HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mediocrity not Meritocracy

Old
12-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Your saying the team is performing up to expectations but you still don't like him as a coach yet your happy he was extended as long as it was for only one year (hopefully).

Kind of all over the place arn't you .

If you think he's doing a good job then why don't you like him and why wouldn't you want him extended for a longer period ?
You don't have to like somebody to think they do a good job.

Dreakmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:48 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1323
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustysvetz View Post
Worst argument ever. Said it before and I will say it again: most coaches don't have a job in the nhl long enough to accumulate as many losses
So it's okay to point to games played and wins but not losses . You'd have a point if you said that GP's should only be taken into account but to ignore his W/L record to prove your longevity point shows your bias .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:49 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
So it's okay to point to games played and wins but not losses . You'd have a point if you said that GP's should only be taken into account but to ignore his W/L record to prove your longevity point shows your bias .
There is no such thing as an argument without bias. The question is whether the bias stands upon foundation. Spend more time pointing out Wilson's deficiencies as a coach instead of the person you're arguing with.

Newfie John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 05:51 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
You don't have to like somebody to think they do a good job.
True but he said he didn't like him as a coach , he didn't say it was about him personally .

Also , if he thinks RW is doing a good job then why wouldn't he want extended for longer term ?

Old
12-29-2011, 05:58 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
True but he said he didn't like him as a coach , he didn't say it was about him personally .

Also , if he thinks RW is doing a good job then why wouldn't he want extended for longer term ?
Because he hasn't earned it yet.

It's unfair to fire Wilson at this point. It's also not right to give him a big fat extension. It's also unwise to go into the all-star break with a coach with an expiring contract.

What does that leave?

Old
12-29-2011, 05:59 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie John View Post
There is no such thing as an argument without bias. The question is whether the bias stands upon foundation. Spend more time pointing out Wilson's deficiencies as a coach instead of the person you're arguing with.
I did try to point out his losses when only his games played and wins were mentioned . The poster however wasn't interested in hearing about any deficiencies about Ronnie or his record .

Old
12-29-2011, 06:00 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I did try to point out his losses when only his games played and wins were mentioned . The poster however wasn't interested in hearing about any deficiencies about Ronnie or his record .
I'd love to hear about them. Don't throw stats at me, because I can throw them back at you in a circular and pointless argument. I'm really trying to understand the anti-Wilson point of view. I just asked another poster this, you can do the same. Point out, specifically, Ron Wilson's coaching deficiencies.

Old
12-29-2011, 06:05 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Because he hasn't earned it yet.

It's unfair to fire Wilson at this point. It's also not right to give him a big fat extension. It's also unwise to go into the all-star break with a coach with an expiring contract.

What does that leave?
Why was it wise to enter the season with a lame duck coach but it's unwise to go into the allstar game with one ?

I keep hearing he can be fired at any time regardless of whether he was extended or not , if this is true how does extending him at this time change anything .

Old
12-29-2011, 06:13 PM
KuleminFan41

People are too stupid not to notice next year is NOT a guarantee.If he does not make the playoffs he's gone, simple as that hes fired friend or not. If we make it to the playoffs then we got our coach for next season without risking letting him go for holding out for more money. Its smart if we make the playoffs if we don't, its not like we don't have the money to fire him and get a new coach which people seem to fail to realize

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:16 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
I'd love to hear about them. Don't throw stats at me, because I can throw them back at you in a circular and pointless argument. I'm really trying to understand the anti-Wilson point of view. I just asked another poster this, you can do the same. Point out, specifically, Ron Wilson's coaching deficiencies.
I didn't bring up any stats , you know this but for some reason are twisting the point i was trying to make .

I don't believe his pond style of hockey can be successful in the playoffs ( if we get there ) .

I blame him for not improving our PK which if it continues at it's current pace will cost us a playoff spot .

I have more but the wife needs me to take her somewhere . See ya soon .

Old
12-29-2011, 06:17 PM
WoratCase*

Quote:
Your saying the team is performing up to expectations but you still don't like him as a coach yet your happy he was extended as long as it was for only one year (hopefully).

Kind of all over the place arn't you .

If you think he's doing a good job then why don't you like him and why wouldn't you want him extended for a longer period ?
Where did I say I was happy he got an extension? I said it's understandable. I can still not like him as coach but realize the team is playing at or above expectations. I question his decisions sometimes and he seems to be a lazy coach. He's clueless as to when to call a time-out and lets teams carry on with their momentum.He never seemed to have anything good to say about his players but that has changed recently. Plus I hate his face. I do love how he trolls the media and hope he continues to do so.

My question to you is, did you really expect the Leafs to be better than they currently are?

WoratCase* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
People are too stupid not to notice next year is NOT a guarantee.If he does not make the playoffs he's gone, simple as that hes fired friend or not. If we make it to the playoffs then we got our coach for next season without risking letting him go for holding out for more money. Its smart if we make the playoffs if we don't, its not like we don't have the money to fire him and get a new coach which people seem to fail to realize
EVERYONE KNOWS THAT HE CAN STILL GET FIRED!!!

Old
12-29-2011, 06:20 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
EVERYONE KNOWS THAT HE CAN STILL GET FIRED!!!
The way people complain about it, doesn't seem like people know that.

And typing in caps makes you look retarded

Old
12-29-2011, 06:22 PM
Dreakmur

Anyone get a laugh when Wilson tried to shift some of the PK issues onto the media? What a ******.....

"maybe if you guys would stop talking about it so much, the players could just relax and not worry about giving up a goal"

Old
12-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
The way people complain about it, doesn't seem like people know that.

And typing in caps makes you look retarded
Typing in caps is me yelling. Everyone knows - it's been explained to death.

Ron Wilson shouldn't have been extended. Not for one year. Not for one month. Not for one game. He has done a mediocre job at best.

Old
12-29-2011, 06:40 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafidelity View Post
Yeah only only stumbled onto these thing;

Regular season games coached
1337 (6th alltime)

Regular season coaching wins
619 (7th alltime)

But I guess he's been employed all this time because he's Burkes buddy right?

Guy gets the Larry Murphy treatment from absolutely psychotic fans. A 1 year extension and people want to fire the GM? All failure but no success should be credited to Wilson? Do you people even realize how unstable you sound?

Do I think he's the best coach in of all time? Ofcourse not, but I realize you can't place 100% of the blame for a game played on the ice on a man standing on the bench. Wilson should take some blame, but so should that personnel that can't execute. I'm not going to fly off the handle because the GM has decided to stay the course for a team that is just now finding an identity.

Burke decides to stay the course, because he has a young playoff-projected team, and some of you act like he's set the building on fire and locked everyone in.

Get ahold of yourselves and learn a little tact, it's freaking embarrassing to other Leafs fans.
How many stanley cups.....?

Sam Slick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Happy Fan
nifty

real coaching shines through in the playoffs so if we get there this year next year he'll really be a lame duck and have to make the playoffs again and take them further.

Happy Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
I didn't bring up any stats , you know this but for some reason are twisting the point i was trying to make .

I don't believe his pond style of hockey can be successful in the playoffs ( if we get there ) .

I blame him for not improving our PK which if it continues at it's current pace will cost us a playoff spot .

I have more but the wife needs me to take her somewhere . See ya soon .
I was wondering how you'd get yourself out of it. The other guy just ignored my query.

Old
12-29-2011, 06:45 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Slick View Post
How many stanley cups.....?
As a coach?

The same amount as Dallas Eakins... who is Superman if you haven't noticed.

Old
12-29-2011, 06:54 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:

Ron Wilson shouldn't have been extended. Not for one year. Not for one month. Not for one game. He has done a mediocre job at best.
Sure its been explained but understanding it is another thing. Most people can't comprehend that he can be fired

Old
12-29-2011, 06:57 PM
WoratCase*

Quote:

I'm guessing your delusions had the Leafs running away with the conference.

WoratCase* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 07:36 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
I was wondering how you'd get yourself out of it. The other guy just ignored my query.
Get myself out of what ? Do you think it's that hard to find faults with Wilson ?

Funny how your critizing people for ignoring queries when your guilty of the same thing . Why don't you answer my post 83 query ?

Old
12-29-2011, 07:50 PM
hotpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoratCase View Post
Where did I say I was happy he got an extension? I said it's understandable. I can still not like him as coach but realize the team is playing at or above expectations. I question his decisions sometimes and he seems to be a lazy coach. He's clueless as to when to call a time-out and lets teams carry on with their momentum.He never seemed to have anything good to say about his players but that has changed recently. Plus I hate his face. I do love how he trolls the media and hope he continues to do so.

My question to you is, did you really expect the Leafs to be better than they currently are?
A one year extension isn't understandable . Either Burke has faith in his coach or he doesn't . If he does then give him a longer extension , if he doesn't then fire him , if he's unsure then wait until the season is over .

I do agree with your knocks against him , especially the hate his face part .

As for your question . I believe a team can perfom better than the sum of it's part . I believe the best coach's can get more out of there team than what's expected . I want Wilson replaced because he's had 3 plus years to get team to perform and has failed .

Old
12-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Ok.

1-He calls time outs at the wrong time.
2-He was brought here because he had a good PK record in San Jose. As it turns out, he had good players there for the pk.
3-He throws young players under the bus.
4-He is emotionless
5-He has poor control of his bench ie, the florida game that cost a goal because of too many men.
6-He constantly puts the wrong players on at the wrong times.
7-He does not motivate. Phaneuf does it.
8-He cannot match lines.
9-He mixes the lines ie. Boston games
10-He is too arrogant and gets by on his past records. He is smug, egotistical, etc.
11- he is always getting out coached and it is a joke.
12-He does not have a good break out on the PP
13 He does not have a good break out 5 on 5
14-He does not utilze his assistant coaches good enough

Hows that for a start?

And to boot, he has the worst pk in the league as well as the 25th worst D system.

If you had a coach like that would you extend him? Not unless he was your best friend.

RON WILSON IS A JOKE!!

Old
12-29-2011, 08:05 PM
Sam Slick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws;41624121[B
]A one year extension isn't understandable . Either Burke has faith in his coach or he doesn't . If he does then give him a longer extension , if he doesn't then fire him , if he's unsure then wait until the season is over .
[/B]
I do agree with your knocks against him , especially the hate his face part .

As for your question . I believe a team can perfom better than the sum of it's part . I believe the best coach's can get more out of there team than what's expected . I want Wilson replaced because he's had 3 plus years to get team to perform and has failed .
This