HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

It's Friberg time

Old
12-31-2011, 11:09 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
You guys must be frothing at the mouth when you happen to catch the football World Cup. Just look at those celebrations! African dances! Portugese backflips! No one other than North Americans seems to find this kind of thing offensive.
LOL we do. Some of us. Remember, we do not all live by that Canada's Game™ code. There are many differing opinions in this land about issues like this, and that is good in a way, as it gives us all perspectives.

But some of us do take it seriously (admittedly, too seriously sometimes). It is probably as annoying to you as the cellebrations are to us, and likely more so. As it is in your culture, Canada's Game™ is a part of ours.

No worries, friend. I understand why he did it and I know he meant no harm. It is cultural, and I thank you for explaining it.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:10 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJonas View Post
Isn't Friberg a "lone hockey player" too then? That was my very point; what's the use of saying that "a Canadian player wouldn't do that", if you're not trying to indicate that what Friberg did was symptomatic of the mentality of Swedish players in general (which it obviously isn't)?
Absolutely. Great point.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
LOL we do. Some of us. Remember, we do not all live by that Canada's Game™ code. There are many differing opinions in this land about issues like this, and that is good in a way, as it gives us all perspectives.

But some of us do take it seriously (admittedly, too seriously sometimes). It is probably as annoying to you as the cellebrations are to us, and likely more so. As it is in your culture, Canada's Game™ is a part of ours.

No worries, friend. I understand why he did it and I know he meant no harm. It is cultural, and I thank you for explaining it.
Good stuff. Happy New Year!

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:29 AM
hirawl
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentothal View Post
Yes, we get that. But a lot of it comes across like these young European players are obliged to adapt to the holy code of Canada's Game™ as soon as they set skate on NA ice, when they come from a different culture and a different mindset.
If he did it in the NHL I could somewhat accept that a player should adapt to the culture there (When in Rome..), but this is the WJC's which is supposed to be an international event. This code is obviously not universal, so why the hell blame someone who hasn't been taught to carry a stick up his ass from an early age.

You guys must be frothing at the mouth when you happen to catch the football World Cup. Just look at those celebrations! African dances! Portugese backflips! No one other than North Americans seems to find this kind of thing offensive.
WJC is a very important showcase in these kids' careers. Drafted or not. That's what I was trying to underline earlier. And the fact that I would not blame the kid, if anything I blame the management for not taking these issues up in beforehand. Or maybe they have. In which case the player only has himself to blame and should accept the consequences. Now and in the future.

One cannot but hope that respecting the opponent will never be seen as an uptight or outdated part of any hockey code.

Football and other sports have their own ways and codes. Let's just be proud of what's good in hockey.

BTW I'm a Finn so I'm not speaking Canadian (French or English) here. I'm speaking hockey.

Happy New Year!

hirawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2011, 11:43 AM
Pentothal
Listen with one ear

I have a hard time believing an NHL club would judge a player on something like that alone. Anaheim knows the kid and to me he definitely doesn't seem to be a guy with a problematic personality.

On the other hand, I remember Radulov rocking that clown wig (and makeup?) after winning the WC's a couple of years ago, so maybe there's something to it

Happy New Year!

Pentothal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 04:16 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Ready 4 Ploffs

This kid is a troll of epic proportions, all he does is eat his victims hearts, and ***** out win's for Sweden. Kids a boss

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 05:32 AM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirawl View Post
Football and other sports have their own ways and codes. Let's just be proud of what's good in hockey.

BTW I'm a Finn so I'm not speaking Canadian (French or English) here. I'm speaking hockey.

Happy New Year!
I can't agree with that: it is an international tournament and there are different national hockey cultures, everyone is perfectly entitled to follow their own code. These are not NHL or North American matches, these are international matches.

Anyway, it is a minor thing and I began to read this thread in order to find out more about Friberg as a player and not as a goal celebrator. Talk about disappointment...

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:00 AM
hirawl
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
I can't agree with that: it is an international tournament and there are different national hockey cultures, everyone is perfectly entitled to follow their own code. These are not NHL or North American matches, these are international matches.

Anyway, it is a minor thing and I began to read this thread in order to find out more about Friberg as a player and not as a goal celebrator. Talk about disappointment...
Just have a read on fly4apuckguy's comments in this thread and mine as well. Give it a thought. It's all there. The reason behind the reaction.

Surely you're not saying that in international or Swedish hockey code it's okay to show up the opponent? And if it is, you agree with it?

You're right, everyone is entitled to behave as they wish. It's just common sense to be aware of the consequences. When we talk about young players maybe it's someone else's responsibility to make sure they really are aware?

Call me old school and I hear university.

Old
01-01-2012, 06:12 AM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirawl View Post
Just have a read on fly4apuckguy's comments in this thread and mine as well. Give it a thought. It's all there. The reason behind the reaction.
Well, I did read them - to my mind he did not show disrespect and I think also to his mind. This is an international tournament, so I think that's that. In the NHL this sort of behaviour is not accepted and he will surely follow the traditions and customs of any league he plays for. If you remember the elder Nummelin and his violin playing, should we now retrospectively condemn him for utter and repeated disrespect?

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:49 AM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
This kid is a troll of epic proportions, all he does is eat his victims hearts, and ***** out win's for Sweden. Kids a boss
Might as well be, cuz he is ****ing UGLY, the piss you off ugly kind. Not the look away don't be rude to stare kind.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 08:38 AM
hirawl
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwyd View Post
Well, I did read them - to my mind he did not show disrespect and I think also to his mind. This is an international tournament, so I think that's that. In the NHL this sort of behaviour is not accepted and he will surely follow the traditions and customs of any league he plays for. If you remember the elder Nummelin and his violin playing, should we now retrospectively condemn him for utter and repeated disrespect?
I agree that he didn't do it to disrespect or intentionally show up the Swiss team. He wouldn't have done it had he known better. Pretty much said it himself.

Case Numppa: he wasn't really rubbing it in with his celebrations. More like Jagr salute. Little silly maybe, but no direct disrespect there. Still it wasn't really liked by his peers. Sure it's a fine line.

It's not like the code is dictated from the outside. It's the players who see something inappropriate or not. They are the ones getting you for it and they are the ones paying the price.

Old
01-01-2012, 10:03 AM
Canuck21t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporalen View Post
If a Canadian player did that against Switzerland, no one would boo him out.
No you're wrong. The player, Canadian or no Canadian, would be ripped apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporalen View Post
Let's see, Canada think it's okay to cheap shot a player like Forsberg. Rob Niedermayer hit on Forsberg into the boards. They think it's okay to run over Markstrom the goalie and say he dove every time. But when a Swedish player pony ride the stick after a shootout goal it should be penalized with misconduct.

O Canada, Cry me a river.
O... M... G... When will Swedes ever going to let this go? Do you remember when Crosby got crossed-checked by a Swede AFTER a goal whilst he was celebrating? It was in 2006. Well most of us Canadians don't remember that. It only came back to me last year when a Swede brought it up. It was darn dirty and yet few of us remember it. It's time for Swedes to move on for crying out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotzig View Post
I've haven't noticed much, if any, opinion about the misconduct penalty at all, for all intents and purposes that was moot considering the game was over.

Now, what people are "gnashing their teeth" about is the sudden ****storm and general judgemental attitude originally stemming from the GDT mainly from posters with a Canadian flag below their usernames.

Needless to say, that was a classical case of; "Let's offer our ******** opinion which no one gives a shít about because we really weren't involved in the game".
"Classless" was a frequently used word describing this ceremony when only mere days before, Team Canada called a time-out with 2 minutes left of the game and an assuring 8-1 lead and as if that wasn't enough sportmanship for one evening Team Canada then proceeded to celebrate their blowout win in round robin like a bunch of roid-raging monkeys.

Frankly, I applaud everyone of these ordeals, it gives players personality. What I, and a few other posters on this board have a problem with is the apperant hypocrisy of certain posters that for some reason canadians seems to be a majority of, think they are entitled to offer an opinion when they quite frankly should shut the fúck up and clean their own backyard first.

This is no slander of canadians per se, but since the majority of posters crying about Fribergs celebration where canadians they would commonly be refered to as simply "canadians".
I agree that we should look at ourselves first before criticizing. I've noticed that over the years, Canadian players have been celebrating a little harder every year and I'm starting to feel that we're doing it too much at blowouts. Anyway, yes most who cry about this are Canadians, but are you surprised? This is a North American message board frequented mostly by Canadians and we're pretty much the only ones who follow the World Junior Championships. What are the odds that you'll read a lot more Canadian opinions? May guess would be... pretty high.

I now don't mind this celebration too much, but I wouldn't want any Canadian to do that still. Friberg seems to be a really nice kid so I now see his celebration in a different light. I hope that people will let go and live this kid alone.

Last edited by Canuck21t: 01-01-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 08:06 PM
airforceones25

Cold as ice

airforceones25 is offline   Reply With Quote