HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquiring a Defensemen

Closed Thread

Old
01-24-2012, 11:33 AM
phillyfanatic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
WHen the hell did Weber win the Norris trophy?
Sorry, I meant to say he is HAVING a Norris Trophy year, not coming off a Norris Trophy winning year. But, the point is the same. He was 2nd last year, see previous post.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:46 AM
Codith

Would give up JVR for Weber, but couldn't and wouldn't want to throw in Couts or Schenn.

JVR/Carle/1st 2012/AHL prospect

Maybe something built around that if even that could get it done.

Carle+JVR's contracts next year would probably come close to that of Weber's new contract. Lock him down for 5-6 years and have a perm replacement for Prongs (who I figure is finished at this point)

Old
01-24-2012, 11:50 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Schenn for JVR prolly still in play....

Quote:
Kevin McGran via twitter: There were 13 scouts at the Leafs – Islanders game last night, including 2 from the Oilers and Flyers Don Luce.

Old
01-24-2012, 11:57 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I had to laugh at the TSN panel listing JvR as one of the forwards potentially available at the trade deadline. Way to extrapolate a half-baked rumour of him going for a top Dman into Holmgren hanging a price tag around his neck.

Old
01-24-2012, 12:00 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I don't know, but something tells me there just aren't gonna move JVR unless it's for a huge piece. Just my gut feeling. I wouldn't move him at all actually. I like our young team going forward. There is basically four players driving our average age up, Kimmo, Briere, Jagr, and Pronger.

Shelley and Lilja don't count because I don't consider them "players".

Old
01-24-2012, 12:05 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I don't know, but something tells me there just aren't gonna move JVR unless it's for a huge piece. Just my gut feeling. I wouldn't move him at all actually. I like our young team going forward. There is basically four players driving our average age up, Kimmo, Briere, Jagr, and Pronger.

Shelley and Lilja don't count because I don't consider them "players".
Me, too. I just don't like our team going defense. And that's why someone like JvR should be considered as an attractive centrepiece to address this problem.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:29 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Weber is NOT a UFA, he is an RFA and he is a legit top D-man in the league. He is the favorite to win the Norris this year according to NHL.com. He almost won it last year (Lidstrom's 736 points were just nine better than Weber's total, making it the tightest for first place since 1996).

So, we get the guy who is in the running with Lidstrom for the Norris at 26. And he is 6'4 234 with the best shot in the NHL. He is a true quarterback for the PP and a top defensive defenseman in the league, physical, captain material, ranked the #11 most valuable player in the league on TSN's top 50 for 2011-2012.

I will give a lot to get him. A L-O-T!!!!!!!!
He's RFA for another year, but there is no guarantee he would sign an extension. He could wait for arbitration again and sign a one-and-done.

On top of that, giving up JVR, Voracek AND Meszaros is way too much, even for a good player like Weber. He's only human. He got bumped down the Team Canada depth chart by Pronger, and he's fully capable of getting deked and undressed on the ice, as he was last week when Kesler left him looking for his jockstrap.

I'm not convinced Suter or Weber are going to be worth the trouble, and I'm certainly not paying two top calibre wingers, plus, plus for them, when Suter will be UFA and Weber might be next year, when Kimmo's money comes off the payroll.

Pass.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Brozgalov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilkka Sinisalo View Post
i would throw a brick through a window if we made that weber trade.
Unrelated, but I am assuming your avatar is from "There Will be Blood," in which case you are pointing out that the character looks exactly like Sergei Bobrovsky, in which case I love you...

HAHAHA Awesome.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:46 PM
Kaktus*

What is the main difference between Luke Richardson and Luke Schenn?

Skating? Schenn a bit better when it comes to scoring?

For those that remember older Luke when he was younger. 20 year younger.

Old
01-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb5064 View Post
Unrelated, but I am assuming your avatar is from "There Will be Blood," in which case you are pointing out that the character looks exactly like Sergei Bobrovsky, in which case I love you...

HAHAHA Awesome.
Eyes: opened.

01-24-2012, 02:23 PM
smitty10

Just wondering why Bartulis hasn't been up at all this year. From what I've seen he's a good NHL defenseman, but he hasn't played in the NHL at all this season.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Schenn or Aulie moved to the Flyers as you guys seem to be in need of a young, defensive defenseman.

Old
01-24-2012, 02:28 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Just wondering why Bartulis hasn't been up at all this year. From what I've seen he's a good NHL defenseman, but he hasn't played in the NHL at all this season.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Schenn or Aulie moved to the Flyers as you guys seem to be in need of a young, defensive defenseman.
didnt have a good camp, so they sent him down and since he has to go through waivers, we won't re-call him

and no, he isnt that good of a defenseman. we have better options

Old
01-24-2012, 03:54 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
didnt have a good camp, so they sent him down and since he has to go through waivers, we won't re-call him

and no, he isnt that good of a defenseman. we have better options
I think hes a lot better then people give him credit for. I'm pretty sure hes been injured most of the season as well?

Old
01-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I think hes a lot better then people give him credit for. I'm pretty sure hes been injured most of the season as well?
True, Bartulis has been injured this year, and was last year. I've always liked him, but when we really needed him last year, he got hurt. Just bad timing. The org. felt the need to sign Lilja because they didn't see Oskars as a reliable option for 6/7 D.

Unfortunately, he's stuck in the AHL now, because we can't risk recall waivers. If I had to bet, I'd say he's likely to be offered in a package soon, just to give him a chance to play somewhere else.

Old
01-24-2012, 04:45 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
True, Bartulis has been injured this year, and was last year. I've always liked him, but when we really needed him last year, he got hurt. Just bad timing. The org. felt the need to sign Lilja because they didn't see Oskars as a reliable option for 6/7 D.

Unfortunately, he's stuck in the AHL now, because we can't risk recall waivers. If I had to bet, I'd say he's likely to be offered in a package soon, just to give him a chance to play somewhere else.
Agreed. Depending on how he has been doing since he returned from injury (havent watched any games after he has returned), I can maybe see it being added into a trade right before the deadline. He is honestly not THAT bad of a player, but I do think his upside is maybe a #6.

Old
01-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

I think all of us are on the same page, that this team donīt win it these year... So why should we throw in important pieces for the next seasons to improve this season.

IMO we need to add future skill. It donīt hurt if a new player has the skill to improve us now. But he must be signed more than this season, because of the Pronger situation. Or we will loose him when Pronger is back on the Salary.

As i mentioned before, i canīt believe the Suter and Weber thing is a good way to follow. Let the whole league fight about the two and overpay after a bidding war. Take other Options like we do it with Meszaros when all of the leagues top teams wants Michalek and Hamhuis.

Maybe McBain from Carolina is an Option. Maybe someone who isnīt in the talking. But maybe we can make a steal because the whole league is facing the Nashville Boys!!

And the second part of the solution must be the next two draft periods!! We see how good a draftee can be. Couturier is the fast solution. Imagine what a Player like him would cost on the market... IMO we should trade for draft picks in the next draft and rely on these team for this playoff run.

Just my Opinion!

Old
01-24-2012, 04:51 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
And the second part of the solution must be the next two draft periods!! We see how good a draftee can be. Couturier is the fast solution. Imagine what a Player like him would cost on the market... IMO we should trade for draft picks in the next draft and rely on these team for this playoff run.

Just my Opinion!
I'm sure I am reading this wrong but are you suggesting trading Couturier for Picks?

Old
01-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Codith

I think he means drafting someone like couturier is a quick solution.

When it comes to D prospects the majority of them take way longer to develope, so it wouldnt be a quick solution as it would with a player like couts

Old
01-24-2012, 05:01 PM
bryzgalovsky*

put couturier on defense

yeah i said it earlier and i stick by my statement

Old
01-24-2012, 05:05 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post
put couturier on defense

This makes absolutely no sense at all. You can try to talk yourself into believing this is a good idea, but that would never work. The kid plays a defensive center pretty damn well, that doesn't mean it transitions to actually playing as a defenseman.

Why change the kid thats been playing that position for his whole life? Maybe a d-man should step his game up to the next level and as a team the play can be better.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:10 PM
bryzgalovsky*

there is no other way the defense will improve

nobody's going to step up and suddenly play amazing, we are not getting another defenseman until free agency next off season, and with half a season left we might possibly lose someone else to injury

Old
01-24-2012, 05:14 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryzgalovsky View Post

nobody's going to step up and suddenly play amazing, we are not getting another defenseman until free agency next off season, and with half a season left we might possibly lose someone else to injury
How do you know we want acquire a d-man at the deadline? Pretty sure if another d-man goes down it would definitely force Homer to trade for a d-man. Again the Flyers wouldn't move Couts to defense in any situation. Even if one defender gets hurt in a game, they would roll with 5 and address the situation after the game. I don't think I remember the last time a foward was asked to play on the back end for a long stretch of time.

Also maybe our team defense would improve if our 5.6 million dollar goalie could stop a beach ball.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:16 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
How do you know we want acquire a d-man at the deadline? Pretty sure if another d-man goes down it would definitely force Homer to trade for a d-man. Again the Flyers wouldn't move Couts to defense in any situation. Even if one defender gets hurt in a game, they would roll with 5 and address the situation after the game. I don't think I remember the last time a foward was asked to play on the back end for a long stretch of time.

Also maybe our team defense would improve if our 5.6 million dollar goalie could stop a beach ball.
the flyers can't get anyone worth getting and if anything they want to wait and sign free agents rather than giving up schenn or jvr for someone who is here for a year and walks away

i meant the injury could happen after the trade deadline meaning we'd be forced to play lilja/walker/marshall

oh and yes bryzgalov sucks so does bobrovsky

Old
01-24-2012, 05:19 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 50
Quote:
put couturier on defense

Quote:

1. Awful idea, man. It just doesn't work that way.
2. Homer will make a trade before the deadline.

Old
01-24-2012, 05:21 PM
bryzgalovsky*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
1. Awful idea, man. It just doesn't work that way.
2. Homer will make a trade before the deadline.
uh yeah it can work that way and no he won't make a trade unless its one of our good young forwards for an average/slightly below average defensemen

nobody else is available

Closed Thread