HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-2012 Prospect Talk PART II

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 09:11 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

vCash: 500
Nice little article about our new golden boy, Ryan Strome.

http://thehockeywriters.com/future-watch-ryan-strome-2/

Old
01-09-2012, 09:53 AM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMputt View Post
Just read on Islanders point blank that DeHann injured his shoulder again. Getting worried about this kid.
That's okay, we'll just draft his little brother, who is coming along nicely here in Ottawa...

Old
01-09-2012, 11:20 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Nice little article about our new golden boy, Ryan Strome.

http://thehockeywriters.com/future-watch-ryan-strome-2/
good read, thanks for posting.

I don't think Strome or Nino are prospects to worry about. There's so much broken with this franchise but the prospects are NOT one of them.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:05 PM
HyeDray

Just did a quick review of a few of our prospects that might be a bit under the radar....

Brock Nelson: U of N. Dakota — 15g, 9a in 21 games

Andres Lee: Notre Dame — 14g, 8a in 22 games

Cacey Cizikas: Bport — 8g, 17a in 37 games

Aaron Ness: Bport — 2g, 12a in 37 games

Calvin de Haan: Bport — 2g, 8a in 32 games

Matt Donovan: Bport — 3g, 13a in 36 games

Kirill Kabanov: playing for Shawinigan Cataractes of the QMJHL — 14g, 16a in 30 games

Kirill Petrov: playing for Kazan Ak-Bars of the KHL — 11g, 9a in 38 games

Scott Mayfield: playing at U of Denver —* 2g, 2a in 21 games

Andrei Pedan: playing for the Guelph Storm — 6g, 13a in 33 games

Johan Persson: playing for Red Deer — 14g, 24a in 39 games.

This list of somewhat less mentioned players are all doing well. Of course the ones that are on particular interest are Donovan, de Haan, Ness and Cizikas as they are the closest to being "ready."

No one seems to be talking about Kabanov much, but his numbers are solid even though it is only the "Q." It will be very interesting to see what happens next season when he plays in the AHL (I think he will be allowed to play in the AHL by then)

I am equally still intrigued to see if Petrov makes the trek to North America after this season as his contract will be expired with the KHL. I would think Snow & Co. will make their pitch to get him here for training camp and signed to an NHL ELC.

Obviously what Nelson and Lee are doing is solid. But the question becomes — can it translate in the coming years to the AHL and NHL into something substantial?

The other impressive player on this list — and he impressed me during the early part of camp — Andrei Pedan. As a d-man he is showing he can put up points.

I also think Johan Persson could be a sleeper. Solid numbers for Red Deer.

We have 3 forward here that are playing at a point per game clip. That is pretty solid.

Last edited by HyeDray: 01-09-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old
01-10-2012, 05:46 PM
bluechipbonzo

Interesting article on the KHL and how typically corrupt and controlling the team owners are- or should we say gangsters. Petrov's Ak Bars Leopards are one such team mentioned:

“One guy I know, playing for the KHL team in Kazan, was arrested after the team had (marijuana) planted on him,” says Simpson, who now lives in Chicago. “They took him to jail, wanted to sweat him out, pressure him to agree to go back to Canada without getting paid.”

If this article doesn't fill you in just exactly what the players, and the NHL teams who own their NHL rights are up against here, then this is a must-read for you.

Petrov is playing out his last year, and like most hockey players around the world, dreams of one day playing in the NHL. Fans of the New York Islanders can take solace in the fact that Kirill has expressed his interest in one day fulfilling that dream.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...-the-game?bn=1

Old
01-10-2012, 05:49 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post
Interesting article on the KHL and how typically corrupt and controlling the team owners are- or should we say gangsters. Petrov's Ak Bars Leopards are one such team mentioned:

“One guy I know, playing for the KHL team in Kazan, was arrested after the team had (marijuana) planted on him,” says Simpson, who now lives in Chicago. “They took him to jail, wanted to sweat him out, pressure him to agree to go back to Canada without getting paid.”

If this article doesn't fill you in just exactly what the players, and the NHL teams who own their NHL rights are up against here, then this is a must-read for you.

Petrov is playing out his last year, and like most hockey players around the world, dreams of one day playing in the NHL. Fans of the New York Islanders can take solace in the fact that Kirill has expressed his interest in one day fulfilling that dream.

However, as someone has mentioned the potential work stoppage in the NFL could force Petrov to re-ink in Russia for more stability.

Old
01-10-2012, 09:23 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
^If a work stoppage in football could have THAT much of an effect on Petrov, we have bigger issues than we thought.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:12 AM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Anyone have any info on Anders Lee.... actually, has anyone seen him play the last month or two??

He had 80% of his points the first 7 or 8 games and has REALLY tailed off since...... The way he started off, i was thinking there may be a chance he makes the Isles next year out of camp........ now, not so sure....... what's his deal??

Old
01-11-2012, 11:47 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechipbonzo View Post

Snikies, that is professional hockey hell. I have to wonder why former NHL stars like Jagr and Yashin play(ed) there under such conditions, they were already very wealthy by any measure and id not need the money.

Old
01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
xECK29x

Johan Persson: playing for Red Deer — 14g, 24a in 39 games.

I really think we need to talk more about this kid, I feel he is a real sleeper pick for us. Has anyone seen him first hand?

Old
01-11-2012, 01:07 PM
HyeDray

That is some eye-opening article.

Guys like Petrov, who may not know what it is like in N.A. may just think that this is what it is — its like this everywhere.

Have to wonder why any one — particularly players who are N.A. born — would want to subject themselves to that kind of criminality.

Russia is one place I have no desire to set foot in. A real shame. I am sure there are parts of it that are quite lovely, but it is hearing this kind of **** that makes me want to never set foot there. But long seems the history of Russia.

Shame!

Last edited by Homeland Security: 01-11-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: edited profanity.
Old
01-11-2012, 05:12 PM
JKP

Bring your own toilet seat... And you think our rink is bad... Yikes. You assume it's bad in the KHL, but hearing the stories brings it to life.

Old
01-11-2012, 07:21 PM
LAIslanderFan

Just a thought. Does anyone expect the Islanders to have a shot at a lottery pick? I honestly don't think they'll have a shot at any of the top 5 picks. I would guess the next tier, 6-9.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:03 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
Just a thought. Does anyone expect the Islanders to have a shot at a lottery pick? I honestly don't think they'll have a shot at any of the top 5 picks. I would guess the next tier, 6-9.
If you miss the playoffs you go into the lottery so yes, I think they will have a lottery pick.

Old
01-11-2012, 11:49 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
If you miss the playoffs you go into the lottery so yes, I think they will have a lottery pick.
My bad. I meant a shot at the first pick, meaning they won't be in the bottom 5. The Devils got lucky last year. I doubt the Islanders will be so lucky.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Anyone have any info on Anders Lee.... actually, has anyone seen him play the last month or two??

He had 80% of his points the first 7 or 8 games and has REALLY tailed off since...... The way he started off, i was thinking there may be a chance he makes the Isles next year out of camp........ now, not so sure....... what's his deal??
Saw the game against Minnesota last Saturday. He was fairly active, but not in any way dominating or hugely impactful. You see him out there and he's busy, just not necessarily the go-to guy I thought he was becoming. I do think he scored the first goal though - or was that in the test game against the Red Stars? Offensively, he's REALLY slowed down since his big start, but he's still getting ice time, so he could get back in the groove any time now...

The guy who looked REAL good Saturday was Detroit's Riley Sheahan. Darn, that boy had some hands.

Old
01-12-2012, 12:41 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
In my second half predictions, I pointed out that they'll have the 6th pick before the lottery.

Don't know who might sneak in there, but with Yakupov, Grigorenko, Forsberg, Murray, Dumba, and Trouba looking like top 7 guys, I'd have no worry about seeing the team pick 6th.

Old
01-12-2012, 05:55 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Saw the game against Minnesota last Saturday. He was fairly active, but not in any way dominating or hugely impactful. You see him out there and he's busy, just not necessarily the go-to guy I thought he was becoming. I do think he scored the first goal though - or was that in the test game against the Red Stars? Offensively, he's REALLY slowed down since his big start, but he's still getting ice time, so he could get back in the groove any time now...

The guy who looked REAL good Saturday was Detroit's Riley Sheahan. Darn, that boy had some hands.
Lee HAS cooled off but he had an insane start.
Still second on ND in scoring, and 1st in goals with 14.
He lost his centerman T.J. Tynan to the U.S. WJHC team for a while, an adjustment he had to deal with. Now, wiith the team back together, we will see how he deals with the balance of the season. I expect we will see a strong run by him leading up to the NCAA championships, a long way to go.

Old
01-12-2012, 10:53 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeDray View Post
That is some eye-opening article.

Guys like Petrov, who may not know what it is like in N.A. may just think that this is what it is — its like this everywhere.

Have to wonder why any one — particularly players who are N.A. born — would want to subject themselves to that kind of criminality.

Russia is one place I have no desire to set foot in. A real shame. I am sure there are parts of it that are quite lovely, but it is hearing this kind of **** that makes me want to never set foot there. But long seems the history of Russia.

Shame!
Reid Simpson offered an Islander coaching job?

Old
01-12-2012, 11:15 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by *********** View Post
Reid Simpson offered an Islander coaching job?
Chose the place where there is no toilet seats over being an Islander coach. Priceless

Old
01-12-2012, 06:04 PM
ndgolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Lee HAS cooled off but he had an insane start.
Still second on ND in scoring, and 1st in goals with 14.
He lost his centerman T.J. Tynan to the U.S. WJHC team for a while, an adjustment he had to deal with. Now, wiith the team back together, we will see how he deals with the balance of the season. I expect we will see a strong run by him leading up to the NCAA championships, a long way to go.
Most casual fans assume it is Tynan setting the table for Lee, when in fact Lee has over twice as many first assists to Tynan over the last two years! For the record in the two games ND played without Tynan. Lee had two goals against BU in a 5-2 win New Years Eve, and had another two nights later against Russia in a 2-1 win. Against the Gophers Coach Jackson split up Lee and Tynan to match Lee's line against the gophers top line of Bjugstad, Rau and Budish. They held this line pointless 5v5. Lee still managed 7 shots for the game and was big on the penalty kill. There is a huge misconception that Lee needs Tynan. Its interesting to see fans perception of a player when they look only at the box score.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
bluechipbonzo

Kabanov with a helper last night in a 4-1 win over future Memorial Cup opponent St. John's...a statement win if there ever was one.

After being snubbed from the world juniors, Kabanov will be able to finally play on a big stage...looking forward to it.

Old
01-13-2012, 02:48 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgolden View Post
Most casual fans assume it is Tynan setting the table for Lee, when in fact Lee has over twice as many first assists to Tynan over the last two years! For the record in the two games ND played without Tynan. Lee had two goals against BU in a 5-2 win New Years Eve, and had another two nights later against Russia in a 2-1 win. Against the Gophers Coach Jackson split up Lee and Tynan to match Lee's line against the gophers top line of Bjugstad, Rau and Budish. They held this line pointless 5v5. Lee still managed 7 shots for the game and was big on the penalty kill. There is a huge misconception that Lee needs Tynan. Its interesting to see fans perception of a player when they look only at the box score.

I think they BOTH need one another, each are limited players.

Tynan is great at carrying the puck, passing, generating offensive chances but is small, not strong or physical.

Lee isn't the best skater or puck-handler (but not bad) but goes to the net really well and has pretty good hockey sense.

They are like Marc Savard and Milan Lucic.

I think Tynan will have a tougher time making the NHL than Lee, even though he's talented. I'm not sure he's talented enough to overcome his deficiencies but he'll have time to develop that.

Lee, on the other hand, he can be a bottom six player even if he can't play in the top six. Because he's got NHL size/strength, can skate well and has above-average hands/hockey sense, he can hopefully develop into an effective NHL player.

I see Lee as a Matt Martin type, some will see more but I hope Lee can make the NHL because players like that are hard to find and can be really effective in the NHL, especially on this small, soft NYI team.

Old
01-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Original Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goaljudge View Post
Chose the place where there is no toilet seats over being an Islander coach. Priceless
Guess he figured it's better than working for an organization headquartered inside a toilet bowl and with s***tty management and employees.

Old
01-13-2012, 10:34 PM
PWJunior
That's what we do.

Pretty good night for some of our prospects in the CHL.

Kabanov with 1g 2a in a 8-2 Shawinigan win.

Strome with 1g 1a in a 5-2 Niagara win.

Closed Thread