HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oh No! We Suck Again!

Old
12-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
G: I completely forgot that there was a game tonight until I got the text at the end.
B: This never happens.
U: This team has pushed me there.
Um, yeah. I've been at the point for awhile where I don't care if I can't see a game (which is good in a way, because I've had to miss a lot this year). Why should I waste my time watching a boring, uninspired, seemingly uninterested team that's probably going to lose anyway, unless I don't have anything better to do? The only reason I watch lately is to see the young guys.

Now someone will probably accuse me of being a bad fan.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 10:57 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The first of many "WTF is he doing" moments for Ruff and his handling of the roster this year.

"I want a shutdown pairing!!"
"now, I want more offense!!!"
"Shutdown pairing!!!"
"Offense!!!"
"Shutdown pairing!!!"
"Offense!!!"
"Shutdown pairing!!!"
"Offense!!!"
"Shutdown pairing!!!"
"Offense!!!"
Yeah. The summer-time goal was "to establish a shut down pairing." He had one in Myers-Regehr.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:03 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Um, yeah. I've been at the point for awhile where I don't care if I can't see a game (which is good in a way, because I've had to miss a lot this year). Why should I waste my time watching a boring, uninspired, seemingly uninterested team that's probably going to lose anyway, unless I don't have anything better to do? The only reason I watch lately is to see the young guys.

Now someone will probably accuse me of being a bad fan.
Nah, everyone needs a break now and again. I certainly do.

12-29-2011, 11:06 AM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Yeah. The summer-time goal was "to establish a shut down pairing." He had one in Myers-Regehr.
What? Has everyone forgotten how bad Myers' play has been this season. He's had more games where he's handed the other team multiple point blank chances than he's had "shutdown" games.

MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:14 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Yep. Myers was pretty brutal defensively until right before the injury.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:20 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
What? Has everyone forgotten how bad Myers' play has been this season. He's had more games where he's handed the other team multiple point blank chances than he's had "shutdown" games.
And those games came when he wasn't playing with Regehr.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:26 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH View Post
Rewatch the Europe and early season games where Myers-Regehr were together. They were absolutely lights out defensively. Hell, you could probably count on one hand the number of goals they gave up--and it was usually flukey, like bouncing off Regehr's skate. They shut down the likes of Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry completely.

Then Ruff split them up (remember when he put Regehr-Weber out there against top lines? Yeah...that didn't work so good--proof that it wasn't Regehr just carrying Myers, but combined play from both of them). Myers play just completely bombed tough when he started trying to be the offensive catalyst.

But those first set of games, Myers was absolutely fantastic in his own end. It was only after Ruff split up Myers from Regehr where his play went south.

Perhaps coincidentally, those first set of games the Sabres were also playing really well and looking like the dominant team we were expecting...leading the division and just overall playing very good hockey.

I will grant offensively Myers has sucked the entire year (until the benching, of course, but he played like 2 games after that). But defensively he started off really, really good. I know, it's easy to ignore it because offensively he was sucking. If I have time, I'll dig up the GBU posts that back it up--Myers in his own end was absolutely what you wanted from him then.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Rewatch the Europe and early season games where Myers-Regehr were together. They were absolutely lights out defensively. Hell, you could probably count on one hand the number of goals they gave up--and it was usually flukey, like bouncing off Regehr's skate. They shut down the likes of Ryan-Getzlaf-Perry completely.

Then Ruff split them up (remember when he put Regehr-Weber out there against top lines? Yeah...that didn't work so good--proof that it wasn't Regehr just carrying Myers, but combined play from both of them). Myers play just completely bombed tough when he started trying to be the offensive catalyst.

But those first set of games, Myers was absolutely fantastic in his own end. It was only after Ruff split up Myers from Regehr where his play went south.

Perhaps coincidentally, those first set of games the Sabres were also playing really well and looking like the dominant team we were expecting...leading the division and just overall playing very good hockey.

I will grant offensively Myers has sucked the entire year (until the benching, of course, but he played like 2 games after that). But defensively he started off really, really good. I know, it's easy to ignore it because offensively he was sucking. If I have time, I'll dig up the GBU posts that back it up--Myers in his own end was absolutely what you wanted from him then.
yup, Ruff ****ed it up... remember the press conference where he called himself an idiot... that was in reference to splitting up Myers/Regehr, and taking Adam off the top line, and fumbling the rest of the lineup since he didn't know what to do with Leino.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:27 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
yup, Ruff ****ed it up... remember the press conference where he called himself an idiot... that was in reference to splitting up Myers/Regehr, and taking Adam off the top line, and fumbling the rest of the lineup since he didn't know what to do with Leino.
I don't think Adam's demotion had anything to do with why he said that, but I could be wrong. If he did, Adam would be there right now, no?

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:38 PM
Dubi Doo

vCash: 2225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognito View Post
I just don't get why Pegula kept Regier as the GM.. Ruff I could of lived with because changes would of been made to the players. But to keep both was an extremely poor move on his part, one I'm sure if he could fix he would. It's likely he will move on from Darcy after this year and give Ruff at least another year before removing him as coach.
I disagree. Id rather get rid of ruff before regier. The roster isn't bad by any means. Its on ruff to get that roster to its full potential. I haven't been a fan of his coaching decisions this year, but the injuries have hindered his hand a bit.

Terrible game. The team needs to turn it around and fast. Who have they beaten in the last 2 months? No team worth mentioning. No more excuses. Were healing up now. Time to quit yappin and start actin!

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:47 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Interesting stat LeBrun posted on his Twitter today. Points leaders over the last 82 games played by each team:

Vancouver - 112
Boston - 110
San Jose - 106
Chicago - 104
Philadelphia - 103
New Jersey - 102
Pittsburgh - 102
Detroit - 101

I remember Jersey closing strong last year, but I would not have realized that were among that group of teams over their last 82 games played.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:54 PM
MLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post

He was fine in Europe. I remember going to the "home opener" against the Canes and I thought he was terrible all night. I remember thinking that night about how poorly he had started the previous season and fearing a repeat. Constantly out of position and Regehr bailing him out. IMO, he was brutal from after Europe until a couple of games before his injury in all facets.

MLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:26 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Interesting stat LeBrun posted on his Twitter today. Points leaders over the last 82 games played by each team:

Vancouver - 112
Boston - 110
San Jose - 106
Chicago - 104
Philadelphia - 103
New Jersey - 102
Pittsburgh - 102
Detroit - 101

I remember Jersey closing strong last year, but I would not have realized that were among that group of teams over their last 82 games played.
Yep, they were even more on fire than Buffalo throughout most of the second half last year, but they dug their hole way too deep in the first half.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:39 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Yawn, wake me when something changes. I'd rather sleep than watch this team lately.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote