HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers vs. Capitals. 7:30pm. Verizon Center. 12.28.2011

Old
12-29-2011, 07:51 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
to me its about winning....I agree in the big picture they need goals from 8. Tonight he was a big part of 2 points in the standings. A nice hit on Richards seperates him and the puck at the Washington blueline...quick transition goal. To my eyes he is taking the body more and playing the style more of what we are used to. If nothing short of goals from him is bad, then I dont agree. It has to start somewhere....during this off time it hasnt been just him not scoring....its been a lot of things combined. He was, and has been, more assertive with his play as of late....getting a few points too. For now, thats a good thing IMO. Hopefully a couple 2 goal games or a nice run starts. Im not holding my breathe....but again, it starts somewhere

This team wont win at all without better goaltending, thats a bigger concern now, and moving forward
well, see....we are talking about two different things. right? i was talking about that there was nothing about the two assist game to back me away "from the edge" about ovechkin.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 08:50 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
I have nothing to contribute about the actual game. I just have to ask why Alberto Del Rio's theme song was playing during one of the breaks in the game. It might have been the most random thing I've ever heard.
I think its a Chipolte giveaway or something.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:02 AM
ReggietheSavage15

As long as the team is WINNING, I don't really care what Ovechkin does on the score sheet as long as he's putting forth 100% effort. Last night was an excellent all-around game from him. He was playing the body, hustling, and setting up his teammates. When he's flying down the wing w. the puck, he'll more often than not have a defenseman play close and the other D cheat towards the middle...all we need is another winger to complement that by hustling along the RW and look for a pass. We saw that last night on the Semin goal. Ovechkin CAN create for others...anyways, let's hope the team can build off of last night's W and carry it over to the next couple of games.

ReggietheSavage15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:14 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
well, see....we are talking about two different things. right? i was talking about that there was nothing about the two assist game to back me away "from the edge" about ovechkin.
Perhaps its not just the two assists? Maybe its the way he played as a whole... on the PP (at least the first PP), he was taking shots when he'd been hesitant to do so all year. His pass to Semin on the 2nd goal was a beauty. He came out hitting, which set the tone for the game. Look at how lopsided hitting was in our favor last night.

I don't get you. You say you didn't watch the game and you're here suggesting people shouldn't be excited about Ovi's 2 assists? If you didn't watch the game, how can you make that claim?

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:24 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I don't get you. You say you didn't watch the game and you're here suggesting people shouldn't be excited about Ovi's 2 assists? If you didn't watch the game, how can you make that claim?
Its txpd. Its what he does.

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:26 AM
DCRedhawk21

I'm still hurting from last night at the game (), but it was a hell of a game to go to:

- Nice to see MoJo break his goal slump
- Semin looked like a man possessed all night, watching the replay I like the look on his face after he scores, it looked like a "don't **** with me" face
- Brouwer missing that wide open net on the tick tack toe passing was , but he made up for it with his screen/goal, which is what he was brought here to do
- Still a little too much chasing the puck in the D zone

I've gotten pretty lucky with the games I've gone to this year:
- The 7-1 beating of Detroit
- Game vs. Phoenix... aka the rally balloon game
- Last night

Let's see if they can keep it up tomorrow... they owe Buffalo

EDIT: The team is now 4-0 with Jay Beagle in the lineup... just saying... haha

Last edited by DCRedhawk21: 12-29-2011 at 09:32 AM.
DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:27 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I am surprised if anyone isn't happy with Ovi's performance last night, and since Dale has taken over to be honest. He had the play of the game last night, standing up Richards like that. We beat a top team. He had hands in goals, he hit.

We can keep projecting his individual stats out but his individual stats have never been a bearing on overall team health. We have secondary scoring, we dont need him to score 50 to make the playoffs, nor for him to be a beast in the playoffs. Learn it, live it, know it, be it; and be patient as Dale tries to get Ovi and the team sorted out. There is no I in team. Ovi and Semin seem to be seeing that.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:31 AM
txpd

Quote:
i'm txpd. its what i do.

i am not alone in my opinion on this subject. i didnt say that what ov did was bad. i just said that it was not a signal to me that his goal scoring, which is the most important part of his game, is on the return based on that game.

thats all. its significant. if you are happy, thats fine with me.

Old
12-29-2011, 09:41 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am surprised if anyone isn't happy with Ovi's performance last night, and since Dale has taken over to be honest..
happy and satisfied are different. based on historical OV last night was a fine game.
2a, a big hit and a win against the hard working, yet low life rangers. this is based on 8 providing his usual production.

right now there is a gaping hole in Ov's scoring game. Its a major concern at least to me.

so, yes, i am happy with what 8 did last night. it did nothing, however, to quell my concerns that he will never be more than a 25-30 goal scorer again. in otherwords i fear our primary scorer has become our lead secondary scoring.

what further makes me uncomfortable is that the caps 2nd primary scorer everybody wants off the team, many at all costs. who is going to score for this team if backstrom is the lead goal scorer and semin is gone?

edit: there is no "I" in team. The $9.5m to $10m in his contract says something different.

Last edited by txpd: 12-29-2011 at 09:46 AM. Reason: edit
Old
12-29-2011, 09:46 AM
tycoonheart

That is how teams are defending Ovi right now. Everyone just converges on him. Seriously, I don't even see opposing teams do that to Crosby. Ovi gets every god damned attention from opposing players.

If Semin and Backie can step in and make some plays while Ovi spreads the puck around, he'll see that type of stuff less and less.

Also, tx, check out the highlight of last night's game on the nhl site. Ovi is littered through out the highlight and thats because he had a solid game (there is one horrible turnover by him in it too :p)

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
txpd

how many goals does stamkos have this season? he is scoring against the same defense.

like i said. it was a fine ov game. that does not diminish the fact that ovechkin is the caps top goal scorer and he is not anymore. this team will not be able to succede with ovechkin playing milan lucic's game. nothing about last night changes that.

Old
12-29-2011, 09:56 AM
Mothra

Quote:
I guess thats where we split on this.....I dont even see the ledge where you are looking down the ledge. Which is fine....im just not ready to write off a 26 year old player with 2 Harts.

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Mothra

Quote:
happy and satisfied are different. based on historical OV last night was a fine game.
2a, a big hit and a win against the hard working, yet low life rangers. this is based on 8 providing his usual production.

right now there is a gaping hole in Ov's scoring game. Its a major concern at least to me.

so, yes, i am happy with what 8 did last night. it did nothing, however, to quell my concerns that he will never be more than a 25-30 goal scorer again. in otherwords i fear our primary scorer has become our lead secondary scoring.

what further makes me uncomfortable is that the caps 2nd primary scorer everybody wants off the team, many at all costs. who is going to score for this team if backstrom is the lead goal scorer and semin is gone?

edit: there is no "I" in team. The $9.5m to $10m in his contract says something different.
he is 26 years old.....if you are that worried that he will never be a top goal scorer than I suspect you worry too much

Old
12-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Congrats on the win guys.

Took us out of our game with your physicality and earned the win.

You guys look good at home. Not sure what the road issues are, but if you play like you did last night, the PO's are shoe-in.
showing up fashionably late. The opposition score 3 or 4 before we exit the locker room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRedhawk21 View Post
EDIT: The team is now 4-0 with Jay Beagle in the lineup... just saying... haha
The Versus announcers actually mentioned that we play better with him in the line up and he is a good locker room guy.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
txpd

Quote:
I guess thats where we split on this.....I dont even see the ledge where you are looking down the ledge. Which is fine....im just not ready to write off a 26 year old player with 2 Harts.
ready to write him off? no. willing to consider that there is a serious problem in play?
sure. i use the ledge because it was used by someone else. i am not ready to write him off. i am ready to consider that the write have is a possibility.

how long are you comfortable watching ov work at a 25-30 goal pace before you have to consider that his old scoring game is lost? Its a season and a half now.

Old
12-29-2011, 10:18 AM
Mothra

Quote:
ready to write him off? no. willing to consider that there is a serious problem in play?
sure. i use the ledge because it was used by someone else. i am not ready to write him off. i am ready to consider that the write have is a possibility.

how long are you comfortable watching ov work at a 25-30 goal pace before you have to consider that his old scoring game is lost? Its a season and a half now.
I guess if I have to think about it in that way....if he scores less than low 30's this season and next I'll start to worry. Strong/poor playoff performance could change that a little.

you say its a season and a half...I look at a guy that was strong against the NYR in round 1....not MVP like, but I believe he had 3 goals in the 5 games. You know me....I dont really care that much about the regular season. As I have said for a few years now, the only real measure of success for this team comes in the spring....32 goals, 45 goals...they just need to make the playoffs, thats when it counts.

Old
12-29-2011, 10:36 AM
txpd

Quote:
I look at a guy that was strong against the NYR in round 1....not MVP like, but I believe he had 3 goals in the 5 games. You know me....I dont really care that much about the regular season. .
ovechkin scored 5 goals in last playoffs. you call that strong. i'd agree. semin scored 4 and arguably all but one was a critical goal and we all want him out.

i realize the playoffs are more important. reality is that ovechkin is payed based on his allstar.hart trophy.50 goal average regular seasons. his salary takes up a lot of salary cap space. if he were a $5m player, that other $5m could pay that 2c everybody wants so badly.

Old
12-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Mothra

Quote:
ovechkin scored 5 goals in last playoffs. you call that strong. i'd agree. semin scored 4 and arguably all but one was a critical goal and we all want him out.

i realize the playoffs are more important. reality is that ovechkin is payed based on his allstar.hart trophy.50 goal average regular seasons. his salary takes up a lot of salary cap space. if he were a $5m player, that other $5m could pay that 2c everybody wants so badly.
5 goals in 9 games, playoff games at that is a better pace than the 28 regular season pace you have been stuck on.....especially considering they played a d first team in NYR and then were swept in the next round. Maybe its not strong....but its not not weak either.

I dont think your reality and mine are the same....you say he is paid to load up on regular season awards and goals, I think he is paid to help bring a Cup to DC

Old
12-29-2011, 10:58 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:

That is how teams are defending Ovi right now. Everyone just converges on him. Seriously, I don't even see opposing teams do that to Crosby. Ovi gets every god damned attention from opposing players.

If Semin and Backie can step in and make some plays while Ovi spreads the puck around, he'll see that type of stuff less and less.
Good post. I think we have already seen the result of teams covering Ovi so heavily. Yep, getting secondary scoring. I guarantee if we had one player score all our goals, we would prance into the playoffs Ovi for Hart and get clobbered. You know its true.

Ovi has a full plate dealing with expectations to score all year long in the face of triple teams on every rush. I love Dale is focusing on the transition game, you can see Ovi starting to get a lot more 1 on 1s.

But you can also see teams starting to not key on him as much - Nashville I think it was. Credit secondary scoring. There is a fine line somewhere between one dude scoring all the goals, and being a SCORING TEAM which is much harder to defend.

I do see the LD's have gotten the memo to cover him tighter working the right side. But he has been driving wide left a lot more and going right around RDs. His offensive game has never looked so dynamic.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:05 AM
txpd

Quote:
I dont think your reality and mine are the same....you say he is paid to load up on regular season awards and goals, I think he is paid to help bring a Cup to DC
he is among the two or three best paid players in the game. if he is being paid to bring a cup, how is he doing?

iirc the caps acquired ward for his playoff chops. best i can tell he has found a spot next to semin and schultz and hamrlik as a failure.

Old
12-29-2011, 11:14 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

That picture shows why Ovi needs a RW with speed and forechecking ability... or stop having Ovi be the puck carrier as I suggested in the other thread.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:18 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

I thought they got Ward for his board work and defensive play. IMO he's been exactly what we expected. Semin has been a very different player under Dale and I'm certainly willing to give him until close to the deadline to be that player consistently. Hamrlik has looked much more decisive, comfortable, and confident in the past several games. I think he can play 15 minutes even strength plus PK. Orlov has looked best with Hamrlik as well IMO. Schultz has been more physical in the limited action he's seen since the coaching change, but I don't see that being permanent or his skating coming around to the level JJ wants.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:58 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
he is 26 years old.....if you are that worried that he will never be a top goal scorer than I suspect you worry too much
So just for the record, you see Ovy regaining form? Are you content with a 25g, 60pt $10 mil a year player from here on out?

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:02 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I am surprised if anyone isn't happy with Ovi's performance last night, and since Dale has taken over to be honest. He had the play of the game last night, standing up Richards like that. We beat a top team. He had hands in goals, he hit.

We can keep projecting his individual stats out but his individual stats have never been a bearing on overall team health. We have secondary scoring, we dont need him to score 50 to make the playoffs, nor for him to be a beast in the playoffs. Learn it, live it, know it, be it; and be patient as Dale tries to get Ovi and the team sorted out. There is no I in team. Ovi and Semin seem to be seeing that.
Until he's in form, this team isn't winning a Cup. You and Mothra can keep toting the glass is half full stance, but I think most realize this team isn't going that far with Ovechkin producing like he is. They need his best to win a Cup.

This isn't about individual stats as much as it's about your Superstar performing like he's paid to perform...aka "doing his job". BTW...I thought he was good tonight...standard puck fumbles aside.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Also, tx, check out the highlight of last night's game on the nhl site. Ovi is littered through out the highlight and thats because he had a solid game (there is one horrible turnover by him in it too :p)
Crosby sees defensive pressure like this, but he's adapted. The league has realized Ovy has become a puck coughing up, turnover machine when space is taken away from him. Until he adapts his game (or someone else on his line becomes a danger to the opposition), it's not going to change. Kuznetzov may be that guy...