery ways, regardless of how teams defend him, and regardless of the league cracking down on him, so be it.

I can see that he is adjusting his game, becoming a team player. Standing up Richards leading to a goal, we didnt see that 3 years ago.

10 points in 13 games while learning a new system in less TOI, the PP in sucktitude, logging hits, seems good to me.

What's the standard for how many games a guy gets to re-invent himself? And Tex, it will take time for those around him to adjust too, and start getting into passing lanes, and shooting.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Roughing

Quote:
I think it did hit his skate but it's nothing new for a star player to be thrown a questionable assist every once in a while. OV at least helped to make that play. I've seen a few goals this year where the second assist was handed to a player clearly not part of the scoring play.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote