HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeremy Lin forces TWC/MSG to come to an agreement

Old
02-09-2012, 10:44 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
This isn't going to end well for MSG. The cable operators can only be extorted so many times before they draw a line in the sand. They already know they've been rayping customers on their cable bill and they can't really jack up prices for the 1000th time. I don't think MSG is going to get anywhere near their price and they will have to cave. Probably sometime in 2013, unfortunately.
I agree. If MSG is losing ~8M/month how many customers would TWC have to lose before they come out on the wrong side of this battle? If we use $100 as the average monthly TWC subscriber cable bill, that's what, 80k subscribers who have to leave before they lose that much? I guess that number could be reached eventually...but likely not until next season. So for the next 6-8 months MSG is going to take a big hit and TWC will actually be making more money than when they actually carried MSG.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2012, 11:34 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uli Hiemer View Post
MSG is in the fault here. Dolan wanted these customers to switch over to Cablevision. The guy is a POS. sorry to say, he is screwing over many many people, some who have no choice but to stick it out with TWC b.c of how the wiring is in NYC.
Me.

Quote:
This isn't going to end well for MSG. The cable operators can only be extorted so many times before they draw a line in the sand.
If I was TWC, there's no way in hell I'd strike a deal now.

What for? In a few days it will be mid-February, and MSG is only useful a few more months before taking its' SIX MONTH siesta.

Not to mention, if MSG really did have a tentative deal in place with TWC and then pulled-the-rug out from under TWC at the last minute, there's probably even worse blood than we know.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:04 AM
LGR33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Remember those numbers are from last quarter--before MSG pulled its product from TWC. Next quarter will not look as pretty given the fact that TWC was paying MSG for the right to have access to almost 3 million viewers. MSG is losing somewhere in the neigbhorhood of $10 million a month because of this impass (and that's not counting the loss of revenue from Fuse being pulled too).
But in this part from the article, they say the ratings numbers were/are up thru last weekend:

Through this past weekend, ratings for the eastern conference leaders have increased over 10% versus last season on a total household basis. Knicks and Rangers' ratings have grown even though a meaningful portion of our fans are currently unable to watch, which I will address shortly. The fact that ratings have grown nonetheless is a testament to the popularity of our local sports program.

So obviously ratings would be even higher if TWC customers were included - but does this mean they currently wouldn't be losing advertising money since ratings are actually up?

LGR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:50 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR33 View Post
But in this part from the article, they say the ratings numbers were/are up thru last weekend:

Through this past weekend, ratings for the eastern conference leaders have increased over 10% versus last season on a total household basis. Knicks and Rangers' ratings have grown even though a meaningful portion of our fans are currently unable to watch, which I will address shortly. The fact that ratings have grown nonetheless is a testament to the popularity of our local sports program.

So obviously ratings would be even higher if TWC customers were included - but does this mean they currently wouldn't be losing advertising money since ratings are actually up?
I find that VERY difficult to believe. No way can they have more people watching without time warner.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:20 AM
Crease

From the conference call:

Quote:
Finally, as you are aware, Time Warner Cable dropped Fuse from its channel lineup on December 16, and dropped the MSG and MSG Plus regional sports networks on January 1. This has impacted approximately 17.5% of Fuse subscribers, and approximately 30% of MSG Network subscribers.
30% is a big dent to MSG's bottom line if they don't come to an agreement.

This is my biggest takeaway from the transcript:

Quote:
There are no meaningful discussions currently taking place. For so long as this dispute continues, we expect increasing numbers of sports fans to subscribe to other providers to avoid missing our compelling programming again.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:45 AM
LGR33

Found this on a Knicks board- I can't call from work today - can anyone call and check it out!?

Reach out to the below contact info and have at it:
Hi, Im a reporter at The Associated Press. I am thinking of writing a story about the dispute between MSG and Time Warner that is preventing many cable subscribers from watching Knicks and Rangers games. I dont know who your cable provider is, but Im sure you must be in contact with Knicks fans who are angry about losing TV access to the games. If so Id love to speak with them.

Karen Matthews
Associated Press
212-621-1670

LGR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 11:22 AM
hockeynerd
Rookie User

I don't care what an article says, there is no way their rating are up. Unless those numbers are from before Time Warner was cut off.

I'm actually part of a group that is taking this a step further. We are orchestrating a boycott of MSG advertisers. I listen to the games on radio and have contacted or will be contacting all of the radio advertisers to let them know that we will not be buying their products or using their services. We are going to do that with the TV advertisers as well. We explained that this is nothing personal against them, but this was our only way of fighting back against MSG. There isn't much we can do, but we will do whatever we can. I hope others do the same.

hockeynerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:45 PM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

vCash: 364
not a bad idea, if you want to put the work into it.

And IMO, those ratings have to be from the 4th quarter and not include the dropped TW contract

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 02:49 PM
hockeynerd
Rookie User

Quote:
not a bad idea, if you want to put the work into it.

And IMO, those ratings have to be from the 4th quarter and not include the dropped TW contract
It's actually not that much work. I do it while listening to the games.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
heh.. the advertisers on MSG are a joke anyway. I been tempted to call some of those dumb commercials (like shake weight) just to troll them. Like call and ask if the shake weight guy is available to be a stripper or something lol.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:08 PM
OverTheCap

I will gladly boycott MSG's advertisers for a variety of reasons. There's only so much "someone left the gate open" and "weeeeee" Geico pigs that one person can take.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 03:33 PM
hockeynerd
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I will gladly boycott MSG's advertisers for a variety of reasons. There's only so much "someone left the gate open" and "weeeeee" Geico pigs that one person can take.
Contacting Geico was awesome. I'm actually getting rid of my car and consequently my car insurance. But when I called to tell them I'm letting my insurance lapse, I told them it was because of their association with MSG and explained about our boycott. The representative was shocked. She couldn't believe I was doing that. But one of my buddies is actually switching car insurance because of this boycott. I have to give him props.

Old
02-10-2012, 03:44 PM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynerd View Post
Contacting Geico was awesome. I'm actually getting rid of my car and consequently my car insurance. But when I called to tell them I'm letting my insurance lapse, I told them it was because of their association with MSG and explained about our boycott. The representative was shocked. She couldn't believe I was doing that. But one of my buddies is actually switching car insurance because of this boycott. I have to give him props.
Did she have an Australian accent?

Old
02-10-2012, 04:06 PM
hockeynerd
Rookie User

Quote:
Did she have an Australian accent?
No Australian accent. Sounded American.

Old
02-10-2012, 04:52 PM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynerd View Post
No Australian accent. Sounded American.
OK so I'm fairly confident you weren't speaking to a gecko

Old
02-10-2012, 10:39 PM
nyrmetros

Love the Rangers, hate the business.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2012, 12:21 PM
hockeynerd
Rookie User

Quote:
OK so I'm fairly confident you weren't speaking to a gecko
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I wasn't. I understand they're all either Australian or English. I heard some may be Kiwi, but I can't verify that.

Old
02-12-2012, 02:10 PM
levski87

Switching to DirecTV on Monday. Comes out much cheaper that Time Warner and supposedly better HD.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 09:08 AM
GordonGecko
Coaching Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Switching to DirecTV on Monday. Comes out much cheaper that Time Warner and supposedly better HD.
Wednesday for me. What are you going to do for internet?

Old
02-13-2012, 10:07 AM
poeman
Fixing Rangers PP

so annoyed that I cant change a cable provider

poeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 10:47 AM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

DirecTV gives me a $10 discount as well for "broadband discount" from my Cableco (they charge $10 more for internet when you don't have their TV service)

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

I got a bit fed up and called TWC the other day. The guy I talked to was pretty understanding and said there was no immediate update on how negotiations are going with MSG. I told him I was pissed off and needed to watch Ranger games on my laptop when I have a 50 inch HD TV 10 feet away. They actually gave me some deals - saves about 25 bucks a month and gave me higher speed internet for the streams.

Whatever, I cant bring myself to go through the trouble of switching providers when Dolan will just be looking to screw the next carrier when this is over.

I was hoping the Jeremy Lin show would speed this up, but I guess not. Dolan's the only guy that can have a 1st place hockey team and a phenomenon fall face-first to his pathetic basketball team, and **** it up to the degree of having 2 million NYC residents unable to watch.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 11:57 AM
darrenturcotte#8

I would bet a lot of Advertisers would love to ride the Lin train... Can't be good that a 1/3 of views can't tune in...

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:14 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I got a bit fed up and called TWC the other day. The guy I talked to was pretty understanding and said there was no immediate update on how negotiations are going with MSG. I told him I was pissed off and needed to watch Ranger games on my laptop when I have a 50 inch HD TV 10 feet away. They actually gave me some deals - saves about 25 bucks a month and gave me higher speed internet for the streams.

Whatever, I cant bring myself to go through the trouble of switching providers when Dolan will just be looking to screw the next carrier when this is over.

I was hoping the Jeremy Lin show would speed this up, but I guess not. Dolan's the only guy that can have a 1st place hockey team and a phenomenon fall face-first to his pathetic basketball team, and **** it up to the degree of having 2 million NYC residents unable to watch.
I don't think it helps much. At least not yet. This phenomenon named Lin (i dont even know his first name because i dont care) is most definitely being hyped extra by MSG to get TWC to the table and pay up. Guys had four good games in his career, and happens to be in his last five. I'm not getting into a Knicks argument because I don't care, and I know nothing, but come on. Obvious effort on MSGs part to hype this extra.

Does anyone have ratings for nyr games. I am wondering what they look like sans the TWC market, and whether they go up or down with TWC included/not included in the stats since Jan 1. Thanks.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2012, 01:29 PM
hockeynerd
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
My buddy has Direct TV and he complains about it endlessly. Apparently, it goes out anytime there is a storm or strong winds. He actually switched to it from Cablevision and he regretted it almost immediately. But who knows, maybe it works better in other areas. Problem is, MSG refuses to disclose when their contract with Direct TV and Fios are up. They may be next on the chopping block. I wish whoever is switching much luck.

So I came to this conversation pretty late and don't want to go back and reread everything, so can I ask again how those watching the games online are doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.