HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

It's Friberg time

Old
12-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Ribban

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
Facts: Crowd was anti-Sweden in this game. Friberg shut them up. Crowd cried about it. End of.
This!
<EOT>

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:40 PM
Szechwan
Plug Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish your Czech View Post

he's canadian
Pffff. This is just proof that the Canucks have been classless since their inception.

I for one, thought it was awesome. God forbid someone bring a bit of personality into hockey.

Szechwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Fehr Time*

I remember the 2004 tourney I believe when Steve Ott was doing the 'otter slide' more than a couple times and the Canadian announcers thought it was cute/fun. Going after Friberg is mpredictable but much ado about nothing.

Fehr Time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:51 PM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli J View Post
Unfortunately this line of logic, while not without its merits, doesn't make Friberg any less of an asshat. I wouldn't even care so much in the NHL, where the parity between teams is relatively close, but in this International tournament with such astoundingly different tiers of competition, it's just embarrassing.

And before you hide behind the logic that this makes Canadians hypocrites, I don't like it when my team blows anyone else out or does any jumping pileup celebrations on a 9-0 goal late in the 3rd.
So on that note, and your own logic... this was a shoot out... that changes anything in terms of your parity point?!

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:53 PM
ffenliv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szechwan View Post
Pffff. This is just proof that the Canucks have been classless since their inception.

I for one, thought it was awesome. God forbid someone bring a bit of personality into hockey.
No kidding. The fans I can see with a bit of booing - that's just part of 'being there' a lot of the time. But the tempest in a teapot now ... stupid.

I liked that Mrazek celebrated the penalty shot save, I liked that the crowd gave it to him, and I liked that he fist-pumped again. It's *great* to see some personality from players, and some fun from the crowd.

ffenliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:13 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Friberg was just in TSN and he said, "I just do the celebration and everyone got mad about it, so I will do it no more."

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Dosing

Hope everyone going on about this are proud of themselves

Another example why so many countries are talked of as thirdworld countries compared to scandinavia.

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:40 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

TSN is going to discuss the stick ride now. This should be interesting. I was upset at the time, now I think it is kind of funny. I have to admit, though, my first reaction to that kind of stuff is to punch the person in the face. Goes back to my playing days.

Edit: still waiting to see what the panel says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dosing View Post

Another example why so many countries are talked of as thirdworld countries compared to scandinavia.
It's ironic that you are dealing with an overreaction (admittedly) by REALLY overreacting. Way to move the crazy that much higher up the bar.

Old
12-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Dosing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
It's ironic that you are dealing with an overreaction (admittedly) by REALLY overreacting. Way to move the crazy that much higher up the bar.
It's in the same spirit no matter how you look at it, sad but true, most humans haven't changed much.

Old
12-29-2011, 06:52 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harikkerk View Post
Jesus, why do you even fkin care.......Kid was happy, he didn't mean to upset he crowd or the swiss bench.

I'm not suprised if there's a ******** of talk in Canada about this now.
I can talk about this rationally if you can, and I will try to explain.

Most of us are taught at a very young age in hockey that one of the worst things you can do is to show up the other team. Basically, it is the ultimate BAD thing you can do as a player.

I'd like to say it is because of sportsmanship, but I think it has as much to do with the idea of karma, or the fear of it. There is nothing worse than giving a team extra motivation to whip your butt the next time you play, and people NEVER forget that kind of stuff. I remember things like that from 30 years ago and who did them to me.

There really isn't that much talk about it in Canada. Like I said, once it sinks in a little, it's much ado about nothing.

Old
12-29-2011, 06:58 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Okay, they talked about it. Swiss coach didn't like it. Duthie liked it.

Bob Mac said Swedish hockey players are the nicest players in the world, but once in awhile they do or say things that are out of character. Talked about Forsberg in 1993 saying Canada wasn't anything special.

Then brought up that Sweden has not won this tournament in a long time, which suggests (although he didn't out and out say it) what I was getting at with my karma comment.

Not a big deal either way. They didn't give it much attention really. Talked about Friberg's skill mostly.

Old
12-29-2011, 06:59 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:

Quote:
It's in the same spirit no matter how you look at it, sad but true, most humans haven't changed much.
Lol, what an absolute tool.

My problem was the timing. There are times when over the top celebrations are somewhat acceptable but to ride your stick when you scored the second shoot out goal against a team that Sweden should have beat easily in the preliminary round is just totally unnecessary. Its not like he just scored an OT winner in the semifinals, he scored a preliminary round shoot out goal against Switzerland.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:06 PM
Dosing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post

My problem was the timing. There are times when over the top celebrations are somewhat acceptable but to ride your stick when you scored the second shoot out goal against a team that Sweden should have beat easily in the preliminary round is just totally unnecessary. Its not like he just scored an OT winner in the semifinals, he scored a preliminary round shoot out goal against Switzerland.
You know what ridiculing an argument and then aimlessly repeat the already explained issue says about a persons self-insight?

Old
12-29-2011, 07:10 PM
Harikkerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfan46 View Post

Again, he's young, he scored a (pretty much) winning goal. And he didn't think before doing it.

I'm sure he will never do it again! PLEASE don't hurt him!

Harikkerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:23 PM
fredligh

Rather cheer for a country known for inappropiate celebrations then a country known for cheapshotting.

fredligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:45 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredligh View Post
Rather cheer for a country known for inappropiate celebrations then a country known for cheapshotting.
Hey, don't hate on the Russians like that.

The winners are always the best at cheapshots, plus they buy the refs. This is old news.

Old
12-29-2011, 10:32 PM
Rob

To the Swedes - It was an IIHF referee who gave him the misconduct. Not the Canadian crowd.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:42 AM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
Friberg was just in TSN and he said, "I just do the celebration and everyone got mad about it, so I will do it no more."
And the fun killers have got yet another victim. They even got to Ovechkin eventually

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:24 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
To the Swedes - It was an IIHF referee who gave him the misconduct. Not the Canadian crowd.
To the Canadians - No one is caring about the misconduct. Only you guys.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:26 AM
dr-nix
Beware of the Bunny!

This entire thing has been blown out of proportion, i doubt very much Friberg thought that the celebration would cause any fuss.

Was that ignorant/stupid of him? Perhaps but ppl lets just move on.

Who cares about stupid **** like this anyway?

dr-nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 07:35 AM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
For someone who didn't see the game, one might think that the celebration was done in a game where Canada and Sweden played. The swiss posters have been good sports about it and recognized that it wasn't aimed at them, even though it might have ended up "hitting" them slightly. The swiss coach after the game didn't like it, yes, but he saw it more as a stroke of immaturity and then didn't want to talk about it anymore. I think that about sums it up, but somehow there's still a discussion going on about it.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 07:51 AM
Davebo*
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
To the Canadians - No one is caring about the misconduct. Only you guys.
So - what is all the crying about then?

The pro-swiss crowd booing? Get over yourselves! Drama queenery of the highest order!

Davebo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:09 AM
KRM

2-3 Canadians trying to keep this thread alive by stirring up emotions

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:19 AM
Exalted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
So - what is all the crying about then?
The Canadians, a country wich had nothing to do with this particular game, geting their panties in a bunch over a celly?

1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:21 AM
SuperSaucer

I really think the celebration was funny. Young kid having a blast after scoring a goal . I don't understand why some Canadians are making so big deal out of this.

SuperSaucer is offline   Reply With Quote