HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeremy Lin forces TWC/MSG to come to an agreement

Old
01-04-2012, 07:11 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

vCash: 500
So pissed I can't watch the Knicks tonight. TWC and MSG need to get their $*% together.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:21 PM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfzn View Post
NBA and NHL have been taking the place of MSG and MSG+ since 1/1, guys. I don't get how some of yous have had to call for this.
I already had those channels, you probably did too and didnt realize it.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 07:25 PM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I already had those channels, you probably did too and didnt realize it.
I didn't have them 'til 1/1 when MSG was taken off the air.

That post was intended for the folks saying that they called TWC and they gave them those channels... you already had them.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see Crease was talking about something else.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:29 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

I loathe MSG and I loathe TWC.

Anyone have any feedback on FIOS in Manhattan? Is it worth dumping TWC and how does it stack up with overall cost and programming, etc....?

EDIT: Representatives from Time Warner Cable and MSG say no negotiations have been scheduled to resolve their cable dispute. (posted 7 hours ago) Lovely

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2400
Speaking about disputes, the contract between Cablevision and SNY expires a bit before the season starts. I wish FiOS was in my neighborhood.

01-04-2012, 09:42 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

I just called TWC and cancelled my $6/month sports tier, given the fact that the ONLY reason I have it is to watch NHL Network, so if you're paying that $6 for that reason, you should call and cancel it since it's free now.

Old
01-04-2012, 09:46 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Speaking about disputes, the contract between Cablevision and SNY expires a bit before the season starts. I wish FiOS was in my neighborhood.
Good, I didn't wanna watch the Mets anyway.

01-04-2012, 09:47 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

I called TWC at least 5x today to vent, one guy told me that MSG's contract with DirecTV and Verizon is expiring in a month so don't bother to switch providers. A supervisor told me that this problem won't be resolved any time soon.

Old
01-04-2012, 09:56 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
For free until the MSG issue is resolved. I called and threatened to cancel and they offered up NHL Center Ice and NBA League Pass to keep me in.

I didn't call for NBA Network and NHL Network. I called for NHL Center Ice and NBA League Pass. Two completely different things.
I just did the same thing twice and talked to 2 different supervisors. They both told me the same thing, which is that it is physically impossible to give a customer those programs for free because when TWC enters the signal to your box it automatically generates a charge from TWC to the provider (i.e. they pay up front and then get the monies from the customer), and that not even supervisors are authorized to do that. So you must have gotten a "rogue" TWC employee or something.

Old
01-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
They are asking the same amount that Fios and Directtv are paying. If you sold a product, and two of your major customers were paying X amount of dollars for your product, would you allow your 3rd major customer to pay only X/2?
The negotiations don't only involve the MSG channels--MSG (the company) also owns FUSE and are demanding a huge increase for the fee paid by TWC to carry FUSE. MSG will not agree to a new deal for their sports channels without the new deal for FUSE (at least to this point). So, hockey and basketball fans are being held hostage in order for MSG to get a higer rate for a completely unrelated channel.

I don't know about you, but I won't go to a store that demands that I also pay for something completely unrelated to the item I am willing to buy at market price.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
I just did the same thing twice and talked to 2 different supervisors. They both told me the same thing, which is that it is physically impossible to give a customer those programs for free because when TWC enters the signal to your box it automatically generates a charge from TWC to the provider (i.e. they pay up front and then get the monies from the customer), and that not even supervisors are authorized to do that. So you must have gotten a "rogue" TWC employee or something.
But TWC can decide to give you a credit for the charges that are generated--they have control over that.

Old
01-04-2012, 10:15 PM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The negotiations don't only involve the MSG channels--MSG (the company) also owns FUSE and are demanding a huge increase for the fee paid by TWC to carry FUSE. MSG will not agree to a new deal for their sports channels without the new deal for FUSE (at least to this point). So, hockey and basketball fans are being held hostage in order for MSG to get a higer rate for a completely unrelated channel.

I don't know about you, but I won't go to a store that demands that I also pay for something completely unrelated to the item I am willing to buy at market price.
Yeah, MSG is definitely the "more evil" of the two parties in this nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
But TWC can decide to give you a credit for the charges that are generated--they have control over that.
You're not understanding. TWC has to PAY both NHL Center Ice and the NBA Package up front. They're the ones paying the fees in the give it to the customer for "free" scenario.

Old
01-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
If I could pay $100 / month to get an illegal black box versus paying $100 / month to get it legit, I would choose the former option.

I'd rather pay the criminals on the street then the criminals at TWC

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 10:36 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post
If I could pay $100 / month to get an illegal black box versus paying $100 / month to get it legit, I would choose the former option.

That has to be the best post I read ALL DAY.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Yeah, MSG is definitely the "more evil" of the two parties in this nonsense.

You're not understanding. TWC has to PAY both NHL Center Ice and the NBA Package up front. They're the ones paying the fees in the give it to the customer for "free" scenario.
I understand that they are paying the fee. But, TWC then bills the customer for Center Ice, you don't get a bill from a third party. TWC can give you a credit for it, if they really, really want to keep you. Sometimes, even a monopoly has to give to get. Keeping a customer for the long term might be worth more to them than whatever the short term cost will be.

Old
01-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I called TWC at least 5x today to vent, one guy told me that MSG's contract with DirecTV and Verizon is expiring in a month so don't bother to switch providers. A supervisor told me that this problem won't be resolved any time soon.
Can someone validate this?

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2d View Post

See how long before they fry your system. It's no longer so easy to steal cable service (especially if you have digital).

Old
01-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Crease

Quote:

Damn right they're willing to eat the couple of bucks they paid NBA and NHL for my free content . They want to keep the $220 a month I'm paying them for everything else.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:23 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Yup. I'm a returning customer. Been back with them about 6-8 mos. The deal I got at the time was the free lifetime multi-room DVR. With HBO and taxes I'm in for about $125-$130 a month. A bit more than Cablevision was but the product is far superior. Picture quality has been slipping a little recently but still better than CV.
I seriously considering leaving twc and going with Fios. Verizon is offering me ultimate hd with 3 boxes, a multiroom Dvr for life, hbo, 35 down and 35 up Internet, and unlimited voip telephone for $145 plus taxes and fees. How much are your taxes and fees btw?? The only channel I would lose with Fios is Fox Soccer Plus which is $15 a month (wtf!)..

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:25 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie460 View Post
How about something in Queens!!

Old
01-04-2012, 11:30 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
So pissed I can't watch the Knicks tonight. TWC and MSG need to get their $*% together.
You didnt miss much...Actually you should probably call TWC and thank them for blocking that piece of **** team.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2012, 11:33 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTtoZ View Post
You didnt miss much...Actually you should probably call TWC and thank them for blocking that piece of **** team.
HA! I listened to the game on the radio (keeping it old school) ... MDA needs to go NOW! Enough with the 3's

Old
01-04-2012, 11:38 PM
nyrmetros

All the viewing parties are downtown? Nothing for midtown?

Old
01-05-2012, 12:07 AM
BenedictGomez
#FireDeboer

There seems to be a lot of misdirected anger in this thread.

While neither party comes off smelling like roses in this, it is MSG that is clearly villain #1, and not TWC* in this standoff.

MSG's terms in all of this are completely unreasonable, and they're basically like a hostage-taker demanding a massive ransom.

*And that comment is coming from one of TWC's largest haters

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
All the viewing parties are downtown? Nothing for midtown?
There are some Rangers parties on the UWS, just 10 minutes from midtown (1-train to 86th street).

Last edited by BenedictGomez: 01-05-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old
01-05-2012, 12:09 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Damn right they're willing to eat the couple of bucks they paid NBA and NHL for my free content . They want to keep the $220 a month I'm paying them for everything else.
220 is nothing, my bill is almost 300 a month :/