Notices

AMHL vs BCMML: Which is better?

Old
12-28-2011, 03:42 PM
pckstpr31

vCash: 500
AMHL vs BCMML: Which is better?

Hi Guys,

Pretty much what the title asks. Between the two leagues, which is the better one? I looked at some past Telus Cup Winners and couldn't even find the last time that a BCMML team one, if they ever have. Is there a clear cut better league, or are they pretty much the same?

Thanks Guys!

pckstpr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pckstpr31 View Post
Hi Guys,

Pretty much what the title asks. Between the two leagues, which is the better one? I looked at some past Telus Cup Winners and couldn't even find the last time that a BCMML team one, if they ever have. Is there a clear cut better league, or are they pretty much the same?

Thanks Guys!
Bc top end teams have a big advantage over alberta as their are no borders as their is in alberta. overall i think alberta is likely better/deeper

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 04:00 AM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alybaba View Post
Bc top end teams have a big advantage over alberta as their are no borders as their is in alberta. overall i think alberta is likely better/deeper
This is completely false. OP was asking about the BCMML, and there most certainly are borders in effect. Maybe you were thinking of teams like POE and OHA, which are hockey "schools"... they don't compete in Major Midget.

I would agree that AMHL is better, some of that has to do with how many kids in BC leave minor hockey to play in the BCHL (generally considered the best Jr A league in Canada). If this is a BC hockey vs Alberta hockey thread, i have no opinion and no interest in participating in an unprovable internet dick measuring contest.

Many hockey people consider the SMHL the best midget league in the west. Maybe due to Notre Dame's presence (bringing in out of region talent), and less other options for local talent, and the level of local support for many of the teams. In some Saskatchewan towns playing for the local SMHL team is second only to the WHL. That dynamic just doesn't exist in BC, not sure about Alberta but plenty of talented Alberta kids have gone to the AJHL or academies like the Edge school.

and FWIW, the BCMML has only existed for 6 years, so any historical analysis of who won which Telus Cup has to take that into consideration.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Sammy*

I thought teams like Burnaby & North Shore Winter Club have players from all over?

Old
12-29-2011, 01:18 PM
pckstpr31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
This is completely false. OP was asking about the BCMML, and there most certainly are borders in effect. Maybe you were thinking of teams like POE and OHA, which are hockey "schools"... they don't compete in Major Midget.

I would agree that AMHL is better, some of that has to do with how many kids in BC leave minor hockey to play in the BCHL (generally considered the best Jr A league in Canada). If this is a BC hockey vs Alberta hockey thread, i have no opinion and no interest in participating in an unprovable internet dick measuring contest.

Many hockey people consider the SMHL the best midget league in the west. Maybe due to Notre Dame's presence (bringing in out of region talent), and less other options for local talent, and the level of local support for many of the teams. In some Saskatchewan towns playing for the local SMHL team is second only to the WHL. That dynamic just doesn't exist in BC, not sure about Alberta but plenty of talented Alberta kids have gone to the AJHL or academies like the Edge school.

and FWIW, the BCMML has only existed for 6 years, so any historical analysis of who won which Telus Cup has to take that into consideration.

Thanks for the help, I didn't realize that the BCMML was that young. Also, kind of hard to answer because I would guess there is no clear cut advantage to a certain league, but out of the AMHL,SMHL and BCMML is there one that does a little better with goaltenders?

Thanks again

pckstpr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Rocko604
#NotMyBruins

Quote:
I thought teams like Burnaby & North Shore Winter Club have players from all over?
They do, however they don't play in the BCMML.

It should be noted though that the zone for the Vancouver Northwest Giants include both BWC and NSWC.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
They do, however they don't play in the BCMML.

It should be noted though that the zone for the Vancouver Northwest Giants include both BWC and NSWC.
Ah, I see. Im in Alberta & see them come here for tourneys so assumed that they played in that league. Always thought that having teams where there is no borders in a tourney creates not that even a playing field.

Old
12-29-2011, 10:11 PM
Rocko604
#NotMyBruins

Quote:
Ah, I see. Im in Alberta & see them come here for tourneys so assumed that they played in that league. Always thought that having teams where there is no borders in a tourney creates not that even a playing field.
Yeah they're usually both strong in Bantam AAA and Midget A1 because they can take anyone from anywhere. I think BWC's Bantam AAA was at the Western Championships last year.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:44 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
Yeah they're usually both strong in Bantam AAA and Midget A1 because they can take anyone from anywhere. I think BWC's Bantam AAA was at the Western Championships last year.
Its actually kinda suprising to me that Alberta/Sask & Manitoba teams can even compete with them, given the huge advantage they have at the Bantam AAA level.

Old
12-30-2011, 03:11 AM
timekeep

Most of Alberta's best players are playing in the WHL or AJHL, just like any other province I would imagine. It is quite surprising how many Midget aged players are playing in the AJHL.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2013, 04:45 PM
burtA

There is a break down of each league on Junior Hockey Leagues.net...

BCMMHL - http://juniorhockeyleague.net/bcmmhl/
AMHL - http://juniorhockeyleague.net/amhl/

burtA is offline   Reply With Quote