HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM 38: Vancouver 5 VS MilkHotDogs 2 (H.Sedin/Hodgson/Raymond/D.Sedinx2)

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2011, 01:33 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
I'd like to offer a slightly different take on our lack of PP time.

When we played the Ducks in the past it was always 60 minutes of hooking, hacking and whacking. Always a really tough team to play against.

But teams have become terrified of our PP and watching the game last night, the Ducks really laid off that stuff. Sure there were missed calls, but that went both ways. But the Ducks did not play with any aggression because it looked like they didn't want to risk going against our PP....and it ruined their game. They played *****cat all night long...so we burned them continually.

I like a good conspiracy as much as anyone, but it seems to me that teams are really approaching us cautiously. I don't believe the refs or the NHL have it in for us. I just think teams are afraid...as they should be. And with our 5 on 5 skills we can still bury them.
When the score is 4-0 and the PPs are 0-5... something is wrong.

When one team is dominating a game and hasn't been able to muster one PP? I know Anahiem wasn't playing an overtly cheap game like some of the others the Canucks have seen... but the Canucks are averaging maybe 2 PP's/game over there last 9 games or so.

Old
12-30-2011, 02:02 PM
GreenLantern

what's with the milkhotdogs thing? did i miss something?

Old
12-30-2011, 02:04 PM
VinnyC
trust in linden CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
From what I understood, Canucks players raised a couple hundred dollars for Bieksa to work in "milk" and "hot dogs" during his pre-game interview and he did just that, saying that the Ducks had a couple of "milk and hot dogs" in their team.

Old
12-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Fairweather

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post

When one team is dominating a game and hasn't been able to muster one PP? I know Anahiem wasn't playing an overtly cheap game like some of the others the Canucks have seen... but the Canucks are averaging maybe 2 PP's/game over there last 9 games or so.
Eh, they'll probably give us like 8 PP's in one game soon to make sure we don't look like we have too little PP's in terms of PP/game

Old
12-30-2011, 02:29 PM
SedBurrKesHiggLappy
The Kassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Some teammates bet Bieksa $300 that he couldn't fit "milk hotdogs" into his pre-game interview. Man, I saw the tweet, told my sis and pop that he was gonna say milk hotdog right after this commercial break... and man, you shoulda seen Bieksa's face just before the interview started... he had that evil "I'm gonna do something" grin before he had even said anything, and we knew it was gonna happen

And then I believe Burrows fit in "milky" into a post-game interview as well. Not sure.

EDIT: Video here: http://mlapierre.tumblr.com/post/15003770136

Last edited by SedBurrKesHiggLappy: 12-30-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old
12-30-2011, 02:39 PM
hackey
Oh Did I Offend You

"MiikHotdog" was too easy, it didn't even have to make sense

$300 is like a good steak and lobster dinner for these guys

Old
12-30-2011, 03:25 PM
ddawg1950

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post

Okay, so what do you think the reason is?

Old
12-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Wetcoaster

Duck mix-ups

Best mix-up

Boudreau apparently confused his Codys and Corys yesterday before the game. “I've got to believe we'll see Hodgson tonight,” he said, obviously meaning Cory Schneider. But he probably wishes it had been Cody Hodgson between the pipes. Maybe even between his own to start the game.

Best mix-up II

Schooled in football, where the tip of the ball just has to cross the plane for a score, Ducks fans were flabbergasted when a review of a Bobby Ryan puck that showed the disc starting to cross the line upheld the no-goal decision made on the ice. Dear Ducks fans: The whole puck has to cross the line for it to be a goal.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Pr...#ixzz1i3hQIn8l

Old
12-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
"MiikHotdog" was too easy, it didn't even have to make sense

$300 is like a good steak and lobster dinner for these guys
Well to be fair it would include a bottle of cheap wine.

Old
12-30-2011, 04:25 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Agreed on both counts. I don't really understand the movement to ditch Malhotra. Even if the Canucks were to do that (which I will virtually gurantee that they won't), just who exactly are they hoping he will be replaced by? It would be a step backwards.
Last night on a number of PK defensive zone face-offs Malhotra came out, won the draw and then the puck was fired down the ice as he was replaced on the ice. And even when he does not win outright he usually is able to scramble the draw.

When you can send the other team 200 feet the other way while you are on the PK that goes along way to putting up top PK numbers.

It is tough to get back in top shape during the season, particularly when you have the sort of travel schedule the Canucks have.

Old
12-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg1950 View Post
So, you are saying it is not a conspiracy but kind of an unconscious bias based on factors of intimidation from above. In other words, someone, or a few someone's, have it in for us and there is a trickle down effect.

Which is a good point, although not particularly provable. But you could well be right.

My point was, is, I also think that teams are afraid of our PP and that is changing Their game...which plays into our hands.

The problem with our guys frequently speaking out, is that it can come back to bite you...and it also may feed the bias that exists.
I thought John Shorthouse made an interesting comment last night - it is not "game management" it is "score management".

Old
12-30-2011, 04:38 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I actually don't think it's necessarily that someone in power has it "out" for the Canucks -- that seems a bit unlikely. I just think the team is a bit whiny and, unfortunately, NHL officials (on and off the ice) seem to think protecting their own honour/image is more importnat than officiating a proper game. I think the Auger thing didn't help, and Bieksa's comments about Pollock were ignored and when people like Friedman asked "unnamed" people in the NHL they said it should "stay on the ice" (of course they think that...).

Basically I think Kerry Fraser's hideously illogical column on TSN.ca pretty much confirmed all the things I suspect about some of the officials in the game and how petty and egotistical they are. The NHL could take a page from the NFL's book: they hold them to a high standard, expect them to call the game the same at all times, and put it on the teams/players to play within the rules.

The NHL might need a bit more situational leeway on what is called. I'm fine with loosening up the game a bit in the playoffs, but you still have to call it to a standard and not let every game devolve into a grab fest. The Boston/Tampa Game 7 was an absolute joke, for example.
You do have to wonder when a blatant interference by Boychuk on Mason Raymond resulting in a near catastrophic injury is termed a "puck battle" with "no malicious intent"when the puck was nowhere to be seen near the players yet Rome delivers a legal hit that is infinitesimally late (.25 seconds) and he is suspended for the rest of the series for interference.

As Darren Dreger reported during the SCF:
But late in the third period of Game 6, Brad Marchand of the Bruins punched Daniel Sedin four times and the Canucks forward did not retaliate.

Afterwards, Sedin said he'll take those punches but he did get upset when referee Kelly Sutherland separated the two players.

Sedin said he asked Sutherland why he wasn't calling a penalty and the referee responded with 'I will'. Sedin jokingly replied, 'When, after the fifth punch?'

Old
12-30-2011, 04:44 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
From what I understood, Canucks players raised a couple hundred dollars for Bieksa to work in "milk" and "hot dogs" during his pre-game interview and he did just that, saying that the Ducks had a couple of "milk and hot dogs" in their team.
Not very creative. Bieksa should have said something along the line that "the Sharks played hard last night - like they had missed their usual pre-game meal of milk, hot dogs and ice cream".

Old
12-30-2011, 04:49 PM
JabbaJabba

Hey Ducks fan here just wanted to congratz you for the win. We had no business winning this one with crappy plays and bad efforts from few of our key players. Schneider was great and defence was good. Could you beat the Kings like 6-0 to complete your California hat trick?

Old
12-30-2011, 05:00 PM
adamzilla

The referees in the NHL are garbage and not good at their job whatsoever. Needs an overhaul.

The referees take penalties, dives, embellishment, and complaining from players as a slight or sign of disrespect against them personally. They're just stupid and emotional.

When in reality the players are just trying to win the damn game and really don't give a **** about the referee.

This is the conclusion I've come to.

Call the game the way it is SUPPOSED to be called, refs.

Old
12-30-2011, 05:31 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I actually don't think it's necessarily that someone in power has it "out" for the Canucks -- that seems a bit unlikely. I just think the team is a bit whiny and, unfortunately, NHL officials (on and off the ice) seem to think protecting their own honour/image is more importnat than officiating a proper game. I think the Auger thing didn't help, and Bieksa's comments about Pollock were ignored and when people like Friedman asked "unnamed" people in the NHL they said it should "stay on the ice" (of course they think that...).

Basically I think Kerry Fraser's hideously illogical column on TSN.ca pretty much confirmed all the things I suspect about some of the officials in the game and how petty and egotistical they are. The NHL could take a page from the NFL's book: they hold them to a high standard, expect them to call the game the same at all times, and put it on the teams/players to play within the rules.

The NHL might need a bit more situational leeway on what is called. I'm fine with loosening up the game a bit in the playoffs, but you still have to call it to a standard and not let every game devolve into a grab fest. The Boston/Tampa Game 7 was an absolute joke, for example.
You get the feeling that they take the approach "the game is too important to be called by the rules".

IMHO they should be taking "the game is too important not to be called by the rules".

Old
12-30-2011, 05:53 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Hey Ducks fan here just wanted to congratz you for the win. We had no business winning this one with crappy plays and bad efforts from few of our key players. Schneider was great and defence was good. Could you beat the Kings like 6-0 to complete your California hat trick?
Aren't the Kings playing well right now? Will probably be a good tilt.

Old
12-30-2011, 05:57 PM
CCF
This is the year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Aren't the Kings playing well right now? Will probably be a good tilt.
Playing better but still can't score.

If the Canucks score more than 2 goals might as well call the game.

LA is a great team on paper - just haven't been able to put it all together.

Old
12-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Hielo Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
That's the plan. Now if the universe unfolds as it should...

Rumour has it that even Flames fans are cheering for Canucks in this one. ¡Increíble!

Old
12-30-2011, 07:27 PM
peanutflower

I think the team is better this year than it was last year and that's showing up Malhotra. I do believe though, FWIW, that Manny brings some pretty big intangibles with him. That must be worth a lot when the going gets tough.

Old
12-30-2011, 07:42 PM
Free Kassian

Going to shut this one down now. We've got a new GDT for the Kings game tomorrow.

Closed Thread