HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Why did CBJ give up on McQuaid?

Old
12-29-2011, 12:56 PM
pigeonsonpopcorn

vCash: 500
Why did CBJ give up on McQuaid?

Hi Bruins fan here come in peace. I'm wondering why the Jackets gave up on Adam McQuaid or as some of us Bruins fans lovingly call him ' Darth Quaider'. He is a great #5 D man with I believe 3 or 4 potential. He is also a great fighter and team guy as we saw last night in his beatdown of Ralfi Torres. Who in CBJ management thought it was a good idea to dump him for a 5th rounder and why.

pigeonsonpopcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:03 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Edit see post 6

Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 12-29-2011 at 02:09 PM.
1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:34 PM
blahblah

I could be totally off, but I could have sworn there was a contact issue with this guy. I seem to remember an interview with this guy earlier in the year.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:42 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I could be totally off, but I could have sworn there was a contact issue with this guy. I seem to remember an interview with this guy earlier in the year.
That sounds right. He wasn't going to sign. They wanted to get something rather than nothing.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Matt Foley
Living in a van

The real title of this thread should be, "Why did McQuaid choose not to sign with Columbus?"

Matt Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 01:59 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

You know what I went back and looked at this again and I am not really sure why he was traded. He did come to camp twice but never signed a contract but I can not find where the Jackets ever offered him a contract. If I had to guess it would be that he was offered a contract but never signed and after two camps the Jackets were ready to move on.

BTW here is what happened with that 5th round pick.

Columbus packaged the 5th round pick they received into a deal with Dallas to move up to the 4th round. Columbus selected Maksim Mayorov and Dallas used the 5th rounder originally owned by Boston to take Jamie Benn.

Last edited by 1857 Howitzer: 12-29-2011 at 02:10 PM.
1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
That sounds right. He wasn't going to sign. They wanted to get something rather than nothing.
This. Columbus couldn't get him signed and wanted an asset for him...

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
You know what I went back and looked at this again and I am not really sure why he was traded. He did come to camp twice but never signed a contract but I can not find where the Jackets ever offered him a contract. If I had to guess it would be that he was offered a contract but never signed and after two camps that Jackets were ready to move on.

BTW here is what happened with that 5th round pick.

Columbus packaged the 5th round pick they received into a deal with Dallas to move up to the 4th round. Columbus selected Maksim Mayorov and Dallas used the 5th rounder originally owned by Boston to take Jamie Benn.
Couldn't leave well enough alone could you?

Damn...funny how things work sometimes.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2011, 06:09 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Whatever the question is or should be, the answer is... because we're stupid!

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:21 AM
caley

Just to add my completely unnecessary 2 cents here, I do know that Columbus was still scouting McQuaid toward the tail end of the 2006-2007 season because in Gare Joyce's book he mentions either being asked to scout McQuaid or that Jackets scouts were in attendance to watch him (I forget which) so either they weren't impressed with what they saw and dealt him before losing his rights or they were trying to gauge whether he was worth what he was asking for and decided against it.

caley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 06:47 AM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Hated it at the time, hate it more now. I thought he was a steal where the Jackets drafted him, and to see McQuaid be beast now......frustrating. He's exactly the hard-hitting, stick up for your teammate d-man every team wants.

01-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Palinka

There are three possible reasons, any one of which is possible.

The first is that McQuaid's development wasn't as fast as hoped for, meaning that he wasn't offered a contract and the team was going to lose him for nothing.

The second is that he was offered a contract, but rejected it.

The third is that Jim Clark, who was the interim GM at that point, wanted to have his name attached to something tangible in the all-time transaction register.

In reality, it's probably a blending of the first two. Yes, McQuaid wasn't a sure thing to be any more than an AHL depth defenseman. But I also don't remember hearing about him wanting to re-enter the draft. So it's either he wasn't offered a contract at all (possible) or that he was offered a contract that was substantially less than expected (also possible).

This is basically exactly what happened to the Islanders with Jyri Niemi.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote