HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Acquiring a Defensemen

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2012, 09:22 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
A significant roadblock to dealing for a Weber or Suter is that too many question marks remain with Pronger.
This is true. Another problem is that Nashville is in a playoff spot at the moment. Unless they somehow completely falls apart, I don't see them dealing their star players before the deadline. Making the playoffs is very important for a franchise in their situation, and they have to show both their present and potential fanbase that they are trying to win.

Maybe Suter doesn't want to re-sign with them, but if so he'll be available after the season is over la Hamhuis two years ago. Unless someone overpays like hell to get him before that.

I think guys like Gleason and Beauchemin are more likely targets for us, for this season. Then we can make a pitch for Suter in the summer, if he doesn't end up staying with Nashville after all, and maybe someone else too if Pronger won't be able to play.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:30 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
This is true. Another problem is that Nashville is in a playoff spot at the moment. Unless they somehow completely falls apart, I don't see them dealing their star players before the deadline. Making the playoffs is very important for a franchise in their situation, and they have to show both their present and potential fanbase that they are trying to win.

Maybe Suter doesn't want to re-sign with them, but if so he'll be available after the season is over la Hamhuis two years ago. Unless someone overpays like hell to get him before that.

I think guys like Gleason and Beauchemin are more likely targets for us, for this season. Then we can make a pitch for Suter in the summer, if he doesn't end up staying with Nashville after all, and maybe someone else too if Pronger won't be able to play.
I could see Nashville trading Weber or Suter regardless of playoff position. They are a good team but I don't think they seriously think there is a Cup coming this season. I think if an adequate offer came by they'd trade one to improve in the future rather than the now (unless they also believe they can sign both players in the offseason).

Old
01-08-2012, 09:41 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I could see Nashville trading Weber or Suter regardless of playoff position. They are a good team but I don't think they seriously think there is a Cup coming this season. I think if an adequate offer came by they'd trade one to improve in the future rather than the now (unless they also believe they can sign both players in the offseason).
I don't think they really believe that either, but they have to show that they are trying. If they can't get Suter back, I think they'll be very active in the summer. They intend to spend money next year.

As I said, if they trade either Weber or Suter during this season, I think it is because a team severly overpays.

Old
01-08-2012, 09:49 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I'm pretty sure Holmgren won't make a big move for a Weber or Suter until after the season when he and his management group can assess who will be staying and who they can afford to move. As well, people need to realize that as long as Nashville remains in contention for the playoffs in the West, they're not going to be too apt to move Weber or Suter either.

The Flyers do need to make a move though because Timonen is getting killed out there and none of the other guys seemed to have step their games up to another level. And that's a shame because with Pronger being out, this was an opportune time for a guy like Carle or Meszaros or Coburn to really step up and show that they could help lead this defense going forward and they haven't.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:01 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'm pretty sure Holmgren won't make a big move for a Weber or Suter until after the season when he and his management group can assess who will be staying and who they can afford to move. As well, people need to realize that as long as Nashville remains in contention for the playoffs in the West, they're not going to be too apt to move Weber or Suter either.

The Flyers do need to make a move though because Timonen is getting killed out there and none of the other guys seemed to have step their games up to another level. And that's a shame because with Pronger being out, this was an opportune time for a guy like Carle or Meszaros or Coburn to really step up and show that they could help lead this defense going forward and they haven't.
While none of the three has stepped up to the point that you could say that they've taken it to the next level, or something like that, I have to give some credit to Carle. When I first saw that they paired Bourdon with him I thought it was gonna be a complete trainwreck, but they've held up admirably most nights and a lot of credit for that has to go to Carle.

Meszaros and Coburn can both play better, but I think they've been a little more physical the past couple of games, something that's been lacking somewhat previously. Meszaros has also begun joining the rush a bit more, sometimes it's great but he has to be a little more careful I think. Especially if he's teamed up with Gustafsson in the future.

I agree that we should make a move for a defender though. While Bourdon and Gustafsson are showing that they are capable defenders, I doubt it will hold up to have them both on the ice come playoff time. (Before all injuries set in and we call on Lilja and Walker...)

Old
01-08-2012, 01:50 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Pronger is smart enough to realize that an injury that jostled him to this extent is enough to reevaluate his career. Im pretty confident that he never plays again.

That being said, I wouldnt be surprised if he came back for the playoffs this year too.
I wouldn't be surprised if Pronger did hang them up further to the lingering effects of his accumulated injuries. However, Pronger's announced retirement automatically sinks a pretty big cap hole in this team for the next few years.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:29 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I think holmgren has pretty much stated that we wont be going the way of buying into UFA's which fill key positions anymore. I can see us making a minor deal on a defensive defenseman without giving up anything significant.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Pronger did hang them up further to the lingering effects of his accumulated injuries. However, Pronger's announced retirement automatically sinks a pretty big cap hole in this team for the next few years.
Pronger won't hang them up officially. It will be unofficial and he will still collect his paycheck.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:38 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
LTIR

Old
01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I think holmgren has pretty much stated that we wont be going the way of buying into UFA's which fill key positions anymore. I can see us making a minor deal on a defensive defenseman without giving up anything significant.
Yeah i say we just get gleason for a 3rd/4th and a prospect and be done with it.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

the Lengthy tropical island relaxation.

Old
01-08-2012, 02:50 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Circle OneTimer View Post
Yeah i say we just get gleason for a 3rd/4th and a prospect and be done with it.
I hope so.

Old
01-08-2012, 04:40 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Easier said than done. Rutherford has already stated that he won't be making any moves until closer to the deadline. Makes sense too because that's when a player's value is at it's highest. Gleason and Beauchemin are probably the two big prizes at the deadline this year (go figure that one out).

I know I was talking with a couple of my scout friends today and they said the one name to keep an eye on is Jay Bouwmeester in Calgary. The Flyers wanted him before and there's a belief that Feaster just wants to get the contract off his hands and would be willing to accept a package of expiring contracts and draft picks to get rid of him. I know some aren't high on Jay, but I think he could make a real difference here.

Old
01-08-2012, 05:26 PM
tuckrr

Thoughts on taylor doherty?
Could really benefit from pronger ...

Old
01-08-2012, 06:01 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Quote:
Easier said than done. Rutherford has already stated that he won't be making any moves until closer to the deadline. Makes sense too because that's when a player's value is at it's highest. Gleason and Beauchemin are probably the two big prizes at the deadline this year (go figure that one out).

I know I was talking with a couple of my scout friends today and they said the one name to keep an eye on is Jay Bouwmeester in Calgary. The Flyers wanted him before and there's a belief that Feaster just wants to get the contract off his hands and would be willing to accept a package of expiring contracts and draft picks to get rid of him. I know some aren't high on Jay, but I think he could make a real difference here.
He has a huge contract... If we take him our chances of signing anyone big over the summer are out the window and pronger would have to be placed on the LTIR

Old
01-08-2012, 06:04 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

God I hope not. The cap hit is a killer and he is one soft dude. Plus he has a no trade clause. We do not need a blockbuster deal here. Gleason I like a lot. And you know he would love to sign a deal to stay here.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

I'd be all about getting J-Bo. I wanted him when the rumors were kicking a couple years ago and still think he is better than he is playing up in Calgary. I don't know how we'd make room for him though. CapGeek says the Flyers can add a little under $4 mil in salary at the deadline. I don't know how the conversions and daily rates and stuff works, but I just don't see how they could do it. Carle maybe?

EDIT: I just did the trade using their trade calculator and I did Carle and Shelley (just to get his contract off the books) for J-Bo and it would put the Flyers about a million over the cap. Not sure if that calculates LTIR and stuff like that or if guys like Lappy, Betts, and Pronger are still counting toward the cap.

Old
01-08-2012, 06:05 PM
Codith

Jay? **** no

Flames would have to give us picks for us to take away that garbage contract

Old
01-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Left Circle OneTimer

Actually Jay bo is sounding kind of appealing now. Whats the chances we can get rid of Bryz for him? i mean Kiprusoff is getting up with age...

Old
01-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Prongo
Beer

I am tired of opposing players not having to pay for crashing our net... We need to get a physical dman immediately.

Old
01-08-2012, 10:43 PM
boodangleroo28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I am tired of opposing players not having to pay for crashing our net... We need to get a physical dman immediately.
Was thinking the exact same thing while watching the game today, even a bad defensemen like carkner out there instills fear in our fowards. There is no price for opposing forwards to pay when they crash our net and it is pathetic....

Old
01-08-2012, 11:29 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Jay Boob?

**** no.

Old
01-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Actually Jay bo is sounding kind of appealing now. Whats the chances we can get rid of Bryz for him? i mean Kiprusoff is getting up with age...
Haha, it's all wishful thinking, but no one will take Bryz and his contract. Oh, and there's also that whole NMC thing that complicates matters. Basically, game over.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:37 AM
2minutes4slashing

Beauchemin was born to be a Flyer , plays with that nasty edge. Get em

Old
01-09-2012, 12:48 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodangleroo28 View Post
Was thinking the exact same thing while watching the game today, even a bad defensemen like carkner out there instills fear in our fowards. There is no price for opposing forwards to pay when they crash our net and it is pathetic....
And this is why, for all the good he does, I'm not a big Carle fan.

Closed Thread