HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is pickup hockey adult only everywhere?

Old
12-29-2011, 10:48 AM
MD Moose

vCash: 500
Is pickup hockey adult only everywhere?

I'm in DC/Balt area and all the pickup hockey slots around here are 18 and up. I was just curious if there is anywhere that allows under 18 to play. I can certainly understand the liability issue involved so it wouldn't surprise me if there were none. But I was just thinking it would be pretty cool to get out and play with my under 18 son in a game.

MD Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 11:11 AM
r3cc0s

I am almost certain that they never ask... but if your kid is a small 14 or 15 year old, well that would be noticable

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:06 PM
MD Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
I am almost certain that they never ask... but if your kid is a small 14 or 15 year old, well that would be noticable
10, so yeah it would noticable

we can do stick and puck but no pick up games

Old
12-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Wease

In Central Ohio they have a 13-17 Drop In (our version of your Pick Up), but nothing for anyone younger than that. If you want to do anything with your kid that's that young, it has to be Stick And Puck.

Wease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Stickmata

They used to let young ones out at pickup here years back, but they're very strict on it now. Given how fast and chippy pickup typically is, I wouldn't want my kid out there. I'm counting the days until my son turns 18 and can play adult league with me. Wondering how protective I'm gonna be of him when we're out there together.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If it's not, it should be. Typically there's some kind of liability waiver that should be signed (or implicit in signing up) and you can't make that agreement if you're under 18 without a parent's signature.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:57 AM
SCritical

I wouldn't want 10 year olds in my pick up games. I don't care how good they are, its just not safe. If I trip and fall on a kid I could really hurt them, and parents don't tend to care that their lil angel was skating with his head down.

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 09:12 AM
noobman

A 10 year old is too young to be playing at an "adult" pickup game. Over here they have things like family shinny in which adults and kids can play together. If you go to an outdoor rink (that allows hockey) you'll almost always find a few guys with their kids on the ice.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Renbarg

I've played with 16 and 17 year olds in pickup before, nothing younger though, and even then they need their parents to sign a waiver.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:12 PM
pld459666

why not go to your local rink and see if they would be willing to do a Father and Son day where guys can bring their kids and play a game.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:18 PM
shawn1331

Here they let us play beer league if your over 13 and you have to wear a cage and neckguard.

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 06:49 PM
ArrogantOwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn1331 View Post
Here they let us play beer league if your over 13 and you have to wear a cage and neckguard.
How does that work? You have to be 21 to drink in the states.

ArrogantOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 07:09 PM
shawn1331

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrogantOwl View Post
How does that work? You have to be 21 to drink in the states.
you don't have to drink to play beer league...plus I'm in canada so it's 19

shawn1331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2012, 10:53 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

16 here (though 18 for beer league), and that's fine. Lets high school kids play, but weeds out the 10 year olds. 10 is really just way too young- you're risking injury playing with adults going full speed. Even if your kid was good, everybody else on the ice would have to pay special attention to going easy or not injuring the kid, making it a lot less fun for them. It may be a cute thing for you, but you can't ruin it for everyone else.

It's not a matter of your son being under 18 so much as it is a matter of your son's presence being a risk to himself and something that would spoil the game for anybody who had hoped to play a higher level game. They're perfectly correct to ban kids, I certainly wouldn't play in a pickup that welcomed them.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 08:16 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Moose View Post
I'm in DC/Balt area and all the pickup hockey slots around here are 18 and up. I was just curious if there is anywhere that allows under 18 to play. I can certainly understand the liability issue involved so it wouldn't surprise me if there were none. But I was just thinking it would be pretty cool to get out and play with my under 18 son in a game.
I live in the DC area and Kettler has under age 18 pick ups.

fuzzerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2012, 09:10 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
16 here (though 18 for beer league), and that's fine. Lets high school kids play, but weeds out the 10 year olds. 10 is really just way too young- you're risking injury playing with adults going full speed. Even if your kid was good, everybody else on the ice would have to pay special attention to going easy or not injuring the kid, making it a lot less fun for them. It may be a cute thing for you, but you can't ruin it for everyone else.

It's not a matter of your son being under 18 so much as it is a matter of your son's presence being a risk to himself and something that would spoil the game for anybody who had hoped to play a higher level game. They're perfectly correct to ban kids, I certainly wouldn't play in a pickup that welcomed them.
I have to agree with this. It's one thing to sneak your 17 year old son / nephew / cousin who plays full contact into men's league games (i've done it several times and he happens to usually be one of the best players on the ice)... but if the kid is small enough to be noticed that he's not 18, he really shouldn't be on the ice with adults, simple as that.

While you do have to respect individual parenting choices, I don't think there should be an honus on the league to facilitate poor choices. I can understand that a father may want to share the ice with his kid, but that doesn't mean the other 8 guys out there want a father and his 10 year old ruining their game.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Danglous

At my local rink its 16 and up, which is fine with me. But the problem is the staff lets anyone on the rink, and sometimes there is this little **** 10 year old with a giant ego. His dad always watches him play and the kid tells everyone hes the "next Gretzky." He doesn't pass, gets stripped every time, and talks **** to everyone. He whines when the guys don't pass him the puck, and I don't blame them because he slows the pace of the game to a screeching halt. You guys think I should contact whoever is running the rink?

Danglous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:14 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
16 here (though 18 for beer league), and that's fine. Lets high school kids play, but weeds out the 10 year olds.
Also, I know of at least one kid in the 16yo range who plays with his dad in the local beer league. He's big for his age, but behind the curve skill-wise. I don't think anybody really has a problem with him being out there since he can hold his own physically.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 11:26 AM
r3cc0s

just the other day, a guy and I collided (same team)... both going for a free puck and there was an opposing player between us and he moved, but we didn't see each other

he left with a seperated shoulder (both of us don't usually wear shoulder pads)

if we saw each other, we'd let up as we both know how to play, but accidents happen

but I can tell you, if this was a 10 year old at shoulder height playing with us, I'd be having to deal with possibly a concussion issue and an angry parent

Old
01-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
10 is really just way too young
Seriously. At that height, he's liable to take an adult's knee to the head on accident. Not to mention what will happen when a 10 year old gets in the way of an adult slapshot.

I assume the OP is looking for a kids-only pickup. Again though, it's pretty hard to have 8 year olds and 15 year olds on the ice at the same time for the same reasons as above.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2012, 02:03 PM
r3cc0s

in Calgary here, most city ran leasure centers also have adult/child shinny

Old
01-03-2012, 03:40 PM
MD Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Seriously. At that height, he's liable to take an adult's knee to the head on accident. Not to mention what will happen when a 10 year old gets in the way of an adult slapshot.

I assume the OP is looking for a kids-only pickup. Again though, it's pretty hard to have 8 year olds and 15 year olds on the ice at the same time for the same reasons as above.
Actually, I guess what I was asking would be more properly shinny. But I don't think they do that anywhere in this area. It would make sense that stuff like that was around Calgary.

I agree, I wouldn't want younger kids like that in a full on game, because even if not intentional, you can't always avoid the contact.

Old
01-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
I have played beer league since I was 16 here. Although I am one of maybe 6-8 16/17 year olds in the league. Its not to common in my league, but there are some.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2012, 06:27 PM
NJDevs430

They have a bunch of Family Open hockey sessions at the rinks I go to here in NJ.
Don't know if there's an age limitation, but you just need to be careful when the kids are out there. I don't have kids of my own, but I've got three younger cousins. Two are old enough for adult open, and I've played with them both (out in SanDiego, actually - one cousin took time off to come up from La (Louisiana, not Los Angeles); but my other cousin is a goalie who's about 14. I'd love to get us all together for a game, but he's out near St Louis.

I actually played in an adult open here where one of the goalies had a kid who played in the high school open hockey a few minutes before. When the adults took the ice, the kid came out and skated with us (guess his dad signed a waiver or something). During the course of the game, he got crushed by one of the larger adults, but bounced right back up and scored on his dad from the blueline.

NJDevs430 is offline   Reply With Quote