HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What would you do as Sabres GM...

Old
12-29-2011, 12:03 PM
Matty K

vCash: 500
What would you do as Sabres GM...

Saw this on another Forum...

Darcy Regier Steps Down/or is Fired and Terry Pegula announces you as the new GM of the Sabres today and your given Toady's Roster, Pipeline and Resources.

Question: How would you handle today's current Roster...

- Do you go "All In". Making Transactions to potentially push us toward Lord Stanley by mortgaging Futures...

- Do you "Blow it up". Thinking this Team just isn't good enough and move Players for Picks and Futures...

- Do you make a "Statement Transaction". Basically, meaning making a Transaction including one of the "Core" Players whether it's for underachieving or has potentially "Checked Out" under Ruff and hopefully it sparks the Squad.

- Or do you prefer to handle things completely different...

So your the GM of the Buffalo Sabres what do you do...
- Post Transactions you would make whether that would be Trades, Promotions/Demotions, ect...
- Post Lineups

Matty K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Loungie

First off, IMO, if Buffalo did make playoffs this year and got out in the first round again, I think its time to let Lindy go. Not saying I have another coach in mind but if thats all he can get us to is the first round in the past few years, not cutting it.

Let Boyes go or sign him to a lower contract cause 4 mil is too much

TRADE STAFFORD, too streaky and not liking the way he's playing this year. Even though he's still kind of young, see what we can get for him.

Loungie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Zip15

vCash: 396
Is this a fancy way of asking what trades we'd all make? Because there are numerous threads for that material.

But, to answer the question:

1) I fire Ruff and hire a younger coach and observe the team's performance with a new voice in the room.

2) I trade Brad Boyes. The guy isn't going to be here after this season and he's inept at ES. If I can get a 3rd, I take it. I'm attempting to maximize the amount of cap space available if I decide the team should be buyers at the deadline or a good player somehow pops free (see #3).

3) I call Scott Howson before he gets fired to see what Columbus wants for Jeff Carter. He's not ideal, but I'm not going to let perfect be the enemy of good, and frankly I prefer him to Stastny. Adam/Ennis + 1st + 3rd? Deal.

4) If I need more cap space to make the Carter deal work, I waive Cody McCormick to Rochester.

5) I call around the league to gauge Stafford's value. I perceive it to be no less than a 1st + 3rd + good (not great) prospect. If someone meets my asking price, I may be willing to deal. If not, I'm not trading any assets for .75 cents on the dollar. That's how GMs get fired, and I like employment.

6) I call around the league to gauge Gragnani's and Weber's value. If someone offers me a good deal for either, see ya. It's McNabb's time.
_____

Those are my in-season moves.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Is this a fancy way of asking what trades we'd all make? Because there are numerous threads for that material.

But, to answer the question:

1) I fire Ruff and hire a younger coach and observe the team's performance with a new voice in the room.

2) I trade Brad Boyes. The guy isn't going to be here after this season and he's inept at ES. If I can get a 3rd, I take it. I'm attempting to maximize the amount of cap space available if I decide the team should be buyers at the deadline or a good player somehow pops free (see #3).

3) I call Scott Howson before he gets fired to see what Columbus wants for Jeff Carter. He's not ideal, but I'm not going to let perfect be the enemy of good, and frankly I prefer him to Stastny. Adam/Ennis + 1st + 3rd? Deal.

4) If I need more cap space to make the Carter deal work, I waive Cody McCormick to Rochester.

5) I call around the league to gauge Stafford's value. I perceive it to be no less than a 1st + 3rd + good (not great) prospect. If someone meets my asking price, I may be willing to deal. If not, I'm not trading any assets for .75 cents on the dollar. That's how GMs get fired, and I like employment.

6) I call around the league to gauge Gragnani's and Weber's value. If someone offers me a good deal for either, see ya. It's McNabb's time.
_____

Those are my in-season moves.
Would you trade Roy for Carter ?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Myllz
ARF ARF ARF ARF ARF

Fire Ruff and give his replacement the rest of the season for player evaluation. I wouldn't start trading players until the deadline and the off-season.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I'm not Zip....but I don't think I would.

I think the idea would be to pair Roy and Carter as 1A/1B type centers.

Carter would look nice with Ennis on the wing I think.

Personally, I don't trade Roy for anything but a stud, bona-fide #1 center. I don't consider Carter that.

Zman5778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Probably, but I think I'd rather swing that deal I mentioned for Carter (Ennis + 1st + Weber [instead of 3rd]), then call Chicago to ask about the deal being discussed on the trade board for Roy, which is two of McNeill, Kruger, Pirri + Beach/CHI 1st.

Vanek-Adam-Pommer
Leino-Carter-Stafford
Gerbe-Hecht-Kassian
Ellis-Gaustad-Kaleta

(But now we'd have two good young centers in the organization in two of McNeill/Pirri/Kruger, plus Beach or a late-1st rounder.)

Old
12-29-2011, 12:35 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman5778 View Post
I'm not Zip....but I don't think I would.

I think the idea would be to pair Roy and Carter as 1A/1B type centers.

Carter would look nice with Ennis on the wing I think.

Personally, I don't trade Roy for anything but a stud, bona-fide #1 center. I don't consider Carter that.
for me, it's quite simple. I think getting Roy off this team is an important move.

Trading him for Carter doesn't solve our center issue... but it doesn't make it any worse.

I like the fact that Carter is locked up long term to a fair deal, while Roy has only 1 year left before our lack of center depth will force us to pay top market dollar to keep him.

Old
12-29-2011, 12:36 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Probably, but I think I'd rather swing that deal I mentioned for Carter (Ennis + 1st + Weber [instead of 3rd]), then call Chicago to ask about the deal being discussed on the trade board for Roy, which is two of McNeill, Kruger, Pirri + Beach/CHI 1st.
i like this plan!
swapping #1 center
acquiring a few good young pieces
... and above all...
getting Roy the **** outta here

Old
12-29-2011, 12:41 PM
puckish66

For me, it's 1995 all over again. I pull a John Muckler and tell the fans we're getting younger, cheaper, hungrier -- and we'll lose a fair amount before it turns around.

I sell off the core and clear out the deadwood. I'll add novelty parts and expensive free agents to put us over the top when the time comes, which won't take years, but won't be next summer either.

The new core is where it's at, and they'll have to find their way in the short term.

Like Zip, I hire a young, hungry, BRIGHT coach who can relate to the kids.

And, oh yeah, I tell Terry if he gets within 10 feet of personnel decisions, I'm out the door.

This is fun!

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 12:46 PM
tjshisler

Quote:

Vanek-Adam-Pommer
Leino-Carter-Stafford
Gerbe-Hecht-Kassian
Ellis-Gaustad-Kaleta

(But now we'd have two good young centers in the organization in two of McNeill/Pirri/Kruger, plus Beach or a late-1st rounder.)
Not a big fan of Carter but I really like how you did that. Just curious under this scenario what you would do with Hecht/Gaustad/Kaleta at the end of the year... Resign or look for replacements?

tjshisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjshisler View Post
Not a big fan of Carter but I really like how you did that. Just curious under this scenario what you would do with Hecht/Gaustad/Kaleta at the end of the year... Resign or look for replacements?
Re: Carter, as I said, he's not ideal but perfect can't be the enemy of good. Players of his ilk rarely become available anymore. And I do think he's available based on what we've heard out of Columbus in the first 40 games.

Re the bolded players, I'm not bringing Goose back for a raise, which I assume he'd want. In that case, I'd move on. Kaleta, though an improved penalty-killer and a good agitator, would likely not be brought back, either; I'd include him as filler in a deal if I could. I'm not going to pay a guy $1m+ who can't play more than 55 games in a season and plays a style that lends itself to those injuries. There's plenty of 4th line players who'll give you 82 games and don't take chintzy penalties because they now have a reputation around the league and with referees. I would, however, talk to Hecht about a one-year deal for about half of what he's making right now. I think he'd be a helpful bottom-6 center.

I also make sure Adam knows in no uncertain terms that a lot of this team's turnaround hinges on him becoming a full-time top-6 center, which is going to require a greater commitment in the skating, defensive, conditioning, and strength areas. I'd make sure the coaches and support staff were on his *** all offseason.

If they could swing that deal with Chicago for McNeill, Pirri, and Beach, I think next year's lineup could be:

Vanek-Adam-Pominville
Leino-Carter-Kassian
Gerbe-Pirri-Stafford
Vet 4th Liner in UFA-Hecht-Vet Defensive Presence in UFA
x Ellis

Beach and Tropp in the minors to start the season. McNeill still in the WHL.

Old
12-29-2011, 01:13 PM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
i like this plan!
swapping #1 center
acquiring a few good young pieces
... and above all...
getting Roy the **** outta here
Agreed, this would help steer this team in the right direction. Doubt Darcy's got the balls to trade Roy for futures though. This team would really have to hit rock bottom

Last edited by is the answer jesus: 12-29-2011 at 01:16 PM. Reason: nevermind. lol
is the answer jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Hmmmm... after the initial shock and dismay (and a solid drunken celebration):

1) Ruff gets the boot. New coach -- interview line forms to the right. Age/experience not a deciding factor.
2) I cattle call high-end scouting professionals and start recruiting to actually double the size of both the amateur and pro scouting staffs by the end of next year. I want hockey people, not just ex-Sabres.

Roster moves follow...

- Roy and Stafford as a package to the Wings. I can't hit CapGeek at the moment, so I'm not sure how much salary they'd have to send back to make it work. I'd be looking for Helm, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, and a first this year or next for that package or possibly shuffling that high of a pick out for Cleary and a mid-rounder if the Wings have to move the cap dollars. Helm (and Cleary) give them high-level checking players with speed.
- Gragnani for Hamill. Not nearly the same level of priority as #1, but addressing a need for a need. Rochester gets a body.
- Talk to Pegula/Black about stock-piling picks by using Terry's money to take on some bad contracts that then get waived down to the Amerks/Europe. If they go for it, then put it out to the league that they don't have to be the fall-guy for sending a guy to the minors. I'll do it and they're not coming back... just pay up with a pick to get that freedom.
- Leopold and the Sabres 2nd rounder for McNeill and the Hawk's 3rd this year if Chicago is still looking for a high-end all situations defenseman.
- That's it for now, afternoon meeting.

12-29-2011, 02:04 PM
puckish66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
With Terry O'Reilly I presume?

puckish66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckish66 View Post
With Terry O'Reilly I presume?
That's LQ's buddy, not mine. O'Reilly can rot.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:12 PM
moltenlava26

A. Fire Ruff. Bring in HC candidate who lets his Defense play denfense, and offense play offensive. Simple/effective. Try to steal an assist coach from the Nucks to maximize my PP and Erhoff.

B. Strip Pomer of his C. Give to Vanek

C. Trade Roy and trade 2 of 3; MAGs/Weber/Sekera. Get a deadline deal in place for neg rights for Parise. While Center is a need, the wingers and leadership have become the black hole. Roy leaving purges the troublemaker in my locker room, and Zach P adds the metal grit of a true captain. He and Vanek alternate the C ie Briere and Drury. (is there any doubt why the Sabres went on an epic winning streak when Roy went down? His PPG pace at the start of the season had the Sabres at/near the bottom of the Eastern conference).

D. No one is off limits except Vanek. He will be my center peice on my #1 line.
Miller/Myers/Kassian all go if the right deal can be made, in my favor.

I am blowing up the joint, and dumping dead weight cap space players. If all goes right, Shea Weber is my #1 target in the offseason.

moltenlava26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Hmmmm... after the initial shock and dismay (and a solid drunken celebration):

1) Ruff gets the boot. New coach -- interview line forms to the right. Age/experience not a deciding factor.
2) I cattle call high-end scouting professionals and start recruiting to actually double the size of both the amateur and pro scouting staffs by the end of next year. I want hockey people, not just ex-Sabres.

Roster moves follow...

- Roy and Stafford as a package to the Wings. I can't hit CapGeek at the moment, so I'm not sure how much salary they'd have to send back to make it work. I'd be looking for Helm, Sheahan, Jarnkrok, and a first this year or next for that package or possibly shuffling that high of a pick out for Cleary and a mid-rounder if the Wings have to move the cap dollars. Helm (and Cleary) give them high-level checking players with speed.
- Gragnani for Hamill. Not nearly the same level of priority as #1, but addressing a need for a need. Rochester gets a body.
- Talk to Pegula/Black about stock-piling picks by using Terry's money to take on some bad contracts that then get waived down to the Amerks/Europe. If they go for it, then put it out to the league that they don't have to be the fall-guy for sending a guy to the minors. I'll do it and they're not coming back... just pay up with a pick to get that freedom.
- Leopold and the Sabres 2nd rounder for McNeill and the Hawk's 3rd this year if Chicago is still looking for a high-end all situations defenseman.
I was asking for a similar package just for Roy (Helm, Sheahan, Pulkinen), adding in stafford makes it difficult to work cap wise. Detroit would probably have to send Hudler back which might cause Buffalo to need to add something.

Old
12-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I was asking for a similar package just for Roy (Helm, Sheahan, Pulkinen), adding in stafford makes it difficult to work cap wise. Detroit would probably have to send Hudler back which might cause Buffalo to need to add something.
I'd rather have Cleary than Hudler. Cleary has a use when he's not on a scoring streak. Hudler... not so much. Zip's Roy-to-Chicago deal is also interesting. The Hawks also seem to be in the market for a defenseman to push up from the third pairing. Leopold was the guy who seems like he'd fit in any role and with only a year left on his deal.... *shrug*

Edit: And a big part of the deal is getting Helm as a proven shutdown center with speed. Team-building wise, competitive players who can dog the puck and skate are musts. Augment speed with size/willingness to use it.

Old
12-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenlava26 View Post
A. Fire Ruff. Bring in HC candidate who lets his Defense play denfense, and offense play offensive. Simple/effective. Try to steal an assist coach from the Nucks to maximize my PP and Erhoff.

C. Trade Roy and trade 2 of 3; MAGs/Weber/Sekera. Get a deadline deal in place for neg rights for Parise. While Center is a need, the wingers and leadership have become the black hole. Roy leaving purges the troublemaker in my locker room, and Zach P adds the metal grit of a true captain. He and Vanek alternate the C ie Briere and Drury. (is there any doubt why the Sabres went on an epic winning streak when Roy went down? His PPG pace at the start of the season had the Sabres at/near the bottom of the Eastern conference).

D. No one is off limits except Vanek. He will be my center peice on my #1 line.
Miller/Myers/Kassian all go if the right deal can be made, in my favor.

I am blowing up the joint, and dumping dead weight cap space players. If all goes right, Shea Weber is my #1 target in the offseason.

Can you please explain your rationale for this? I can only imagine one excuse for stripping Pominville of the C, and that's because he doesn't play physical. He has been everything and more for this team.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:25 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by moltenlava26 View Post
Pommer with the letter has been one of the few bright spots this season. Why would you blow that up?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:33 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Rebuild, trade players for picks.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:34 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I'd rather have Cleary than Hudler. Cleary has a use when he's not on a scoring streak. Hudler... not so much. Zip's Roy-to-Chicago deal is also interesting. The Hawks also seem to be in the market for a defenseman to push up from the third pairing. Leopold was the guy who seems like he'd fit in any role and with only a year left on his deal.... *shrug*
I dont think Detroit goes anywhere near trading BOTH Helm and Cleary. That's 2 of their best PKers, physical top 9 guys, there 2 best 2 way forwards behind Dats/Zets.

The Chicago deal is interesting in a rebuilding way for sure...

I love the idea of the Detroit deal centered around Helm and Sheahan. I honestly think Roy for Helm makes us better immediately... getting Sheahan would wash the taste of that bungled 2010 draft out of my mouth.

Roy for Helm, Sheahan, 2nd ? done
Roy and Stafford for Helm, Sheahan, Jarnkok/Pulkinnen, 1st ? done

I'm ok with NOT getting max value in trade if the trade is addressing serious needs.

Adam(21), Helm(24), Sheahan(20), Jarnkrok(20) could be a very nice core

Yup... I think that's my favorite "sell" deal yet...
Roy, Stafford
for
Helm, Sheahan, Jarkrok

I don't even need the 1st to sign off on that deal

Old
12-29-2011, 02:40 PM
moltenlava26

Pomer and his stats are a by product of vaneks production. His lack of response when miller was run by lucic sent a clear message to his teammates. That message was I will be your captain when it's easy. I can live with his lack of physicality but when you are a captain, you set the tone for your team. He may have got his a$$ kicked, but some type of response was needed. If anyone was captain and hid like he did, I would strip that player of his C as well.
Pomer is a solid player who can play at an above average level at times, he is just not the captain if I'm GM

moltenlava26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I dont think Detroit goes anywhere near trading BOTH Helm and Cleary. That's 2 of their best PKers, physical top 9 guys, there 2 best 2 way forwards behind Dats/Zets.

The Chicago deal is interesting in a rebuilding way for sure...

I love the idea of the Detroit deal centered around Helm and Sheahan. I honestly think Roy for Helm makes us better immediately... getting Sheahan would wash the taste of that bungled 2010 draft out of my mouth.

Roy for Helm, Sheahan, 2nd ? done
Roy and Stafford for Helm, Sheahan, Jarnkok/Pulkinnen, 1st ? done

I'm ok with NOT getting max value in trade if the trade is addressing serious needs.

Adam(21), Helm(24), Sheahan(20), Jarnkrok(20) could be a very nice core

Yup... I think that's my favorite "sell" deal yet...
Roy, Stafford
for
Helm, Sheahan, Jarkrok

I don't even need the 1st to sign off on that deal
The first is probably too much from the Wings point of view, unless the Sabres are taking on Hudler's contract as well. If that was the hang-up, I'd be game and again, use Terry Warbucks cash to plant him overseas or in the AHL if necessary.

Helm is the high-end checking center the Sabres could sorely use. He's shown he can eliminate top-flight competition and raises his game in the playoffs. Cleary may be too much, but the bones of the deal being Roy and Stafford for some combination of building parts (Sheahan, Jarnkrok, Wings 1st) and Helm. If the Wings want to go just Stafford, it comes down to Sheahan and say the Wings 2nd. Helm though... want. Maybe swap out Cleary with Hudler to make it work from the Wings side cap-wise instead.