HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Soaring cost of sports rights squeezing CBC on to sidelines

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2011, 11:36 AM
  #26
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
And why does shutting the CBC mean the death of the CFL? Your supposition assumes there will be nothing to fill the void in the market left by the CBC. Really???? Did the government shutter Air Canada or Petro Canada when they got out of those markets? No, they were sold off to private interests for cold hard cash and the same would happen with the Ceeb. The new management would still have the ability to go after whatever content they wanted, if TSN were to be the only apparant bidder on CFL rights and I were in charge of the new-cbc I'd be going after this product which would give TSN pause about bidding too low for this.

Hamilton still has more than one pro team from what I hear too, or is the AHL too low brow for the golden horseshoes CBC-type standards?
We already have three networks. CityTV in the major areaa. CTV, and Global. We have three sports networks. The score, sportsnet, and tsn.
The market is crowed and Shaw/The Score have shown no intrest in bidding. None what so ever.
And what gives you the idea it would be sold? They are talking a PBS format, which would lead to a decrease in revenues, or out right clousure. This does not mean the death of the CFL on its own but will lead to a heavy decrease in revenues.

There is no spinoff happening anywhere. 3 private networks is enough for 34 million. The government knows this.


Last edited by Melrose Munch: 12-30-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:07 PM
  #27
cbcwpg
Registered User
 
cbcwpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Between the Pipes
Country: United Nations
Posts: 7,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
At this point the CBC provides NOTHING that the private sector broadcasters don't provide.
I don't have the numbers, but I remember back in the day that a certain percentage of people in Canada could only watch NHL hockey via CBC as this was thier only TV feed. Not having kept up to date on the technologies avail. in the Canadian North, is this still the case? Or can people up thier now get all the same feeds that people in the south can get?

cbcwpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 12:55 PM
  #28
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
I don't have the numbers, but I remember back in the day that a certain percentage of people in Canada could only watch NHL hockey via CBC as this was thier only TV feed. Not having kept up to date on the technologies avail. in the Canadian North, is this still the case? Or can people up thier now get all the same feeds that people in the south can get?
All the Big networks have repeaters now, but that is not really the same. Places like red deer and brandon have lost local coverage. That will increase with the lost of the CBC.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:03 PM
  #29
Kitsune
Registered User
 
Kitsune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Toronto ON CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 712
vCash: 500
rogers would be the best bet... Citytv doesnt have the same kind of commitents that CTV has... and would prolly have a easier time of fitting playoff games into its TV Schedule. However... with rogers and bell both owning the Leafs... I wonder if some kind of gentlemans agreement was struck when it comes to the next round of NHL TV rights in Canada..

Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:16 PM
  #30
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
rogers would be the best bet... Citytv doesnt have the same kind of commitents that CTV has... and would prolly have a easier time of fitting playoff games into its TV Schedule. However... with rogers and bell both owning the Leafs... I wonder if some kind of gentlemans agreement was struck when it comes to the next round of NHL TV rights in Canada..
All the Leafs on CTV while the Jays and Raptors on Rogers.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 01:18 PM
  #31
Mungman
It's you not me.
 
Mungman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Outside the Asylum
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,972
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcwpg View Post
I don't have the numbers, but I remember back in the day that a certain percentage of people in Canada could only watch NHL hockey via CBC as this was thier only TV feed. Not having kept up to date on the technologies avail. in the Canadian North, is this still the case? Or can people up thier now get all the same feeds that people in the south can get?
Pffff with the switch to digital even areas in the south aren't served by CBC (or the other OTA options) the way they were. In Manitoba, get close to Gimli and CBC is hard to get. Satellite is the way it's covered now, then you get it all.

Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:05 PM
  #32
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
rogers would be the best bet... Citytv doesnt have the same kind of commitents that CTV has... and would prolly have a easier time of fitting playoff games into its TV Schedule. However... with rogers and bell both owning the Leafs... I wonder if some kind of gentlemans agreement was struck when it comes to the next round of NHL TV rights in Canada..
Citytv does have a full line up as it is i think it would be hard to fit play off game sin unless they launched a citytv 2 type channel.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:07 PM
  #33
waltlantz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
This reminds me of back in Britiain.

The Simpsons was airing on BBC2 and was very popular but the rights got really high and they backed out and let a commercial channel have it.

Sure the CBC gets tax money but they can't very well bid as high as they would otherwise on sports because of it. The BBC can't and it has a licence fee system.

Sooner or later I see the CBC giving up major sports because it will be just too expensive.

As far as the structure of it.....hmm interesting question. Killion breaks it down quite well. Here in America, people acknowledge PBS as something nice at best but ratings are not much better than the average cable channel. As opposed to Europe and Asia, TV in the Americas was created to make money, end of story. The same public broadcast culture doesn't exist in the land of Hollywood (not saying that derogatively but that's the long and short of it).

Odds are the CBC would survive without hockey, but if it doesn't have some major sports material on, it will be very hard to keep up. Even the Australian ABC has regional Rugby action and various olympic sporting events. And the ABC is no BBC either.

waltlantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:25 PM
  #34
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
Hey, I mean I live in southern ontario, I won't be affected in the least by this. I mean like I mentioned before without competetion CTV will charge what they want for its event and why pay 25 million for the CFL? 5 million will be enough. They can also bring the NFL team they want so bad here as well. Put that on CTV as well, rake the cash from that. If your in Toronto or Vancouver this works fine. ROC not so much, but the praries don't understand that.


These same people will argue the CFL should be around for the same reasons. But the CBC, no its a waste of tax money. CBC is not worth privitazation. Plus if CTV gets HNIC I'll be okay since they'll only ever show the Leafs, Canucks and the Canadiens/ Nordiques. No more middle of the country teams or Ottawa since they're fanbases are not as big. And no protest will force CTV to change unlike CTV, which will do things to meet its bottom line
If Bell was to get the Hnic package i would think all Canadian teams would be part of the deal as for Ottawa fan base is not as big sure but its still a fair size base and if you sayw ere only going to show 3 or 4 markets they would be lossing out on money.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:38 PM
  #35
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,669
vCash: 500
Why should the CBC always have it?

Why should a taxpayer-subsidized public broadcaster spend millions of dollars for the rights to show entertainment programming (pro sports), when there are plenty of private broadcasters who would gladly pay to show it?

I know Americans and Canadians may have different views of these things, but from my perspective, this is far beyond the mandate of a public broadcast operation. Surely there are better things to spend the taxpayers' money on? I couldn't imagine the outrage in the US if PBS were spending that kind of money to broadcast pro sports.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:51 PM
  #36
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW
 
Concordski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 8,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Why should the CBC always have it?

Why should a taxpayer-subsidized public broadcaster spend millions of dollars for the rights to show entertainment programming (pro sports), when there are plenty of private broadcasters who would gladly pay to show it?

I know Americans and Canadians may have different views of these things, but from my perspective, this is far beyond the mandate of a public broadcast operation. Surely there are better things to spend the taxpayers' money on? I couldn't imagine the outrage in the US if PBS were spending that kind of money to broadcast pro sports.
To expose their programming to Middle Class Canadians, I'm pretty sure that a higher percentage of Middle-Class Canadians watch the non-hockey programming on CBC than Middle-Class Americans watch PBS. Or we could just compare CBC with TVO in Ontario, which is like a provincially run PBS.

Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 02:57 PM
  #37
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
If Bell was to get the Hnic package i would think all Canadian teams would be part of the deal as for Ottawa fan base is not as big sure but its still a fair size base and if you sayw ere only going to show 3 or 4 markets they would be lossing out on money.
No, they would not be losing money. Did you read what I just wrote? CTV will make a profit and cut costs. That means Vancouver on Late game and Leafs/Canadiens/Nords. Do you really think CTV will lose money by not showing Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg? The can dump them on a local sub feed. Ottawa? you will never see them on TV again especially if Hamilton gets a team in the near future.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:10 PM
  #38
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
No, they would not be losing money. Did you read what I just wrote? CTV will make a profit and cut costs. That means Vancouver on Late game and Leafs/Canadiens/Nords. Do you really think CTV will lose money by not showing Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg? The can dump them on a local sub feed. Ottawa? you will never see them on TV again especially if Hamilton gets a team in the near future.

I find it amazing you just single out Ottawa i am not saying they would show them as a National game but as a regional games as for they will never be on tv again there is zero chance of that happening again maybe not alot of national games but they will be on tv there is no chance they will not be on any tv at all.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:25 PM
  #39
Killion
Global Moderator
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Casablanca
Country: Morocco
Posts: 26,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Why should the CBC always have it?

Why should a taxpayer-subsidized public broadcaster spend millions of dollars for the rights to show entertainment programming (pro sports), when there are plenty of private broadcasters who would gladly pay to show it?

I know Americans and Canadians may have different views of these things, but from my perspective, this is far beyond the mandate of a public broadcast operation. Surely there are better things to spend the taxpayers' money on? I couldn't imagine the outrage in the US if PBS were spending that kind of money to broadcast pro sports.
Thats' a solid argument & point against the CBC of course. The money paid to secure the rights using taxpayer revenue is a subsidy no matter what name you wanna call the horse by. PBS, TV Ontario, Knowledge Network are quite another species from the CBC. They are commercial free altogether whereas CBC & CBC NewsWorld are Public/Commercial entities. Colloquial, provincial, antiquated, an oxymoron in a hyper-competitive field that has outlived its usefulness & relevancy. Needs to be completely re-configured & re-structured. Personally, Im not quite full-bore on the matter, but clearly if they dont find a way to re-invent themselves themselves then decisions will be made for them, and thats when The Real Screaming Begins... yep.

Scream & Scream Again mine liebchen, no one will hear, for its too late...


Last edited by Killion: 12-30-2011 at 03:32 PM.
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:41 PM
  #40
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I find it amazing you just single out Ottawa i am not saying they would show them as a National game but as a regional games as for they will never be on tv again there is zero chance of that happening again maybe not alot of national games but they will be on tv there is no chance they will not be on any tv at all.
It already happened two years ago during preseason. Ottawa has the smallest fanbase so why would CTV put them on at 7?

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:42 PM
  #41
Brodie
I'm a jackhammer
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 13,882
vCash: 500
The mandate for a public broadcaster is to broadcast things of cultural importance and HNIC is absolutely within that mandate.

Americans are hopelessly terrified of taxpayer money being spent on anything... of course there'd be outrage, this is a country where the majority of people don't even want the government to provide them with free insurance because it might take money they're already spending out of their pockets.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 03:50 PM
  #42
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
It already happened two years ago during preseason. Ottawa has the smallest fanbase so why would CTV put them on at 7?
Pre-season is one thing but to say they never will have a game on tv again is just not true right Tsn & Sportsnet are not going to drop all the Ottawa games and as for Ctv as i said before they may not show Alot of national games but i could see them having Regional games on Ctv Ottawa.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:27 PM
  #43
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Pre-season is one thing but to say they never will have a game on tv again is just not true right Tsn & Sportsnet are not going to drop all the Ottawa games and as for Ctv as i said before they may not show Alot of national games but i could see them having Regional games on Ctv Ottawa.
I said national games. National wide CTV will not show Ottawa games at 7. They're goal is to make monet nor to be fair. Most Ottawa, Edmonton, Calagry, Winnipeg games will be on a local sub feed, I already covered that.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:30 PM
  #44
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The mandate for a public broadcaster is to broadcast things of cultural importance and HNIC is absolutely within that mandate.

Americans are hopelessly terrified of taxpayer money being spent on anything... of course there'd be outrage, this is a country where the majority of people don't even want the government to provide them with free insurance because it might take money they're already spending out of their pockets.
And then the rest pay will pay the price for their massive credit card Bills like they do after every holiday season.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:49 PM
  #45
DoyleG
Mr. Reality
 
DoyleG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: YEG--->YYJ
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
That the CBC lost these rights isn't surprising. I was more surprised when they won the rights to host FIFA events. The games outside of the WC were limited (usually the finals only), shown late night, or are relegated online.

TSN was a natural host for these events from their inception. Having Sportsnet involved (hopefully) would be better.

DoyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:54 PM
  #46
MarkMM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delta, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The mandate for a public broadcaster is to broadcast things of cultural importance and HNIC is absolutely within that mandate.

Americans are hopelessly terrified of taxpayer money being spent on anything... of course there'd be outrage, this is a country where the majority of people don't even want the government to provide them with free insurance because it might take money they're already spending out of their pockets.
Not that I disagree on the need for some kind of public healthcare system, but to be fair, I think there is a valid point many make about publicly funded services if they are suspicious as to whether the government would do a better job choosing how to spend that money than they would with their own money.

In the end, I lean towards healthcare being a bit like infrastructure, it's more efficient if we all chip in to build the best system to be shared rather than us each grouping to build our own private networks of roads, but I don't think that those who are suspicious of government insurance are completely clueless. Like the CBC, it's a complicated issue and all sides have a fair point.

MarkMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 04:58 PM
  #47
wjhl2009fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,043
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose Munch View Post
I said national games. National wide CTV will not show Ottawa games at 7. They're goal is to make monet nor to be fair. Most Ottawa, Edmonton, Calagry, Winnipeg games will be on a local sub feed, I already covered that.
I don't think they would get alot of national games the one they do i think would be afternoon games.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:42 PM
  #48
MayDay
Registered User
 
MayDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Mount Kisco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,669
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
The mandate for a public broadcaster is to broadcast things of cultural importance and HNIC is absolutely within that mandate.
But HNIC (and hockey in general) will be broadcast in Canada regardless, whether CBC is doing it or someone else.

You can make the argument that hockey is culturally important to Canadians and therefore needs to be televised. That's absolutely true. And if the only way to bring this culturally-important programming to the people was for a public broadcaster to step in and do it, then I would agree that they should. But that is clearly not the case. If the CBC didn't have those TV rights, some other broadcaster would happily pay for them and broadcast those games.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 05:51 PM
  #49
Melrose Munch
Registered User
 
Melrose Munch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 16,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
But HNIC (and hockey in general) will be broadcast in Canada regardless, whether CBC is doing it or someone else.

You can make the argument that hockey is culturally important to Canadians and therefore needs to be televised. That's absolutely true. And if the only way to bring this culturally-important programming to the people was for a public broadcaster to step in and do it, then I would agree that they should. But that is clearly not the case. If the CBC didn't have those TV rights, some other broadcaster would happily pay for them and broadcast those games.
And then show whatever they want. CBC has two show all seven teams. CTV does not have to.

Melrose Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 08:09 PM
  #50
knorthern knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,900
vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
I may be missing something but why is CBC having trouble putting up the same money as tsn or sportsnet.

Tsn and sportsnet only get money from advertizements and CBC gets it from advertizements AND tax payers. If CBC is getting a bonus from tax payers, shouldn't it have the advantage? It says CBC is worried they won't renew their hockey night in canada rights because they want the ad revenues...why don't they pay up then...if it costs too much that you wouldn't make it back in ads, then how the heck does tsn/sportsnet afford it?
TSN and Sportsnet are pay TV channels, which gives them a couple of major advantages...
  1. They get paid per subscriber. And on Rogers Cable, you can't get cable service (even basic) without getting Rogers Sportsnet. Similarly for TSN on Bell Fibe and satellite. That's significant revenue.
  2. Because they're pay TV, they only have to feed a signal to the cable/satellite head ends. They don't have to put up and run OTA (Over The Air) transmitters all over the country like CBC has to.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.