HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Halladay Retires as a Blue Jay.

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2013, 07:52 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Halladay Retires as a Blue Jay.

Carry on.

Some good pitching gone. Kazmir on a 2 year contract is great value, and this Fister trade (if true), is wow.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

vCash: 500
Bring back Roy.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Eyedea
The Legend Continues

vCash: 350
I still have this feeling that Iwakuma will be available at the winter meetings. Wouldn't be surprised if rumours will come up around the meetings involving him. Gallardo too.

Old
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Shaping up to be a nice start to December for us.

Old
Dr.Funk

vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post
Bring back Roy.
On a minor league deal with a ST invite otherwise no.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:58 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Shaping up to be a nice start to December for us.
A.A.'s been on a tear this offseason.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:59 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Sure; if we're assuming that Fister was ever made available by Dombrowski to any AL team, including the Blue Jays. Judging from the haul, its safe to assume only a few teams were involved.

I'm sure the media will spin it as AA not doing his due-diligence though.
I don't get it, why would he not trade him to an AL team? He already traded Fielder to an AL team. Teams try not to trading within division but I am pretty sure no team has any problem trading a player in the same league. Trading him to the Jays makes zero difference to Detroit because they barely even play each other.

Teams missed the boat on this one or maybe they just thought he was only a #4 starter or something because of his fastball velocity.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:01 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I don't get it, why would he not trade him to an AL team? He already traded Fielder to an AL team. Teams try not to trading within division but I am pretty sure no team has any problem trading a player in the same league. Trading him to the Jays makes zero difference to Detroit because they barely even play each other.

Teams missed the boat on this one or maybe they just thought he was only a #4 starter or something because of his fastball velocity.
He also traded Granderson to the Yanks. Hopefully A.A. did his due dilligence on this deal and didn't miss the boat or has something else lined up.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Kurtz

Quote:

Yep - Detroit wouldn't care about trading their back-of the rotation guy to one of the worst teams in the AL.

This is either AA being asleep at the switch again, or else he's closing in on other targets.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:09 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
The Nationals pretty much stole a top 25 pitcher for nothing. Good for them.

This is what we needed:

Quote:
Eno Sarris: This is your best year as measured by ground balls. If you look over your career, itís more ground balls every year. Are ground balls something you focus on?

Doug Fister: Thatís my main focus, really. I try to attack the hitter and get as bad contact as I can in the first three pitches. If I can do that, I feel I can go longer in the game and have more effectiveness throughout the game. Iím trying to be as efficient as possible, Iím trying to get every ground ball. If I could, Iíd get 27 ground balls straight. If I didnít strike anybody out, that wouldnít worry me.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:16 PM
weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
I still have this feeling that Iwakuma will be available at the winter meetings. Wouldn't be surprised if rumours will come up around the meetings involving him. Gallardo too.
In Davidi's book he said AA was actually close to aquiring Iwakuma at one point.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Brody

vCash: 560
Navarro is a great signing

Old
12-02-2013, 08:26 PM
Thorntonfan97
Josť Bautista-20 HR

Send a message via MSN to Thorntonfan97 Send a message via Yahoo to Thorntonfan97
Well he's no Dan Johnson but I guess I'll like the Navarro signing with time

Old
12-02-2013, 08:29 PM
habamillions

decent signing. can't be worse than jp. just need an upgrade at 2ndbase.. and at least 2 starters

Old
12-02-2013, 08:31 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
The Nationals pretty much stole a top 25 pitcher for nothing. Good for them.

This is what we needed:
I'm pretty disappointed this wasn't us.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Diamond Joe Quimby
A$AP Joffrey

Quote:

I don't know man. If you and I are smart enough to know that he's far more than a #4 starter, isn't it safe to assume that professional baseball minds would know the same? Moreover, would there not be a far superior package to be had if the bidding had been open across all of baseball? It's clear that the market was limited, whether it was AL teams, or another reason we're unaware of.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Transplanted Caper

People can complain about AA being certain things, notion he's asleep at the switch seems demonstrably false. He talks to GMs more than their respective wives do.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:58 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
I don't know man. If you and I are smart enough to know that he's far more than a #4 starter, isn't it safe to assume that professional baseball minds would know the same? Moreover, would there not be a far superior package to be had if the bidding had been open across all of baseball? It's clear that the market was limited, whether it was AL teams, or another reason we're unaware of.
As long as A.A. did his due diligence and Dombrowski replied with saying it'll cost Sanchez, Stroman, or Osuna +++ I am fine. If he didn't then it worries me.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:03 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

sucks that the jays couldn't get Fister but the silver lining is that he's out of the AL

Old
12-02-2013, 09:07 PM
calcal798

in other news, Melky Cabrera switched agencies.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Longshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcal798 View Post
in other news, Melky Cabrera switched agencies.
To bad he didn't retire...

Old
12-02-2013, 09:10 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
sucks that the jays couldn't get Fister but the silver lining is that he's out of the AL
and JPA is no longer a Jay, in 2 hours sorry

Old
12-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Longshot

Quote:
As long as A.A. did his due diligence and Dombrowski replied with saying it'll cost Sanchez, Stroman, or Osuna +++ I am fine. If he didn't then it worries me.
Is it possible that AA is planning a larger deal that addresses several needs at once? Similar to (but not the same magnitude) of the Marlins deal?

Today we could be disappointed in the lack of a deal for Fister, tomorrow they could announce a larger deal for two starting pitchers, a 2B and a guy to replace Rajai. Who knows.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:17 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Joe Quimby View Post
But why would they do that and get a poor return? They have already traded bigger name and players just as good, if not better than Fister so why wouldn't they trade him to an AL team? I could understand maybe if it was Verlander but I have a hard time believing that for Fister.

I think Detroit must have really loved Robbie Ray or something.

Old
12-02-2013, 09:18 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I wouldn't think for a second that AA wasn't in contact with Detroit knowing they were always rumoured to be moving a starter. My assumption is the same as others that unless the jays were willing to pay a steep price he would be going to the NL. I just don't understand this from the Tigers perspective. They go no value out of the deal at all. Just made themselves worse which is good for us.

Closed Thread