HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jeremy Lin forces TWC/MSG to come to an agreement

Old
01-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I think TWC anticipated the losses and is just waiting for the end of the hockey and NBA regular season since NBC Sports, NBC, TNT, ESPN and ABC will carry all the Knicks and Rangers playoff games. I dont think they get blacked out either.

Once April rolls around, nobody is going to care about MSG anymore unless they want it for Boomer and Carton. At least thats what I think
Theres no way on earth this lasts the entire regular reason.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Crease

The Scripps-Cablevision dispute lasted 21 days. I wouldn't be surprised if MSG-TWC dispute lasted about the same. MSG ratings might be low during the summer months but a lot of TWC subscriptions will be expiring between now and October and you better believe that Rangers/Knicks fans with a choice will be signing up elsewhere if MSG isn't offered anymore.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 09:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quick question, and sorry if it was addressed already. TWC is playing the NHL network in place of the MSG channels, and tonight's game is supposed to be on the NHL network.

Anyone know if it will be blacked out locally? Trying to figure out if I need to go to a bar after work or can watch it at home.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:38 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Quick question, and sorry if it was addressed already. TWC is playing the NHL network in place of the MSG channels, and tonight's game is supposed to be on the NHL network.

Anyone know if it will be blacked out locally? Trying to figure out if I need to go to a bar after work or can watch it at home.
Will be aired locally on MSG2, blacked out on NHL Network for those in Tri-State area.

Old
01-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Will be aired locally on MSG2, blacked out on NHL Network for those in Tri-State area.
So I basically cant get it at home with Time Warner cable?

Old
01-06-2012, 09:57 AM
Crease

Quote:
So I basically cant get it at home with Time Warner cable?
Correct. Streamo was pretty good last night, aside from the occasional skipping and low volume.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Correct. Streamo was pretty good last night, aside from the occasional skipping and low volume.
Thanks. Yea, used streamo last night and it wasnt terrible.

Think Im gonna try to find a bar that has the game after work. Good excuse for the wife as to why Im getting drunk.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:47 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I doubt they will carry all the games, not in the first 2 rounds at least.

It depends on who they play.

Last year, Versus and NBC broadcast every Rangers-Caps playoff game. CBC was the primary for the Pens-Bolts because Donkeyface was injured and the rating would suck.

If it Rangers-Pens, Rangers-Caps or Ranger-Flyers, then Versus will make that one the primary.

The issue is will it get balcked out all over the tri-state area. I'm way upstate so maybe they black out the Sabres broadcast (if they make it) so I'll get the ERangers on VS.

If the Rangers play the Leafs or Sens in the 1st round, I 'll get the CBC feed and Jim Hughson......I hope.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:51 AM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

If the game is exclusive (later playoff games usually are), they won't be blacked out in the tri-state area. I'm 90% sure the dispute will be resolved by then, anyway.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 10:52 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Theres no way on earth this lasts the entire regular reason.
I sure as heel hope it doesn, but I'm not holding my breath. Streams will have to suffice for now.

Like some posters said, I lived in Boston for college and work thereafter from 1992 to 2002. I can deal with missing games.

It just sucks that they are stressing out so many Rangers fans during a season that we should all be stress free. Well, at least from a hockey standpoint.

I went to BWW to watch the Knicks game and dropped 60 bucks in booze and food. I cant keep doing that for every game.

Old
01-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I work on 61st and Broadway, anyone know a local (non TWC) bar that would have the game by any chance?

Old
01-06-2012, 11:08 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
I work on 61st and Broadway, anyone know a local (non TWC) bar that would have the game by any chance?
I know Smith's on 44 and 8th has Sunday Ticket for football, so they must get MSG. Only one catch -- it's a Pittsburgh bar LOL

Or you can go the Time Warner Center right near you and find a bar in there

Old
01-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Traderalways

how many games are we going to miss before this ends?? I think the rest of the season...

Traderalways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:08 PM
battlehim

Quote:
Hi, I'm new here and have also been screwed by the whole msg/twc mess. I tried those two links (streamo and that other one) but they required that I download a program but when I tried to download it, it didn't work. Just a bunch of gobbledegook showed up. I'm already paranoid about downloading weird programs to begin with. I'm not very tech-savy....And on a Mac, if anyone can help... Are those links safe? Any reason why the download didn't work? I remember I used to be able to watch on hockeywebcast but the games don't seem to be accessible there either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I can't stand this!!!
Thanks!!!

battlehim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Just spent two hours screaming at two different Time Warner reps. I asked them for a promotion and they said "we'll give you faster internet for 5.95 instead of 9.95"

Direct TV offered me this as a current customer (I have a dish at my summer home):

If they move my boxes from the summer house to my real house (where I have TWC), they would give me:

Choice Ultimate for 55.99 a month instead of 70.99 a month for 24 months
Sports Package for free (12.95) for three months
2 x free HD/DVR Boxes (9.95 a month each)

The issue is that I live in Army housing and they can drill or mount on the homes.

I watched the game on stream last night and it was not crystal clear but certainly not choppy.

TWC rose 2.1% to $64.88. That wont last.
If you want to scream at them, here's a few:

I hope you...
- die in a fire
- get hit by a bus
- get struck by lightning

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlehim View Post
Hi, I'm new here and have also been screwed by the whole msg/twc mess. I tried those two links (streamo and that other one) but they required that I download a program but when I tried to download it, it didn't work. Just a bunch of gobbledegook showed up. I'm already paranoid about downloading weird programs to begin with. I'm not very tech-savy....And on a Mac, if anyone can help... Are those links safe? Any reason why the download didn't work? I remember I used to be able to watch on hockeywebcast but the games don't seem to be accessible there either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I can't stand this!!!
Thanks!!!
Streamo worked just fine for me on my Macbook. When I clicked on the link, the video worked but a "pop-up" saying I needed to download an updated version of some plug-in appeared. It was really an advertisement with a "close me" button at the bottom. Closed it and the game streamed just fine.

Old
01-06-2012, 12:50 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Blondies at 79th and Broadway is a short walk for you, and they have all the sports packages.

Quote:
In NYC, MSG is worth more than ESPN, as is SNY and YES.
Not. A. Chance.

If I were forced to only have one, I'd take ESPN and ESPN2 over MSG and MSG+. And most sports fans would, including Rangers, Knicks, Devils, and Islanders fans.
The all-in amount of total yearly sports programming on ESPN/ESPN2 dwarfs that of a Ranger or Devils fan's concerns.

Quote:
Besides, they are only asking TWC to pay the same that Fios and Directtv are already paying. Why should TWC get it for less?
So if someone pays $30,000 for a car that you deem to be worth $22,000, you should just pay $30,000?

Again, if MSG's demands are met, it will LITERALLY be the #2 most expensive channel on all of television!!!

More than CNN, Fox News, Comedy Central and Food Network, MTV, Discovery, History Channel, Travel Channel, yada, yada, yada. And a 6.5% increase in pay seems more than reasonalbe in this terrible economic climate, so MSG demanding a >50% increase in pay is ludicrous.

Lastly, if you think that this massive increase in cost is going to be paid by Time Warner, you're naive. Increases in a businesses costs are ALWAYS passed onto the consumer, whether they be increases in contracts (like this) or increases in taxes the government demands companies pay. Period.

Last edited by BenedictGomez: 01-06-2012 at 01:01 PM.
BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Blondies at 79th and Broadway is a short walk for you, and they have all the sports packages.

Not. A. Chance.

If I were forced to only have one, I'd take ESPN and ESPN2 over MSG and MSG+. And most sports fans would, including Rangers, Knicks, Devils, and Islanders fans.
The all-in amount of total yearly sports programming on ESPN/ESPN2 dwarfs that of a Ranger or Devils fan's concerns.

So if someone pays $30,000 for a car that you deem to be worth $22,000, you should just pay $30,000?

Again, if MSG's demands are met, it will LITERALLY be the #2 most expensive channel on all of television!!!

More than CNN, Fox News, Comedy Central and Food Network, MTV, Discovery, History Channel, Travel Channel, yada, yada, yada. And a 6.5% increase in pay seems more than reasonalbe in this terrible economic climate, so MSG demanding a >50% increase in pay is ludicrous.

Lastly, if you think that this massive increase in cost is going to be paid by Time Warner, you're naive. Increases in a businesses costs are ALWAYS passed onto the consumer, whether they be increases in contracts (like this) or increases in taxes the government demands companies pay. Period.
I would take MSG over ESPN any day of the week. I never watch ESPN. ESPN mostly covers football, which I don't watch.

And I'm well aware that TWC would pass the cost on to me, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not OK with them not providing the service.

Old
01-06-2012, 01:38 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
I would take MSG over ESPN any day of the week. I never watch ESPN. ESPN mostly covers football, which I don't watch.
That's fine, but most people do watch NFL football, which ESPN has a lot of.

As well as NCAA college football.
As well as NCAA basketball, and March Madness.
As well as MLB baseball.
As well as (non-Knicks) NBA games. Yada, yada, yada, and you could go on and on.

ESPN has tons more sports coverage for "sports fans" than MSG does.

Quote:
And I'm well aware that TWC would pass the cost on to me, and I'm perfectly fine with that. I'm not OK with them not providing the service.
Then you should be upset with MSG, because they're the ones "not providing the service".

TWC offered to keep MSG on during the negotiations between the two companies and pay MSG for the contract-negotiation period coverage in pro-rated fashion.

It was quite literally MSG that "pulled" their signal from TWC, and is thus, "not providing" the service.

So tell me again why your anger is focused on TWC and not MSG?

Old
01-06-2012, 01:45 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

As well as MLB baseball.
As well as (non-Knicks) NBA games. Yada, yada, yada, and you could go on and on.

Then you should be upset with MSG, because they're the ones "not providing the service".

TWC offered to keep MSG on during the negotiations between the two companies and pay MSG for the contract-negotiation period coverage in pro-rated fashion.

It was quite literally MSG that "pulled" their signal from TWC, and is thus, "not providing" the service.

Sure, but I'll take 82 Rangers games (or 70 or whatever MSG airs) over all the other sports programming that ESPN offers. For me it would mean giving up a few Sunday night football games and not much else. If I were a bigger college sports fan it would hurt more...but even then I'd rather have my Rangers than anything/everything else ESPN might broadcast.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:

As well as MLB baseball.

I don't follow any college sports or basketball either, I do follow MLB, but that's what YES network is for. Plus most people are fans of certain teams, and they want to watch THOSE teams play.

The fact here is, Verizon/DirecTV are paying the 53% more MSG demanded. It's not 6.5% more. They were forced into paying a ridiculous amount for FUSE, but we all know that money is really for the right to carry MSG.

I'm also pissed at TWC because they have a monopoly on TV in many parts of manhattan. Otherwise it'd be a simple matter of switching providers.

Like I said, I'm used to getting ripped off, i'm NOT used to getting denied what I want (when I'm willing to pay for it). As far as I see it, MSG is offering their service at a ridiculous price, and TWC is denying their customers that outrageously priced service.

Old
01-06-2012, 02:22 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
As far as I see it, MSG is offering their service at a ridiculous price, and TWC is denying their customers that outrageously priced service.
Well at least you dont pull any punches, but I think it's odd logic to be more upset at the party getting azz-***** than the party doing the azz-******.

Old
01-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
The state attorney general has scheduled a meeting between MSG and TWC for next week: https://twitter.com/#!/WGRZ/status/155397809397440512

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 05:06 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
If you have a two year contract with directv and they drop MSG, can you get out of that contract without paying some early termination fee?
That's a good question. Let's say I sign a 2 year contract with Fios and in year 2 there is another tv dispute. How would that affect my contract with Fios?

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:19 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Well at least you dont pull any punches, but I think it's odd logic to be more upset at the party getting azz-***** than the party doing the azz-******.
TWC isn't getting azz-*****, all they're going to do is jack up TV rates by another 2 bucks / month or whatever the amount is.

And please, like TWC isn't azz-****ing every subscriber as it is.

And by no means am I on MSG's side in any of this. I just see what they're doing as less wrong then what TWC's doing.

Would you rather be able to get overpriced service or no service?