HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings PP update (from practice)

Old
12-30-2011, 03:07 PM
deeshamrock

vCash: 500
Kings PP update (from practice)

Thisfrom today's practice from LA Kings Insider:

One interesting note is that, at the moment, Darryl Sutter has the first power-play unit pulled to one end of the ice and is working with them on his own, while the assistant coaches tend to the other players. Sutter has had an active role with the power play, both in practice and on the bench during games, since he took over, but this is his most hands-on work to date

I wonder if he's putting something new in place or fine tuning. I'm hoping he's telling htem to let MR quarterback from his office or on the side wall and that those D men have to come in closer. Last night Richards threw a pass that the pointman should have nailed, but they were at the blue line...
I trust MR's IQ out there and hope he's giving input into whatever Sutter is doing today.
That lack of PP is killing this team...and with the skill they have it doesn't make sense.

deeshamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Do the Kings have a #1 PP unit?

Please fire Kompon.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:18 PM
KingsKnight
Reclaimed the Crown

Sounds promising. They really need something to jump start the pp. Or even just get them to move in off the perimeter.

KingsKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Defgarden

Maybe he's going to give them all gonorrhea so that their PP will be on fire.
Though, ironically, that will hinder their ability to score.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:42 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
More Voynov please.

VV's one of the few who can one-time it and get it on net.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:42 PM
eleventy

Yay...

Quote:
Incidentally, Sutter said quite clearly today that he wouldn’t be adding to or changing the coaching staff, not that there was any indication he would.

eleventy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:45 PM
kingsdarkness

I thought they're power play looked better than normal last night,(some of them not all) but Mason was hot. Fire Kompon

kingsdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Lame, have to wait for the offseason to see if they unload Kompon. Still, it is nice to hear Sutter trying to change things himself. Even though that makes me scratch my head over why Kompon is still employed if Sutter is just going to do his job for him...

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post
Thisfrom today's practice from LA Kings Insider:

One interesting note is that, at the moment, Darryl Sutter has the first power-play unit pulled to one end of the ice and is working with them on his own, while the assistant coaches tend to the other players. Sutter has had an active role with the power play, both in practice and on the bench during games, since he took over, but this is his most hands-on work to date

I wonder if he's putting something new in place or fine tuning. I'm hoping he's telling htem to let MR quarterback from his office or on the side wall and that those D men have to come in closer. Last night Richards threw a pass that the pointman should have nailed, but they were at the blue line...
I trust MR's IQ out there and hope he's giving input into whatever Sutter is doing today.
That lack of PP is killing this team...and with the skill they have it doesn't make sense.
Some guys around here say that it's only players' fault that PP doesn't work and that offense doesn't exist. Which leads me to believe that Sutter pulled those players away from the rest so that they don't corrupt them with their laziness. So Kompon is training the NEW first PP unit.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:03 PM
kingsfanman

Wow that must be embarrassing for Kompon, if I was in his skates I'd rather be fired or quit than be asked to be on the other side of the rink while my boss did my work.

kingsfanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:08 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsdarkness View Post
I thought they're power play looked better than normal last night,(some of them not all) but Mason was hot. Fire Kompon
5 guys standing still, the puck going in a U? Hard to defend that play. You could fire Kompon but he'll still show up the next day ready to go to work. I bet he has a red stapler.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Scottkmlps

So Darryl pretty much said, "Kompon, you get to keep your job, but get the **** away from the power play."
I can live with that, only if Kompon is not back next season.

Scottkmlps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Randart

You Got It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
5 guys standing still, the puck going in a U? Hard to defend that play. You could fire Kompon but he'll still show up the next day ready to go to work. I bet he has a red stapler.
Of course as do all our coaches and Mgt. Red & Silver and says STAPLES on it!

Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:16 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Kompon is like a damn cockroach. His ability to keep his job is just a joke at this point.

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:20 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Watching the Kings PP, they're technically a 4-man unit. That 5th player becomes wasted by standing in front of the net, but what good is a screen if you can't get a shot through?

The puck goes through Kopitar, Doughty, Johnson and Richards while Brown stands in front. So that creates a 4-on-4 situation as the penalty killers needn't waste their time jostling in front of the net with Brown. If they prevent a shot from going through then Brown becomes ineffective, which is what happens more often than not on the PP.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Watching the Kings PP, they're technically a 4-man unit. That 5th player becomes wasted by standing in front of the net, but what good is a screen if you can't get a shot through?

The puck goes through Kopitar, Doughty, Johnson and Richards while Brown stands in front. So that creates a 4-on-4 situation as the penalty killers needn't waste their time jostling in front of the net with Brown. If they prevent a shot from going through then Brown becomes ineffective, which is what happens more often than not on the PP.
I noticed that against Chicago. With the Hawks utilizing their 5th man around the perimeter and behind the net, it opened up the middle of the ice more and allowed for cross ice passes and an easier time getting shots on goal by forcing and clearing defenders out of the crease. The only downside is they were looking for rebounds more than anything, but I would settle for that over what we have been trying to force into place any day.

Old
12-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps View Post
So Darryl pretty much said, "Kompon, you get to keep your job, but get the **** away from the power play."
I can live with that, only if Kompon is not back next season.
Did he grab him by the coat when he said it?

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:14 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote by Sutter on the powerplay:

Quote:
With the young guys, they’ve got some different skill sets and different ideas, so we’ll just kind of give them a little more freedom but, at the same time, make sure we understand the importance of us.
We are 4.7% on the powerplay in our last 42 attempts... Hopefully by going to the players, collecting more opinions, and allowing more freedom, they can create more. Of course, who knows how much leeway they actually have.

Old
12-30-2011, 05:17 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Kompon is like a damn cockroach. His ability to keep his job is just a joke at this point.
this reminds me of when everyone said this about craig motha-fuggin johnson, lol

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:20 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Rule #1: If you hold the puck for longer than 2 seconds without moving your feet, you're on the bench for the next PP.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:23 PM
hauspaint
what? Kings WON?!

what is Kompon's secrete..? Maybe he should write a book about surviving/keeping one's job even when they suck at what they do...

hauspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:58 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Rule #1: If you hold the puck for longer than 2 seconds without moving your feet, you're on the bench for the next PP.
Most of the "what should players/coaches do" posts around here are a joke, but this one could actually do something positive. It makes perfect sense, I would even lower it to 1 second. One second is a loong time.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:06 PM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
Most of the "what should players/coaches do" posts around here are a joke, but this one could actually do something positive. It makes perfect sense, I would even lower it to 1 second. One second is a loong time.
So...basically, you just want them to move....

I mean, who cares if there is a purpose there, so as long as Kopitar skates from the halfwall to the corner and back, you guys are happy?

Good to know....

Seriously guys?

There has to be a purpose to the movement, someone in here said it was essentially a 4 on 4, is correct.

Right now the Kings are playing a hybrid of an umbrella, and....something, it's hard to describe.

But what they need to do is, and yes, movement is a part of this, but it's with a purpose, they do need the body in front of the net, but they need a body in the high slot as well, this will expand the box and allow a cross seam pass through, the puck carrier should always have 3 choices, Pass A, Pass B, and shoot, right now, they are only getting 1 or 2 options and that is a lack of movement from guys without the puck.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Duc620

Quote:
I bet he has a red stapler.
does he have his tps reports?

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:46 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
So...basically, you just want them to move....

I mean, who cares if there is a purpose there, so as long as Kopitar skates from the halfwall to the corner and back, you guys are happy?

Good to know....

Seriously guys?

There has to be a purpose to the movement, someone in here said it was essentially a 4 on 4, is correct.

Right now the Kings are playing a hybrid of an umbrella, and....something, it's hard to describe.

But what they need to do is, and yes, movement is a part of this, but it's with a purpose, they do need the body in front of the net, but they need a body in the high slot as well, this will expand the box and allow a cross seam pass through, the puck carrier should always have 3 choices, Pass A, Pass B, and shoot, right now, they are only getting 1 or 2 options and that is a lack of movement from guys without the puck.
Another reason is puck handling; for what ever reason the Kings puck handling on the PP has been awful(lately).

Another reason Detroit has such a deadly PP is because they have world class puck handlers on it.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote