HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Prospect Talk PART II

Closed Thread

Old
01-04-2012, 10:40 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Here to reinforce the sentiment of one of my fellow Sens fans. I was watching the draft from my phone and when the Islanders called Strome's name my heart sunk. I was really hoping he'd be ours and I think that Ottawa management had their eyes on him.

That said, he would be my pick as the best player for Canada in the tournament. Him or Mark Stone. Offensively dynamic, created a lot of havoc in the neutral zone with his deceptively quick stick, and was responsible in his own zone.

It might not be well received here, but I think that he has more offensive upside than Tavares because he'll be a better skater and faster. He doesn't have Tavares' hands down low, but Tavares doesn't have Strome's clapper either (which is just lethal.)
Thanks for the sentiments. Strome is having a good tourney and his development looks right on track. If Strome becomes a better player than Tavares, I will have absolutely no complaints.

As for the bolded above, the clap can be cleared up with antibiotics and no, I don't speak from personal experience.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:45 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
We're going to have a real nice mix of size and skill in the next couple of years as players like Sundstrom, Petrov, Kabanov, Nelson, and Lee join the likes of Martin, Nino, and Ullstrom supporting Tavares, Strome, Okposo, and Bailey.

That's twelve NHLers.

I'll stop there.

I just hope those "couple of years" are before 2015 so I can see them all play on Long Island for at least one season.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:01 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Started doing that after the Isles' prospect camp.
The website seems to think Sundstrom is only worthy of 15th best prospect the Islanders have.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:29 PM
bluechipbonzo

Kabanov with 1 g , 1 a in an 8-3 rout of Rimouski last night.

These were on the second on fourth goals of the game.

He also had two HS penalties...

Looking forward to catching KK live in a couple of weeks...

14g 15a for 29 points in 24 games played.

Old
01-05-2012, 01:52 PM
scott99

Quote:

Not exactly dominating, but decent production. Better than his first two seasons, but not elite-player type production. Which Kabanov was pegged as an elite prospect before coming over to North America.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:23 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Not exactly dominating, but decent production. Better than his first two seasons, but not elite-player type production. Which Kabanov was pegged as an elite prospect before coming over to North America.
Obviously can't disagree about the not dominating statement...however, points don't always tell the whole story...

There are plenty of players in the Q who will no doubt outscore KK this season, for one reason or another. And most of them will never play in the NHL!

Only a few of these same players match him in terms of size, and only a few match him in terms of ability- fewer still in the size and ability KK possesses...

More importantly, there are even less who will be playing and developing in the AHL next season.

This story is just getting started.

Old
01-05-2012, 03:30 PM
malPHONEY

Quote:
Obviously can't disagree about the not dominating statement...however, points don't always tell the whole story...

There are plenty of players in the Q who will no doubt outscore KK this season, for one reason or another. And most of them will never play in the NHL!

Only a few of these same players match him in terms of size, and only a few match him in terms of ability- fewer still in the size and ability KK possesses...

More importantly, there are even less who will be playing and developing in the AHL next season.

This story is just getting started.
With great "ability," that prospect should be dominating in points, especially in his 3rd season. And it's not like he is known for using his size.

Old
01-05-2012, 05:54 PM
pattyb91

Send a message via AIM to pattyb91
Quote:

I hope he's healthy by then...He got hit with a slap shot in the face and I think he's going to miss a bit of time.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:05 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
With great "ability," that prospect should be dominating in points, especially in his 3rd season. And it's not like he is known for using his size.
What about the prospects that produce insane points and don't amount to anything in the NHL?

Points are not the tell all tale.

Old
01-06-2012, 11:15 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
What about the prospects that produce insane points and don't amount to anything in the NHL?

Points are not the tell all tale.
Exactly...my post said as much...there are plenty of players who are above KK in the point standings, who will never even sniff the NHL, let alone the AHL...

The fact remains: KK is a unique talent that is still developing. He will get a shot in Bridgeport next year- there's no doubt...

But if you just go on points, I guess Getzlaf should be in the AHL this season...

Old
01-06-2012, 11:37 AM
scott99

Quote:
Exactly...my post said as much...there are plenty of players who are above KK in the point standings, who will never even sniff the NHL, let alone the AHL...

The fact remains: KK is a unique talent that is still developing. He will get a shot in Bridgeport next year- there's no doubt...

But if you just go on points, I guess Getzlaf should be in the AHL this season...
Listen, I appreciate your eagerness about our Russian prospects. But at this point in his career, KK should be totally dominating. There is nothing unique about his talent, there are tons of guys with similar or even better talent than KK. For it to be his 3rd season in the Q, a league that produces high scorers, he should at least be in the top 10 in scoring if he were an elite talent. I don't care if he was on the worst team, or keyed on every night, he should be tearing it up if he were an elite talent.

Hell, even Grigorenko, who is 2 years younger, in his first season in the Q, is doing way better than KK. Does KK have talent, yes he does, he's got above average hands and speed. Is he as good as his hype, not even close. I'm happy we have him as a prospect, but as far as talent goes, I think he falls behind Strome, Niederreiter, Petrov, Nelson and Lee when it comes to our forward prospects.

Old
01-06-2012, 05:43 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Quote:
Listen, I appreciate your eagerness about our Russian prospects. But at this point in his career, KK should be totally dominating. There is nothing unique about his talent, there are tons of guys with similar or even better talent than KK. For it to be his 3rd season in the Q, a league that produces high scorers, he should at least be in the top 10 in scoring if he were an elite talent. I don't care if he was on the worst team, or keyed on every night, he should be tearing it up if he were an elite talent.

Hell, even Grigorenko, who is 2 years younger, in his first season in the Q, is doing way better than KK. Does KK have talent, yes he does, he's got above average hands and speed. Is he as good as his hype, not even close. I'm happy we have him as a prospect, but as far as talent goes, I think he falls behind Strome, Niederreiter, Petrov, Nelson and Lee when it comes to our forward prospects.
If he was lighting it up, he would be on the Isles, just like Nino who "lit" it up last year.

Old
01-06-2012, 06:08 PM
KRM

Here's a lengthy interview with Sundström, worth a read.

http://www.wildwestsupport.se/newsar...news/?nid=2934

Old
01-06-2012, 06:13 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

I see what you did there.

If folks watched Kirill play then there would be no discussion here.

This is like saying John Tavares is underperforming because he isn't scoring over a ppg. You just have no clue what you are talking about going by a statsheet.

Playing with Chaput the past 2 years has seriously rubbed off on him. Chaput is a very aggressive forechecker, and since playing with him Kabanov has picked up some of that intensity.

Will he be an 80 point player? Maybe, maybe not... but I see a Russian who is willing to forecheck and will hold onto the puck and pass it as he is about to get hit in traffic... The typical joke with Russians is they have no heart, but this kid is just different.

Old
01-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:
Originally Posted by malPHONEY View Post
He uses his size all the time in the offensive zone, to protect the puck. He also uses his reach to dangle in tight areas. He can push the puck out FAR from his body and then use his soft hands to pull it back in. Many other players have to release the puck to pull such a move, not Kirill. Until you see it in action you will have no idea what I am saying, though. Also, he doesn't let defensemen corner him into the boards and give up on the play carrying it into the offensive zone.

I think if he had linemates with better offensive instincts he would score more. Chaput is good, but he is more of an all-around heart of a champion player - he is not a scorer. Kirill is a playmaker, although he is working on his shot this year.

Old
01-06-2012, 06:25 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post

This is like saying John Tavares is underperforming because he isn't scoring over a ppg. You just have no clue what you are talking about going by a statsheet.

Playing with Chaput the past 2 years has seriously rubbed off on him. Chaput is a very aggressive forechecker, and since playing with him Kabanov has picked up some of that intensity.

Will he be an 80 point player? Maybe, maybe not... but I see a Russian who is willing to forecheck and will hold onto the puck and pass it as he is about to get hit in traffic... The typical joke with Russians is they have no heart, but this kid is just different.
Hey BH, did you catch any of the WJC? What did you think of Strome?

Old
01-06-2012, 06:34 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

I did not watch the WJC - been busy with new job. Strome was my #2 prospect behind RNH. Don't understand all the stupid nitpicking over his game. People do not understand phrase "boom or bust"? :shrug:

People are perfectly justified wanting Couturier instead, though. Isles lack size, and we play in the biggest meanest division in the biggest, meanest conference!!! Strome would excel in the West, IMHO.

Old
01-06-2012, 07:30 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post

It would be nice if this was in English, most of us aren't Swedish.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:23 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

It says he respects his coach and likes his personality. He loves playing for the local team and has a great deal of pride and joy doing that. It says he takes hockey very seriously to the point of sacrificing some childhood experiences especially as a teenager in order to put in the hard work to become a skilled player.

It also discusses the style of play in the SEL vs. what he has seen in international play including his own style of play that is more North American. He points out that the style in the SEL is more cultural than maybe the best style of play, from what the players know how to play instinctively to what coaches feel secure teaching and playing.

Old
01-06-2012, 08:48 PM
KRM

Quote:
It would be nice if this was in English, most of us aren't Swedish.
New to the internet eh? Here you go: http://translate.google.com/translat...F%3Fnid%3D2934

Old
01-06-2012, 09:13 PM
islandermaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Hey BH, did you catch any of the WJC? What did you think of Strome?
i don't know if you only wanted his opinion, but i thought strome was very good. i watched every game and i can honestly say that i thought the kid stunk in the pre-competition and he also stunk in camp. when the real games began, the kid came to play.

i've read some comments on the boards where the kid was getting dissed for picking up secondary assists...hahahahaha! what a joke! strome started so many plays with his vision and other guys continued plays he started. so he should get no credit? talk about a bunch of rookie fans to write off his contribution as simply riding on the coat tails of his line mates! laughable! perhaps i shouldn't be that hard on those folks as a good portion of the media ignored the lad as well. oh well, you don't have to have the media pay attention to you in order to play good hockey and/or be a good prospect. he did and he is. this tournament showed that.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:26 AM
TeamKidd

I have been thinking alot about prospects, and the points they score. This whole Kabanov discussion...Petrov...Nino...Bailey. I really believe that when looking at prospects like Kabanov, its important to look at how well their game would translate to the pros.

The reason that someone like Martin is successful in the NHL, is not because he put up a pile of points in juniors....its because his game TRANSLATES well to the NHL. He can still do the same things he did in junior to score.....he has a big enough body and good enough hands and hockey sense to be successful. Its the same reason someone like ANDERS LEE will also be successful in the nhl. He's so big and strong, he'll still be able to bullrush a lot of NHL players...sorta like Milan Lucic...and score...Petrov, if he ever decides to come over...should also have the same success....ditto brock nelson.

...of kabanov, im not sure. I guess if the reports about his aggressive play are correct, then that is a good sign...

Old
01-07-2012, 09:46 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post

It sounds like Kabanov is working on the weaker parts of his game,which the isles would have encouraged him to do.

I would be unhappy with him if he was racking up pts and fans who regularly watch him play,we're reporting that he's easily muscled off the puck and cherry picks.

Old
01-07-2012, 09:47 AM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermaniac View Post
i don't know if you only wanted his opinion, but i thought strome was very good. i watched every game and i can honestly say that i thought the kid stunk in the pre-competition and he also stunk in camp. when the real games began, the kid came to play.

i've read some comments on the boards where the kid was getting dissed for picking up secondary assists...hahahahaha! what a joke! strome started so many plays with his vision and other guys continued plays he started. so he should get no credit? talk about a bunch of rookie fans to write off his contribution as simply riding on the coat tails of his line mates! laughable! perhaps i shouldn't be that hard on those folks as a good portion of the media ignored the lad as well. oh well, you don't have to have the media pay attention to you in order to play good hockey and/or be a good prospect. he did and he is. this tournament showed that.
Your opinion is very welcome.

Strome was very good. Made a lot of things happen and you can see he thinks the game really well. Always seemed to make the right play. I'm very happy with his progress, despite his 'disappointing' stats at Niagara. The game is not all about numbers.

Old
01-07-2012, 10:48 AM
IslesNorway

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post

Thanks!

Guy's still living at home - really gives you an idea of the youth of these guys

Closed Thread