HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acquiring a Defensemen

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2012, 12:59 AM
WeekendAtBernies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
And this is why, for all the good he does, I'm not a big Carle fan.
I think this is the wrong attitude to have. Carle is an offensive defenseman that is 6'0 205... it's not his job to be overly physical.

If you're looking for someone to be angry at that there's always guys parked in front of our net, try Braydon Coburn... he's 6'5 220, a defensive defenseman, doesn't add much offensively... he's the one who should be clearing the front porch. Meszaros @ 6'2 225 should be clearing the front porch too.

Old
01-09-2012, 01:02 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I am tired of opposing players not having to pay for crashing our net... We need to get a physical dman immediately.
yeah the only guy who has some kind of mean edge is Coburn. but he doesnt have that mean edge nearly enough. i think Bourdon tries to be that guy, but he just isnt capable of it.

Old
01-09-2012, 05:55 AM
dats81

Personally, I think that the whole uncertainty about if and when Pronger may play again hurts them more than losing Prongs for the time being.

Homer has already proven that he can't manage the cap space very well and right now they don't even know whether they will need to go for a proven Nr1, prospect, or physical 3rd pairing guy.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Mota

I am all for getting Gleason or Beauchemin...or even both. If they moved Carle...they could probably get a couple picks and/or prospects back...which they could use with the picks they already have to get both of them. It would also save them a couple mil in cap space in case they wanted to bring in a vet forward or something.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:20 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Pronger won't hang them up officially. It will be unofficial and he will still collect his paycheck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener
LTIR
The point I'm trying to make is that it cannot be assumed that Pronger will agree to 5 more years of "will he or won't he?" LTIR. It's easy for us to say that he will just play the game of not officially retiring and the Flyers gain wiggle room. Laperriere did, but it wasn't for nearly as long as Pronger's contract and, face it, Chris Pronger does what is good for Chris Pronger. On the surface, that will probably mean picking up a paycheque for the next 5+ years, but maybe Pronger wants to turn the page, get his number off Panaccio's speed-dial, and settle into the next stage of his life. None of us can know what he will decide.

This is, of course, assuming that Pronger cannot make a comeback.

Old
01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodangleroo28 View Post
Was thinking the exact same thing while watching the game today, even a bad defensemen like carkner out there instills fear in our fowards. There is no price for opposing forwards to pay when they crash our net and it is pathetic....
I agree. The Flyers needed a great shut-down defenseman for large parts of the 3rd period yesterday to better distribute the minutes and eliminate Lilja's awful D.

Old
01-09-2012, 03:00 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
I agree. The Flyers needed a great shut-down defenseman for large parts of the 3rd period yesterday to better distribute the minutes and eliminate Lilja's awful D.
I would add a physical presence right now just to start giving opposing forwards something to think about. Sens crashed the net and just pushed their way into Bryz's lap all game. One point Neil took about 5 whacks at Bryz without getting moved out.

I would make a move for a guy like Sutton (i know he is suspened) right now, make Lijla their 7th dman and keep Gus or Bourdon up based on who is playing better. Closer to the trade deadline make a move for Gleason or Beach or even Zanon.

Sutton immediatley give this team someone that naturally plays with a nasty edge. Coburn and Mez are great when they play with that edge but they don't always bring it.

Coburn - Kimo
Carle - Mez
Sutton - Gus/Bourdon

then at the deadline...

Coburn - Kimo
Carle - Gleason/Beauch
Sutton - Mez

Old
01-09-2012, 03:51 PM
TheLegendkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I would add a physical presence right now just to start giving opposing forwards something to think about. Sens crashed the net and just pushed their way into Bryz's lap all game. One point Neil took about 5 whacks at Bryz without getting moved out.

I would make a move for a guy like Sutton (i know he is suspened) right now, make Lijla their 7th dman and keep Gus or Bourdon up based on who is playing better. Closer to the trade deadline make a move for Gleason or Beach or even Zanon.

Sutton immediatley give this team someone that naturally plays with a nasty edge. Coburn and Mez are great when they play with that edge but they don't always bring it.

Coburn - Kimo
Carle - Mez
Sutton - Gus/Bourdon

then at the deadline...

Coburn - Kimo
Carle - Gleason/Beauch
Sutton - Mez

Like it. Our d this year basically reverted back to 09...without all the defensive forwards.

Old
01-09-2012, 04:09 PM
FlyerFire

For a CHEAP, bottom pairing big stay at home defenseman, how about Fraser from Anaheim. On waivers now?? Just a thought

Old
01-09-2012, 06:58 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I am tired of opposing players not having to pay for crashing our net... We need to get a physical dman immediately.
I was just thinking the same thing, it's a bit ridiculous how the other team just almost does whatever they want around Bryz/Bob, this team needs someone or more than one person to instill that fear that makes forwards think twice about going to those areas

Old
01-09-2012, 08:24 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

It's true.

On the replay I saw Jason Spezza distracting Bryz with a limited edition of Cosmos by Carl Sagan.

We can't let them camp out near him.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Gilligans Island

Just saw this thread - any interest in Douglas Murray? We'd want Simmonds. I don't know who has to add. Probably the Sharks.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:23 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The point I'm trying to make is that it cannot be assumed that Pronger will agree to 5 more years of "will he or won't he?" LTIR. It's easy for us to say that he will just play the game of not officially retiring and the Flyers gain wiggle room. Laperriere did, but it wasn't for nearly as long as Pronger's contract and, face it, Chris Pronger does what is good for Chris Pronger. On the surface, that will probably mean picking up a paycheque for the next 5+ years, but maybe Pronger wants to turn the page, get his number off Panaccio's speed-dial, and settle into the next stage of his life. None of us can know what he will decide.
This post is dead on. Pronger doesn't strike me as a huge company guy that will stick around on LTIR just to help out a team he barely played for in his career. Also have to keep in mind, Pronger's contracts only pays him 525,000 in each of the last two years. Certainly possible, maybe even probable, that Pronger decides that small salary isn't worth him going through the motions of pretending to make a comback.

Old
01-09-2012, 10:39 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Just saw this thread - any interest in Douglas Murray? We'd want Simmonds. I don't know who has to add. Probably the Sharks.
could be a fair deal, but i don't think the Flyers would have any interest in trading simmonds. he's a perfect 2nd/3rd liner, who brings a lot to the table and can play well in all situations, and is on a good contract. i see him being here for a while.

while murray is a good solid defensive d-man, he doesn't bring much else to the table. he's definitely not worth simmonds, IMO

Old
01-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
This post is dead on. Pronger doesn't strike me as a huge company guy that will stick around on LTIR just to help out a team he barely played for in his career. Also have to keep in mind, Pronger's contracts only pays him 525,000 in each of the last two years. Certainly possible, maybe even probable, that Pronger decides that small salary isn't worth him going through the motions of pretending to make a comback.

You are forgetting that the Flyers often sweeten the pot for LTIR players with jobs. Hatcher got a player development job. Same with Lappy as well as studio appearances and he just did color for the phantoms outdoor's game. If Pronger wants a career in hockey after his playing days are done, Philly will give him a chance while he is on LTIR.

Old
01-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
could be a fair deal, but i don't think the Flyers would have any interest in trading simmonds. he's a perfect 2nd/3rd liner, who brings a lot to the table and can play well in all situations, and is on a good contract. i see him being here for a while.

while murray is a good solid defensive d-man, he doesn't bring much else to the table. he's definitely not worth simmonds, IMO
Yeah, figured the Sharks would have to add. How about Murray + 2nd? Close?

Old
01-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Codith

Lubomir Visnovsky, anybody?

Old
01-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Wouldn't mind him but would be scared to see the asking price on him.

I really don't think the Flyers want to trade Schenn or JVR so they won't be offered for anyone i'm starting to think. Of course I could be wrong

Old
01-09-2012, 11:58 PM
Codith

If the ducks are having a fire sale, maybe he could be snagged without giving away a ton.

Old
01-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Prongo
Beer

not to sure about that... If I remember correctly he was in the running for a Norris trophy last year? He is valuable and very under rated. Gonna cost a good amount I think. I wish they would just give him to us haha

Also Vis has another year on his contract... I think the Flyers might try to land Suter as a UFA and that would hurt their chances significantly.

Last edited by Prongo: 01-10-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old
01-10-2012, 02:31 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post
For a CHEAP, bottom pairing big stay at home defenseman, how about Fraser from Anaheim. On waivers now?? Just a thought
I doubt him being any better than Bourdon right now. No exactly a veteran either.
Would be a gamble...

Old
01-10-2012, 06:02 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerFire View Post
From what I remember from his Devils days, he is pretty much in Matt Walker territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Yeah, figured the Sharks would have to add. How about Murray + 2nd? Close?
Murray is probably the most overrated Swedish player, at least here in Sweden, but I would think long and hard abot that trade. I would hate to lose Simmonds though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
I'd rather try to get Suter in the off season, but Visnovsky is a quality defender. Is Anaheim really looking to move him, though? Seems a bit strange to me.

Old
01-10-2012, 08:19 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
unless the reason is because teams are asking for too much, there is absolutely no excuse for Homer to have not acquired a defenseman yet

no reason for both Bourdon & Lilja to be dressing regularly for this team.

Old
01-10-2012, 08:50 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
unless the reason is because teams are asking for too much, there is absolutely no excuse for Homer to have not acquired a defenseman yet

no reason for both Bourdon & Lilja to be dressing regularly for this team.
I completely disagree. There is no need to make a panic move. I commend his patience, for once. He gave some kids a chance and it's been fine.

We've already been down the road of panic trades for defenseman and seen how it worked out. See: injuries to d-men, trades for Alberts and Carle, players come back from LTIR, mad scramble to get under cap, trades are made to solely shed cap space, players are waived, top prospects are sent down (Giroux) even though it's undeserved because we have no room, next thing you know, we are signing guys off the street to ATOs in the middle of a playoff run.

Patience. Patience. Unless the team starts playing horrendously for a stretch of time, let's see what the market dictates.

Old
01-10-2012, 09:07 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I completely disagree. There is no need to make a panic move. I commend his patience, for once. He gave some kids a chance and it's been fine.

We've already been down the road of panic trades for defenseman and seen how it worked out. See: injuries to d-men, trades for Alberts and Carle, players come back from LTIR, mad scramble to get under cap, trades are made to solely shed cap space, players are waived, top prospects are sent down (Giroux) even though it's undeserved because we have no room, next thing you know, we are signing guys off the street to ATOs in the middle of a playoff run.

Patience. Patience. Unless the team starts playing horrendously for a stretch of time, let's see what the market dictates.
Agreed 100%. I'm usually *****ing about how impatient Holmgren is, so I like this approach.

Closed Thread