HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Gauthier silencing Gomez?

Old
12-28-2011, 04:14 PM
old scotia

vCash: 500
Is Gauthier silencing Gomez?

With recent posts of the Habs secret society and silencing people. Gomez must have been asked to zip his mouth until they move him. His groin has to be healed by now.

old scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Etienne

And what exactly would he say? He's been given all the ice-time he could want before his injury. Groin injuries are a ***** to deal with because you have to be sure they're 100% healed before letting a player back on the ice. Otherwise, 1 bad movement and Gomez would be back in the infirmary. As useless as he is in the line-up, he's even more useless in the press box while his salary eats up a significant portion of the cap.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
Groin injuries are a ***** to deal with because you have to be sure they're 100% healed before letting a player back on the ice. Otherwise, 1 bad movement and Gomez would be back in the infirmary.
...then do it!

Go Gomez! SKATE, SKATE, SKATE!!!

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Free Gomez 2012

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:35 PM
shamrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post
With recent posts of the Habs secret society and silencing people. Gomez must have been asked to zip his mouth until they move him. His groin has to be healed by now.

I have my doubts about this rumor because i find it hard to believe a gm wants him at this point.

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:45 PM
HockeyF3ind

For those who question Gomez's trade value.

Remember next year his actual salary is 5.5M next year and 4.5M the year after. which means Gomez enables a team to hit the salary floor and actually spend 2 million less of actual dollars next year, and almost 3 million the next year.

That fact and his career of relative decent play I think might be enough for some team to scoop him up for a bag of pucks.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

Having somebody take Scott Gomez from us would be the best thing since the last guy that was able to unload Gomez to some sucker.

...DOH!

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:51 PM
OneSharpMarble

Moving Gomez would be a harder job than moving Theodore which was the last disaster.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:51 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post

Remember next year his actual salary is 5.5M next year and 4.5M the year after. which means Gomez enables a team to hit the salary floor and actually spend 2 million less of actual dollars next year, and almost 3 million the next year.

That fact and his career of relative decent play I think might be enough for some team to scoop him up for a bag of pucks.
And he's also a guy who has less goals than Cam Ward and will still be getting paid $10 million for the next two years.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:56 PM
HeShootsHeScores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
And he's also a guy who has less goals than Cam Ward and will still be getting paid $10 million for the next two years.
Too tempting not to highlight the fact gomez doesn't have a goal yet this season.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 04:58 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

This thread title calls for a Gif...

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:08 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Moving Gomez would be a harder job than moving Theodore which was the last disaster.
Another Gainey **** up. Thankfully he managed to fix that one.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:09 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

He should silence himself if he wants to keep playing, here or somewhere else.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Lafleurs Guy

I'd be silent too if I was making 7+ mil and was being outscored by Cam Ward.

Then again, if I was making 7+ mil, I don't think I'd care...

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:30 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
This thread title calls for a Gif...
If the Habs can somehow trade Gomez, this would be my happy dance

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:34 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:

I think we are all aware of that theory but i still don't see it holding water unless Gomez can prove between now and then that he can actually play at the NHL level.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
I think we are all aware of that theory but i still don't see it holding water unless Gomez can prove between now and then that he can actually play at the NHL level.
Best case for the habs is he plays the last 40 games and can put up 28-30 points.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Even if a GM were looking to pad the payroll Gomez is not a player performing well enough to be valuable to the roster, but I just don't see GM's making these type of considerations and decision. I think the attractiveness of this type of player is an urban myth with fans. Nobody will touch Gomez with a 10 foot pole.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Even if a GM were looking to pad the payroll Gomez is not a player performing well enough to be valuable to the roster, but I just don't see GM's making these type of considerations and decision. I think the attractiveness of this type of player is an urban myth with fans. Nobody will touch Gomez with a 10 foot pole.
+1 Good post.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:22 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Agreed.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Maybe not for a GM but it would be attractive for an owner. You spend 10 mil and get 14.7 in cap hit, that's potentially 4.7 mil in your pocket.

Old
12-28-2011, 06:35 PM
pine
irregistered user

#FreeGomez

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:36 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Maybe not for a GM but it would be attractive for an owner. You spend 10 mil and get 14.7 in cap hit, that's potentially 4.7 mil in your pocket.
I don't see it happening in any scenario, teams are rarely this desperate to get to the floor and when they are looking to get to the floor there contracts or players close to their value available. Gomez would be overpaid by 4.5 million even at 5.5m. No GM or owner is going to want him. He might get moved, but it will be for someone else's lesser junk, nothing else. This scenario gives Gomez no increased value, he's a negative no matter how you try to spice it up.

Owners would sooner sign their own players to inflated contracts then purposely look for garbage like this.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:40 PM
BLONG7

Where is Gomez? Is he in Florida with the team, at home skating on his own?

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I don't see it happening in any scenario, teams are rarely this desperate to get to the floor and when they are looking to get to the floor there contracts or players close to their value available. Gomez would be overpaid by 4.5 million even at 5.5m. No GM or owner is going to want him. He might get moved, but it will be for someone else's lesser junk, nothing else. This scenario gives Gomez no increased value, he's a negative no matter how you try to spice it up.

Owners would sooner sign their own players to inflated contracts then purposely look for garbage like this.
Were you not paying attention when Florida signed a bunch of guys to bloated contracts to get to the cap floor?

If Gomez plays like a 50-60 point guy, which is not a huge stretch if you give him a new start, he's worth 4.5-5 mil easily(look at what Fleischmann and Leino got last summer). So you get 2 mil in your pocket by not having to spend it.