HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeremy Lin forces TWC/MSG to come to an agreement

Old
01-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
As far as I'm concerned, the "right" thing to do for TWC would be to agree to whatever rate hikes MSG pushed onto other TV providers, then jack up cable rates, and then offer a TV package that doesn't include sports channels.

Sports fans can pay for it, and still get the service, non-sports fans won't get the service, and won't have to pay for it.

I want the decision that MSG is asking for too much to be MY decision, I'M THE ONE PAYING FOR IT. TWC isn't spending their money to get the feed, they're spending my money.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:47 PM
gluvhand

vCash: 500
The problem isn't "I want my MSG so TWC should just eat it and I'll pay the difference". MSG is trying to force TWC to carry a channel(s) that they don't want to and include that in the rate hike. If the cable providers offered ala carte programming like they said they would years ago we could pick and choose exactly what we wanted. As is it's "take what we want you to take, pay for it, and say thank you". I know I sound like a broken record but the problem started when providers of content became producers and vice versa. I'm not saying TWC is run by angels and only have the consumers best interest at heart here but I see them as less "demonic" than MSG/Cablevision here.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
The state attorney general has scheduled a meeting between MSG and TWC for next week: https://twitter.com/#!/WGRZ/status/155397809397440512
Good news. Hopefully they smacks some sense into both parties. TWC should pay whatever, then offer MSG as part of a premium sports package. They're going to pass the buck to viewers anyway, might as well make it as utilitarian as possible.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:22 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
The state attorney general has scheduled a meeting between MSG and TWC for next week: https://twitter.com/#!/WGRZ/status/155397809397440512
Awesome news. Let this slimey AG who obviously has political aspirations play populist "hero to the working class" for all I care, so long as it helps us get our hockey back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
Would you rather be able to get overpriced service or no service?
Well sadly that's not the constraints we're working with. The way the world is set today, it is what it is. And what it is right now is MSG playing mafia-extortion and demanding a massive pay increase. A massive pay increase that we're going to pay for as soon as the ink is dried on the new contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
I'm not saying TWC is run by angels and only have the consumers best interest at heart here but I see them as less "demonic" than MSG/Cablevision here.
Precisely.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 07:58 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, the "right" thing to do for TWC would be to agree to whatever rate hikes MSG pushed onto other TV providers, then jack up cable rates, and then offer a TV package that doesn't include sports channels.

Sports fans can pay for it, and still get the service, non-sports fans won't get the service, and won't have to pay for it.

I want the decision that MSG is asking for too much to be MY decision, I'M THE ONE PAYING FOR IT. TWC isn't spending their money to get the feed, they're spending my money.
They can't do that. Most networks demand to be on the most basic tier of cable programming, including MSG. A la carte programming may be coming, but it isn't here yet. Until it does come, no cable station would ever agree to be separated from the most basic cable.

Remember, MSG gets paid for every subscriber. If they're on basic, they get every single person, even the non-sports fan. If they're on a sports-only tier, they only get paid for those fans that want the sports tier.

Why would MSG agree to that? And yes, that's part of the distribution contract that must get signed. It's not only about the strict 53%,they also feel the need to be carried on basic cable.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmanHockey View Post
They can't do that. Most networks demand to be on the most basic tier of cable programming, including MSG. A la carte programming may be coming, but it isn't here yet. Until it does come, no cable station would ever agree to be separated from the most basic cable.

Remember, MSG gets paid for every subscriber. If they're on basic, they get every single person, even the non-sports fan. If they're on a sports-only tier, they only get paid for those fans that want the sports tier.

Why would MSG agree to that? And yes, that's part of the distribution contract that must get signed. It's not only about the strict 53%,they also feel the need to be carried on basic cable.
Remember back in the day when SportsChannel wasn't on basic? I had to watch every game at NJD at my uncle's house, including the Messier guarantee game.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2012, 08:54 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
Remember back in the day when SportsChannel wasn't on basic? I had to watch every game at NJD at my uncle's house, including the Messier guarantee game.
Doesn't mean MSG is going to allow itself to not be on basic. The finances of sports TV have dramatically changed since 1994.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I can almost beat that. The Devils used to be on a pay for, subscription station. So I had to beg my mother for Sportschannel just so I could watch Devils games when I was little (we got Rangers games for free with basic cable). She finally caved when she realized how much I cared about it, as I was never a kid that really wanted/demanded much of anything.
No you can't. We weren't wired for cable until May 30,1995. By then the games were off channel 9 and I couldn't watch anything unless I was at the game or a friends house with cable or a bar. And I don't drink. So standing in a bar with 100 drunks watching the game was not my favorite activity.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 12:05 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
We weren't wired for cable until May 30,1995.
Where the hell did you live, central Namibia?*

*I also love the fact that getting cable was such a momentous moment in your life that you remember the exact date. I thought my family was a very late straggler to cable, and I think we got it in 1986. We lived on a private road, and the only reason we got it then was because the cable company made a "mistake" and ran lines not knowing the road was private.

Old
01-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Where the hell did you live, central Namibia?*
NYC.

Yes, NYC.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 01:10 PM
nyrmetros

Just ordered Fios today. The decision had nothing to do with MSG. I am saving $40 a month by going with Fios over TWC.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 04:23 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
No you can't. We weren't wired for cable until May 30,1995. By then the games were off channel 9 and I couldn't watch anything unless I was at the game or a friends house with cable or a bar. And I don't drink. So standing in a bar with 100 drunks watching the game was not my favorite activity.
I thought we were the last people to get wired--we didn't get access to cable until March 1990 (just in time to watch Edmonton win their only Stanley Cup without Gretzky). There was a jerk who thought he would get rich by not granting TWC permission to string their wire over his building.

I'm pretty sure channel 9 lost the rights to Ranger games that season--wow, the things we go through to live in NYC.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 04:27 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
I thought we were the last people to get wired--we didn't get access to cable until March 1990 (just in time to watch Edmonton win their only Stanley Cup without Gretzky). There was a jerk who thought he would get rich by not granting TWC permission to string their wire over his building.

I'm pretty sure channel 9 lost the rights to Ranger games that season--wow, the things we go through to live in NYC.
I believe so. That was when they started MSG 2. Where I was on LI, they would switch family channel over to MSG 2 when there was a Knicks/Rangers conflict. Back then the road team was always bumped. If they were both on the road, the Rangers were bumped. I was happy as we didn't have MSG because it was a pay channel and after the MSG-Cablevision feud of the late-80's, we never bothered getting it back.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:44 AM
mjdlight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
And this is exactly why I became a Rangers fan instead of a Devils fan growing up in North Jersey in the late 80s/early 90s. I couldn't see their games! And once Messier came, I was hooked for life.

I still to this day do understand why the Devils were on a premium cable channel in their early years in NJ. Doesn't making access to your games harder/more expensive for people make it that much harder to build a fanbase?

mjdlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 12:45 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Just ordered Fios today. The decision had nothing to do with MSG. I am saving $40 a month by going with Fios over TWC.
I have the FiOS box on my building but it's not ready ... yet.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdlight View Post
And this is exactly why I became a Rangers fan instead of a Devils fan growing up in North Jersey in the late 80s/early 90s. I couldn't see their games! And once Messier came, I was hooked for life.

I still to this day do understand why the Devils were on a premium cable channel in their early years in NJ. Doesn't making access to your games harder/more expensive for people make it that much harder to build a fanbase?
Exactly the same with me dude. Thank God for that though, otherwise I'd be a regular on their board.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 05:37 PM
tailgunner

i just switched to RCN....for the same money i was paying TWC I now have tivo an extra box and wireless modem, plus starz encore and the movie channel, I had none of that with TWC, its a no-brainer, TWC is the worst and a rip-off, they are gonna lose alot of subscribers

tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 09:41 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
when fios is available to me i'm switching, even though the MSG thing will probably be resolved by then.

TWC's service sucks, I doubt I'm going to miss anything when I switch.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2012, 11:38 PM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdlight View Post
this is exactly why I became a Rangers fan instead of a Devils fan growing up in North Jersey in the late 80s/early 90s. I couldn't see their games!
I agree 100%. As a Devils fan, you notice this a lot. There are lots of New Jersey born Rangers fans at the age of say 30, and above. But below the age of 30 (again, an approximation) it seems most Jersey born people are Devils fans. You really notice it at Devils games, where a bizarrely large percentage of the crowd are young-adults. It bodes well for the Devils future in terms of the fanbase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Exactly the same with me dude. Thank God for that though, otherwise I'd be a regular on their board.
Yes, it really has been positively terrible having 300% the number of Stanley Cup victories to enjoy, celebrate, and remember, during my lifetime.

Quote:
when fios is available to me i'm switching, even though the MSG thing will probably be resolved by then.

TWC's service sucks, I doubt I'm going to miss anything when I switch.
Bad news on that front for me. I was going to make the switch to FIOS due to better price, better internet, and the ability to see Devils games. It's available where I live in the UWS so I thought I was all good. Wrong. My building is >100 years old, and buildings have to be individually wired I guess? So, I'm screwed.

Old
01-09-2012, 09:09 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Bad news on that front for me. I was going to make the switch to FIOS due to better price, better internet, and the ability to see Devils games. It's available where I live in the UWS so I thought I was all good. Wrong. My building is >100 years old, and buildings have to be individually wired I guess? So, I'm screwed.
Yeah, Verizon has to pre-wire the building before any tenant can call to subscribe. Basically they need to get their main feed to the building, and then run up to a distribution box on each floor via fire stair or other chase. Once the building is "turned on" at the local central office they can provide service to individual units. When someone subscribes they simply run the final cable from the distribution box to that apartment. I'm told that if you go to their website and indicate that you are interested in service (and perhaps a couple other people do the same from your address) your building will get moved up the list.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:14 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'm told that if you go to their website and indicate that you are interested in service (and perhaps a couple other people do the same from your address) your building will get moved up the list.
That's a good idea, print out a flyer and stuff it into everyone's mailbox in your building asking them to put in a request online. They'll get a crew over there right quick

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2012, 01:48 PM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
That's a good idea, print out a flyer and stuff it into everyone's mailbox in your building asking them to put in a request online. They'll get a crew over there right quick
Honestly, that's a stupid idea. Why can't Verizon get their **** together and update things accordingly?

I've been wanting Fios for 5 years now. It's been in my neighborhood for 2. The way they go about installing it has no rhyme or reason. I'd gladly hook up service with another party just to spite Verizon, but sadly, my only two options are Road Runner or Crappy-crap-crap DSL.

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:02 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

On the center ice package would the opposing team's channel feed be blacked out as well?

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:07 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Grinder View Post
Same situation here... in '91 I was 9 years old and the only hockey team on regular cable was the Rangers.... That's the team I started following when I took an interest in hockey... The Devils were still playing on the The Sports Channel and my frugal Dad sure wasn't paying extra on the cable bill Happy with the way things worked out though, even despite the Devils success....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery316 View Post
On the center ice package would the opposing team's channel feed be blacked out as well?
If you live within the Rangers market, yes.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote